The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Pretty damn accurate I’d say- with the one difference being that the 9mm predated the .38 super in contrast to the 10mm and the .40’s birth order. 

Performance wise, yes.  Construction wise the 40's parent case is the 10mm, and is just shortened with all other dimensions the same.  The 38Super has the 38ACP as the parent case and the 9mm uses the 7.65x21 as a parent case.  You  could trim 10mm case down to make 40 if you needed but you cant make 9 from a 38S or vice versa. 

/pendanticfirearmtalk

• Hook 'Em 1

1911is arguably the smoothest pistol platform you can buy.  Event requirements on power preclude many 9mm options, and the width of .45acp makes for capacity issues.  Enter the .38 super.  Double-stack 1911 mags give you the capacity of the 9mm, and the power to run with the .45acp crowd.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, heinhorn said:

Anyone have recs for 1-6x24 optic for an AR?  Will be using it on hogs, target shooting, etc.  7.62x39 AR. Would like to spend less than $500.  The Vortex Strike Eagle seems like a good buy at $299.  Thanks for any suggetions.

I've heard that the Primary Arms 1-6 is better yet cheaper than the Vortex Strike Eagle. YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Got this for $300 on gunbroker. Whiskey and gun eBay are dangerous. 

Ar 12 

Radikal MKX-3

51102806137_94b454b93a_b.jpg51102942233_3b9882513f_b.jpg51102704751_8728ef98a8_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Fuck it, I’d bought it too. Well done.

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

I've heard that the Primary Arms 1-6 is better yet cheaper than the Vortex Strike Eagle. YMMV

Not cheaper but I’d say just as good if not slightly better. But a nod to PA for having more versions like the 300blk/7.62x39 bdc version etc and the 7.62x39 lpvo from them is first focal plane.

I have a 1-8 strike eagle and I’ve found that the 8x has a really narrow short eye relief/box vs any other magnification. But that’s on my ar10 pistol

On 12/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, Gatorubet said:

lol. He is not going to waste political capital on a ban he can’t get with congressional support. He’s gonna need every vote in every issue to clean up some of Trump’s poison pill, and pissing off the right on an issue that is not as important is not happening.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

And it's all going to be executive orders because "this crisis can't wait for congress to act!"

barf

Careful, Joe! You're going to waste political capital!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-gun-control-executive-actions-violence-epidemic/

842518041_ScreenShot2021-04-09at05_18_24.png.c61665114375d7837192da07e930d1f3.png

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I look forward to the equal and opposite  EO reactions in a few years.  

Equally marginal, I'd expect. Everybody freak out.

Speaking of which - 150round 9mm range packs and bulk m855s at academy this AM, and I was the 2nd person in line 45mins before opening. Did the hoarders run out of storage space or are people relaxing about this nonsense?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of which - 150round 9mm range packs and bulk m855s at academy this AM, and I was the 2nd person in line 45mins before opening. Did the hoarders run out of storage space or are people relaxing about this nonsense?

How much was the m855s?

No one freaking out. But getting braces back would be nice. It’s low hanging bullshit that will accomplish nothing.  You want to do something, do something benign but meaningful like working on making sure we enforce the laws we already have.  Then move onto things most Americans agree on like better back ground checks etc.   Banning an accessory is stupid and largely useless. 

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You want to do something, do something benign but meaningful like working on making sure we enforce the laws we already have.  

Like prosecuting people, like his crackhead son, for lying on form 4473's.  That makes too much sense, so we can't do that.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

No one freaking out. But getting braces back would be nice. It’s low hanging bullshit that will accomplish nothing.  You want to do something, do something benign but meaningful like working on making sure we enforce the laws we already have.  Then move onto things most Americans agree on like better back ground checks etc.   Banning an accessory is stupid and largely useless. 

agree  - here's my take as a unworried lifelong gun owner who is inconvenienced by political freakouts on the EO and "actions":

The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.” We are experiencing a growing problem: criminals are buying kits containing nearly all of the components and directions for finishing a firearm within as little as 30 minutes and using these firearms to commit crimes. When these firearms turn up at crime scenes, they often cannot be traced by law enforcement due to the lack of a serial number. The Justice Department will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of these firearms.

I honestly don't know how big of a deal this is, but I can't think of any reason why somebody should be able to get an 80% lower as an alternative to normal channels. I do want to build one at some point, so it's a hassle but I'm happy to get a stamp and put a number on it just like I would with an oil catcher.

The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act. The alleged shooter in the Boulder tragedy last month appears to have used a pistol with an arm brace, which can make a firearm more stable and accurate while still being concealable.

This has always seemed dumb to me (along the same lines as restrictions on suppressors, not sure why SBRs are problematic in the first place). But either way, I guess I could get a stamp. 

The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states. Red flag laws allow family members or law enforcement to petition for a court order temporarily barring people in crisis from accessing firearms if they present a danger to themselves or others. The President urges Congress to pass an appropriate national “red flag” law, as well as legislation incentivizing states to pass “red flag” laws of their own. In the interim, the Justice Department’s published model legislation will make it easier for states that want to adopt red flag laws to do so.

Good. I want red flag laws and so do the majority of the American people. 

The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions. Community violence interventions are proven strategies for reducing gun violence in urban communities through tools other than incarceration. Because cities across the country are experiencing a historic spike in homicides, the Biden-Harris Administration is taking a number of steps to prioritize investment in community violence interventions.

Whatever.

The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking. In 2000, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) issued a report summarizing information regarding its investigations into firearms trafficking, which is one way firearms are diverted into the illegal market where they can easily end up in the hands of dangerous individuals. Since the report’s publication, states, local, and federal policymakers have relied on its data to better thwart the common channels of firearms trafficking. But there is good reason to believe that firearms trafficking channels have changed since 2000, for example due to the emergence of online sales and proliferation of “ghost guns.” The Justice Department will issue a new, comprehensive report on firearms trafficking and annual updates necessary to give policymakers the information they need to help address firearms trafficking today.

chipmunk.gif

The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. ATF is the key agency enforcing our gun laws, and it needs a confirmed director in order to do the job to the best of its ability. But ATF has not had a confirmed director since 2015. Chipman served at ATF for 25 years and now works to advance commonsense gun safety laws.

chipmunk.gif

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

but I can't think of any reason why somebody should be able to get an 80% lower as an alternative to normal channels.

Agreed. Easy one. 

Good. I want red flag laws and so do the majority of the American people. 

I don’t want anything to do with this unless it is absolutely bipartisan.  If it’s something that gets shoved up our ass with a VP tiebreaker then they can go fuck themselves, and I would absolutely expect  equally painful legislation the other way when that time comes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So this new director of the ATF was one of the agents at Waco and has claimed during a Reddit AMA that cult members used two .50 caliber rifles to shoot down two Texas National Guard helicopters. He is also currently a gun control lobbyist. Seems like he was kinda poorly vetted, and this will probably come back to bite.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Who wants red flag laws where a vindictive spouse or family member, or police can petition to have your guns confiscated?  That's utter bullshit. A psychiatrist should be the one that makes that determination.

CHIEF

We going back to this nonsense of preliminary studies with carefully crafted questions as validation for "national support".  Funny how after the specifics come out, approval craters.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So this new director of the ATF was one of the agents at Waco and has claimed during a Reddit AMA that cult members used two .50 caliber rifles to shoot down two Texas National Guard helicopters. He is also currently a gun control lobbyist. Seems like he was kinda poorly vetted, and this will probably come back to bite.

Failing up...hallmark of virtually every government agency across the country.  So stupid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Who wants red flag laws where a vindictive spouse or family member, or police can petition to have your guns confiscated?  That's utter bullshit. A psychiatrist should be the one that makes that determination.

CHIEF

We'll need a new slang term like "swatting" to describe bogus calls resulting in Red Flag seizures. 

We going back to this nonsense of preliminary studies with carefully crafted questions as validation for "national support".  Funny how after the specifics come out, approval craters.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  

Some people are too ignorant to accept that. Plenty of gun owners are quick to be ok with giving up stuff that they deem unnecessary.

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

That seems like a strawman. What makes you think there wouldn't be a professional determination? And how common do you think that these false reports actually are?

Ever tried to get a spouse or family member care? That slope just isn't slippery. 

10 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

We'll need a new slang term like "swatting" to describe bogus calls resulting in Red Flag seizures. 

Lets create a term for a  non-existent phenomenon, sure. Guys, this kind of paranoia is why everything is so expensive. The price of your freedom is not letting crazies and wife beaters walk around strapped despite warning signs. 

Yeah, I have no problem with red flag laws assuming they are well written and allow for proper due process. Similarly, I'm in favor of universal background checks as long as they can be done free and conveniently. Unfortunately, we are not likely to get either of those things done properly because neither side is actually interested in doing things that would make an actual difference. The republicans are most likely to just oppose everything on principle (it makes a great wedge issue), and the democrats will write bills that are blatantly punitive and discriminatory towards minorities (as evidenced by the House versions of their universal background check bills that they pass every session).

As an aside, this whole thing about classifying pistol braces as SBR's really sticks in my craw. I can acknowledge that they are a workaround of federal law, but outlawing them will accomplish absolutely nothing while costing millions of gun owners. There is nothing to prevent a crazy individual from purchasing a regular stock and installing it on an AR pistol. It takes maybe ten minutes. So outlawing braces does nothing. It's kinda like the whole SBS thing. I someone wants to shoot somewhere up with a short barreled shotgun, nothing is going to prevent them from spending a couple minutes with a hacksaw. It's not like they care about the additional charges. The whole thing stems from an outdated assumption that barrel length has an effect on shot pattern, and deprives lawful gun owners of a tool that could be effectively used for self defense. It also has been upheld as lawful based on one of the worst, most corrupt, and poorly argued SCOTUS cases in our history.

• Hook 'Em 1

Swatting is already a thing.

In the gaming/online community threats have been called into police and raids caught on live mics and eventually live streams.

I believe it’s turned deadly at least once.

2 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

In the gaming/online community threats have been called into police and raids caught on live mics and eventually live streams.

And that’s related to the non-existent phenomenon of red flag laws deployed by angry ex-wives how?

So I think if red flag laws don’t get mixed with no-knock warrants and raids, things shouldn’t get too messy.

But I don’t know how LEO isn’t going to push for the return of no-knocks if they are having to separate, say, a sovereign citizen from his firearms. I should clarify maybe not a true sovereign citizen but someone on that path

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Lets create a term for a  non-existent phenomenon, sure. Guys, this kind of paranoia is why everything is so expensive. The price of your freedom is not letting crazies and wife beaters walk around strapped despite warning signs. 

I'm not opposed to certain measures being taken to help stop criminal activity.  That doesn't mean I also can't foresee that this law will be abused in certain situations, just like the weaponization of other laws.  IMO, that's simply good policy, to look at the worst case scenario for any legislative proposal and try to create checks and balances to prohibit abuse.

I can be for Red Flag laws, still wonder what we are going to call it when someone twists it in an act of vengeance, and hope for something to balance the scales in that event to make the "price of freedom" something we can afford.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-red-flag-20191001-zjzsbra735eatkkm2qmobz5z4a-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The Anne Arundel County police officers were serving an extreme risk protective order that required them to confiscate guns from a man they’d never encountered at a home they’d never visited.

That morning would end with the death of Willis, the only known fatality during the year since Maryland’s red flag law — designed to take weapons away from people who pose an extreme risk to themselves or others — went into effect on Oct. 1, 2018. 

• Rage+1 1

On 4/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

And that’s related to the non-existent phenomenon of red flag laws deployed by angry ex-wives how?

The point is that it can be and will be done, and the secret to gain real support and make it beneficial is to craft the legislation in such a way that there is relief and due process in the event of such a thing.  

We have due process for things, and need to have due process for Red Flag laws as well - Just blindly saying I support this because it is good in theory isn't something I'm willing to do until I see the specifics.  If at that point they seem fair, reasonable, and just with adequate safeguards from abuse, I'll be in support.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I know the term.  I was saying swatting is a term used for a certain type of bogus claim, and I wonder what the term will be for this when someone thinks its funny or seeks revenge by calling in a Red Flag claim.  I wasn't suggesting it will be called swatting as if that was original to me.

• Like 1

Gun control is emotional on both sides.  There is a tendency for proponents and opponents alike to be knee jerk in their actions and opinions.  

If we don't address things like this and have an open discussion with intellectual honesty about what could and will happen, then we do disservice to the cause of making the country more safe.

@Bozo_Casanova  My point is, to completely dismiss this idea could lead to bad legislation and innocent people being hurt.  Your calling it non-existent in my opinion is a bit naive and could lead to a bad law without certain safeguards if the drafters of the legislation think the same way, or don't think through it at all.

I'm not opposed rational laws.  Don't jump to conclusions in the same way you think I'm jumping to conclusions. 

Edit- maybe I’m just old and cynical, but there are people in this country who want to ban all firearms and others who want zero regulation.  They’re vying for the votes from all of the rest of us and attempting to influence legislation toward their end goals.

I don’t trust either side to ever act in 100% good faith. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed. Easy one. 

I don’t want anything to do with this unless it is absolutely bipartisan.  If it’s something that gets shoved up our ass with a VP tiebreaker then they can go fuck themselves, and I would absolutely expect  equally painful legislation the other way when that time comes.  

So that's interesting, that you believe GOP congress asswipes need to vote for something for it to be "bipartisan".  

If a good chunk of GOP voters support something that dems do, I don't give a fuck what GOP congress asswipes do, it's fucking "bipartisan".   

Get it through your head dude, the GOP is bought and paid-for by the gun lobby.  They aren't gonna do shit unless LaPierre tells them it's OK, regardless of what their constituents think. 

33 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Get it through your head dude, the GOP is bought and paid-for by the gun lobby. 

This bothers me less than 0%.

33 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

They aren't gonna do shit unless LaPierre tells them it's OK, regardless of what their constituents think. 

The literal only issue I have with the NRA is how they fucked away money.  As soon as they figure that out, American Rifleman will be back in my mailbox. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That seems like a strawman. What makes you think there wouldn't be a professional determination? And how common do you think that these false reports actually are?

Ever tried to get a spouse or family member care? That slope just isn't slippery. 

I don't know, maybe because nowhere in the proposed, but vaguely worded, court order you cited recommended a psychiatric evaluation to determine the "crisis". Again, as most stated above, being for or against it would depend on the drafting of the legislation. 

CHIEF

CHIEF

Every meaningful proposal I’ve heard of would have a material due process component. None of them would have the cops swoop in and take all of your guns just because your bitchy Aunt Linda filed a petition. This is just not a realistic fear. That doesn’t mean that the process would always be perfect, no process is. The state has the right to take your personal Liberty, so long as there’s due process. And we’re ok with that, even though the state sometimes gets it wrong.

We should definitely scrutinize any proposal to make sure it requires due process. But the fear of “they’re gonna take my guns if someone sends a letter to the cops saying I’m nuts, so I’m against red flag laws” is not grounded in any rational thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-red-flag-20191001-zjzsbra735eatkkm2qmobz5z4a-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The Anne Arundel County police officers were serving an extreme risk protective order that required them to confiscate guns from a man they’d never encountered at a home they’d never visited.

That morning would end with the death of Willis, the only known fatality during the year since Maryland’s red flag law — designed to take weapons away from people who pose an extreme risk to themselves or others — went into effect on Oct. 1, 2018. 

Ummm....I don’t think that story supports the take you’d like it to support. Looks like the order was very appropriate and justified. Just came too late, and couldn’t be executed without the nutbar doing the thing they were afraid he’d do.
  • Hook 'Em 1