The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Nobody in history has ever gone out and used a pistol brace "as they were designed", unless they were posting a video on youtube.  They are an SBR loophole. Ban the damn braces if you want.  I already have my SBRs.

Fuck that. SBRs shouldn’t be restricted and people shouldn’t have to be working around them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Now that I have this put together I need to get accessories.  I need some advice on optics.

For popup sights I was looking at these from Tacticon sights.

Would you guys recommend a red dot or scope?

Red dot here.  https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-hws-512 on a LaRue mount with a magnifier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Fuck that. SBRs shouldn’t be restricted and people shouldn’t have to be working around them.

It's an antiquated ruling going back decades.  It's a pointless rule that serves no purpose.  Think it was an old prohibition-era carry over?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Nobody in history has ever gone out and used a pistol brace "as they were designed", unless they were posting a video on youtube.  They are an SBR loophole. Ban the damn braces if you want.  I already have my SBRs.

Technically not a loophole. A loophole was a thin slotted window that was larger in the interior than the exterior to allow archers to fire their arrows with a wide field of fire while presenting as small a target as possible. Loopholes are therefore intentional. Using a braced pistol as an SBR is a workaround, as it was not intentional. The gunshow loophole is an example of an actual loophole, as private face to face transactions were intentionally exempted from the FFL requirements as a compromise in order to pass legislation. Of course, when gun control advocates say "gunshow loophole" they are actually trying to imply that it was not intentional, which is just poor use of the english language.

It's an antiquated ruling going back decades.  It's a pointless rule that serves no purpose.  Think it was an old prohibition-era carry over?
yeah all of the NFA stuff is from that. And pointless.
The proper nomenclature is "gun safety measures" or "sensible gun safety measures."

Either way, it’s something a dumbass says.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone handled/owned a polymer80 full “glock19” PFC9
Or a shadow systems MR920?

Been thinking about a non-glock that takes glock mags but with a 1911 grip angle like the PFC9 or MR920...

MR920 is an awesome pistol. Ive been eyeing them lately. All the guys that have them love them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Technically not a loophole. A loophole was a thin slotted window that was larger in the interior than the exterior to allow archers to fire their arrows with a wide field of fire while presenting as small a target as possible. Loopholes are therefore intentional. Using a braced pistol as an SBR is a workaround, as it was not intentional. The gunshow loophole is an example of an actual loophole, as private face to face transactions were intentionally exempted from the FFL requirements as a compromise in order to pass legislation. Of course, when gun control advocates say "gunshow loophole" they are actually trying to imply that it was not intentional, which is just poor use of the english language.

A lot like how "gun control" really being people control is a poor use of the english language?

Like that?

So is there really a "gun control advocate" in the first place?

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

99% of FTF transactions don’t happen at gun shows. Why is it called “gun show” loophole?

Because "gun show" evokes an image, an emotion.

Facts only matter when it supports their feelings, but they will continue to pretend to be all about "facts".

It's what they serve at the buffet and they do it very well because there are legions of useful idiots bellying up and asking for thirds.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Because "gun show" evokes an image, an emotion.

Correct-  and the term loophole implies some intent to intentionally skirt a law or regulation.

tax loophole sounds worse than tax deduction, etc. 

Word matter to both sides when it comes to currying favor with those voters that don’t know the facts in any debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I’m in the market for a gun safe and a friend of mine who is the locksmith business said to stay away from Cannon or anything from Tractor Supply, Sam’s etc.

I was told to look at these two:

https://residential.amsecusa.com/residential-gun-safes/

https://www.gardall.com/view-product/fire-lined-gun-safes

The first link would be my choice of the two if the budget is substantial. Their safe shell construction is different and interesting.

The second link looks about like the midrange.  Better than what’s offered at most big box stores.

You could also consider this brand if $$ is no object:

http://www.graffundersafes.com

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm pretty sure that's why they (military) felt ok w/the transaction.

On the other hand I would love to be a fly on the wall at AmmoSeek HQ when they read the email from the pissed off guy who demands to know why he can't buy 50K rounds of depleted uranium 20 mike mike on their site.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn’t we relearn this last spring when 8mil new gun owners jumped on board and there was tons of talk about how they ranged from confusion on why they couldn’t just buy their gun and take it home right away, why they had to do a 4473, why they couldn’t get an actual assault rifle... I seem to remember talk about gun shows throwing added confusion to the uninformed.

It’s not just what you say it’s how you say it.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:51 PM, midtown said:

My son and I got out to my buddies ranch today to hit some clays. First use for both of our new shotguns

PXL_20210327_183335370.thumb.jpg.4e227ea95603c37b7fa8ff879862d383.jpg

Very nice. Left one looks like a Beretta but I’m not placing the right one. Edit: I think right one looks like a Browning by the stock. 

Edited by TexasEd

11 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Very nice. Left one looks like a Beretta but I’m not placing the right one. Edit: I think right one looks like a Browning by the stock.

The left is my sons.  It's the Academy brand.  Yildis.  Mine in in the middle.  It's a Weatherby Orion.   

29 minutes ago, midtown said:

The left is my sons.  It's the Academy brand.  Yildis.  Mine in in the middle.  It's a Weatherby Orion.   

Al has the Yildiz on the left in 20 gauge, the shell extractors push out the spent shells almost as far as my SKS, will put a sting on your if your not careful.  Is this normal?

I got mine 10 years ago and was able to pick from the 5-6 they had at the time, I was looking a the grain/finish, got the pick of the litter and on sale.

One phenomena that happens when you buy a gun safe is that all the family guns from all the attics/sock drawers wind up in your safe every time someone moves/dies.  If the extended family has cool shit - that's okay.  But my extended family apparently shopped the bargain rack.   

Just climbed down from the attic where I installed gun hooks on the 2/4s and hung: 

Savage 99 in 300 Savage

Remington 760 in 30-06 

Stevens 20ga SxS

Ithaca 37 in 16ga  

My gun safe is as big around as a refrigerator and it's jam full of my scoped hunting rifles and various other "family guns".  

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

One phenomena that happens when you buy a gun safe is that all the family guns from all the attics/sock drawers wind up in your safe every time someone moves/dies.  If the extended family has cool shit - that's okay.  But my extended family apparently shopped the bargain rack.   

Just climbed down from the attic where I installed gun hooks on the 2/4s and hung: 

Savage 99 in 300 Savage

Remington 760 in 30-06 

Stevens 20ga SxS

Ithaca 37 in 16ga  

My gun safe is as big around as a refrigerator and it's jam full of my scoped hunting rifles and various other "family guns".  

Watch those attic temps, they can crack a wood stock or warp a plastic one if the temp gets high enough.

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Savage 99 in 300 Savage

Remington 760 in 30-06 

Stevens 20ga SxS

Ithaca 37 in 16ga  

Time to get an additional safe.

• Like 1

Just went by an Academy - bought some more gun socks (great space & finish savers) - and noticed a new Ruger Max-9 in the display case. Clerk said they had six of them in the safe. $499.99 each. (That’s the MSRP)

very tempting.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2021 at 4:06 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Mine is a Winchester I bought at Costco for around $600 10+ years ago.  It works fine.  Not sure how many long guns it is rated for, but it is a tight fit since I have a lot of long guns and most have glass.  I am about to buy another and put it in my garage, which is climate controlled.

My overflow is in two of these rifle lockers (found pic on web), which you attach to your studs with lag bolts.  It's pretty damn secure because you can't reach the lag bolts while it is locked.  I keep my less sentimental/valuable pieces in it.  Someone would need to pack a lunch and have the right tools to walk off with those guns.

spacer.png

I think I paid around $75 each for this rifle locker on Sportsman's guide.  Pretty good option if you don't have the cash or the space for a safe.  Definitely just as kid proof as a safe.  

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nahc-pistol-and-rifle-locker?a=439000

I dunno, I'm pretty sure when they were younger my kids would have figured out a way to tear those guns up and ruin the finish and plug the barrels in no time. 

After weeks of waiting, my 10.5" upper was finally delivered. Just waiting for my tax stamp to pair with my larue lower. 
PXL_20210329_190602290.thumb.jpg.e81af614592006a0f14c72f646e5d774.jpg

Do you have any other SBRs or AR pistols (don’t answer this)?

Having a short barreled upper and neither of the above, and posting about it online might be construed as constructive intent by overzealous 3 letter types. I was advised once not to store a short barrel uppers around regular AR rifles for that reason and to build up every lower as a pistol the first time mated to an upper.

Your guidance may be something else but just passing along what I was told.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, davidg said:

Do you have any other SBRs or AR pistols (don’t answer this)?

Having a short barreled upper and neither of the above, and posting about it online might be construed as constructive intent by overzealous 3 letter types. I was advised once not to store a short barrel uppers around regular AR rifles for that reason and to build up every lower as a pistol the first time mated to an upper.

Your guidance may be something else but just passing along what I was told.

I appreciate the advice and I've already stored this upper at my parent's house until I get the go ahead to put everything together. That's what my brother told me to do when I started this process.

• Hook 'Em 1