The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I picked up a Winchester 1905 .35 Win. yesterday from an auction house in the northeast.

For some reason I've become fascinated with those early Winchester self loaders lately - Mod's 1905, 1907, 1910.

They're cool little carbines.  Those and Savage 99s have become my huckleberry over the last year and I can't put my finger on why, other than why not.

I'll post some pics when it finally arrives.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

I picked up a Winchester 1905 .35 Win. yesterday from an auction house in the northeast.

For some reason I've become fascinated with those early Winchester self loaders lately - Mod's 1905, 1907, 1910.

They're cool little carbines.  Those and Savage 99s have become my huckleberry over the last year and I can't put my finger on why, other than why not.

I'll post some pics when it finally arrives.

My Mom's youngest brother has my great grandfathers 1897 Winchester .35. Those are worth a ton of money. In the 60's and early 70's, with no internet, it was impossible to find ammo. My Dad would cut the neck off of a .250 Roberts (I think, been a long time since he told me the story) and fire form the brass, then load it with a 315 grain bullet. He said it was slow enough coming out of the barrel that you could watch it. He always had an affinity for that gun, it went with the troops to Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt and had been used to charge up San Juan hill.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am loading up on 1.125 #9 12 gauge whenever I can find some and funnily enough, there is PLENTY of 28 gauge to be had.

I went into my academy the other day.  Walked around the aisles and couldn't find any shells.  Finally asked the guy at the gun counter.  Is all your ammo in the back?   He said no.  I don't have any ammo.   ZERO. Nada. . Not a single round.   Luckily when I went to pick up my new shotgun from the FFL dealer they had a box of 100 shells.  I snagged those promptly.   I mentioned to him that I can't even get non-popular ammo like British 303 or Wby 7mm.  He said the manu's are focused on the more popular rounds and arent producing the "exotics" as I like to call them. 

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Still trying to wrap my mind around this ammo shortage.

Everyone is buying up everything because its not that they will stop making 9mm, 12ga, .270.  It's that it's going to be taxed.  Possibly at 100%.  Shooting will become a wealthy persons hobby.  IMO

If you've got a few minutes, worth the watch.  I was in college during Katrina, and really don't remember this.  The vids of the cops hitting the elderly woman are pretty stomach wrenching.   Interesting CR material clips near the end, as a bonus.   If you give an inch, they'll take a mile has never seemed as prescient.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/30/2021 at 8:02 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Still trying to wrap my mind around this ammo shortage.

It's one thing for first timers to go out and buy new guns and buy up all of the 5.56 and 9mm, it's entirely another for competition shotgun ammo to be out of stock everywhere. Aside from buckshot and slugs, there's not a single 20 gauge box of any size available on Ammoseek and there hasn't been for at least 3-4 weeks. Same on Academy.com and Cabelas and Bass Pro. I didn't know there were so many new bird hunters buying up all the ammo in the offseason. LOL

I am loading up on 1.125 #9 12 gauge whenever I can find some and funnily enough, there is PLENTY of 28 gauge to be had.

Glad I already had a stockpile that will get me through this year but if this keeps up, next year might be tight. 

It’s a combination of the huge influx of new gun owners and panic buying by the gullible. 

Speaking of gullible, yesterday I bought a CP-33 I didn’t need because I could.
Now I need a can. Anybody got a suppressor recommendation?

On 1/30/2021 at 9:54 PM, fattyflattie said:

If you've got a few minutes, worth the watch.  I was in college during Katrina, and really don't remember this.  The vids of the cops hitting the elderly woman are pretty stomach wrenching.   Interesting CR material clips near the end, as a bonus.   If you give an inch, they'll take a mile has never seemed as prescient.

Colion is a great advocate. I he gets more attention.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Check it out! 20 gauge ammo! For 18 fucking bucks a box. Ho-lee Shit. 

https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/Details/6077191?source=A10001

I have never bought anything from sportsmansguide.com but you might want to look into them.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/federal-top-gun-target-20-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-shotshells-25-rounds?a=1582837

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I have never bought anything from sportsmansguide.com but you might want to look into them.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/federal-top-gun-target-20-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-shotshells-25-rounds?a=1582837

Appreciate the rec, but not surprisingly that's all sold out, too. 

This run on ammo is so fucking stupid. Hell, had to make an academy run this weekend, and checked out of habit. Before, they at least had some shotgun ammo (I bought some steel shot for duck hunting) a couple of weeks ago. This weekend...they had some 28 gauge. That’s it. That’s all the ammo they had.

FFS. I just need some 30/06 to tighten up the sighting in on my deer rifle. I want some .308 for the boy’s new gun for some range time. I don’t need a goddamned case. Just a couple of boxes. This is so fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This run on ammo is so fucking stupid. Hell, had to make an academy run this weekend, and checked out of habit. Before, they at least had some shotgun ammo (I bought some steel shot for duck hunting) a couple of weeks ago. This weekend...they had some 28 gauge. That’s it. That’s all the ammo they had.

FFS. I just need some 30/06 to tighten up the sighting in on my deer rifle. I want some .308 for the boy’s new gun for some range time. I don’t need a goddamned case. Just a couple of boxes. This is so fucking stupid.

If you need 308 I can set you up with some next week
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I just need some 30/06 to tighten up the sighting in on my deer rifle. I want some .308 for the boy’s new gun for some range time. I don’t need a goddamned case. Just a couple of boxes. This is so fucking stupid.

2-3$ per on Gunbroker.  I'm probably about to have to break down and start getting some there.  Sucks because I have a few rifles I have yet to shoot, and I usually pick up a few boxes of each to see what groups best.  Hardly anyone selling single boxes, so I'll be going in blindly on some I guess.  Saw something upthread that shotgun ammo is going for $15/box.  That is insane.   At some point you'd have to think gun purchases will stall out.  WTF would the casual shooter spend $500-3500 and not even be able to shoot it?

13 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Yep, I bought some of that, especially since it was #9.

Expensive as hell for something mid-tier, but I have to preserve my limited supply of AA 20ga for competition and I'll practice with this stupid expensive stuff. 

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Paranoids gonna paranoid.

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

He's got a pretty decent breakdown on HR 127 he just put out.  I'm not going to post it here, but you should take a look on YouTube.  If you think ammo is expensive...

Is it still just a bunch of hyperbole and fear mongering now?  That bill is real.  Will it pass?  Unlikely but you never know.  SheJack is a national treasure.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

At some point you'd have to think gun purchases will stall out.  WTF would the casual shooter spend $500-3500 and not even be able to shoot it?

I'm thinking we are almost to a tipping point where someone with plenty of 9mm, 5.56, .45 etc. will be able to trade excess ammo straight up for guns of real value that the other party rarely shoots or are in odd chamberings.  It would be a gamble that the ammo market returns to some sanity, but an interesting bet nonetheless. 

I'm always looking for 90's era 10mm's and unmolested military surplus rifles and I know I'd be tempted to part ways with some green tips or the like valued a $.70-.90/rd to make a deal.

I think we're close to that point in the panic......Especially as these bills that are being introduced get some press.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of ridiculous restrictions, has anybody used a solvent trap*?

Unrelated to the totally not a suppressor uses for a solvent trap, it seems like the turnaround on Form 1 is a lot shorter and less of a hassle than Form 4. Has anybody filed a form 1 and built a suppressor from a kit?

* Not for suppression, obviously.

FWIW, the $15 20 ga stuff at Lucky Gunner was a higher quality Federal product (Gold Medal with brass) and #9. The $18 stuff was a lower product (Top Gun with steel) and #8. 

So I bought some of the former since 20 ga #9 has been so hard to find. Even for that price I'm glad I got it. 

Skeet shooters gotta do what we gotta do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

He's got a pretty decent breakdown on HR 127 he just put out.  I'm not going to post it here, but you should take a look on YouTube.  If you think ammo is expensive...

IMO, HR 127 will stall in committee.  There is pretty much a bill like this introduced every session and it dies a quick death.  That said, there's no telling what will be passed in the next 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, davidg said:

IMO, HR 127 will stall in committee.  There is pretty much a bill like this introduced every session and it dies a quick death.  That said, there's no telling what will be passed in the next 2 years.

Nothing of significance will be passed in the new two years, except perhaps red flag laws and universal background checks, which a healthy majority of gun owners (including me) support anyway.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, davidg said:

So, I assume this is an ask for a mile and try to gain a few inches deal?  I've never really worried about this too much, but am becoming more concerned as time goes.  Guess that makes me a mark, or fool to some, but I don't really care.  For the first time I'm having to go back and figure out which firearms I have, and which ones I "don't" ;)    Never really thought about the language too much either, but "military type" is pretty fucking vague.  Pretty sure lots on military carry sidearms.  Pretty sure lots of snipers shoot dressed up bolt actions.  I sweatergawd if someone tells me there's an army clay pigeon team I might lose my shit.  

33 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nothing of significance will be passed in the new two years, except perhaps red flag laws and universal background checks, which a healthy majority of gun owners (including me) support anyway.

I doubt whether it's a majority or not, but in any case, that's the kind of incrementalism that will cause the hype to stay stoked up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

b726c2e231f842f02340e103a353df45.jpg

These are for you if you want them. You get first dibs. $34.99/box plus tax is what I paid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I doubt whether it's a majority or not, but in any case, that's the kind of incrementalism that will cause the hype to stay stoked up. 

The slope is not slippery. Universal background checks and Red flag laws are supported by broad majorities in both parties and by gun owners. Huge drop off in all groups for everything else. 

guns-graph-02.png?format=2500w

5D2ESEDJOU2QVMPCL7MPCGWPXQ.png

And the party view:

4GQZQRGTIUI6TE2DIDNVPT3KXU.png

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The slope is not slippery. Universal background checks and Red flag laws are supported by broad majorities in both parties and by gun owners. Huge drop off in all groups for everything else. 

I refuse to shit up this thread, but I'd like to ask you this because it can't be responsibly done in the CR.  If it needs to, DM me your response.

What is the purpose of SJL bill then?   And how do you consider it a "political gift" to the R's?  

@Handcruser are y'all still seeing Academy get regular shipments?   Last time I talked to my local one, they weren't getting near what they had been previously.  I don't plan on shooting anything other than some skeet (maybe) and a couple of pigs/turkey over the next few months, and I've got enough for that I guess.  I'll probably all stop the shooting with the kids because I'm not sure when I can find another brick of .22   I'm with @Brisketexan, this shit has gone past ridiculous. Supply/Demand I get it.  But people are stocking up on 3-4$ shells, too.  Self perpetuating prophecy at this point.  I don't watch the prices everyday.  I remember a few weeks ago you could still buy flats of 12/20 heavy dove/skeet/plink ammo all day at my Academy.  Now its 15$/box?  This has to price some folks out, no?

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm thinking we are almost to a tipping point where someone with plenty of 9mm, 5.56, .45 etc. will be able to trade excess ammo straight up for guns of real value that the other party rarely shoots or are in odd chamberings.  It would be a gamble that the ammo market returns to some sanity, but an interesting bet nonetheless.

I've already seen a few ammo for guns trades go down on Texags outdoor board.      I've found a stock pile of .222 and 28 gauge.  At some point it'll make sense to pickup the damn gun if that's all you can find to actually shoot.  I'm not the guy who'll buy anything on the shelf, just to trade for what I can use.  But those guys are going to be the ones who win in this deal. 

• Like 1

Show whatever polls you want, but when the actual proposals are made and people find out the details, support will drop. That's the way all political policy works. Support in general, opposition to the actual details of implementation. 

Going to leave it there and not CR this fucker up. 

Bottom line is that a not insignificant share of the population believes it will be harder to buy guns and ammo in the future so current demand has increased and caused shortages of both. Whether you think that's reasonable or not doesn't change the situation. 

I've already seen a few ammo for guns trades go down on Texags outdoor board.      I've found a stock pile of .222 and 28 gauge.  At some point it'll make sense to pickup the damn gun if that's all you can find to actually shoot.  I'm not the guy who'll buy anything on the shelf, just to trade for what I can use.  But those guys are going to be the ones who win in this deal. 

They still get stuff in but not quite as much imo. Line starts at 5:30am MWF.

Field and stream has some 20g if anyone needs it. WWB $16 I think.

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I refuse to shit up this thread, but I'd like to ask you this because it can't be responsibly done in the CR.  If it needs to, DM me your response.

What is the purpose of SJL bill then?   And how do you consider it a "political gift" to the R's?  

@Handcruser are y'all still seeing Academy get regular shipments?   Last time I talked to my local one, they weren't getting near what they had been previously.  I don't plan on shooting anything other than some skeet (maybe) and a couple of pigs/turkey over the next few months, and I've got enough for that I guess.  I'll probably all stop the shooting with the kids because I'm not sure when I can find another brick of .22   I'm with @Brisketexan, this shit has gone past ridiculous. Supply/Demand I get it.  But people are stocking up on 3-4$ shells, too.  Self perpetuating prophecy at this point.  I don't watch the prices everyday.  I remember a few weeks ago you could still buy flats of 12/20 heavy dove/skeet/plink ammo all day at my Academy.  Now its 15$/box?  This has to price some folks out, no?

Fair enough. I'll also DM you my source on value packs of .22LR.
But as much as I would also like to avoid CR talk here, you can't really talk about the ridiculousness of the current ammo situation without also talking about the cause, which has two components:
1) A ton of new shooters, mainly because of the political climate
2) The predictable hysterical overreaction by a minority of gun owners to the normal ebb and flow of politics. 

27 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Show whatever polls you want, but when the actual proposals are made and people find out the details, support will drop. That's the way all political policy works. Support in general, opposition to the actual details of implementation. 

Bottom line is that a not insignificant share of the population believes it will be harder to buy guns and ammo in the future so current demand has increased and caused shortages of both. Whether you think that's reasonable or not doesn't change the situation. 

Yes, a non-insignificant share does believe that, but there's no real evidence that they should. 

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This is what always happens.  It's the same disingenuous argument where someone cites early support polls on questions phrased in just such a way as to support their cause, only have it later crater when more details and alternative scenarios come to light.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, davidg said:

The Texas Legislature is already working to remove the teeth from anything that comes down the pipe from the Federal level. Similar to what individual states have done with marijuana laws, just make sure the state, county, and municipal officials don't enforce it, and loose funding if they do:

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/billtext/pdf/HB00919I.pdf

The only real problem I have right now, is it is making it expensive to shoot recreationally.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1