The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Most that have had them have not been in gangs, but you are correct that they haven't historically been big gun owners. I think you underestimate the number of rural minorities who own guns versus the criminal element. But regardless, you are correct that the gun ownership among minorities isn't near what it is among white folks, mostly due to racist gun control policies aimed at disarming them.

You wouldn't believe how many minorities are hunters. Hell, I've been on a lease with Winfred Tubbs. Yes, that Winfred Tubbs. We weren't leasing the same pastures, but we had the same camp on a huge ranch. He is the one that puts together the hunters for his group of hunters, two of which are friends of ours, here, in Granbury. I know of very few rural minorities that don't have some type of firearm for protection, or I should really say "country" minorities.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

And saying minorities dont own guns is idiotic. Especially here in Texas. South texas is full of mexicans and tons have multiple firearms.
Not sure on nationwide, but Texas most def more have than dont.

It's nationwide.  Guns are everywhere around DC and in the city. There's been write ups about it.   And since pot is legal now in DC and laws are relaxed in the suburbs, less minorities are likely to be jailed or get felonies. Fourth of July and New Years get festive in our neighboring town, which also houses the dueling grounds and was the last line of defense into DC.  It's also why guns aren't getting outlawed anytime soon.  But to each their own.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, williemackgarza said:

TopoC-
Im interested in the guns for sale

And saying minorities dont own guns is idiotic. Especially here in Texas. South texas is full of mexicans and tons have multiple firearms.
Not sure on nationwide, but Texas most def more have than dont.

Texas gonna' Texas, but he's correct - nationwide many minorities have lagged behind per capita on ownership percentages.  I applaud them for and everyone else for stepping up, buying, and hopefully learning and practicing their proficiency.  

I believe in the old adage:  an armed society is a polite society.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yes they do - 5 rounds. Too bad they haven’t revived the model with an extended magazine that holds a dozen.

That would be a MF'er of a HD option.  Semi-auto .44mag.  My biggest fear would be over penetration of interior walls & ceilings.  Hell of a pig/truck gun as well.  

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That would be a MF'er of a HD option.  Semi-auto .44mag.  My biggest fear would be over penetration of interior walls & ceilings.  Hell of a pig/truck gun as well.  

Yeah.... it’s about as slick of a compact utility rifle as can be.  They’re $800-$1200 at the auction houses now.  A lot of nostalgic buying and also the renewed interest in pistol cartridge carbines.

I had a chance to buy one that was pristine and still in the box  alongside a 10/22 in 22mag which is quite rare, and let them slip through my fingers when I missed the auction.  Still kicking myself. 

29 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

My friend has one. Fully suppressed barrel, not sure how it works but it is quiet enough to shoot in the neighborhood. It is one bad MF. 

If you are talking about the .44 carbine, that was probably built as a animal control weapon.  I know that TPWD and other state's agencies had contracts years back for the Ruger 77/44 with an integrally suppressed barrel and I'm sure there were some semi-auto carbines made.  That round with the proper load did suppress well, and the .44 packed enough punch for wardens to use to put down any size animal in urban settings.

You can still get the 77/44 converted or find some of the old ones out on the market.  To fine a semi-auto would be a unicorn and a must buy for me.

46 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

If you are talking about the .44 carbine, that was probably built as a animal control weapon.  I know that TPWD and other state's agencies had contracts years back for the Ruger 77/44 with an integrally suppressed barrel and I'm sure there were some semi-auto carbines made.  That round with the proper load did suppress well, and the .44 packed enough punch for wardens to use to put down any size animal in urban settings.

You can still get the 77/44 converted or find some of the old ones out on the market.  To fine a semi-auto would be a unicorn and a must buy for me.

Yeah, which one of you sumbitches is this:

You can tell me in a DM. You're goofy, but got a sweet setup. Used to be the setup that I showed my friends that I wanted. I think it is a Knight suppressed barrel, built onto the 77/44. 77/44 already out of production at the time of the video.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
yada yada yada

. But regardless, you are correct that the gun ownership among minorities isn't near what it is among white folks, mostly due to racist gun control policies aimed at disarming them.

What policies are you talking about? If it is a policy I am guessing it has been written.

This is terrible and we need to have this law removed immediately.

Umm... are you suggesting that most gun control policies weren't intended to disarm minorities? That's been pretty well established for a long time. You can't have the Black Panthers exercising their 2nd amendment rights if you intend to oppress them. There is plenty of documentation for this if you care to look for it. And, no, it isn't something we as gun owners should be proud of. If Black Live Matter folks want to march peacefully on the square with their modern sporting rifles then I am right there with them.

After all, the cops have probably killed some white person's dog that i know.

40 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Umm... are you suggesting that most gun control policies weren't intended to disarm minorities? That's been pretty well established for a long time. You can't have the Black Panthers exercising their 2nd amendment rights if you intend to oppress them. There is plenty of documentation for this if you care to look for it. And, no, it isn't something we as gun owners should be proud of. If Black Live Matter folks want to march peacefully on the square with their modern sporting rifles then I am right there with them.

After all, the cops have probably killed some white person's dog that i know.

I think all gun control is racist, it isn't affecting most white folks from owning.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

What policies are you talking about? If it is a policy I am guessing it has been written.

This is terrible and we need to have this law removed immediately.

Most gun control policies are racially-driven in some way, especially the prohibitions on carry and handguns. Modern gun control started when Reagan responded to the Black Panthers' occupation of the California state house.

If you want examples, Maryland has a license to purchase a handgun. To get the license, you have to go to a range and fire one - and only one - live round. There is no proficiency requirement. You can fire it into a bucket of sand (and often that's what you do). So why do you have to do that? I'll give you a hint - how many ranges are there in Baltimore? How accessible are they by public transportation? Can you carry a firearm on public transportation? Can you get a concealed carry permit in Maryland?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

To get the license, you have to go to a range and fire one - and only one - live round. There is no proficiency requirement. You can fire it into a bucket of sand (and often that's what you do). So why do you have to do that? I'll give you a hint - how many ranges are there in Baltimore?

I googled and found 2, surprised by that. Do you have to fire the gun you are purchasing, or any firearm?  If any firearm, you’d think there would be a market for the ranges to “certify” people.   

I see what you are getting at but a bus ride across town is a pretty weak hindrance.  Right now they are talking about yearly classes, big $$$ license renewals, licensed therapist interviews, etc. That is a legit hindrance to the poor. 

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Most gun control policies are racially-driven in some way, especially the prohibitions on carry and handguns. Modern gun control started when Reagan responded to the Black Panthers' occupation of the California state house.

If you want examples, Maryland has a license to purchase a handgun. To get the license, you have to go to a range and fire one - and only one - live round. There is no proficiency requirement. You can fire it into a bucket of sand (and often that's what you do). So why do you have to do that? I'll give you a hint - how many ranges are there in Baltimore? How accessible are they by public transportation? Can you carry a firearm on public transportation? Can you get a concealed carry permit in Maryland?

The origins of gun control in the US began before the American Revolution and were based on keeping firearms out of the hands of slaves. Then King George tried to go full seizure on the colonial rebels in 1775.

That continued until the Civil War in the South, then afterwards with Reconstruction it was directed at the freed slaves. But post war many localities began to clamp down on everybody (look at the gun carry policies of some western marshals like Wyatt Earp‘s family). It got worse in the Eastern states in the 20th century... led by New York.  And yes, Governor Ronald Reagan went the reactionary route when he saw the Black Panthers exercising their Constitutional right in 1960s California. Not to mention him signing the 1986 gun control infringement.

Good study on the overall legal history of racism & gun control:

http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/media/29094/the-racist-roots-of-gun-control.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I googled and found 2, surprised by that. Do you have to fire the gun you are purchasing, or any firearm?  If any firearm, you’d think there would be a market for the ranges to “certify” people.   

I see what you are getting at but a bus ride across town is a pretty weak hindrance.  Right now they are talking about yearly classes, big $$$ license renewals, licensed therapist interviews, etc. That is a legit hindrance to the poor. 

There are no gun ranges in Baltimore. You are seeing gun ranges outside the city. 

My point is not on the extent of the burden. My point is that an effort was made to dissuade people who live inside the city from getting the license by adding the pointless "one shot" requirement. The city, obviously, is primarily black. 

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

The origins of gun control in the US began before the American Revolution and were based on keeping firearms out of the hands of slaves. Then King George tried to go full seizure on the colonial rebels in 1775.

That continued until the Civil War in the South, then afterwards with Reconstruction it was directed at the freed slaves. But post war many localities began to clamp down on everybody (look at the gun carry policies of some western marshals like Wyatt Earp‘s family). It got worse in the Eastern states in the 20th century... led by New York.  And yes, Governor Ronald Reagan went the reactionary route when he saw the Black Panthers exercising their Constitutional right in 1960s California. Not to mention him signing the 1986 gun control infringement.

Good study on the overall legal history of racism & gun control:

http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/media/29094/the-racist-roots-of-gun-control.pdf

Clayton Cramer, Steve Halbrook, Nicholas Johnson, have all done very good work on the racist history of gun control. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

There are no gun ranges in Baltimore. You are seeing gun ranges outside the city. 

My point is not on the extent of the burden. My point is that an effort was made to dissuade people who live inside the city from getting the license by adding the pointless "one shot" requirement. The city, obviously, is primarily black. 

Well, there isn’t one gun shop in Chicago.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, 4th and 5 said:

My friend has one. Fully suppressed barrel, not sure how it works but it is quiet enough to shoot in the neighborhood. It is one bad MF. 

He's gotta' be shooting subs or reduced capacity loads, as no amount of engineering marvel will alter the laws of physics or the sound an object makes breaking the sound barrier.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Thanks. I don’t have the holster yet but It’ll be IWB. I need to find one that will accommodate the reflex. 

Mine is IWB as well.  Picked this one up for that specific reason that it has a clearance above the back of the slide for optics; which I plan on adding one day.  It's a middle of the road holster, but so far works fine.  Just find one you like with the same clearance.  I wanted one as small as possible as and didn't want and issues with the pistol printing in a t-shirt or polo, etc. in warmer weather

365 with holster.jpg

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Mine is IWB as well.  Picked this one up for that specific reason that it has a clearance above the back of the slide for optics; which I plan on adding one day.  It's a middle of the road holster, but so far works fine.  Just find one you like with the same clearance.  I wanted one as small as possible as and didn't want and issues with the pistol printing in a t-shirt or polo, etc. in warmer weather

365 with holster.jpg

Thanks for the help. I'm actually going to stick to leather if I can find one. I've used leather since I started carrying my 9mm Shield about 5 years ago and I have no complaints about it. I have some time to look as I'm not going to carry the Sig until I can fire it a couple of times to make sure it doesn't have any issues. 

2 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Thanks for the help. I'm actually going to stick to leather if I can find one. I've used leather since I started carrying my 9mm Shield about 5 years ago and I have no complaints about it. I have some time to look as I'm not going to carry the Sig until I can fire it a couple of times to make sure it doesn't have any issues. 

I'm going to "upgrade" to leather as well.  THE single most comfortable version I have ever borrower was the SOB (Sheriff of Baghdad) Condom customer holster.  Run about $85.  Just email on their site the color, left or right handed, and gun type.  They have this softer flap of leather that runs up the slide and is positioned between it and you skin....buttah'

Check 'em out.  

Holsters

See how the tops of the slides are open, fine for optics

Leather Holsters - Sheriff of Baghdad - Condom Holster - IWB - Concealed

• Hook 'Em 1

Did he? That's the first gun my daughters ever shot. Love that gun. That being said, with the Wrangler available for less than half the price it would be hard not to buy two Wranglers instead of one single six. 

I’ve had it for about 15 years. I think I gave either $150 or $200 bucks for it.

My boy is 6, said it’s a cowboy gun. Promptly had to set up a class Call of Duty for him with the damn magnum.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm going to "upgrade" to leather as well.  THE single most comfortable version I have ever borrower was the SOB (Sheriff of Baghdad) Condom customer holster.  Run about $85.  Just email on their site the color, left or right handed, and gun type.  They have this softer flap of leather that runs up the slide and is positioned between it and you skin....buttah'

Check 'em out.  

Holsters

See how the tops of the slides are open, fine for optics

Leather Holsters - Sheriff of Baghdad - Condom Holster - IWB - Concealed

Well it looks like I found my holster. Thanks for the rec man. I appreciate it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, speed817 said:

Anybody in Dallas County know who I should send my CLEO notification to for my form 1 and 5320.23 form?  Address?  I'm expecting most of my parts for my SBR to be arrive within the next few weeks so I need to get the ball rolling on this.

How did you file and how long was the turnaround? 

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How did you file and how long was the turnaround? 

I haven't filed my form 1 yet.  I just started filling out the e-form last night and got my photos done for the 5320.23 form.  I just know that I will have to send a copy to the CLEO as notification but I'm don't know who I need to send it to. 

2 hours ago, speed817 said:

I haven't filed my form 1 yet.  I just started filling out the e-form last night and got my photos done for the 5320.23 form.  I just know that I will have to send a copy to the CLEO as notification but I'm don't know who I need to send it to. 

This guy says you just fill out your county sherriff and other useful info:

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I agree that the gun looks great but I feel like those accessories are going to make it harder to truly conceal and carry.  

I'll skip the red dot optic part - I know guys here carry with those and trust them. 

The comp on a 9mm I don't get.  Makes the gun longer, louder and throws a blinding flash when shooting in the dark.  The trade-off is muting the recoil energy of 9mm? 

Hey guys, looking for recs. Been pretty happy with my carry piece for the last few years, but with working from home looking more permanent, I find myself not carrying my compact 1911 with me as often. So I’d like to add something even smaller and more compact for those trips around the block with the dog. Last time I looked at these small subcompacts, I somewhat liked the P238, but not enough to acquire one. I see since I last looked (maybe 10 years ago) there are quite a few more options on the market.

all that said, what do y’all like these days? What should I be looking at and what should I steer clear from?

9 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Hey guys, looking for recs. Been pretty happy with my carry piece for the last few years, but with working from home looking more permanent, I find myself not carrying my compact 1911 with me as often. So I’d like to add something even smaller and more compact for those trips around the block with the dog. Last time I looked at these small subcompacts, I somewhat liked the P238, but not enough to acquire one. I see since I last looked (maybe 10 years ago) there are quite a few more options on the market.

all that said, what do y’all like these days? What should I be looking at and what should I steer clear from?

Compact 1911's are notoriously finicky.  I looked at the P238, and do love the platform as a friend has one, but it has capacity limitations and I do not like the manual safety, as it's not a "true" 1911 that you can carry in condition one.

There are so many amazing polymer striker fired options for much less.  The Shield and Shield 2.0 are timeless.  They conceal well.  Point well.  Years of proven reliability.  I carry the P365 with an extended 12rd mag.  Love that little gun.  My wife likes to shoot it.  Price point is right @ $500.  The new Hellcat is also getting rave reviews.  You aren't carrying as much because of the gun/holster combo.  It's either too big, not comfortable, something.  So go smaller with something that fits better.  These new double-stack polymer compacts are really nice.  

I'd try and find a place that rents them so you can try them out prior if possible.  Just remember, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

*and if you do get one, get a mag loader.  Springs are tight as F.  You can thank me later.  

• Like 2

I went from the G43 to the Hellcat. Took a little getting use to but I like it. Really like it.

365 or Hellcat is where it’s at these days.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gracias gents.

also just a point of clarification, my current carry piece is an officer’s model 1911, 4 inch barrel. Love it, and it will continue to be my main piece. So looking for small as possible, but would like to stay with 9mm as smallest caliber. Loving the above recs tho.

and of course, this is just initial research, I’ll shoot before I buy. 

any other opinions? 

Edited by UnivTex34