The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

If the barrel is the majority of the rust and is objectionable even after cleaning, a good replacement barrel wouldn't be too hard to find.

Those are cool old guns and in my humble opinion are better kept original.....but its his gun and he should certainly do what gives him the most enjoyment.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, Reagan1k said:

Just got my .264 win mag back.  This is a pre-64 Model 70 I had picked up at auction.

Barrel was somewhat shot out when I got it and had some rust damage to the finish.  Action was very clean so I decided to put some work into it. 

Found an original pre-64 barrel that was damn near mint - +98% finish, and near mint throat and bore.

Had the old scope removed and added back the original rear site and sight hood.

Stock is an original from the 60-63 production run - same as the action.

Very pleased.  Likely to be a safe queen for the near future.

264.jpg

264b.jpg

Identical to my pre-64 .270.  Love that gun so much and still hunt with it every season.  

Thanks fellas.  When I think of a bolt action hunting rifle, the pre-64 70 is what I expect to see as the example in an encyclopedia.

I've got several.  When I get a chance I'll dig out my 30 Gov't 06 - low 5 digit serial number with the safety on the opposite side of the bolt  (original configuration) and share some pics.

I love imagining the families these fed and the memories these made over the past 80 some-odd years.

IMO the decline of Western civilization started when 70's became push feed actions......and I'm only partly kidding.

@BabaYaga I'll hunt with my '49 .270 and original Normal Ford 6x scope this year.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Thanks fellas.  When I think of a bolt action hunting rifle, the pre-64 70 is what I expect to see as the example in an encyclopedia.

I've got several.  When I get a chance I'll dig out my 30 Gov't 06 - low 5 digit serial number with the safety on the opposite side of the bolt  (original configuration) and share some pics.

I love imagining the families these fed and the memories these made over the past 80 some-odd years.

IMO the decline of Western civilization started when 70's became push feed actions......and I'm only partly kidding.

@BabaYaga I'll hunt with my '49 .270 and original Normal Ford 6x scope this year.

Love it.  My Pre-64 .270 wore a x6 weaver for DECADES.  I still have it in the original box it came with.  Some day I'm mounting it on the wall next to the black/white pics I have of my grandfather and the very gun hunting black tails in the Davis mountains on mules (the real kind...)

They used to work the high ground on mules, scare the deer into the canyons, set up shooters on one end, and flush them in their direction.  So they'd have to hit them on the run sometimes.  Heavy stuff.  Little above my pay grade.  

Happy Friday heathens!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This is annoying as hell.

Any idea what the problem is or just bad ammo? Shooting a Remington 1100  this morning. The hull is getting stuck in the breach so tight that the extractor is ripping a piece off of the rim. No idea why the primer is popping out, either. I was able to knock out the hull with a cleaning rod both times it did this. (sorry for the bad pic at the bottom)

Afterwards I went back shot 3-4 pairs in a row with some AA 1200 FPS #9 and it cycled fine. Wondering if the PMC is just bad ammo, which would suck because it's so hard to find .410 shells nowadays and I still have have 8 boxes left. I shot this same ammo a year ago and didn't have any problems.  

I might try it in a OU or single shot tomorrow and see if it does the same thing. 

IMG_0601.thumb.jpg.bb345b9973a412ddc792dddc1fb49a04.jpg

IMG_1560.thumb.jpg.68596243cadfb9ad60c282f76030b226.jpg

IMG_1451.thumb.JPG.3373cefbf521d222a920a6316902038f.JPG

Bought A single action Ruger Wrangler today for $199 at Academy. It was an impulse purchase and I went straight to the range from there,  stopping only at WalMart to buy some 22LR.  

Obviously not in the same category as a Single Six or a Bearcat, but boy howdy this gun is a shitload of fun and seems like really good build quality for the price. Hell, I might buy a second one and play Doc Holiday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bought A single action Ruger Wrangler today for $199 at Academy. It was an impulse purchase and I went straight to the range from there,  stopping only at WalMart to buy some 22LR.  

Obviously not in the same category as a Single Six or a Bearcat, but boy howdy this gun is a shitload of fun and seems like really good build quality for the price. Hell, I might buy a second one and play Doc Holiday. 

giphy (2).gif

Edited by BayouBill
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This is annoying as hell.

Any idea what the problem is or just bad ammo? Shooting a Remington 1100  this morning. The hull is getting stuck in the breach so tight that the extractor is ripping a piece off of the rim. No idea why the primer is popping out, either. I was able to knock out the hull with a cleaning rod both times it did this. (sorry for the bad pic at the bottom)

Afterwards I went back shot 3-4 pairs in a row with some AA 1200 FPS #9 and it cycled fine. Wondering if the PMC is just bad ammo, which would suck because it's so hard to find .410 shells nowadays and I still have have 8 boxes left. I shot this same ammo a year ago and didn't have any problems.  

I might try it in a OU or single shot tomorrow and see if it does the same thing. 

IMG_0601.thumb.jpg.bb345b9973a412ddc792dddc1fb49a04.jpg

IMG_1560.thumb.jpg.68596243cadfb9ad60c282f76030b226.jpg

IMG_1451.thumb.JPG.3373cefbf521d222a920a6316902038f.JPG

Sounds like they are just loaded way too hot. Folks who like to push thing with hand loads might run into problems like that, but factory ammo...let's just say I wouldn't buy that brand again. I would at least shoot them an email and tell them about it and include any lot numbers or stuff you can find. If something was out of calibration and could cause some serious problems like that they would probably like to have as much info as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Sounds like they are just loaded way too hot. Folks who like to push thing with hand loads might run into problems like that, but factory ammo...let's just say I wouldn't buy that brand again. I would at least shoot them an email and tell them about it and include any lot numbers or stuff you can find. If something was out of calibration and could cause some serious problems like that they would probably like to have as much info as possible.

This-  send photos and lot numbers to the mfg!  If they have any customer service at all they will refund/replace and ask for the bad kits back for QC.  

Edit-  and +rep for an 1100 410.  I need that in my life too.  I’ve been stalking some older ones at auction but haven’t rung the bell yet. 

Edited by Reagan1k

6 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Edit-  and +rep for an 1100 410.  I need that in my life too.  I’ve been stalking some older ones at auction but haven’t rung the bell yet. 

Yep. It’s a fun little gun for taking shots at the birds as they dart around my place. I could use something bigger but it wouldn’t be as sporting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yes, that's what someone else said when I brought it up last night during the Astros game. "Overpressure. Don't shoot it again. Call them to make sure they know."

Dang. Now to find some more #8 410 for last two weeks of dove season. 

Can’t remember, are you here in Austin?

I just ordered some 12 gauge target shells from Academy for curbside pickup and it appears that there is no longer a "three box limit" like they had a couple of months ago. When did this change and is it for all ammo or just shotgun shells? 

It's a shame that they still don't have the "cheapest on the internet with free shipping price" but the price is still the lowest if you're willing to get in the car and drive over there. 

20 hours ago, davidg said:

This is pretty CR but I lol’d

017704d5e3a410118b81822b1688b8c5.jpg

LOL - fun fact.  The majority of the blood in your body can fill into your upper thigh.  Perforations in the hip and upper thigh (upper #7 on the target) can cause a victim to bleed out, and have little to no actual blood leave the body.  Leg wounds can be nasty.  Carry a tourniquet in every pack you have and in every vehicle.  They are cheap and might just save your life.   

Of course, if the femoral is damaged.  Sorry dude

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I just ordered some 12 gauge target shells from Academy for curbside pickup and it appears that there is no longer a "three box limit" like they had a couple of months ago. When did this change and is it for all ammo or just shotgun shells? 

It's a shame that they still don't have the "cheapest on the internet with free shipping price" but the price is still the lowest if you're willing to get in the car and drive over there. 

I have been going to the DFW locations for several months and the only 3 box limit that is posted is 9mm, 5.56, 223 rem, and recently they added 7.62 x Soviet.

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

I have been going to the DFW locations for several months and the only 3 box limit that is posted is 9mm, 5.56, 223 rem, and recently they added 7.62 x Soviet.

I haven't been inside a retail store of any kind since June (not because I'm scared - the opposite, actually), so makes sense I wouldn't have seen that. Thanks for the update. 

Stupid .410 1100 search has led me to the next one.  Surprising I know, but it’s another since obsolete, hard to find round.  Why not. I just need to break down and start reloading I guess.   I need to talk myself out of it (on auction site) in the next couple days, but I won’t.  I’m a sucker for custom stocked old guns. 

• Hook 'Em 1