The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yes, you should build lowers as pistols because then you have flexibility.

Once you register it as an SBR, it’s an SBR though correct?

On a related note, I found the suppressor I was wanting for my Mark 23. Just gotta get with my FFL and send his info and a check.
  • Like 1

Once you register it as an SBR, it’s an SBR though correct?

On a related note, I found the suppressor I was wanting for my Mark 23. Just gotta get with my FFL and send his info and a check.

Yes, as I understand it.

Buy a pistol lower and you can always have it set up as a pistol. However, you can also put a rifle stock on it mated with 16” barrel and it will be fine. Mating under a 16” barrel (forget about the 13.5 right now) with a rifle stock requires sbr’ing it.

If you buy an ar 15 rifle it’s always a rifle.
If you buy an ar 15 pistol it can be either.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Yes, as I understand it.

Buy a pistol lower and you can always have it set up as a pistol. However, you can also put a rifle stock on it mated with 16” barrel and it will be fine. Mating under a 16” barrel (forget about the 13.5 right now) with a rifle stock requires sbr’ing it.

If you buy an ar 15 rifle it’s always a rifle.
If you buy an ar 15 pistol it can be either.

If you buy a stripped lower, it usually doesn't have a defined rifle or pistol designation.   When you build up the lower, go ahead and build/assemble it as a pistol first and mate with a pistol upper (I like to make a time stamped pic to document) and then rebuild as a rifle if you want.   This way you can always take it back to a pistol.   

• Like 2

Was doing some work on my GF’s mom’s house. She’s been widowed for several years. Somehow guns were discussed, and she disappeared into a back room. Came out with a little Rossi .38 that her husband bought her; she thinks sometime around 1970. She said he took her to the range 1 time, and it’s been in the closet since then.

Anyway, she told me that she doesn’t want it, and told me to take it home. I don’t know anything about Rossi, but it looks pretty well built and it’s it good condition. 87a0f7d1f6be539f70732c869a1b74d7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Was doing some work on my GF’s mom’s house. She’s been widowed for several years. Somehow guns were discussed, and she disappeared into a back room. Came out with a little Rossi .38 that her husband bought her; she thinks sometime around 1970. She said he took her to the range 1 time, and it’s been in the closet since then.

Anyway, she told me that she doesn’t want it, and told me to take it home. I don’t know anything about Rossi, but it looks pretty well built and it’s it good condition. 87a0f7d1f6be539f70732c869a1b74d7.jpg

Free pistols are like free beer.  Take it and be happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Anyone else have their tax stamp for a fully auto weapon? 

I know a father/son duo who have numerous.  They were out in front of the market before and shortly after 86'. 

What they have is now worth a fortune in the collector's market. 

I don't think they've bought anything other than SBRs and suppressors in many years.

Back when we lived in the same town, I always told them my SHTF strategy was to have just enough firepower to fight my way to their houses.

7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I know a father/son duo who have numerous.  They were out in front of the market before and shortly after 86'. 

What they have is now worth a fortune in the collector's market. 

I don't think they've bought anything other than SBRs and suppressors in many years.

Back when we lived in the same town, I always told them my SHTF strategy was to have just enough firepower to fight my way to their houses.

Same situation prompted my question. Had a friend of the nephews that brought two out to the ranch. 

When I asked how big was the hassle to get the stamp he showed me what he had to do, which is pretty much the same gymnastics as purchasing a suppressor.

The difference is what you pointed out....the cost. I was told $8500 for a stamped steel MAC11 (which we shot). And a M16-A4.....ready for this....$25k.

So at the end of the day it ain’t whether or not I can legally buy it, it is the fact I simply can’t afford it. Even if I had $25k laying around there are other things needed at Scooters place.

I was just curious if others had taken such a financial leap just to have one at the house. 

Correct - If you can get a stamp for a suppressor or SBR you can go get something with a fun-switch if your budget allows.

The father had been acquiring in the 70's and then the son started in the 80's in this case.  Basically it was a high end hobby that turned into a profitable investment.

You can follow current prices at places like Rock Island Auctions or on LiveAuctioneers.com.

Domestic stuff is always in the high teens for things like Cobrays and into the $20's for M16's.

What is even more expensive is the foreign made stuff like H&K or communist stuff because those imports stopped before domestic production was banned and are more rare.

There is a ton of NFA stuff coming up for sale at Rock Island on May 15th. 

For instance, starting bid for a Heckler & Koch/Vollmer/Fleming G3/HK21 Machine Gun is $22.5k and will probably go for close to twice that.

17 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hoped so, but we’ve got dog killers on this board, so...

Wild dogs are as bad, if not worse than coyotes on ranchers as they have no aversion to urban areas.  Almost every rancher has a standing kill on site orders if they start to pack up and cause damages.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Same situation prompted my question. Had a friend of the nephews that brought two out to the ranch. 

When I asked how big was the hassle to get the stamp he showed me what he had to do, which is pretty much the same gymnastics as purchasing a suppressor.

The difference is what you pointed out....the cost. I was told $8500 for a stamped steel MAC11 (which we shot). And a M16-A4.....ready for this....$25k.

So at the end of the day it ain’t whether or not I can legally buy it, it is the fact I simply can’t afford it. Even if I had $25k laying around there are other things needed at Scooters place.

I was just curious if others had taken such a financial leap just to have one at the house. 

Full auto is for the most part silly.  Not the greatest of choices, but in an open area, and one guy has a semi and one full auto, I'd take my chances with the full auto guy.  After that first shot or two, can't hit shit with them except as laughably close range.

Belt-fed weapons are another story, as are SMG's...but in a rifle you shoulder, FA is just a waste of ammo.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Full auto is for the most part silly.  Not the greatest of choices, but in an open area, and one guy has a semi and one full auto, I'd take my chances with the full auto guy.  After that first shot or two, can't hit shit with them except as laughably close range.

Dear diary - Today someone was talking about practicality and used logic while discussing guns on the Surl gun thread.  I feel confused and conflicted.  I want to agree with him, but my fingers won't let me.  I think I'll take a nap and see if these emotions pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Wild dogs are as bad, if not worse than coyotes on ranchers as they have no aversion to urban areas.  Almost every rancher has a standing kill on site orders if they start to pack up and cause damages.  

Totally agree, but anecdotally coyotes don’t have much aversion to urban areas either. And most of the ranchers I know keep pig dogs around, so they manage the wild dogs. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Belt-fed weapons are another story, as are SMG's...but in a rifle you shoulder, FA is just a waste of ammo.

Fun tho. 🤷

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

Neg rep to all you guys can't talk full auto firearms without post this.  Also,  I would make a trip to one of these shoots to look, talk and consider before buying a Cl 3 weapon.

I’ve got a buddy that’s been to Knob Creek a few times. I’d like to go myself. There are places you can rent them and shoot them.

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

SSS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, a realtor buddy just called me from his vacation.   He asked a favor:  he just got a listing on a foreclosure from one of his banker buddies, and, being out of town, he asked me to go meet the locksmith and collect the keys.   

He's a good guy, and it's close-by, so I agreed.   Well, the house was completely vacant, but I noticed something on the top shelf of a closet (I'm pretty tall).  AMMO BOXES FUCK YEAH!!!  OH SHIT, THERE ARE ABOUT 10 BOXES HERE!!!

Oh shit, it's "38 Super".   WTF is 38 super?  Never heard of it.  Looks kinda 9mm to me.  Anybody shoot this shit?

So, a realtor buddy just called me from his vacation.   He asked a favor:  he just got a listing on a foreclosure from one of his banker buddies, and, being out of town, he asked me to go meet the locksmith and collect the keys.   
He's a good guy, and it's close-by, so I agreed.   Well, the house was completely vacant, but I noticed something on the top shelf of a closet (I'm pretty tall).  AMMO BOXES FUCK YEAH!!!  OH SHIT, THERE ARE ABOUT 10 BOXES HERE!!!
Oh shit, it's "38 Super".   WTF is 38 super?  Never heard of it.  Looks kinda 9mm to me.  Anybody shoot this shit?

You can find a nice 1911 that runs that.

11 minutes ago, davidg said:

38 Super is to 9mm as 10mm is to 40S&W*

Lots of IPSC shooters run 38 Super guns to meet major power factor requirements.

*Not 100% accurate statement but close enough.

Pretty damn accurate I’d say- with the one difference being that the 9mm predated the .38 super in contrast to the 10mm and the .40’s birth order. 

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Wish I could retrieve the prewar “bring back” FN-made  BAR DEWAT we donated to the Texas Military Museum at Camp Mabry over10 years ago. They have never put it on display, and it has just sat in their vault ever since.

It looked just like this one:

3D5B2B8B-BE2E-4BE2-9E9F-A1ED56D2905A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/4/2021 at 12:25 PM, Gil Bang said:

Rossi has a rep for poor quality control, but that doesn't mean your revolver is a bad gun. Unload and cock the hammer and let it down until all of the chambers cycle through. Check the lock up of the cylinder for each chamber and make sure that the bolt holds it in battery. If all that timing checks out it should be good to go. It's 150 year old technology, but it still requires a good deal of precision to make all the parts work together well. I have a Rossi .44 mag snubbie that looks a lot like that, and the only issue it has really is that it likes to rust easily. Just keep it clean and oiled and it should be good to go.

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Wish I could retrieve the prewar “bring back” FN-made  BAR DEWAT we donated to the Texas Military Museum at Camp Mabry over10 years ago. They have never put it on display, and it has just sat in their vault ever since.

It looked just like this one:

3D5B2B8B-BE2E-4BE2-9E9F-A1ED56D2905A.jpeg

That would drive me up the wall.  Do you have any recourse?  Could you make a monetary donation as a good faith gesture and take it back?

I've heard that's an all too common outcome on donated items.  Most places have far more stuff than space.

I'm not sure I could let that go without a fight.

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

38 super is mega popular on the shooting circuits.  Ballistic equivalent of a .357 fired from a 1911 platform (generally).  Can easily sell online and it will be gobbled up quick