The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

9 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Welp there might be some movement by the abc gungrabbers regarding AR pistols.

The 16pg draft looks to say that they’ll expedite a tax free registration as a NFA SBR stamp for pre-existing braced pistols.

Looks like they’ve had enough of their arguments with SB tactical and Q

That would be nice.  I was considering stamping my braces preemptively, but a no-cost expedited process would be nice.

I don't necessarily agree with their premise, but have to be practical instead of beating my head against the wall.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:42 PM, Armybrat said:

Fify

So many gun stores are like this.  Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas had a similar rep, Ray's in Oak Cliff can be bad, even Targetmasters range and store in the land of Gar can be kind of stuck up and cliquey and they have a fair number of female employees (family owned I believe).

I shoot mostly airguns these days and occasionally go to a range for some calibration work.  I expect to be fucked with, but most of them realize that someone with $1000++ of airgun and optics may be a bigger fanatic than they are.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So many gun stores are like this.  Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas had a similar rep, Ray's in Oak Cliff can be bad, even Targetmasters range and store in the land of Gar can be kind of stuck up and cliquey and they have a fair number of female employees (family owned I believe).

I shoot mostly airguns these days and occasionally go to a range for some calibration work.  I expect to be fucked with, but most of them realize that someone with $1000++ of airgun and optics may be a bigger fanatic than they are.

Bachman P&G-I bought a gun there, once.  Once. Ray’s was (is?) an interesting place-first trip in there, 1978, I spent an hour talking with Ray and bought an oddball shotgun; he didn’t suffer fools gladly.  Later manager was a real tall guy with shaved head and safari wardrobe-he was hard to deal with.  Of course, in that business you get plenty of know-it-alls and weirdos coming through the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

That would be nice.  I was considering stamping my braces preemptively, but a no-cost expedited process would be nice.
I don't necessarily agree with their premise, but have to be practical instead of beating my head against the wall.

Yeah it’s sucks because I’m against that shit on principle but at the same time tax free to go right back on the nfa registry that I’m already on...

Sorry to CR up the room, it just seemed relevant as people are jumping into new purchases these days and AR pistols are hot sellers

What is the best online ammo place?

I typically shoot Weatherby Mags (257, 270 and 300), so I just buy from Cabelas normally.  I get my 5.7 ammo from Carroll's in Wharton -- for some reason they always have it.

But for pistol ammo, 22 LR, and 5.56, I just buy a decent amount every time I see it in stock at wal mart or academy.  Can't find it now.  And although I have a decent stockpile, I want more.

31 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

What's to stop someone from just claiming that any lowers they built from a stripped lower have pistol braces on them and get them registered as SBR's for free? 

Ding! Ding Ding!  We have a winner.  Those $39  Anderson lowers from a year ago sure were good buys.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is what a guy down the street told me once.  Then we found out he was a convicted sex offender and it made sense. Fucker lied about his address to the registry and was a block away from an elementary school.  /not a CSB

18 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

What is the best online ammo place?

I typically shoot Weatherby Mags (257, 270 and 300), so I just buy from Cabelas normally.  I get my 5.7 ammo from Carroll's in Wharton -- for some reason they always have it.

But for pistol ammo, 22 LR, and 5.56, I just buy a decent amount every time I see it in stock at wal mart or academy.  Can't find it now.  And although I have a decent stockpile, I want more.

AmmoSeek always has what I'm looking for, especially in bulk.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I think that’s where I’m going to end up.  Small chance I might end up with a Knights Armament, but I’ve got it narrowed to the final 2-3...I think. 

Larue, KAC, and DD.  I think. Still studying. 

I ordered this thing first week of july.....just saying, be ready for a loooong lead time if you go with Larue.  I ordered a 300 blackout for my son on the same day, and it still hasn't shipped.  

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I ordered this thing first week of july.....just saying, be ready for a loooong lead time if you go with Larue.  I ordered a 300 blackout for my son on the same day, and it still hasn't shipped.  

What spec did you choose?  I’m so lost in the AR stuff right now it’s ridiculous.  I’ve put it up thread but they aren’t really a passion of mine, just want to snatch up a few in case they end up outlawed or severely more difficult to procure. I’m not a “gonna grab your guns guy” really but I can see the AR platform being picked on first. 

On 12/17/2020 at 1:40 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

What's to stop someone from just claiming that any lowers they built from a stripped lower have pistol braces on them and get them registered as SBR's for free? 

I believe there will be a new classification in the NFA items - starting with the pistol braces.  You won't be registering an SBR, you'll be registering a braced pistol.  Stamp/registration will be different.

• Like 1

They would have to legislate that, I would think, but I'm not really sure how the NFA is worded.

Yeah it gets murky because now they are about to get into the language part and that would need legislation etc rather than interpretation.

I don’t know enough about the nfa language though, I just follow the instructions that Reddit and my lgs say to follow
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

If they’re gonna start messing with the NFA, then they need to get rid of it. It’s fucking horseshit anyway. Of course, we are just gonna get fucked worse.

Yep.  There is absolutely no reason at all for suppressors to be a NFA item.  And plenty why they shouldn’t be.  Maddening.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

What spec did you choose?  I’m so lost in the AR stuff right now it’s ridiculous.  I’ve put it up thread but they aren’t really a passion of mine, just want to snatch up a few in case they end up outlawed or severely more difficult to procure. I’m not a “gonna grab your guns guy” really but I can see the AR platform being picked on first. 

ARs have been banned before.  I have more than a few and in various calibers. Want to make sure my kids and future grandkids could always have one.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

ARs have been banned before.  I have more than a few and in various calibers. Want to make sure my kids and future grandkids could always have one.  

I literally this morning ordered another 5.56 and another .308.

That gets me into the "more than a few" category. 

Biden is going to come in swinging executive orders in a month and even if they eventually get shut down by the courts, they'll be enforced for at least a couple of years while it winds its way to SCOTUS. 

The price I paid this morning is literally twice what I would have paid for similar guns a year ago, but it's not going to be cheaper anytime soon. 

Biden is going to come in swinging executive orders in a month and even if they eventually get shut down by the courts, they'll be enforced for at least a couple of years while it winds its way to SCOTUS. 
The price I paid this morning is literally twice what I would have paid for similar guns a year ago, but it's not going to be cheaper anytime soon. 

lol. He is not going to waste political capital on a ban he can’t get with congressional support. He’s gonna need every vote in every issue to clean up some of Trump’s poison pill, and pissing off the right on an issue that is not as important is not happening.

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

lol. He is not going to waste political capital on a ban he can’t get with congressional support. He’s gonna need every vote in every issue to clean up some of Trump’s poison pill, and pissing off the right on an issue that is not as important is not happening.

But that shriveled brain of his probably doesn’t remember what happened with Clinton’s first midterms. Besides, he is going to be under enormous pressure from the radicals who are pulling his strings. 
The old guard cabal like Pelosi will try to stop it, but who knows what that sleaze Schumer will do? 

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I’ve been torn about that myself - buying another S&W Sport II (at double what I paid for the first one years ago) or a similar priced Ruger SR556 just to put in the back of the safe along with a dozen Magpul 20/30 rounders. Gifted all my “assault” rifles & .556 away several years ago, so it might be prudent just to have one on hand for a desperate relative.

I’m content with my PC Carbine for HD & plinking. Can’t see nuthin’ over 100 yards anyway.

But that shriveled brain of his probably doesn’t remember what happened with Clinton’s first midterms. Besides, he is going to be under enormous pressure from the radicals who are pulling his strings. 
The old guard cabal like Pelosi will try to stop it, but who knows what that sleaze Schumer will do? 

Nope. That whole tripe about radical dems is to frighten older GOP voters. Old Glory Robots are a bigger threat. We’ll see.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, stork642 said:

The denial until it’s too late is my favorite part.  

Mine too, but not how you think.

Meanwhile, I’m literally holding off on buying a Kong Cobra because I haven’t seen .357 Mag on the shelf for 3 months.

the real gun grabbers are the hoarders, suckers and paranoids.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

One of the boy’s big Xmas presents:

38dbab43e7c4e0d4d26ab9d7078f88c3.jpg

MAS 49/56, chambered for .308. Came with three extra mags and a bayonet. I’ve cleaned it up and gone over it pretty thoroughly, and it looks to be ready to shoot. Could use some ammo, though.

He wanted something that was truly “his gun,” as opposed to any number of our family guns that he hunts with. When we go out to ranches for work weekends, or even between hunts, people often shoot other guns for fun at the homemade range, and he wanted to have something for that. And might it be a pig killer someday? Maybe. He’s excited by shooting with iron sights, and just having something to pop off with the older guys at the ranch. It’s a cool gun, we’ll see how it shoots.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

MAS 49/56, chambered for .308. Came with three extra mags and a bayonet. I’ve cleaned it up and gone over it pretty thoroughly, and it looks to be ready to shoot. Could use some ammo, though.

He wanted something that was truly “his gun,” as opposed to any number of our family guns that he hunts with. When we go out to ranches for work weekends, or even between hunts, people often shoot other guns for fun at the homemade range, and he wanted to have something for that. And might it be a pig killer someday? Maybe. He’s excited by shooting with iron sights, and just having something to pop off with the older guys at the ranch. It’s a cool gun, we’ll see how it shoots.

Oooh la la, mais oui oui.

Only dropped once?

The one problem I found by buying an M1A (instead of some form of AR) when I thought all semis would go away is that .308 is more expensive and less plentiful in quantity than .223.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

Did it have a painted on # on the stock you had to remove? My friend had a buddy who got one. Stock was not as nice as yours, and had some storage number painted on it in big numerals

Oooh la la, mais oui oui.
Only dropped once?
The one problem I found by buying an M1A (instead of some form of AR) when I thought all semis would go away is that .308 is more expensive and less plentiful in quantity than .223.  

Yeah, no matter what we got, ammo will be a challenge for a while. My neighbor thinks he may have a couple boxes (and he doesn’t have anything that shoots .308), so he’s checking for me. Otherwise, we’re probably gonna have to wait a while before we can shoot it.

Did it have a painted on # on the stock you had to remove? My friend had a buddy who got one. Stock was not as nice as yours, and had some storage number painted on it in big numerals

No painting on the stock, no rust. It’s in really good, but weathered, shape. This gun was carried, not just kept in storage. Makes it kinda cool - maybe has a story or two in its history.

Those rechambered MAS's are not known for reliability. The .308 round is loaded at somewhat higher press entry than the old 7.65 x whatever in that rifle and it goofs up the operation. If you're so inclined, try loading some "reduced power" ammo for it.
  • Like 1