The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

42 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Had not considered that but you might be right. 

57 minutes ago, davidg said:

Those heavy 9 field loads are probably for live pigeon shoots.

By jove, he's right. 

http://www.rstshells.com/store/c/30-Pigeon-Loads.aspx

Something I've never participated in, but I've heard stories of the "old days" before it mostly went underground. 

I can definitely see how those loads do the trick: hot and fast and a whole lot of tiny pellets to knock down the target quick before it gets out of bounds. 

On 2/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, Reagan1k said:

Justin at Pre64win.com posted about a rifle earlier this week; almost identical to yours and it will be up for sale Friday I believe.  Would be a good measuring stick for you to determine valve.

He's also finishing up some work on a .458 that he'll offer soon.  That's quite the valuable heirloom and investment you have there.

Have you dated yours by serial number?  Model 70 serial # look-up

I'd certainly make sure to have that one appraised and scheduled on insurance, god forbid something ever happen.  That's no run of the mill rifle.

Mine is 1960 w/SN 493985 and this is what's on the Pre64.com site -

Image 2-6-21 at 9.35 AM.jpeg

IMG_8477_1b626ea6-2a84-4e79-9a91-f27ac63624cb_1296x.jpg

Edited by Cajun
Oops, looking over that one again, it was nowhere near the condition of the one I have and isn't the one you were referencing. I'm guessing mine has more value.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Shit man, technically you can't bring your own guns in from out of state. You have to transfer them to CA FFL and then literally buy them back but only if they meet all the requirements and hoops jumping as a new purchase. How that's not 2A violation - literally an infringement - I have no idea. 

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

All that being said, I'm 110% sure there are a shit ton of guns in state that never went through any of those procedures. Just don't get caught by the cops with one in your possession, I guess. 

I'm pretty sure the cops in most parts of the state don't really care that much unless you get popped for something else and they want to stack charges.

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Yep-  as Archie would sing-  “Those were the days...”

Back in the day, when I used to shoot these things competitively, we had to use 6 shot at most venues.  45 yard shots are pretty far for #9 to keep the momentum to do significant damage.  Not only have to knock it down in the ring, it can't walk out of the ring during your string.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Mine is 1960 w/SN 493985 and this is what's on the Pre64.com site -

Image 2-6-21 at 9.35 AM.jpeg

IMG_8477_1b626ea6-2a84-4e79-9a91-f27ac63624cb_1296x.jpg

That is the gun I knew he was going to post on Friday.  He sent out a teaser earlier this week.

That rifle was posted and sold for that price in less than 24-hours.

He is a meticulous grader and points out every blemish in his ads so you can compare and contrast his description vs. what you have and be the judge of yours in comparison.

You have a valuable rifle regardless.

14 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Back in the day, when I used to shoot these things competitively, we had to use 6 shot at most venues.  45 yard shots are pretty far for #9 to keep the momentum to do significant damage.  Not only have to knock it down in the ring, it can't walk out of the ring during your string.  

Before I moved, I had a place where I could go shoot ringnecks (not the runners - the eurasians) whenever I wanted.

My gun of choice was a Model 12 16ga with #6 loads.  Just like in those pigeon shoots....those suckers can take a lick and can cost you a lot of money or a long walk if they aren't DRT.

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Before I moved, I had a place where I could go shoot ringnecks (not the runners - the eurasians) whenever I wanted.

My gun of choice was a Model 12 16ga with #6 loads.  Just like in those pigeon shoots....those suckers can take a lick and can cost you a lot of money or a long walk if they aren't DRT.

As Jerry Clower used to put it.... "Grave. Yard. Dead!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was cleaning out my ammo closet today.  I’ve never panic bought ammo.  I’m the type when I’m at wal mart or academy and there is 5.56, shotgun or 22 ammo I buy a few boxes.  I just realized that over the last 15 years I’ve acquired a shitload or ammo

5k rounds of 5.56

5k plus rounds of 22

200 rounds plus or minus 20 of each of my deer rifle cartridges — 300 wby mag, 270 wby mag, 257 wby mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7 mag, 270, 308 and 243. Ever since I got into ARs I just don’t shoot these much.  Whatever I harvest from a blind is it   

i have ten cases split even between 12 and 20 gauge dove loads 

I have enough steel shot to last me the rest of my life since I waterfowl hunt once a year these days

my pistol ammo is where I’m short   A few boxes of 40 cal, 45, 38 spl, 380, 357 and fn 5-7   My 5-7 is all I carry at the ranch now  

I bet I could make a killing selling off a bunch   But I’d rather keep it   

I will buy more once the prices drop whenever that is   

• Hook 'Em 2

Took the boy to the range to try out his MAS 49/56. It’s a shooter. We had some federal lead tip .308 (thanks TexasEd) and some Winchester ballistic tip (thanks handcruser). The lead tip would have a cycling issue occasionally, the ballistic tip ran smoothly. Got it mostly dialed in at 50 yards (open sights), will need to refine it further when we get more ammo.

The boy also enjoyed the fact that three different people came up to ask about his gun, as it’s kinda unusual to see out there. Good conversations with folks (led to a side conversation with the boy on the way home about the politics - he loves shooting recreationally, would even like to get into shooting sports....but laments how they have become SO associated with a particular political lean. But I digress - it was just an interesting, grown up conversation). It was just a nice day, kinda social, all that.

I also shot my 30/06, which sure enough, was shooting a few inches right and 5 inches low. I got it centered, but ran out of ammo before I could fix the elevation. So, need to find a few boxes of ammo to finish, and then have on hand for hunting.

Grabbed some Blacks bbq on the way home for dinner. Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Reloading supplies & components are as scarce as factory ammo too, unless one is lucky.

Makes sense with the run on tulip bulbs ammo. Thanks.

bubble: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Edited by washparkhorn
link to Tulip mania - the history

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably because it's not true.  It sure is repeated a lot on dipshit alt-right sites.

In fact, if you want to see a sampling of dipshit lying pollitcal websites, google "Beto gun czar."

I’ll pass. 2 days in the CR this week and I’m done with politics for a bit. I’ll take your word for it. 

51 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Reloading supplies & components are as scarce as factory ammo too, unless one is lucky.

This, there is no powder to be found. We have an extensive amount of brass and bullets just sitting there. I told CHIEF Jr. he needs to find a CE buddy at school, and go into the gunpowder business. We have about 16 pounds of Reliant "Steel" powder that we use to load steel shot for waterfowl, I could probably sell it for enough to retire.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

This, there is no powder to be found. We have an extensive amount of brass and bullets just sitting there. I told CHIEF Jr. he needs to find a CE buddy at school, and go into the gunpowder business. We have about 16 pounds of Reliant "Steel" powder that we use to load steel shot for waterfowl, I could probably sell it for enough to retire.

CHIEF

Some would say that primers are even harder to find than powder. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I also shot my 30/06, which sure enough, was shooting a few inches right and 5 inches low.

That's pretty far off to unless you really dinged it.  Any chance the scope has something going on in the internals?   Not apropos of anything, but I had one that would just "wander off" like that during the offseason.  Coincidentally an old sporterized '06.  I could sight it in, and go hunt that weekend, but sure as shit the next time I went to the range it would be all over the place.  Forget what they called it, but basically the reticle would just "travel".  

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That's pretty far off to unless you really dinged it.  Any chance the scope has something going on in the internals?   Not apropos of anything, but I had one that would just "wander off" like that during the offseason.  Coincidentally an old sporterized '06.  I could sight it in, and go hunt that weekend, but sure as shit the next time I went to the range it would be all over the place.  Forget what they called it, but basically the reticle would just "travel".  

eta: I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the convo with your son.  NOT here.  But genuinely interested in his perspective in several aspects.

Pretty sure it got knocked. It’s shot pretty true for years with that scope. It’s not fancy - 3x9 Redfield, but has been a solid performer. That said, I want to get it dialed in soon, then check it again before next season.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty sure it got knocked. It’s shot pretty true for years with that scope. It’s not fancy - 3x9 Redfield, but has been a solid performer. That said, I want to get it dialed in soon, then check it again before next season.

Well the good thing I guess (if the glass does need replacing) we are in the freaking golden age of glass.  I'm getting ready to plunk down some serious coin and top a few that I've purchased over the last few years, but never had dedicated glass for.  It's very very difficult to land on something because there is so much quality out there right now.  Down to Swaro Z5 vs Leupold VX/Mark 5.  Long story short, for $1500 you can have some lifetime glass.  The problem is having a bunch of naked rilfes...:(

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well the good thing I guess (if the glass does need replacing) we are in the freaking golden age of glass.  I'm getting ready to plunk down some serious coin and top a few that I've purchased over the last few years, but never had dedicated glass for.  It's very very difficult to land on something because there is so much quality out there right now.  Down to Swaro Z5 vs Leupold VX/Mark 5.  Long story short, for $1500 you can have some lifetime glass.  The problem is having a bunch of naked rilfes...:(

Yep, you can good glass at a reasonable cost, I have this Zeiss in Stainless https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009468886, it's a discontinued model, but I think I only paid $699 for it. What is so cool about it, you get on their website, enter your caliber, bullet weight, manufacturer, and subset brand (Ballistic Silvertip) and it tells you the exact power of magnification to make the mil-dots accurate. Mine is set at 13.75. I went to go look it up, it's only based as a phone app now, which is even better.

CHIEF

On 2/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Kinda looks like a manufacturer boycott to me. Like they are using inconvenience to encourage their owners/buyers to pressure the state leg. Good strategy if that’s what they are doing.

No, what has happened is that California requires dual micro-stamping for any handguns that will be added to the roster. The firing pin of the firearm must imprint a unique code on each primer of each round that is fired, and the bullet itself must be micro-stamped as well, so it can be identified and matched with the firing handgun if it is recovered. Since the technology does not exist to do this, no manufacturers will be adding firearms to the list. I can assure you no manufacturer is boycotting the biggest firearms market in the world. 

There is pending litigation involving these issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:52 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

By jove, he's right. 

http://www.rstshells.com/store/c/30-Pigeon-Loads.aspx

Something I've never participated in, but I've heard stories of the "old days" before it mostly went underground. 

I can definitely see how those loads do the trick: hot and fast and a whole lot of tiny pellets to knock down the target quick before it gets out of bounds. 

It's a tightrope because it's frowned upon to pepper the thrower. 

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably because it's not true.  It sure is repeated a lot on dipshit alt-right sites.

In fact, if you want to see a sampling of dipshit lying pollitcal websites, google "Beto gun czar."

Here's an article from noted dipshit alt-right site ... Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-biden-orourke-guns/partly-false-claimvideo-shows-joe-bidensayingif-he-wins-hes-coming-forourguns-idUSKBN20S2ST

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Would you have an example from the Daily Wire-esqe AP?  

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I had the internal mount on the scope rings come lose before. Check that too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

No, what has happened is that California requires dual micro-stamping for any handguns that will be added to the roster. The firing pin of the firearm must imprint a unique code on each primer of each round that is fired, and the bullet itself must be micro-stamped as well, so it can be identified and matched with the firing handgun if it is recovered. Since the technology does not exist to do this, no manufacturers will be adding firearms to the list. I can assure you no manufacturer is boycotting the biggest firearms market in the world. 

There is pending litigation involving these issues.

That's fascinating. It's an interesting idea. But ... I would imagine that SAAMI would have something to say about this.  You say the tech doesn't exist. Is it that it doesn't exist or nobody is doing it because the tech is proprietary or the tooling is cost prohibitive? How many companies can actually make/deliver the tech to support the manufacture of a "micro-stamp" firing pin?

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's fascinating. It's an interesting idea. But ... I would imagine that SAAMI would have something to say about this.  You say the tech doesn't exist. Is it that it doesn't exist or nobody is doing it because the tech is proprietary or the tooling is cost prohibitive? How many companies can actually make/deliver the tech to support the manufacture of a "micro-stamp" firing pin?

SAAMI filed suit along with NSSF

There is a patent on the technology but it has not been reduced to practice by anybody ever. Including the patent holder. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

An affordable with my assumption are chitty rings?  Check those, as often they are the culprit.  5 inches off is massive.  At the very least, upgrade those rings to something more reliable.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

An affordable with my assumption are chitty rings?  Check those, as often they are the culprit.  5 inches off is massive.  At the very least, upgrade those rings to something more reliable.

Thanks, I'll check the entire assembly.  The optics package as a whole was "mid-range" when we put it on.....20+ years ago at Carter Country.  Like I said, they've performed pretty flawlessly for decades (I have the same setup on my .300 Weatherby Mag, and I've made spot-on 250 yard shots with that one), but it never hurts to check every component.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It doesn't exist because it's unnecessary.  MIcro-stamping mates the chamber and the cartridge.....which already exists via ballistic comparisons on the ejector patterns.  This is like requiring a voter registration card for everyone printed on gold leaf.  It just makes it prohibitively expensive to manufacture.  

Further, it's woefully unreliable and again, cost prohibitive.  A firing pin is just a small pin.  What stops you from swapping out the pins?

This is from a Glock....not exactly an internal component piece from a Breitling.  Anyone with a lathe could turn out thousands of these.

Image result for glock firing pin

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It doesn't exist because it's unnecessary.  MIcro-stamping mates the chamber and the cartridge.....which already exists via ballistic comparisons on the ejector patterns.  This is like requiring a voter registration card for everyone printed on gold leaf.  It just makes it prohibitively expensive to manufacture.  

Further, it's woefully unreliable and again, cost prohibitive.  A firing pin is just a small pin.  What stops you from swapping out the pins?

This is from a Glock....not exactly an internal component piece from a Breitling.  Anyone with a lathe could turn out thousands of these.

Image result for glock firing pin

What makes you not just file it a bit?