The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes....pretty much their comments.
I stay out of CR mainly because of that. I think the topic got put there because of all the craziness, but when I read it first, it was posted on Daily Texan.
I’ve been on this and the other sites since HornFans, but just now realizing over the last 10 months of how I am definitely in the minority and also of how many loony tunes (tolerant left) there are here. Even bleeds into the Football emoji458.png and Baseball emoji461.png️ boards waaaay to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried from time to time to engage in political discussions in the CR and it always boils down eventually to me getting called a racist or homophobe (hate that word) because I don’t toe the line and profess the pieties. I finally just gave up. It’s impossible to gave good faith conversations with must of them. They can be nasty. 

And yes, it bleeds over.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

New parts day. May put the FDE furniture on a 10 and make the 15 black with existing parts 
7F92EB5F-266C-4076-8670-DA6FF7CD3D03.thumb.jpeg.08303b6073b7a8206f562e6e42a5aef4.jpeg

I also have a LaRue MBT that I think I want to put in the 10 and put the PSA EPT in the 15.  Thoughts?

1) Life is too short to squeeze crappy triggers.
MBT all the way.

2) I don’t mind if the furniture doesn’t match the metal. You could even take it a step further and paint the hand guard FDE and leave the rest of it black. That helps with hot gun in the sun and I think it looks pretty slick. That’s my humble opinion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I’ve tried from time to time to engage in political discussions in the CR and it always boils down eventually to me getting called a racist or homophobe (hate that word) because I don’t toe the line and profess the pieties. I finally just gave up. It’s impossible to gave good faith conversations with must of them. They can be nasty. 

I relieved to hear that.  Thought it was just me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes....pretty much their comments.
I stay out of CR mainly because of that. I think the topic got put there because of all the craziness, but when I read it first, it was posted on Daily Texan.
I’ve been on this and the other sites since HornFans, but just now realizing over the last 10 months of how I am definitely in the minority and also of how many loony tunes (tolerant left) there are here. Even bleeds into the Football emoji458.png and Baseball emoji461.png️ boards waaaay to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way to have a gun thread without "going CR" a little bit.  The fact that we're able to discuss these things civilly without coming unhinged or insulting each other is refreshing.  Make no mistake though, 90% of this board is against us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

There's no way to have a gun thread without "going CR" a little bit.  The fact that we're able to discuss these things civilly without coming unhinged or insulting each other is refreshing.  Make no mistake though, 90% of this board is against us.

I respectfully disagree in part.  If it's inappropriate on other non-political boards (e.g., football, baseball, movies, etc.), it's inappropriate here.  I realize it's difficult to refrain from getting a little CR on here sometimes, but the effort should be made.  But I do agree with you that any past "political" discussions on this particular board have been civil in nature so far as I can recall, which is good.  I'm hoping we can get back to talking about firearms.  

Just my $.02.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I respectfully disagree in part.  If it's inappropriate on other non-political boards (e.g., football, baseball, movies, etc.), it's inappropriate here.  I realize it's difficult to refrain from getting a little CR on here sometimes, but the effort should be made.  But I do agree with you that any past "political" discussions on this particular board have been civil in nature so far as I can recall, which is good.  I'm hoping we can get back to talking about firearms.  

Just my $.02.

You can talk ad nauseum about how current and future legislation is going to directly or indirectly impact gun and ammunition sales, distribution, and availability.  That much is fine and perfectly acceptable.  It's when dogma and hyperbole creep into the conversation, morph into personal attacks, and continue to escalate that ruins the day for everyone.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

You can talk ad nauseum about how current and future legislation is going to directly or indirectly impact gun and ammunition sales, distribution, and availability.  That much is fine and perfectly acceptable.  It's when dogma and hyperbole creep into the conversation, morph into personal attacks, and continue to escalate that ruins the day for everyone.  

I'm on board with that.  And to be clear, what I was referring to in my earlier post was the "dogma and hyperbole" you referenced.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just went ahead and ordered a LaRue.  The Ultimate Upper kit is probably the best bang for buck you can find anywhere, from any A Tier AR builder right now.  Upper receiver, barrel, rail, brake, buffer assembly, RAT stock, LPK, MBT trigger - everything but the damn lower for 800 bucks.  Thats a no brainer regardless of lead times.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, krevo said:

I love me some Keltec / Grendel space guns.  I passed on their new 33round 22lr pistol the other day and immediately regretted it when I saw they make a sidefolding brace for it.  Their CMR30 is a blast to varmint hunt and plink with.

I want to run one supressed. There was some initial concern that they wouldn't cycle supressed with subsonics, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

23 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Wow.
Reading some of the comments in Daily Texan regarding what to do with protesters (shoot them, shoot them all, anyone voting Republican in any way since 2016, you are complicit, + many more of the same) in the Capital today makes me realize I don’t need worry about far away Antifa assholes, but much more likely from a lot of assholes locally here and on this site.
Better buy your ammo while you still can.

Yes, it's absolutely crucial that we hoard like morons, so that shooting can be as expensive and inconvenient as possible.

21 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

There are people on this site that would gladly load you on a train car bound for an extermination camp for being conservative and thinking differently than they do. Glad most of them stick to the cR.

Yeah, but not all of them, right?

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Shut up and take my money.So it looks like 30 cent 223 ain't gonna happen soon?

I got .223s in 200 round range packs at the Academy on 183 for .30 literally 2 weeks ago. My timing was good. But as long as we keep acting like morons the industry will treat us like morons. 

17 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

And yes, it bleeds over.

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

True, true, false. Want a safe space? Parlour exists. Also they have lively meetups.

29 minutes ago, RPM said:

Isn't Kel-Tec Latin for cheap jam?

Maybe, but couldn't be any worse than most direct impingement ARs. Clean your guns, people.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I want to run one supressed. There was some initial concern that they wouldn't cycle supressed with subsonics, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Yes, it's absolutely crucial that we hoard like morons, so that shooting can be as expensive and inconvenient as possible.

Yeah, but not all of them, right?

I got .223s in 200 round range packs at the Academy on 183 for .30 literally 2 weeks ago. My timing was good. But as long as we keep acting like morons the industry will treat us like morons. 

True, true, false. Want a safe space? Parlour exists. Also they have lively meetups.

Maybe, but couldn't be any worse than most direct impingement ARs. Clean your guns, people.

vbPsCaM.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Academy gets their deliveries on mon/wed/fri at the two stores I go to.  There is often a line in the morning before they open but not a big one.  They also keep the commonly hoarded calibers like 223/90/40/22 and 300 up at the customer service desk to make it easier for the hoarders and scalpers to get in and out quickly.  i paid 84 bucks for 200 round battlepacks of green tip a month ago.

Edited by krevo

3 hours ago, krevo said:

Just went ahead and ordered a LaRue.  The Ultimate Upper kit is probably the best bang for buck you can find anywhere, from any A Tier AR builder right now.  Upper receiver, barrel, rail, brake, buffer assembly, RAT stock, LPK, MBT trigger - everything but the damn lower for 800 bucks.  Thats a no brainer regardless of lead times.

I ordered the exact same thing back in December.  I got an email just a few hours ago that the stripped lower has shipped!!  

And now we wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Jolleyville (or other) location? What day of the week?

Yep - I want to say it was a wednesday. Obviously these were Monarch or equivalent cheap FMJs, but still good for plinking. 

10 minutes ago, krevo said:

Academy gets their deliveries on mon/wed/fri at the two stores I go to.  There is often a line in the morning before they open but not a big one.  They also keep the commonly hoarded calibers like 223/90/40/22 and 300 up at the customer service desk to make it easier for the hoarders and scalpers to get in and out quickly.  i paid 84 bucks for 200 round battlepacks of green tip a month ago

This - I think I got that same deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, krevo said:

Academy gets their deliveries on mon/wed/fri at the two stores I go to.  There is often a line in the morning before they open but not a big one.  They also keep the commonly hoarded calibers like 223/90/40/22 and 300 up at the customer service desk to make it easier for the hoarders and scalpers to get in and out quickly.  i paid 84 bucks for 200 round battlepacks of green tip a month ago.

Academy now limits all purchases to three boxes per person regardless of caliber.  In the event they get a box of 500 then its one box.  I went yesterday and the one near me in Plano didn't get a truck.  They said its mainly Monday and Friday.  If you check with the people at the gun counter in your local store they usually know what day of the week they are going to get a truck.

Edited by TexasGary

2 hours ago, RPM said:

In their pistols, I think so.  However, sort of like Hi-Point, their carbine actions are pretty sound.  I for one am a proud Hi-Point 10mm carbine owner and it couldn't be more reliable.

It looks like this KelTec P50 was built much more like their pistol caliber carbines than their throw away handguns.  Promising anyhow.

Biggest downside is that a day at the range, considering current 5.7 prices, might make you wish for a jam to slow the money burn.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, krevo said:

I love me some Keltec / Grendel space guns.  I passed on their new 33round 22lr pistol the other day and immediately regretted it when I saw they make a sidefolding brace for it.  Their CMR30 is a blast to varmint hunt and plink with.

A guy I know who has an immense collection of some of the finest weapons you could imagine just bought that CP33 with the brace.  He's in love with it.  He's retired and said he felt like a kid again with his 1st .22, but better since he didn't have to reload as often.  

I offered to take some of his NFA automatics off his hands if he wouldn't be needing them any more but he said he was sure the infatuation would pass.

You own a Glock, don't you. I can tell. :)
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I ordered the exact same thing back in December.  I got an email just a few hours ago that the stripped lower has shipped!!  

And now we wait.

I'm seeing 4-5 months on shipping of the upper kits.  My buddy ordered one in early August and its still pending. :|  I'm used to having to wait a long time for certain gun things.   

Any recommendations for glass for my new AR-10 in .308? Planning just to have it on hand for pigs on the farm mostly under 100 yards. 

Thinking about this one (, but I'm not an optics guy so I'm open to suggestions from someone who knows more than me. 

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-accupower-RS27

17 hours ago, RPM said:

Despite their shitty manufacturing and distribution issues - Keltec pushes the envelope in their designs (which means reliability might not be as great)  Many of their more popular guns have quirks that can be worked around to make them run very well.  For example - the plastic mags on the PMR / CMR 30s tend to bulge when you shove 30 rounds of 22mag in them, which makes them less reliable.  If you load them to 25 rounds, they're great.  They recommend 40gr+ in their manuals for those guns now and the reports of FTF/FTE pretty much disappeared.  Their P32 and P3AT pocket guns were revolutionary for their size, width and weight and Ruger actually stole their design for the Ruger LCP.

They make odd stuff but its usually cool and unique to the market (mostly for fun)

• Hook 'Em 2

Any recommendations for glass for my new AR-10 in .308? Planning just to have it on hand for pigs on the farm mostly under 100 yards. 
Thinking about this one (, but I'm not an optics guy so I'm open to suggestions from someone who knows more than me. 

If you’re planning to spend that much why not get NV?

Big vortex fan here Btw.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Glass sets itself apart at distance.   Clarity and focus at range is not cheap or easy.  Being that you are more than likely going 100+yds, you have the luxury of not having to worry as much.  Trijicon is fantastic, and if you have the means they are amazing, but it's overkill for your stated purpose and that model isn't going to stretch legs @ 1000+ yds as well as other dedicated models can.

I'm also a big Vortex fan if you go the "traditional" scope route.

With a .308, even with a semi, getting back on target takes more time.  Recoil and report are just that much more than a .223, so you might want to look at (if you want to stay with Trijicon) look at the ACOG.

Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope with .308 Full Line Red Illumination BDC Reticle - specifically (same or slightly less price point as well).  This has a .308 ballistic reticle.  

$1,100 - $1,200+/-

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

If you’re planning to spend that much why not get NV?

Big vortex fan here Btw.

My little brother knows more than I do and he was trying to steer me away from Vortex, FWIW. 

I hadn't considered night vision but I guess that is probably a logical place to consider since I already comparable guns already with regular daylight scopes. Thank you for the suggestion. 

I have tended to cheap out in the past on scopes (I think the most I've ever paid for one was ~$500 , so I was wanting to get something a little nicer this time around. If you suggest that's overkill, I'm fine with a lower end suggestion but now I'm intrigued by the night vision idea. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My little brother knows more than I do and he was trying to steer me away from Vortex, FWIW. 

I hadn't considered night vision but I guess that is probably a logical place to consider since I already comparable guns already with regular daylight scopes. Thank you for the suggestion. 

I have tended to cheap out in the past on scopes (I think the most I've ever paid for one was ~$500 , so I was wanting to get something a little nicer this time around. If you suggest that's overkill, I'm fine with a lower end suggestion but now I'm intrigued by the night vision idea. 

NV really needs subs and a can to maximize effectiveness - pigs at night scatter like the wind and follow up shots with a .308 takes longer (referencing experience with NV mounted on an FN FAL back when I was guiding in/post college).

Keep in mind if you go strictly daytime hunts, a $500 scope @ 100yds will be virtually identical in terms of performance to one that costs that many times over.  You might get a little more low-light clarity, but not a significant amount at such short ranges.  

Food for thought.  

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Scope preferences vary so much depending on the originator of the opinion.  Let's take the average Texas whitetail hunter spending 10-15 days a year in a stand hunting over a corn feeder from 150 yards in.  Vortex (Rudolph, even Riton) will cover +95% of their needs and do it quite well.  In fact, if they're used to a 20 year old Bushnell, they'll think it's a huge improvement.  Same scope(s) in the hands of someone used to hunting long range, needing superior light gathering for that once in a lifetime shot opportunity will see the flaws and shortcomings.  Neither is right or wrong.  It's just their perception.

Match the tool to the task if you want to maximize the value received based on the monetary outlay.

So here’s what I’d do (and I know I’m not you):

I’d set up that .308 with the mission of being able to shoot 500-700 yards. Get you a really nice (Eddie!) scope.

Then I’d head out to look for a 300bo that you can set up with some NV and a can down the road. 300bo is perfect for what you want to do. With supers, it’ll go out to 175ish. Being quiet and with a combo NV setup.....you’ll prob grab that gun every time you walk out the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

So here’s what I’d do (and I know I’m not you):

I’d set up that .308 with the mission of being able to shoot 500-700 yards. Get you a really nice (Eddie!) scope.

Then I’d head out to look for a 300bo that you can set up with some NV and a can down the road. 300bo is perfect for what you want to do. With supers, it’ll go out to 175ish. Being quiet and with a combo NV setup.....you’ll prob grab that gun every time you walk out the door.

.300BO with subs, a can, and utilized from an AR platform is pig whacking perfection.  Followed closely with the same setup utilizing 5.56.  It's all about the follow-up shots.  

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

.300BO with subs, a can, and utilized from an AR platform is pig whacking perfection.  Followed closely with the same setup utilizing 5.56.  It's all about the follow-up shots.  

Good for me, I purchased an identical 5.56 at the same time just because I could.... maybe I'll trick that one out for NV.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Good for me, I purchased an identical 5.56 at the same time just because I could.... maybe I'll trick that one out for NV.

5.56 is especially effective against oinkers because of it's penetration.  Ironically, green tips (M855), oft maligned for use on "soft targets" such as small game (and people) will penetrate deep into pigs, especially that dense fat/gristle around the neck and shoulder.  I's also look as PSPs or steel core, but not any "varmint" type round or HP designed for expansion.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Cabowabo and I went on a night pig op a few weeks ago. We stalked up to within 60 yards of them. Full moon so the illumination was good.   I was using a PVS14 on a helmet and the IR laser mounted on my MK18. I thumped a running sow with green tips at least 6 times before she went down. With the suppressed shots, you could really hear the impacts. It was fucking glorious. It had to be similar to what happened in Abbottobad. Sort of. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

https://dsgarms.com/magnified-optics-atidfov156-t2

Hey, not to CR up this more than you guys already have but I'm a former Republican that left the party because all the "you're fired guy" does is spread hate and lies.  Gun laws are not going to change that much, that is fear mongering. And being unreasonable on this will not end well.  Gun owners need to be more proactive and pragmatic to set the tone or lose a defensible position.   He wants us to have a domestic cold war because it gives him power, more fund raising is the only goal.  Man has likely never shot a gun (maybe for a photo op).

Just be an independent thinker and look for the evidence (from reliable sources), check that evidence twice from different sides and be pragmatic.  It will go a long way to more civil discourse. The people that stormed the capitol, the rioters, he sent them there from his rally knowing that outcome was likely.  Is the "you're fired guy" more important than our constitution and the peaceful transfer of power to you?  The same Constitution that contains the second amendment? If he's not follow the advice we gave Muslims after 9/11 and tell the moderate conservatives they have to expel the radicalized ones because that is what is happening. Remember Pedo Bear taunting Penn State fans over supporting Paterno for not doing something to save boys from Sandusky? The shit we give Baylor for Rape? 

Don't give me any "both sides" shit or say the Dems are gunna take my guns bullshit.  (I'll call you a snowflake and hurt your feelings) Own it, own what the people you are associated with have done and speak out against it or be lumped in with supporting it. I owned it. 

Are you man enough to take responsibility for supporting a traitor and disavow him and the rioters going forward?  Pretty simple, yes or no question.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5

36 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Hey, not to CR up this more than you guys already have but I'm a former Republican that left the party because all the "you're fired guy" does is spread hate and lies.  Gun laws are not going to change that much, that is fear mongering. And being unreasonable on this will not end well.  Gun owners need to be more proactive and pragmatic to set the tone or lose a defensible position.   He wants us to have a domestic cold war because it gives him power, more fund raising is the only goal.  Man has likely never shot a gun (maybe for a photo op).

Just be an independent thinker and look for the evidence (from reliable sources), check that evidence twice from different sides and be pragmatic.  It will go a long way to more civil discourse. The people that stormed the capitol, the rioters, he sent them there from his rally knowing that outcome was likely.  Is the "you're fired guy" more important than our constitution and the peaceful transfer of power to you?  The same Constitution that contains the second amendment? If he's not follow the advice we gave Muslims after 9/11 and tell the moderate conservatives they have to expel the radicalized ones because that is what is happening. Remember Pedo Bear taunting Penn State fans over supporting Paterno for not doing something to save boys from Sandusky? The shit we give Baylor for Rape? 

Don't give me any "both sides" shit or say the Dems are gunna take my guns bullshit.  (I'll call you a snowflake and hurt your feelings) Own it, own what the people you are associated with have done and speak out against it or be lumped in with supporting it. I owned it. 

Are you man enough to take responsibility for supporting a traitor and disavow him and the rioters going forward?  Pretty simple, yes or no question.

Sir, this is an Arby’s

tumblr_n7tgf7J37x1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 3

On the .308 talk...

I have a .308 pistol in 12.5” and I have a vortex 1-8 strike eagle. It’s solid but at 8x it’s eye box gets pretty narrow.

I’ve taken deer at 190yards and under 100. I’ve also taken a few hogs and a Yote inside of 150 yards.

I run it with a Sandman K or S now.

I also have my 300blk that I run for hogs only. She runs with a holosun green dot and 3x mag on her

Update I've settled on a Weatherby Orion O/U. Damn it hurt to type ou. Anyway now that I own two shotguns. Two rifles and two handguns I think it's time to get a safe. Any recommendations? I'm not as worried about theft as just keeping them out of the hands of kids

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Update I've settled on a Weatherby Orion O/U. Damn it hurt to type ou. Anyway now that I own two shotguns. Two rifles and two handguns I think it's time to get a safe. Any recommendations? I'm not as worried about theft as just keeping them out of the hands of kids

There are different ratings, a gun cabinet might met your needs.  They look like safes but the construction is not as durable or heavy.  They are easier to move and you can bolt them to the floor or a wall stud.  The idea is to keep your kids out and make it take a long time to gain access from a robber.  The can be breached with enough planning and prep.

Get one twice as big as you think as a general rule.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I really like the Nikon FX1000 Black line of scopes.  Pretty much the highest end glass you can get from Nikon and they're all being liquidated cause Nikon is slowly phasing themselves out of the scope business.  I got the FX1000 4-16x FFP w/ illuminated mil reticle for like 500 dollars (normally $800) and its been as rugged and clear as my Vortex Viper PST. They make some lower power options that are even cheaper.  

Edited by krevo

On 1/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Just my $.02.

He didn't say it was appropriate, he said it was "impossible".

I've got a Trijicon Accu Power on one of my 308 bolt guns and it's amazing. Not that exact model but from the same lineup. The glass makes my four Leupolds look like crap. That said it sounds like overkill for what you are planning. But if you have $$$ to burn...

10 hours ago, krevo said:

I really like the Nikon FX1000 Black line of scopes.  Pretty much the highest end glass you can get from Nikon and they're all being liquidated cause Nikon is slowly phasing themselves out of the scope business.  I got the FX1000 4-16x FFP w/ illuminated mil reticle for like 500 dollars (normally $800) and its been as rugged and clear as my Vortex Viper PST. They make some lower power options that are even cheaper.  

10 hours ago, krevo said:

All this talk about nods and laser on a night hog op is giving me a NV boner.  Pretty sure thats where my stimulus check is going.

Thank you for the recommendation. As mentioned above, I'm probably just going regular glass on the new .308 and will go NV on the 5.56.

And hell, now it's time to get a can, too, I guess.