The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

39 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Thanks. I'll try to head down to SA soon and get some pictures of everything. Here's the list my mom was able to send me.

gun-list.jpg

They're all piss. I'll buy them all for $400 and be doing you a favor. DM asap and don't listen to anyone else's comments 

Edited by BayouBill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

He did know his stuff. He was actually the NRA Junior Rifle Champion for Sharpshooting one year in the 60s.

If you aren’t into shooting; you might see if you can find any ammo he might have had laying around. Ammo is in extreme demand right now, so selling that soon would potentially be a higher priority than those guns. Those are mostly classics that aren’t going to go down in value anytime soon; ammo prices may drop in another six months or so.

Condolences regarding your father. I wish I could have heard him tell some stories.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

He did know his stuff. He was actually the NRA Junior Rifle Champion for Sharpshooting one year in the 60s.

Nice.

I’d post here and on any other forums you participate in first.

Then I’d probably list on texasguntrader.com and use their bill of sale for anything you sell on there.

I’d also inventory the ammo and see what you have and, most likely, all of that will sell here in 24 hours.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I’d be interested in the Inland M1 carbine

I knew someone would beat me to it.

One thing I would suggest.  If you have any brothers/nephews that might be interested; someone may have an emotional attachment to them.  Some of my favorite arms, and some that I missed the most, were inherited.  

Check gunbroker etc for what the current market (which is kinda borked) is asking.  That way you can make sure the deal is done thru an FFL before it hits their hands.  

Condolences. 

Edited by fattyflattie

8 hours ago, 686 said:

I found a load my 300 win mag likes pretty well, this is a 5 shot group.

4e8f0670b797c7892e2596bf27d64e9b.jpg

This is my new project, Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. I want to shoot it subsonic with my Rugged suppressor, just waiting on the thread adaptor. I’d like to have it setup as a close range doe culling setup. I got one of the SIG BDX scopes that links to the sig binos I already have, fun to play with the elevation drop. The rifle needs some work. The magazine came apart multiple times at the range, I’ve gorilla glued it, so we’ll see if that holds. Not the most accurate either, so may need work there as well.

516b09a0e4ee38a69c0633fb0755051b.jpg

Every time I see that old custom 300, I get on one of the auction sites and spend money.  I know you won’t, but if you ever decide you hate it, PM me.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Found a 12 rd on gunbroker for $100. Found a pack of 3 10 rd for $150. Shits hurting my feelings. Lol

hkparts.net has 12 round H&K Mark 23 magazines for $79.95 ea.

https://hkparts.net/shop/pc/hk-pistol-parts-c15/mark-23-socom-c207/HK-Mark-23-Magazine-Parts-c434

I’ve got a Silencerco Osprey suppressor, it’s shape is pretty much the same as that of the pistol.  It’s not very hard to disassemble and clean.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/osprey/

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BayouBill said:

They're all piss. I'll buy them all for $400 and be doing you a favor. DM asap and don't listen to anyone else's comments 

16 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

I come to you, surly gun owners, looking for advice. I'm completely clueless when it comes to firearms. My father died last month and has a gun safe with 40 or more guns in it. My question to y'all is what's the best way to go about selling these guns? I did a little bit of research and know that as a private seller in Texas, I don't really have to worry about a background check or the guns being registered or anything like that, but I'd rather not sell the guns to some random nutjob (same reason why I am always uncomfortable about buying/selling anything on craigslist, but I have done that before). Do y'all have a preferred site or avenue when you're looking to buy guns from private sellers?

Don't listen to this guy. He's trying to rip you off and take advantage of a widow. Despicable. I can't believe people like this are allowed to walk the streets.

I'll buy them all for $500 and come pick them up, too. Just let me know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hkparts.net has 12 round H&K Mark 23 magazines for $79.95 ea.
https://hkparts.net/shop/pc/hk-pistol-parts-c15/mark-23-socom-c207/HK-Mark-23-Magazine-Parts-c434
I’ve got a Silencerco Osprey suppressor, it’s shape is pretty much the same as that of the pistol.  It’s not very hard to disassemble and clean.
https://silencerco.com/silencers/osprey/

Thanks for the heads up. They were out of stock the other day. I haven’t gotten an email saying they had them again and haven’t checked.

Thanks. I'll try to head down to SA soon and get some pictures of everything. Here's the list my mom was able to send me.

gun-list.thumb.jpg.2b80270b004d76d73f524494c06e5760.jpg
Condolences to you and your family. And I wish I got the chance to party with your old man before he passed.

Some of the estate auctioneers around here do dedicated gun auctions. The pool the collections of people like you into one big one (sometimes REAL big) and an auction. Might be an option
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I knew someone would beat me to it.

One thing I would suggest.  If you have any brothers/nephews that might be interested; someone may have an emotional attachment to them.  Some of my favorite arms, and some that I missed the most, were inherited.  

Check gunbroker etc for what the current market (which is kinda borked) is asking.  That way you can make sure the deal is done thru an FFL before it hits their hands.  

Condolences. 

Ditto on using Gunbroker as a resource. 
I’ve helped a number of people do valuations and GB is a great resource.

I will add this caveat. You need to use sales and not listings for information.

To see what the actual sales price is you have to register and then do a search on completed sales.  Even in the completed sales- they also show expired and unsold listings.  It can be confusing.

I tell folks to look only at completed sales with one or more bids, throw out the highest / lowest and then look for the mean or average price of the rest.

You’ll find that there are 1000’s of listings that are “I don’t want to sell it but if you give me $X it’s yours” prices.  These expire and relist over and over, but aren’t prices you can expect because no one pays it. 

I’ve seen people confused because their gun only sold for $2000, but they saw listings for $3500 and thought that was the market.

Bottom line is that it takes more than a cursory glance to sift down to the real numbers...... but it’s not that hard to do. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 2

Damn, hornfan...that’s a helluva list. And yeah, your old man knew his stuff. So sorry you lost him.

I’m 100% sure you can unload any and all ammo right here in this group (I desperately need 30/06, for example).

And as for the guns themselves....you can probably sell many of them to this group as well. I’ve sold a gun on here before. We shopped around, found what looked to be the fair market price, and done deal.

That carbine and 1911....talk to me....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn, hornfan...that’s a helluva list. And yeah, your old man knew his stuff. So sorry you lost him.

I’m 100% sure you can unload any and all ammo right here in this group (I desperately need 30/06, for example).

And as for the guns themselves....you can probably sell many of them to this group as well. I’ve sold a gun on here before. We shopped around, found what looked to be the fair market price, and done deal.

That carbine and 1911....talk to me....

Maybe a Surly First Right of Refusal?

CHIEF

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Maybe a Surly First Right of Refusal?

CHIEF

Hell, don't want to give him ideas, but he could probably put it out there for a fair market price....and then make more when we all get into a bidding war.

In all seriousness, we all know that the proceeds of any sale go to your mom, so I'll be damned if anyone around her tries to lowball and screw over mom.  That shit don't fly.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, don't want to give him ideas, but he could probably put it out there for a fair market price....and then make more when we all get into a bidding war.

In all seriousness, we all know that the proceeds of any sale go to your mom, so I'll be damned if anyone around her tries to lowball and screw over mom.  That shit don't fly.

Amen. We should not expect to pay under market, and need to do due diligence on anything of interest, and show our work. That would shift the burden of proof off of hornfan and onto the interested party.

CHIEF 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Amen. We should not expect to pay under market, and need to do due diligence on anything of interest, and show our work. That would shift the burden of proof off of hornfan and onto the interested party.

CHIEF 

Also, in a completely unrelated turn of events, I just found out that the going rate for a Colt Model 1911 is $100.  I have the cash on hand today, hornfan.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, hornfan785 said:

gun-list.jpg

Strong interest in the Beretta 92FS and the Springfield 1911 Range Officer.  In Austin and have CHL.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, fattyflattie said:

An investment you can consider making is buying a Blue Book of Gun Values. That will give you an idea of the value of the firearms you have. There are some nice guns, but nothing over the top valuable from what I saw skimming the list. Since you don't seem to want to fool with selling the gun individually, you can find an estate dealer who will buy them and then sell them, insulating you from any crazies and any headaches. It just won't be as much money. But you can review gunbroker and BB for values to inform the deal you make with the estate seller.

Edited by BHMCruiser

17 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

An investment you can consider making is buying a Blue Book of Gun Values. That will give you an idea of the value of the firearms you have. There are some nice guns, but nothing over the top valuable from what I saw skimming the list. Since you don't seem to want to fool with selling the gun individually, you can find an estate dealer who will buy them and then sell them, insulating you from any crazies and any headaches. It just won't be as much money. But you can review gunbroker and BB for values to inform the deal you make with the estate seller.

I think this was meant for @hornfan785  I don’t think I’ve sold a gun in my life.  Once I decide I want it, I’m in it for the long haul.  As I noted in my original post, there was some nice guns in there but the only one that tugged at me was the 30 carbine. One of my favorite rifles and what I learned to shoot with as a kid. I need to add one to the collection that isn’t inherited. 

• Like 1

Yes, 100 yards indoors. Full disclosure, This is a precision gun, not a lightweight rig, so

ecb66b2cd1cd5be13c9e0668ac12c1a0.jpg

I fucking hate Tapatalk sometimes. it cut off my text and won’t let me edit. The rest of that post is supposed to to say : “...so 0.5 MOA should be expected. My eyes aren’t good anymore, but i think some better glass will tighten up my groups. I’m thinking a Nightforce NX8 4-32.

11 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Except the Blue Book values are typically out of date before it goes to the printer.  Sold items on Gunbroker are a better gauge, especially nowadays.  Went to the gun show in Kerrville on Saturday, and prices are up roughly 100% since a year ago.  Junker Winchester Mod 12 with cut 19” barrel for $500, anyone?  How about a 3rd Generation Glock 26 for $795 and no dealing?  New world out there, but it seemed like a lot more looking than buying, perhaps more action in the parking lot......

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Except the Blue Book values are typically out of date before it goes to the printer.  Sold items on Gunbroker are a better gauge, especially nowadays.  Went to the gun show in Kerrville on Saturday, and prices are up roughly 100% since a year ago.  Junker Winchester Mod 12 with cut 19” barrel for $500, anyone?  How about a 3rd Generation Glock 26 for $795 and no dealing?  New world out there, but it seemed like a lot more looking than buying, perhaps more action in the parking lot......

That’s why I said do both. That way you have a baseline and can capture the curve of what’s going on now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, 686 said:

Yes, 100 yards indoors. Full disclosure, This is a precision gun, not a lightweight rig, so

ecb66b2cd1cd5be13c9e0668ac12c1a0.jpg

A .300 mag...indoors....with a muzzle break.

I'm sure everyone around you had a peachy time.  You have to double up your ear pro?  

746265789artillery-cannon-animated-gif-1

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

My ears are ringing from here.

Yeah I run it with a Sig suppressor, that’s an old pic. I got a silicone suppressor cover that also seems to help, I really like it. Here’s a screen shot from a slo mo vid one of my kids took.

9d65ecbd3472bac1bc0bb7a54bbc6617.jpg

I'm sure everyone around you had a peachy time.  You have to double up your ear pro?  
746265789artillery-cannon-animated-gif-10.gif

The guys next to me and the range officer were like “oh shit...” when I got the gun out of the bag without the suppressor; there was an audible sigh of relief when I put the can on (it’s a quick-disconnect style). But I do plan on plugs and muffs at indoor ranges just in case I’m next to a guy with a big brake pointed right at me.

2 minutes ago, 686 said:

The guys next to me and the range officer were like “oh shit...” when I got the gun out of the bag without the suppressor; there was an audible sigh of relief when I put the can on (it’s a quick-disconnect style). But I do plan on plugs and muffs at indoor ranges just in case I’m next to a guy with a big brake pointed right at me.

Yeah, without a can can be painful for those on either side, even with a barrier.  Beautiful gun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

746265789artillery-cannon-animated-gif-1

Went to an outdoor range with my uncle that shoots a .300mag with a muzzle brake. It was the only gun that set off car alarms that day.

CHIEF

• Haha 1