The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

32 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Question.  I have an M&P Sport with a fixed front sight. I would like to put a scope on it.  If mounted at normal height, will the front sight be visible through the scope at every magnification?  Thinking about a 3x9.

You mounting to a flat top pic rail?

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Question.  I have an M&P Sport with a fixed front sight. I would like to put a scope on it.  If mounted at normal height, will the front sight be visible through the scope at every magnification?  Thinking about a 3x9.

No

Thank you.  Can you recommend an inexpensive scope?  I have Leupold scopes on two of my deer rifles and I don't think I want to put a +$500 scope on an AR used for shooting hogs.  I am actually impressed with the cheap Nikon scope that came on the Savage .243 I bought for the kids.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Thank you.  Can you recommend an inexpensive scope?  I have Leupold scopes on two of my deer rifles and I don't think I want to put a +$500 scope on an AR used for shooting hogs.  I am actually impressed with the cheap Nikon scope that came on the Savage .243 I bought for the kids.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I haven’t used one, but the Nikon P-223 3-9 gets good reviews and the price is nice.

KTaohCm.png

8 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

This one has a lighted reticle. 

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-ffp-riflescope-arc-2-moa-reticle

7 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Nothing wrong with that P-223 scope for a hog chaser?  As mentioned above, I don't think the front sight will be visible as the focal point at even 3x magnification will be past the sight.  Should be invisible I think.

I believe you are correct.

Anybody practicing with a MantisX ?   

MantisX

My partner got one last week and brought it in today with his carry 1911.  Pretty impressive little tool.  He loves it.  

I've only dry fired with it but it was sensitive enough to pick up my normal tendencies and display them.

I'm sold so far. 

Here’s what a 270 case looks like after you shoot it in your 7mm Mag. My dad has two identical Rem 700s, and had a little “oops” last year. Some brass even blew back and cut his face. He doesn’t like to practice shooting; if he’d brought his gear out a few weeks before the season in broad daylight he might have caught the issue, but not at 5am on opening morning. I know for myself and most other people, this is the case: If you go hunting and haven’t shot your rifle since last year, your first shot is going to be bad; this one was just real bad.

yGohOvg.jpg

7ESMRIo.jpg

39 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

686 - That's scary.

Yeah, and we were really lucky:  the 270 bullet bounced down the barrel and actually nicked the spike buck he was shooting at. I don't want to even think about what a 300 WSM round or something which would have chambered, but the bullet would have been oversized for the barrel would have done. 

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Bet you were when she believed your speculation on how it got there

When did you actually buy the gun & hide it up there?:P

Lol, actually that was exactly her first reaction.  “When did you get this and why are you planning on making your last stand in the master bathroom?!”  

It wasn’t until I told her it wasn’t mine and she realized it had been there all along that she really began to freak. 

1522270291633.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Arizona police department mounts AR-15 rifles on backs of some motorcycles

Some officers in the Tempe Police Department are now able to drive around with AR-15 rifles mounted behind them, local authorities said.

At least eight of the department’s motorcycles now have a mount on the backs where officers can place the rifle. Tempe Police Sgt. Ronald Elcock told KNXV that the department tested the mounts for a few months before deciding to implement them.

The reasoning, he said, is to equip the officers with something more powerful than a handgun, as motorcycle officers are typically the first to arrive at a crime scene.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/28/arizona-police-department-mounts-ar-15-rifles-on-backs-some-motorcycles.html

What's on your current gun "grocery list" ....not necessarily a bucket list but what are you shopping for or clearing safe space for now?

I'm on a bit of a wheel gun / bolt action bender right now and am looking at the following....

Blackhawk .30 carbine 

Lipsey / Blackhawk 10mm/.40s&w  4 5/8"  combo  

Bergara Woodsman 6.5 Creedmoor

Winchester 70 Super Grade .300 win mag or .338 win mag

What's on your current gun "grocery list" ....not necessarily a bucket list but what are you shopping for or clearing safe space for now?

I'm on a bit of a wheel gun / bolt action bender right now and am looking at the following....

Blackhawk .30 carbine 

This particular FN FAL variant-

[image]http://autoweapons.com/photosn/photossep04/824fne.jpg[/image]

And a 224 Valkyrie

Blackhawk .30 carbine 

Sig 229 in .357 sig
Home-built, high-end ar10 in 6.5 creed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Heavy 6 said:

And a 224 Valkyrie

Ahhh. Forgot that.  Really putting that off until I finishing working out the 6.5cm I built last fall.  

I have less than 100 rounds through it and don’t need to be breaking in another AR right now.... but those PSA uppers keep calling my name. 

Great call in the FAL-  classic battle rifle-  takes me back to flipping through old Soldier of Fortune magazines in the 80’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I’m in process of putting together a model 70 from a really nice supergrade stock I picked up. Will be a .270 with some custom massages. 

I think I’m going to build one more in 22-250 after the .270  

Then im back to saving my pennies for a Joel Etchen 687.   I’m going to end up putting off an AR until something happens and they go away. I need to get me one or two of them at some point. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Ruger Single Seven Birdshead .327 Federal

Ruger Sinle Six Stainless .22/.22Mag Convertible 4&5/8"

Stainless Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible 4&5/8"

Redhawk 4.2" .44 Magnum

CZ 75 Compact

Sig 365 Compact

Colt SAA .357 or .45 Colt 4.75" (or both)

Colt Series 70 .45 Government in Blue.

Springfield Armory Stainless Milspec .45

North American Sidewinder .22 Magnum

North American Ranger II .22 Magnum

Colt 1991 A1 .45 Stainless Commander

Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless 7.5"

Ruger Security 9

Kahr P9

Kahr S9

Kahr K9 Elite

• Like 2

I recently bought a “bucket list” gun- a very particular variant of the S&W 617 22LR. These only come up on gunbroker every few years.

Requirements-

8 3/8 barrel
10 rd cylinder
NO goddamn internal lock
Box and paperwork

Only a few of these were made so when one popped up on GB I snagged it.

8d4fe26e0e2ff123f261cfd2612cbfdf.jpg

17b327c489a82a36039624954a098880.jpg

0583b82bbb3f02458e1465b57e3524a1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heavy 6 said:

I recently bought a “bucket list” gun- a very particular variant of the S&W 617 22LR. These only come up on gunbroker every few years.

Requirements-

8 3/8 barrel
10 rd cylinder
NO goddamn internal lock
Box and paperwork

Only a few of these were made so when one popped up on GB I snagged it.

That is one heckuva find!

I didn't know such a wondrous thing existed.

Brother's 6" K-22 is the only variant I've ever handled & shot. Arguably the finest double action .22 revolver ever made. A close runner up is the Model 34 I gave to my oldest grandson a few years ago.

CA3_BA93_B_379_D_4940_B1_A0_C5_EBAD69_DF

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

No kidding. About 30 years ago I traded a LNIB Colt Trooper Mark III .22lr with 6" barrel for a NIB Colt Government .380 straight up. Still have the .380 (worth $700 LNIB), but have seen those Mark III listed for upwards of $1,100 - $1,200. fml

Traded my brother for one of his SAA .357 3rd Gens three years ago (NIB) -trade was valued at $1,300 at the time. Now they are going for $2,000 & up if you can find one.

Edited by Armybrat