The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Gracias gents.

also just a point of clarification, my current carry piece is an officer’s model 1911, 4 inch barrel. Love it, and it will continue to be my main piece. So looking for small as possible, but would like to stay with 9mm as smallest caliber. Loving the above recs tho.

and of course, this is just initial research, I’ll shoot before I buy. 

any other opinions? 

No. You should get a polymer, striker fired pistol in 9mm that is as small as you are comfortable with.

That’s it. No metal 1911 little baby brother bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Gracias gents.

also just a point of clarification, my current carry piece is an officer’s model 1911, 4 inch barrel. Love it, and it will continue to be my main piece. So looking for small as possible, but would like to stay with 9mm as smallest caliber. Loving the above recs tho.

and of course, this is just initial research, I’ll shoot before I buy. 

any other opinions? 

I carry a Ruger LC9s 9mm whenever I'm just casually out and about. I'm IWB so for me it's definitely the most comfortable gun I carry.

image.jpeg.e0bb01f945e524f2c18cfbf0ea5aea5a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, midtown said:

I also carry the LC9. Just got mine back from ruger. Lots of people having issues with the trigger not engaging. Might want to keep an eye on that. You don't want to find out the hard way.

Wasn't aware of that, good to know though. Was it an actual trigger problem or something with the recoil spring?

Not sure from a mechanical standpoint but in my dealings with Ruger they seemed well aware of the issues.  Reading below.  Hammer catch spring.  Sent me a prepaid shipping label and returned it with a gift as an apology.  Wish I had kept the repair notice that came back.

https://www.rugerpistolforums.com/threads/lc9-trigger-wont-reset.12738/

Edited by midtown

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

No. You should get a polymer, striker fired pistol in 9mm that is as small as you are comfortable with.

That’s it. No metal 1911 little baby brother bullshit.

This.  As stated, smaller framed 1911's are notoriously finicky due to the design specs.  With their metal frames, they are heavy and don't print well at all when carrying.  The single best attribute of any 1911 is it's trigger.  Keep it close to you when inside the house.  The weight helps stabilize shots better and tame recoil.  Perfect for HD, not perfect to EDC.  Every tool has it's place.

I keep my full size Sig 1911 at the bed side.  Even at the ranch and OWB, it's heavy.  Never carry it, I love shooting it.  Tames that .45 acp perfectly and I shoot it better than any other.  So at home, it's my go to.  

1911.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

This.  As stated, smaller framed 1911's are notoriously finicky due to the design specs.  With their metal frames, they are heavy and don't print well at all when carrying.  The single best attribute of any 1911 is it's trigger.  Keep it close to you when inside the house.  The weight helps stabilize shots better and tame recoil.  Perfect for HD, not perfect to EDC.  Every tool has it's place.
I keep my full size Sig 1911 at the bed side.  Even at the ranch and OWB, it's heavy.  Never carry it, I love shooting it.  Tames that .45 acp perfectly and I shoot it better than any other.  So at home, it's my go to.  

1911.thumb.JPG.0a759c670af8e5b08e83f11b1c0e3d85.JPG

What holster is that

3 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

What holster is that

Man, that's a good question.  Picked it up for the express ability to hang off a belt, high on the hip at the ranch and carry a spare mag as well.  Just checked and there's no name or manufacturer info on it.  I do remember it was not too expensive.  Got it for pig hunting at night with friends, so carry it high so you can run with it and have it not flop around.  

A little "tacti-cool", I admit.  Meant to attached to a webbing belt, but a normal leather pants belt.  

Man, that's a good question.  Picked it up for the express ability to hang off a belt, high on the hip at the ranch and carry a spare mag as well.  Just checked and there's no name or manufacturer info on it.  I do remember it was not too expensive.  Got it for pig hunting at night with friends, so carry it high so you can run with it and have it not flop around.  
A little "tacti-cool", I admit.  Meant to attached to a webbing belt, but a normal leather pants belt.  

I’ve got one similar made by elite Spanker lol. Bought off Amazon to handle a 19 with a light on a vest or belt.

Looks similar so I thought I’d ask.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

I'll skip the red dot optic part - I know guys here carry with those and trust them. 

I currently have one on my bedside FN509 Tactical but I’m really concerned that it takes me a couple seconds to find the dot when I bring it up. Of course it looks great but if it slows me down at all, it probably needs to go. Maybe I’ll put it on top of my Elcan. 

I currently have one on my bedside FN509 Tactical but I’m really concerned that it takes me a couple seconds to find the dot when I bring it up. Of course it looks great but if it slows me down at all, it probably needs to go. Maybe I’ll put it on top of my Elcan. 

Practice. Practice. Practice.

You need to head out to a tactical bay and put 1000 rounds down range in different scenarios. Then decide.

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Everyone deals with delays in target acquisition going from irons to a red dot.  As stated, practice your ass off.  Over time, it can actually be faster.  

Remember the old adage:  slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Dry fire practice.  On so many damn zoom calls where I have to "be" on the call, but have deliverables, I either have a pistol and snap caps or a kettlebell on hand to pass the time

"Oh, sorry, what.  I was on mute.  Can you please repeat the question...."

Isn't that what Jeffery Toobin said he was doing? Kettle bells?

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

1911.JPG

I have friends who are independent businessmen (farmers, contractors, etc.)  Unlike the rest of us, they don't have any work rules precluding weapons on the job.  I tell them regularly they should let their wangs hang out and just Open Carry already. Pancake holsters are SO much more comfortable, and you can carry a full-size weapon.  No size v capability debate.  If you like your CZ75, just carry it.  

North Dakota is ate up with (no CR) Conservatives, and ain't nobody gonna call the cops on you at Walmart.  Lucky SOB's for sure.  If I was one of them, I'd carry my XDm45.  

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looks like an old roofers hatchet?  Was he a carpenter?

No, he owned an auto repair garage in a little Missouri hick town (1924-58), but he could do carpentry work. He built a couple of small fishing boats, a cabin, and some outhouses back in the day. Most rural guys could do stuff like that.

He was trained by his dad to be a blacksmith when he was a kid.

230E115E-60A0-429B-8A54-17CA42D8B05E.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Got word today that the ATF finally approved my tax stamp. So of course I immediately called my FFL and they hadn’t received it yet. Integrally suppressed 300blk should be out of jail in the next 2-3 weeks based on a 2/11 approval date. 

damn, seems like that took a really long time. What was the turnaround?

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

damn, seems like that took a really long time. What was the turnaround?

Bought in may 2020. Check cashed 6/12. Approved 2/11. 

I was actually a month away from calling my congressman as I’ve been told they push things through very quickly when contacted. If I had any faith that I would get new suppressors at even 3-4 months I’d buy one for every gun.  Im not going thru this again when politics are involved. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Most gun control policies are racially-driven in some way, especially the prohibitions on carry and handguns. Modern gun control started when Reagan responded to the Black Panthers' occupation of the California state house.

If you want examples, Maryland has a license to purchase a handgun. To get the license, you have to go to a range and fire one - and only one - live round. There is no proficiency requirement. You can fire it into a bucket of sand (and often that's what you do). So why do you have to do that? I'll give you a hint - how many ranges are there in Baltimore? How accessible are they by public transportation? Can you carry a firearm on public transportation? Can you get a concealed carry permit in Maryland?

Interesting...wasn't aware of this.  I thought the modern gun control movement started after Sirhan Sirhan put a revolver to the back of Bobby Kennedy's head and pulled the trigger.  Very strange when reading about this incident to learn that California actually allowed open carry during my life time. 

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Bought in may 2020. Check cashed 6/12. Approved 2/11. 

I was actually a month away from calling my congressman as I’ve been told they push things through very quickly when contacted. If I had any faith that I would get new suppressors at even 3-4 months I’d buy one for every gun.  Im not going thru this again when politics are involved. 

I think I'm just going to file a form 1 and make a suppressor myself. obviously an integrated barrel is beyond my capability, so that wouldn't help you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I found a load my 300 win mag likes pretty well, this is a 5 shot group.

4e8f0670b797c7892e2596bf27d64e9b.jpg

This is my new project, Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. I want to shoot it subsonic with my Rugged suppressor, just waiting on the thread adaptor. I’d like to have it setup as a close range doe culling setup. I got one of the SIG BDX scopes that links to the sig binos I already have, fun to play with the elevation drop. The rifle needs some work. The magazine came apart multiple times at the range, I’ve gorilla glued it, so we’ll see if that holds. Not the most accurate either, so may need work there as well.

516b09a0e4ee38a69c0633fb0755051b.jpg

I come to you, surly gun owners, looking for advice. I'm completely clueless when it comes to firearms. My father died last month and has a gun safe with 40 or more guns in it. My question to y'all is what's the best way to go about selling these guns? I did a little bit of research and know that as a private seller in Texas, I don't really have to worry about a background check or the guns being registered or anything like that, but I'd rather not sell the guns to some random nutjob (same reason why I am always uncomfortable about buying/selling anything on craigslist, but I have done that before). Do y'all have a preferred site or avenue when you're looking to buy guns from private sellers?

I come to you, surly gun owners, looking for advice. I'm completely clueless when it comes to firearms. My father died last month and has a gun safe with 40 or more guns in it. My question to y'all is what's the best way to go about selling these guns? I did a little bit of research and know that as a private seller in Texas, I don't really have to worry about a background check or the guns being registered or anything like that, but I'd rather not sell the guns to some random nutjob (same reason why I am always uncomfortable about buying/selling anything on craigslist, but I have done that before). Do y'all have a preferred site or avenue when you're looking to buy guns from private sellers?

Post some pics if available and we can be of more assistance. Various avenues are available. You could take everything to a gun shop where you will get more of a wholesale price or sell them individually on forums like here where you might get a little better pricing. You could also have a FFL (Licensed gun Dealer) list them on gunbroker.com or elsewhere for you on consignment.

Doing a good inventory of make, model, and chambering with at least one photo would be worth your time. You can even have multiple guns per photo so it’s not so many photos.

6 minutes ago, 686 said:

Post some pics if available and we can be of more assistance. Various avenues are available. You could take everything to a gun shop where you will get more of a wholesale price or sell them individually on forums like here where you might get a little better pricing. You could also have a FFL (Licensed gun Dealer) list them on gunbroker.com or elsewhere for you on consignment.

Doing a good inventory of make, model, and chambering with at least one photo would be worth your time. You can even have multiple guns per photo so it’s not so many photos.

Thanks. I'll try to head down to SA soon and get some pictures of everything. Here's the list my mom was able to send me.

gun-list.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2