The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Outside of ducks and geese (which rarely happens any more), I never hunted with a .12g.  For dove/quail a .20g is damn near perfect for my tastes.  You want to get a little froggy, use a full choke exclusively.  

I’ve started using mine for everything but geese and bay hunts for ducks.  Anything close quarters and the 20 has been getting the nod.  Plan is to move my quail into 28 next year (need to sneak that past the wife) 

Something that always interests me is how different owners clean or restore their guns (if there's a spot of rust or old, tired wood).

I've got a Heinz 57 collection of everything including some of the common things like Kroil, brass wool, old pennies, boiled linseed oil, Renaissance, etc.

What do you use for everyday cleaning/wipedown, fouling removal, minor rust, and wood preservation?

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Outside of ducks and geese (which rarely happens any more), I never hunted with a .12g.  For dove/quail a .20g is damn near perfect for my tastes.  You want to get a little froggy, use a full choke exclusively.  

That’s a good idea but I want to give the 20 to the boy. I want a 12 to cover dove, quail, and ducks. 

Something that always interests me is how different owners clean or restore their guns (if there's a spot of rust or old, tired wood).
I've got a Heinz 57 collection of everything including some of the common things like Kroil, brass wool, old pennies, boiled linseed oil, Renaissance, etc.
What do you use for everyday cleaning/wipedown, fouling removal, minor rust, and wood preservation?

I keep some cotton gloves in my range bag. I’ll spray them with RemOil and wipe down my guns. Microfiber cloths for scope lenses.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I have started using foaming bore cleaner though. It’s pretty simple and seems to do a good job. My guns don’t get super dirty though.

That's the key.  Consistent cleaning.  Most times I use a fixed cleaning rod, hoppes, and a bore snake.  

I used to use Rem oil and bore cleaner. However Rem oil does not inhibit rust like it should. I’ve seen it personally and friends have said the same thing too.

Slip 2000 is my new go to. It’s non toxic, cleans just as well, lasts longer and protect better against wear. Amazon sells a 3 pack of the cleaner, lube, and bore cleaner. The cleaner is good enough to clean the bore unless you shoot a lot of dirty dirty or get fail to clean regularly. Then that’s when the bore cleaner comes in handy.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:30 AM, BabaYaga said:

A 20 gauge 1100 is the world's most perfect gun for dove. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

A 20 gauge 1100 is the world's most perfect gun for dove. 

Yep.

My dove/shotgun trajectory:

• Single shot .410
  • Single shot .20g
  • Winchester .16g Model 12 with Poly-Chokes
  • Remington 1100 .16g (that was sold.....g-fathers that he unloaded.  Sad day)
  • Browning B80 .20g that I still have to this day.  Light and fast.  Sent a bevvy of feathers into the wind.  
  • 870 wingmaster .12g with fixed choke.....more of a safe queen these days as .12g is too much in my mind for doves.  

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.

My dove/shotgun trajectory:

• Single shot .410
  • Single shot .20g
  • Winchester .16g Model 12 with Poly-Chokes
  • Remington 1100 .16g (that was sold.....g-fathers that he unloaded.  Sad day)
  • Browning B80 .20g that I still have to this day.  Light and fast.  Sent a bevvy of feathers into the wind.  
  • 870 wingmaster .12g with fixed choke.....more of a safe queen these days as .12g is too much in my mind for doves.  

I started with the single shot 20 gauge.... and my uncle has an 870 in sixteen gauge that his grandson will probably end up with, but I will snag it if it comes to that someday. 

When I was younger I thought an 870 wingmaster with a fixed modified choke was the shit. Took me a while but I finally found one of my own in a pawn shop. Now it sits in my safe because that damn thing feels like a cannon. 

One of my sons has an A400 20 gauge that he has done really well with, but I still still like my 1100. It's heavier and swings better. 

8 minutes ago, William_Cannon said:

I’m going upgrade the stock on a 10/22 carbine. Was looking at one of those fancy finagle Boyd’s laminate stocks. Any advice on selection and installation? Will likely pick a model that floats the barrel, but know jack shit about swapping and bedding a stock.

Not difficult at all.  One of the better upgrades I did when building my tack driver 10/22. Of course I laid a huge barrel down the middle of it too :)    My only advice would be to shoot it in at several torque specs during the installation to find the sweet spot. There’s a great YouTube vid on this I’ll try to find. Makes a big difference if you are looking for great accuracy (who isn’t). 

That's pretty cool.  You can do some amazing things with a 10/22.  There have to be more custom mods for it than even  the M700 action.

I know a guy with a few tricked out 10/22's and what he can do with them is amazing.

I think you'll see a lot of people gravitate even more to .22lr if these pill prices stay even remotely close to where they are now.

A lot of "professionals" build duplicate rifles in .22lr equal to their work tools.  Makes a helluva lot of financial sense right now for sure.

I was gifted this 10/22 by a friend that moved out of the country. I haven’t done anything to it except replace the scope rings and sight it in. 

I’d like to set it up for a suppressor. Can this barrel be threaded or do I need a new one?  The stock is a Tapco, not bad but could be better. It is nice for kids to shoot with the collapsing feature. 

10-22 blurred.jpg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was gifted this 10/22 by a friend that moved out of the country. I haven’t done anything to it except replace the scope rings and sight it in. 

I’d like to set it up for a suppressor. Can this barrel be threaded or do I need a new one?  The stock is a Tapco, not bad but could be better. It is nice for kids to shoot with the collapsing feature. 

430098236_10-22blurred.thumb.jpg.d1918ed687b4d6ed8b833869b015689c.jpg

I briefly researched this myself and have some thoughts where others may be able to chime in.

1) is it a good idea? 10/22 can be persnickety if fouled and a can will only contribute.
2) is the carbine barrel thick enough for a smith to thread it and is it going to be cost effective?
3) is it going to be cheaper to replace the barrel if you can DIY? Replacing the barrel looks a bit involved but there are plenty of YouTube’s. It does look like you need a freezer to get it off without stressing the assembly (aluminum).
4) if you have to hire someone to replace the barrel, then look at the cost for another rifle.

Another option is to buy a barrel that’s internally suppressed.  I was visiting a ranch recently and there was a guy there with a 10/22 with an internally suppressed barrel. All you could hear was the bullet slapping the cacti.  Brilliant.  It’s the only time I’ve ever really wanted to go get my trust/stamp situation going so I can get one.  

On 1/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, TexasEd said:

10-22 blurred.jpg

https://volquartsen.com/departments/1022_parts

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Another option is to buy a barrel that’s internally suppressed.  I was visiting a ranch recently and there was a guy there with a 10/22 with an internally suppressed barrel. All you could hear was the bullet slapping the cacti.  Brilliant.  It’s the only time I’ve ever really wanted to go get my trust/stamp situation going so I can get one.  

Integrally*

Had a neighbor with an integrally suppressed bolt action .22. Click, slap was all you heard. I'm not sure if you can clean those out, but that seems important with rimfire.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Integrally*

Had a neighbor with an integrally suppressed bolt action .22. Click, slap was all you heard. I'm not sure if you can clean those out, but that seems important with rimfire.

The ones I immediately looked up after that shoot all looked very simple to clean. I’ll have to dig up the info once I get back to a computer. 

18 hours ago, Handcruser said:

160b90dac90edbb026ad621c0852758f.jpg

About to run this for the second time. First time didn’t go so well. Slide didn’t lock back 5 times, had a ftf and fte too. Out of 75 rounds. Yikes.

I was using some pretty shitty ammo too so I brought good stuff today.

I really want to like this gun.

Takes a couple hundred rounds to break in a new pistol. My opinion. 

Takes a couple hundred rounds to break in a new pistol. My opinion. 

500 rounds is what I shoot for so I agree with a break in period.

Second time went great. 200 rounds without a hiccup. I paid close attention to where my thumb was a that fixed the slide issue.

Shot great. Really like it.

About to run this for the second time. First time didn’t go so well. Slide didn’t lock back 5 times, had a ftf and fte too. Out of 75 rounds. Yikes.

I’ve put around 800 rds through mine and didn’t have a single issue. However I haven’t shot any crappy ammo with it.
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, Handcruser said:

I have one of those. Love it. I carry it in my right pocket in a pocket holster and it works great. A LOT more comfortable than a holster inside the waistband. 

Definitely my preferred way to carry and I like shooting the Hellcat more than the P365. 

EDIT: I've had it over a year and haven't had any problems with it, FWIW

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

16 hours ago, Cajun said:

I sent more Jackrabbit souls to Crom with one of those than all my other deathsticks put together.

Oh god yes.  Over the decades....thousands upon thousands.  I can't even begin to imagine how many hundreds of thousands of .22lr ammo expended by myself and friends cover that land.  

Anyone know some place that has H&K Mark 23 12rd mags? I need a few. I know it ain’t a great time to be getting them, but it’s not the most popular firearm out there.

https://hkparts.net/product/12-round-magazine-mark-23-p295.htm

Mk23 never cheap, but then no HK anything has ever been cheap.

Cept that time I got my P2000 for $400 on a black Friday sale
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

I have a small Amsec that I love but it only holds pistols and documents. I need to be able to hold 6 to 8 long guns nicely, the stuff in my small Amsec, and firearm accessories like mags.

Any recs for a fireproof gun safe?

Would something like 30” wide suffice, you think?

I went the cheap route and got mine from Costco for $499.  Had it for years and it works just fine.  Holds exactly what you are requesting.  We keep financial docs in there.  Jewelry.  Etc.  Just know, whatever the size rating is:  14 guns, 24, etc.....you can get in half.  So you need a 14 gun size at the bare minimum.  

On 1/27/2021 at 9:55 PM, William_Cannon said:

I have a small Amsec that I love but it only holds pistols and documents. I need to be able to hold 6 to 8 long guns nicely, the stuff in my small Amsec, and firearm accessories like mags.

Any recs for a fireproof gun safe?

Would something like 30” wide suffice, you think?

If you want a real quality fireproof safe, Graffunder is the way to go (but very pricey):

http://www.graffundersafes.com/products/safes-weapon.html

Still trying to wrap my mind around this ammo shortage.

It's one thing for first timers to go out and buy new guns and buy up all of the 5.56 and 9mm, it's entirely another for competition shotgun ammo to be out of stock everywhere. Aside from buckshot and slugs, there's not a single 20 gauge box of any size available on Ammoseek and there hasn't been for at least 3-4 weeks. Same on Academy.com and Cabelas and Bass Pro. I didn't know there were so many new bird hunters buying up all the ammo in the offseason. LOL

I am loading up on 1.125 #9 12 gauge whenever I can find some and funnily enough, there is PLENTY of 28 gauge to be had.

Glad I already had a stockpile that will get me through this year but if this keeps up, next year might be tight. 

It's become a self fulfilling prophecy.  Sort of like the stock market when things get extended to the up or to the down.  The initial frenzy has spread from a core group buying more in a market with supply limited by covid.  Shelves started to look bare.  Please talk.  Gradually all those on the sideline start to worry and FOMO kicks in dragging more and more buyer into the market.

Add another 8+million new gun owners and a lot of casual shooters who shot more in 2021 due to time off with covid and shooting being a socially distanced activity and it created a perfect storm.  People are buying 20ga for instance that have no intention of shooting it, but they hope at some point they could trade it for what they need.

I've seen several instances where people were buying stuff off the shelf, while not owning that caliber firearm, in the hopes what they bought will be trade currency for what they need.  This rising tide has floated all ships.  Pretty interesting study in the herd mentality and the way any market functions when demand morphs into panic.

• Hook 'Em 1