The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, without a can can be painful for those on either side, even with a barrier.  Beautiful gun!

Probably mid-80's I'm guessing was my 1st experience around a brake...someone touched off a .300 Weatherby they had taken to Kleinguenther and everyone was looking around like WTF.  I think my 1st thought was that someone had just blown themselves up with a hand load.

• Haha 1

Long story, but back in the 80's I acquired an 1100 LT-20 that's new in the box, but had a busted stock and cracked forend.  It's been in the back of my safe forever.  I still have the forend but the stock is long gone.  I just dug it out while reorganizing and started down a rabbit hole thinking I'll fix it.

The googlemachine keeps pointing me toward synthetic replacements.  I really don't want to put plastic on an early 80's 1100.  

Any of you shotgun fanatics have a source for quality replacement stocks?

23 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Long story, but back in the 80's I acquired an 1100 LT-20 that's new in the box, but had a busted stock and cracked forend.  It's been in the back of my safe forever.  I still have the forend but the stock is long gone.  I just dug it out while reorganizing and started down a rabbit hole thinking I'll fix it.

The googlemachine keeps pointing me toward synthetic replacements.  I really don't want to put plastic on an early 80's 1100.  

Any of you shotgun fanatics have a source for quality replacement stocks?

The auction sites have a bunch.  It’s where I buy a bunch of really really nice takeoffs. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, Reagan1k said:

Probably mid-80's I'm guessing was my 1st experience around a brake...someone touched off a .300 Weatherby they had taken to Kleinguenther and everyone was looking around like WTF.  I think my 1st thought was that someone had just blown themselves up with a hand load.

My favorite was this old fart rolled up with a giant case, broke out his replica Quigly Down Under 45-90 rig, and started sending 500+grains of pure awesomeness down range.  

He was near enough that the "thump" and giant cloud of smoke was apparent.  He'd open the breach and you could look down the back like he was loading artillery rounds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, BabaYaga said:

A .300 mag...indoors....with a muzzle break.

I'm sure everyone around you had a peachy time.  You have to double up your ear pro?  

746265789artillery-cannon-animated-gif-1

When I go to an indoor range, it's mostly to do sight-in and ranging/holdover/scope work on an airgun.  So I am concentrating pretty hard and trying not to cause many fliers.

I'm a special case, but the artillery really wrecks my day.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I’m in the same boat. I have a 20ga wingmaster we cut down for kiddos. Trying to find a wood stain match has been tough sledding. eBay will have one every once in a while but they want a shit ton.  

Yeah - I thought eBay would be a quick solution but the few fitting pieces I saw were astronomically priced.

• Hook 'Em 1

After being told there was a 5 to 6 month wait this showed up on Tuesday after just two months.
20210304_192440.thumb.jpg.41215d486fbf30d5f968538e8f266cb2.jpg

Laure Tactical AR15 Ultimate Upper Kit with an 18" barrel, stripped lower billet, and the lower kit. Can't wait to get this put together.

They posted a bunch of videos on IG with flats and flats of builds. You lucky sunnuvabitch!

Apparently they hit it hard and completed a ton of their back order builds.

@Speedtrucker  That's awesome.  Can't wait to see it all together.  Two months isn't bad at all considering the times.  Congrats on getting a nice surprise.

I got a little buyer's fever during an auction in PA.  I guess you could call them bucket guns, but my wife says my bucket is too big and should they should really be called storage tank guns.

Got a Rem 600 / Mohawk in .308, a Winchester 1905 in .35win and a 10/22 in .22mag.

Should have them in the coming week and will put some pictures up. 

It's interesting that the hardest one to find is that 10/22 Mag.  They just didn't make that many and for some reason are rare to see for sale.  Gun has a reputation for problems, but if problems are a qualifier, I'd have been put on the scrap heap years ago myself.  Just need to add the .44 carbine now, but lord those prices have gotten lofty.

I'd like to pick up another 10/22 Mag if anyone sees one that's on the market.

Suggestions/considerations for 1st AR purchase?  

Budget is $1000 new or used.   

Mainly farm/ranch shooting, ranges etc. 

Don’t know enough the about ammo differences to say one or the other is preferable. 

Of course it should look awesome  

Would eventually like to add suppressor. Will probably want to modify or customize down the line.

Brands, models, current deals?

BIL has this  

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith-wesson-m-p10-sport-308-winchester-762-nato-semiautomatic-rifle#repChildCatid=5963507

TIA

Edited by ChickenSandwich

AR-10 adds a lot of weight due to the longer action.  Just keep that in mind.... those are your .308, 6.5 Creedmoor etc. 

One idea would be to get a PSA lower and upper set in AR-15 and standard 5.56.  Then you could add uppers in .300bo and 6.5. Grendel later and have 3 guns in one.  

1000 ways to skin that cat-  just one solution 

Edited by Reagan1k
typo

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Ar-10s are proprietary too correct me if I’m wrong. Nothing really interchanges between brands.

By and large, you are correct.  Being non milspec, mixing and matching AR-10 uppers and lowers from different mfgs is a crap shoot.  even some generations of components within the same mfg family can be problematic.

Suggestions/considerations for 1st AR purchase?  
Budget is $1000 new or used.   
Mainly farm/ranch shooting, ranges etc. 
Don’t know enough the about ammo differences to say one or the other is preferable. 
Of course it should look awesome  
Would eventually like to add suppressor. Will probably want to modify or customize down the line.
Brands, models, current deals?
BIL has this  
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith-wesson-m-p10-sport-308-winchester-762-nato-semiautomatic-rifle#repChildCatid=5963507
TIA

I’d do 300BO.

You can get something nice for $1000.

Ammo sucks right now but it’s getting better. I saw 9mm blazer brass on the shelves at academy Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hey guys, here's a link to a spreadsheet of the ammo my dad still had when he passed. I just finished putting it together but still need to go through and see what I should price everything at. I just wanted to share it with y'all so you can take a look and just see if there's anything there you might be interested in. I haven't put together the list of guns yet, but I did go down and take pictures of everything and will be putting that together once I'm done dealing with the ammo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A0LNH63m6B5lq7H12fFra7_av9k8ms_dl5XopdNhfQc/edit?usp=sharing

Hey guys, here's a link to a spreadsheet of the ammo my dad still had when he passed. I just finished putting it together but still need to go through and see what I should price everything at. I just wanted to share it with y'all so you can take a look and just see if there's anything there you might be interested in. I haven't put together the list of guns yet, but I did go down and take pictures of everything and will be putting that together once I'm done dealing with the ammo.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A0LNH63m6B5lq7H12fFra7_av9k8ms_dl5XopdNhfQc/edit?usp=sharing

Nice.

I really need some 30/06, and the .308 Win. I’ll pay market price, as would anyone else around here. You’ll have some eager takers on the .45, .223, and .22 lr.

Are you in austin? If so I’ll take any 9mm at retail. If not in austin anyone closer can come get it.

It looked like 8 boxes plus the 25 rounds of hornady.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, hornfan785 said:

Thanks. I'll try to head down to SA soon and get some pictures of everything. Here's the list my mom was able to send me.

gun-list.jpg

I'd be interested in the Pietta 1860 Navy revolver. Possibly the Traditions flintlock, but that o e probably isn't worth as much to me as it would be to someone else. Neither one of those are legally firearms, FYI, so you can actually just mail them through UPS or whatever if you sell them. And you don't generally have to worry about someone who is buying black powder guns being shady.

4 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Interested in the .22 stuff, like I'm sure everyone else is.   

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I finally got 308. Federal premium 168 grain whatever the fuck i don't ever shoot. 80 rounds...$220 shipped. Stupid. There should he a discount for non hoarders that just want to shoot some food for thier family. 

Where were you able to find it?  I signed up for Midway notifications about 4-5 weeks ago and haven't gotten a single one.   Just for simple stuff.  .22 for the kids, some .243 so I can change the glass and actually shoot it in.   Frustrating.  

14 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

I'd be very interested in the .45 Colt if it isn't spoken for. 

14 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

oh and .22LR, too. 

Here's the 1905 Winchester (.35 WSL) and 10/22 I picked up at auction.  The 10/22 is unusual in that it is a .22Mag and is unfired (has a small handling or storage scuff on the stock - otherwise pristine).  They were only made for 8 years and this one is from the 1st full production year.  I wish the 1905 had the original rear sight on it, but the aperture sight is still period correct.

New1a.thumb.jpg.296f9ec4bcd4bd434fc018db44888aa2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Here's the 1905 Winchester (.35 WSL) and 10/22 I picked up at auction.  The 10/22 is unusual in that it is a .22Mag and is unfired (has a small handling or storage scuff on the stock - otherwise pristine).  They were only made for 8 years and this one is from the 1st full production year.  I wish the 1905 had the original rear sight on it, but the aperture sight is still period correct.

New1a.thumb.jpg.296f9ec4bcd4bd434fc018db44888aa2.jpg

I have one of those 1905's. First real gun I and a good bit of my extended family ever shot. Rabbit and squirrel killing machine.