The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Seems like that CP33 with a supressor, a shoulder brace, a red dot and some subsonics could really help me discretely manage the urban coyote population over here. 

Possibly, but I highly doubt it can cycle subs.  They have virtually no gas pressure to cycle the action.  For the velocity and kinetic energy, just get a GAMSO .22 air rifle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexasGary said:

It has arrived.  The Sig p320 XFull 9mm.

p320-Xfull.thumb.jpg.636848a776ab241aed4b003a8c99153a.jpg

I just picked up the X5 (non legion) from a guy locally for 700.  Its a great shooting pistol (close to as accurate as a 1911 target gun)  The modularity of the Sig p320 platform is so awesome.  I've already ordered a pistol build kit in the Xcompact so I can swap the trigger pack over to a more carry friendly platform.

Edited by krevo

Quarantine gun purchases have been berry berry good to me.  I've picked up a Ruger No 1 in 220 Swift (grail), a few Sig pistols, a Keltec CMR30, and a lot of stuff to upgrade my stable of semi automatic sporting rifles.  (optics, lights, mags, etc)  Its nice when you don't have an 1800 dollar daycare bill for a few months.

My favorite of all them of was the Howa HCR (chassis bolt gun) in 6mm Creedmor for 500 dollars.  It was sitting next to the same gun in camo listed at 999.  The chassis alone sells for 399.  I put the Nikon FX1000 4-16x50 on it and have been reaching out and touching things for the past 3 months every time I get out to the ranch.  Flat shooting, fast, super stable in the wind and about the same recoil as a 243.  The ammo is also readily available so I've been buying a few boxes here and there for months.  Got the dies, some RL16, and a box of 500 Berger Hybrids to start rolling my own for it.  What a great gun for 500 dollars lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, krevo said:

I just picked up the X5 (non legion) from a guy locally for 700.  Its a great shooting pistol (close to as accurate as a 1911 target gun)  The modularity of the Sig p320 platform is so awesome.  I've already ordered a pistol build kit in the Xcompact so I can swap the trigger pack over to a more carry friendly platform.

Feel like I should've elaborated a bit about this.

The Sig P320 (striker fired version of the Sig P250) is a completely modular/lego pistol system.  You can take the slide off, pull the take pin and pull the trigger pack out of the gun.  That trigger pack can then be dropped into a bunch of different aftermarket/factory grip modules, with different slide/barrel/calibers.  The gun is the trigger pack and it can be exchanged on the fly to any frame or slide combo that the user wants.  The Wilson Combat grip module is only 65 bucks an is awesome compared to the factory P320 grip.

SIG SAUER P320 RX Full-Size, Semi-Automatic, 9mm, 4.7 ...

NEW Wilson Combat SIG P320 Grip Modules -The Firearm BlogWilson Frame

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, krevo said:

Where did you locate this pistol build kit?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Where did you locate this pistol build kit?

Google Sig p320 80% kit or if you don't want aftermarket, google "Sig P320 Caliber Exchange Kit"  You can turn your full size X series gun into a conceal carry pistol in 30 seconds with a 400-500 dollar conversion kit.  I know it seems expensive but in the grand scheme of things, its a really nice feature to be able to swap your trigger pack into a parts kit should something go wrong with you gun.  Nice bit of insurance.

The Sig P320 trigger pack comes in an 80% built kit that you can put together with some time & tools in a few hours.  Once you've built your own trigger pack you can drop it into a full size slide and grip, a compact slide with full length grip, etc.  The possibilities are endless.

Fun story from the gun club this morning:

I have bigger than average hands. The palm swell on my Beretta 682 Sporting is regular size and thus is too small so I have to remind myself not to wrap the trigger when I mount it. The danger of wrapping the trigger is that it's easier to yip and shoot too early. So I always take care to make sure only my fingertip is on the trigger before I call for the target. But this means you can't grip the gun as tightly and sometimes it might slip while you're swinging it. 

Have never shot 50 straight before in registered skeet. Went 25 straight in round 3 this morning and had done 24 more. One more shot on 8 low was all I needed. Last shot of the round. I mount the gun and as soon as I call for the target the gun goes off in my hand and fires right into the low house window. Lost bird. YIP YIP!

In hindsight I was pretty nervous and was squeezing the the shit out of the gun. Bad news. 

At least the new P-gun I have on order has an appropriately sized grip for my hands, so as to reduce the yips. 

Goddamit. 

I said something to my 17 year old about the importance of not making life about chasing material things. She said, “sure, you’re not materialistic at all. Except for cars, watches, flashlights, pocket knives, whiskey and guns.”

and I was like, “yes other than that...”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Almost got skunked this evening. We sat inside my aunt's barn on the land where she keeps her fifth wheel in the off season. About 20 or 25 minutes before shooting light was up a buck came running accross the pasture a couple hundred yards away from us trying to get laid. He never stopped long enough for us to get a good look at him, but at least we saw something. This warm november weather sucks.

On the bright side, we had two new hunters with us and if they didn't enjoy the hunting part they at least enjoyed the getting away from the wives and kids and drinking part. 

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I said something to my 17 year old about the importance of not making life about chasing material things. She said, “sure, you’re not materialistic at all. Except for cars, watches, flashlights, pocket knives, whiskey and guns.”

and I was like, “yes other than that...”

Just remind him that all of those are life’s essentials, unlike his cell phone & X-Box

• Hook 'Em 1

The shutdown has led me to go down a rabbit hole to try and improve my EDC by measuring time and score on IDPA and CSTAT standard drills.  My EDCs are Gen 5 Glock 19s w/RMR and a pair of Glock 30S.  Many thousands of rounds thru each and numerous defensive classes and training hours.  Since there was very little I could do other than play golf and go to the range, I thought I would try other handguns in search of the holy grail of defensive pistols.

Started off 1911.  Custom steel Commander. Grip safety issues and pinned it.  Shot ragged holes slow fire.  At speed,  not even close.

DW ECO.  Very accurate but would miss the grip safety at fast draw from concealed.  Pinned the safety  but had a couple of hammer bites from poor grip.  Par time for me at 5 yards from concealed is around 1 second.  4 shots in two targets in less than 2.  Could not match.   Very impressed with this gun.  Easy to conceal.  

Next, EDC X9.  Nice little pistol.  Center of gravity was a little high and hammer bite got me trying to go fast.  

Next Sig 365.  Extremely accurate and easily concealable.  The grip angle is off for me and it naturally pointed low.  At speed, shots were all over the place.

Then on to 365 with RMRSc dot.  Super accurate at slow pace.  Could not find the dot at speed.  

Sig VTAC.  The Kyle Lamb version.  This gun is perfect in every way.  Extremely accurate, fantastic sights, soft shooting.  Too big to comfortably carry every day and I never cared for the Sig trigger safety system.  If I was shooting competitively, this is the gun I would use.

Sig 320 Compact .45 acp.  Bore axis was too high and never felt right.  Moving on.

EDC X9 again, this time with suppressor height sights and RMR.  Great point of aim, extremely accurate but about 1/2 second slower at every drill.

Sold all of these and now content with what I have.  I burned a few thousand rounds, lost a few thousand dollars in the resale market, have lots of holsters and burned into my memory to pick a system and stick with it.  I did have fun and managed to take up some time during this crazy year.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

The shutdown has led me to go down a rabbit hole to try and improve my EDC by measuring time and score on IDPA and CSTAT standard drills.  My EDCs are Gen 5 Glock 19s w/RMR and a pair of Glock 30S.  Many thousands of rounds thru each and numerous defensive classes and training hours.  Since there was very little I could do other than play golf and go to the range, I thought I would try other handguns in search of the holy grail of defensive pistols.

Started off 1911.  Custom steel Commander. Grip safety issues and pinned it.  Shot ragged holes slow fire.  At speed,  not even close.

DW ECO.  Very accurate but would miss the grip safety at fast draw from concealed.  Pinned the safety  but had a couple of hammer bites from poor grip.  Par time for me at 5 yards from concealed is around 1 second.  4 shots in two targets in less than 2.  Could not match.   Very impressed with this gun.  Easy to conceal.  

Next, EDC X9.  Nice little pistol.  Center of gravity was a little high and hammer bite got me trying to go fast.  

Next Sig 365.  Extremely accurate and easily concealable.  The grip angle is off for me and it naturally pointed low.  At speed, shots were all over the place.

Then on to 365 with RMRSc dot.  Super accurate at slow pace.  Could not find the dot at speed.  

Sig VTAC.  The Kyle Lamb version.  This gun is perfect in every way.  Extremely accurate, fantastic sights, soft shooting.  Too big to comfortably carry every day and I never cared for the Sig trigger safety system.  If I was shooting competitively, this is the gun I would use.

Sig 320 Compact .45 acp.  Bore axis was too high and never felt right.  Moving on.

EDC X9 again, this time with suppressor height sights and RMR.  Great point of aim, extremely accurate but about 1/2 second slower at every drill.

Sold all of these and now content with what I have.  I burned a few thousand rounds, lost a few thousand dollars in the resale market, have lots of holsters and burned into my memory to pick a system and stick with it.  I did have fun and managed to take up some time during this crazy year.

It's the Indian, not the arrow....;)

If those Glocks are working what the impetus to change?  Force Recon buddy that spent multiple deployments doing contract work, all he'll carry is his 19.  What he's been carrying for the better part of a decade, and he's insanely proficient with it.  You could always upgrade the 19s as well.  Port the barrel, customize the slide.  Upgrade the trigger?

13 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Taking my CHL online over the next week or two and planning to get something to carry relatively soon.  Was the DW above a 9mm or .45? Would you recommend this for a first time carrier?  My priority is a 9mm that is easily concealable.  Other than that, I don't really have any requirements.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If those Glocks are working what the impetus to change?  Force Recon buddy that spent multiple deployments doing contract work, all he'll carry is his 19.  What he's been carrying for the better part of a decade, and he's insanely proficient with it.  You could always upgrade the 19s as well.  Port the barrel, customize the slide.  Upgrade the trigger?

The change experiment was out of boredom.  The 19 and 30S are perfect for me, just wanted to see if the grass was greener on the other side of the fence so to speak.  One 19 is Kline Tactical with lightened slide to match weight of RMR, fitted barrel, Taran Tactical trigger, accelerator pads, etc...  The other 19 is Boresight Solutions with their own stippled frame, Agency barrel, Arsenal Democracy Switch trigger, lightened slide to match RMR weight, etc....  They run perfectly and are extremely accurate.  I just lucked into a pair of 30S years ago that are the most accurate handguns I own and only have trigger work.  I carry one of the 19s or 30S every day.   I rotate the pairs out between carry, bedside every month or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Taking my CHL online over the next week or two and planning to get something to carry relatively soon.  Was the DW above a 9mm or .45? Would you recommend this for a first time carrier?  My priority is a 9mm that is easily concealable.  Other than that, I don't really have any requirements.

ECO was 9mm.  A fabulous pistol in the 1911 style.  Hammer, grip safety and thumb safety.  All have to work in sync.  There are great 1911 shooters out there and I really like them.  If I were recommending, it would be striker fired.  Just easier to learn, run all day and require little maintenance.  Glock 19 is my personal favorite and over 90% of the attendees use one when I take a class.  26 is a little easier to conceal as well as 43 and 48.  I thought the 365 was super concealable and very accurate.  If possible, go to a range that rents many of the different makes and see which works best for you.  There are Glock fans, Sig fans, H&K, Walther, S&W, etc...  As mentioned above, it is the Indian and not the arrow.  Pick a platform, train with it, dry fire with it and practice drawing from concealed 100 times a week until muscle memory.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

ECO was 9mm.  A fabulous pistol in the 1911 style.  Hammer, grip safety and thumb safety.  All have to work in sync.  There are great 1911 shooters out there and I really like them.  If I were recommending, it would be striker fired.  Just easier to learn, run all day and require little maintenance.  Glock 19 is my personal favorite and over 90% of the attendees use one when I take a class.  26 is a little easier to conceal as well as 43 and 48.  I thought the 365 was super concealable and very accurate.  If possible, go to a range that rents many of the different makes and see which works best for you.  There are Glock fans, Sig fans, H&K, Walther, S&W, etc...  As mentioned above, it is the Indian and not the arrow.  Pick a platform, train with it, dry fire with it and practice drawing from concealed 100 times a week until muscle memory.  

Good advice here.  Another benefit of s striker fired carry gun is the weight.  1911's, even the compact versions are heavy.  I keep my 1911 by the bedside as it's perfect for this role and I perform the best with it and the weight and stability is a benefit.  My EDC is my 365, which I also love.  Your carry gun has to be a part of your daily routine.  Keys.  Wallet.  Phone.  Holster.  All day, every day (where allowed).  If it's heavy, or uncomfortable, you will carry less.  Just the way it is.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Pics of awesome Colt SAA?

I will when I get home.  1874 birth date.  Taken apart, barrel cut back and reassembled for Spanish American War.  Proper inspector initials, mismatched frames, common for this gun.  My wife's great grandfather's carry piece when he was a sheriff in the 1930s.   Was just a tool for him.  No one in the family knew it was a first year, black powder frame, anything about it until she got it 30 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

Where are you guys finding ammo right now?  Since the summer, it’s been impossible to get my hands on decently priced non-shit ammo.  Federal website has been the only one, and they are down to 2 box limit at $22.99/box + shipping.  Looking for 9mm

I’m hoping to hear Academy is getting their supply chain figured out, but I think I’m being wishful.  

23 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

Where are you guys finding ammo right now?  Since the summer, it’s been impossible to get my hands on decently priced non-shit ammo.  Federal website has been the only one, and they are down to 2 box limit at $22.99/box + shipping.  Looking for 9mm

I’m hoping to hear Academy is getting their supply chain figured out, but I think I’m being wishful.  

3 minutes ago, Gladeite said:
33 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

My error.

I had about 10 thousand rounds on hand when the virus started.  I shoot 1-200 rounds a week and try to add to my stash when I can find it.  I got a couple thousand rounds from Sig last month.  A couple from Federal earlier this fall, a few thousand from MidwayUSA this summer and a thousand or so from The Range before prices got crazy.  They are officially crazy now.  The Range in Austin has them for 75 cents per round today including tax.  They are not making any money at this price.  This is up from last month, the month before that, the summer, etc...  Components are in very short supply.

20 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Components are in very short supply.

My shotshell reloading buddies say it's impossible to find primers right now. The last time there were shortages it was powder and to a lesser extent, lead. 

Personally, I can't find 410 ammo anywhere. This is all Ammoseek shows at the moment for ANY 410 ammo, much less specific brands or shot size:

355581829_ScreenShot2020-11-16at13_12_09.png.4b1e5568fd47f11c4cf2f6d0cd46e89e.png

13 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My shotshell reloading buddies say it's impossible to find primers right now. The last time there were shortages it was powder and to a lesser extent, lead. 

Personally, I can't find 410 ammo anywhere. This is all Ammoseek shows at the moment for ANY 410 ammo, much less specific brands or shot size:

355581829_ScreenShot2020-11-16at13_12_09.png.4b1e5568fd47f11c4cf2f6d0cd46e89e.png

Every Walmart I have went into recent has had a bunch of 410 ammo.   

1 hour ago, HalfSack Horn said:

I have had success at my local Academy (DFW area) however you have to get in line around 7am and even then some days they don't get any 9mm.  This morning they only got 12 boxes of 9mm so I missed out.  I was able to get another 500 of Winchester 5.56 range ammo.

Edited by TexasGary

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Glock mags will be more available as battlefield pickups.

20 hours ago, HalfSack Horn said:

Just had another couple hundred rounds of 9mm arrive in the mail - I use Ammoseek and they have a ton of it online.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Gladeite said:

1874 SAA.  4 digit frame.  Not factory grips but been on the gun as long as anyone knows.  At least 80 years.  

9012F754-BA01-417E-8D37-39B2970A640D.jpeg

Those stags are worth $200-$300. Since they don’t fit you could sell them and buy some  decent original 1st Generation grip panels online or at the Colt forum.
Nice rare Colt. Did your ancestor have it nickled?

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Those stags are worth $200-$300. Since they don’t fit you could sell them and buy some  decent original 1st Generation grip panels online or at the Colt forum.
Nice rare Colt. Did your ancestor have it nickled?

I doubt it.  Probably picked it up somewhere as-is.  It has period correct proof marks, desirable inspector initials and pretty good timing.  8xxx main frame, 12xxx trigger frame and 11xxx grip frame.  Have the Colt letter.  It was not from my lineage so I am just a place keeper for someone on my wife's side to step up someday.  Someone who will not pawn it.  Have not met that relative yet.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I doubt it.  Probably picked it up somewhere as-is.  It has period correct proof marks, desirable inspector initials and pretty good timing.  8xxx main frame, 12xxx trigger frame and 11xxx grip frame.  Have the Colt letter.  It was not from my lineage so I am just a place keeper for someone on my wife's side to step up someday.  Someone who will not pawn it.  Have not met that relative yet.  

I'm available for adoption. Just so you know...