The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

15 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Biggest surprise everyone who has shot through my cans is...

“Hmm... it’s not really that quiet huh?”

To which I usually respond dropping 30-35dcb isn’t about being Hollywood silent, it’s about saving my ears.

To get "Hollywood quiet" we're talking 22lb sub-sonics and a can.  Even 5.56/.300 subs and a can are not what they are portrayed to be in movies.  To operate with subs is also wildly specific.  It would have to be dedicated and known CQB action only.  Nothing at range.  

• Like 3

Constitutional Carry looking more and more likely

It's happening...

The Texas House on Thursday gave an initial OK to a bill that would allow handguns to be carried without a permit, marking a win for gun rights activists who have for years pushed the measure at the Legislature but a blow to El Paso Democrats who have been fighting for gun safety measures since the 2019 massacre in their hometown.

The 84-56 vote came after several hours of some of the most emotionally charged debate yet this legislative session, with Democrats pleading to their colleagues to reconsider their position on the legislation.

House Bill 1927, spearheaded by state Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler, would nix the requirement for Texas residents to obtain a license to carry handguns if they're not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun. Texans under current state law must generally be licensed to carry handguns, either openly or concealed.

• Like 4

Drop a Nylon 66 in a river for a year you can pull it out and shoot it just fine.

Signed, a guy who has owned a Nylon 66 that has not been cleaned since 1979. 

I thought this was really good.

Dear Remington: Make the Model 700 Rifle Great Again

An open letter to the new owners at Remington: Produce high-quality rifles or don't bother.

Spoiler

When I was young there were two kinds of families: Winchester families and Remington families. We were a Winchester family. My mother and father had matching Model 12s. Dad’s rifle was a Winchester model 100, and I had a Model 61 pump-action .22. My cousin lived in a Remington family. They had a couple 870s, a Model 121 pump .22, and a Model 700 in the fire-breathing 7mm RemingtonMagnum. Back then, brand loyalty was strong. So strong that at age 14 when I bought my first Remington Model 700, my mother refused to talk to me.

Times change. Winchesters are now made by Miroku in Japan and Fabrique Nationale d’Herstal (FN). Remington Outdoor Company filed bankruptcy in mid 2020, and as of right now Remington firearms are not being produced. However, with news of  an agreement worked out with the United Mine Workers, it looks like Remington may be making firearms in their Ilion, New York, factory again very soon. I’m not sure what the United Mine Workers should have to do with guns, and for the love of Elmer Keith, why would Remington remain in one of the most unfriendly states for gun owners? These early decisions do not inspire confidence, but I’m willing to wait and see what happens.

This is partly because, like many who’ve trusted Remington for years, I do not want to see the brand die. It’s also because I’m anxious to see what these new Remington guns will look like and how they’ll perform. I’m not much of a shotgun guy, so I’ll leave that to F&S shotguns editor Phil Bourjaily. My interest lies with rifles, and for more than a half a century I’ve used them to hunt all over the world. With that experience and a life-long appreciation for some of the fine guns Remington has produced, here’s some advice for the new suits running the company.

Dear Remington 2021,

This letter is addressed to the new team now driving the Big Green bus. I know some of your names, but I don’t know exactly who you are or if you know anything about guns or hunting. I suspect you’ve done your homework, though, and you’re aware that Remington has been making rifles since 1816, and that in those 200-plus years, they’ve made some great ones—most notably, the Model 700, which has been used and trusted all over the world by hunters and police and military snipers. If you stop making it, you are fools, but if you don’t slightly modify it, you’re still fools.

Remington Model 700 The author’s classic Remington Model 700 Anniversary Edition. Richard Mann

Make the Remington Model 700 Better than Ever

There’s no use trying to make an affordable hunting rifle, as there are plenty of those. Let the 700 be all it can be. For starters, get rid of that damned trigger that’s caused gun owners more problems than Bill Clinton, and replace it with a Timney and be done with it. Also, with older Remington 700s, the safety lever locked the bolt; get back to that and if the guy that got rid of that feature still works for Remington, fire him. The next thing to do is revise the stock so that the comb is a bit higher and will work better with a riflescope, while helping to dissipate recoil.

For many years Remington offered a Classic 700 chambered for a different classic cartridge each year. Bring that back and start with something cool like a .257 Roberts or a .264 Winchester Magnum. Use good wood and polish and nicely blue all the metal work or use stainless steel. Also, we don’t need 47 variations of the same rifle. Most who want a Remington 700 configured in a specific way look to the hordes of aftermarket stocks and accessories and customize their own. We need a classic-style hunting rifle, a varmint rifle, a long-range precision rifle, a lightweight mountain rifle, and maybe a dangerous-game rifle. For those who want to create their own, sell Model 700 actions. And while you’re at it, don’t cut corners to save money, build them right; at least make sure the damned barrel is screwed on straight.

Keep the Model Seven Light and Compact

The other rifle you need to manufacture is the Model Seven, which might be the best bolt-action hunting rifle ever offered by Remington. (And that’s saying something.) But here’s the thing, the Model Seven was supposed to be a compact, lightweight rifle, so don’t try to turn it into a 700. It too needs a good trigger, but also a thinly contoured barrel and a sturdy, lightweight stock. If you want to really get creative, offer it chambered for the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnums. Yes, these cartridges were good ideas in 1966 and still are. The Model Seven is also an excellent platform for a Scout Rifle. If you built it right, it would have mass appeal.

Richard Mann with Remington Model Seven The author, hunting in Texas with a Remington Custom Shop Model Seven. Richard Mann

Don’t Overlook the Need for a Good .22

While you’re at it, redesign the Model 541 rimfire rifle. It makes a great trainer for a centerfire hunting rifle, and there are still some serious small-game hunters among use. And why not introduce a modern version of the Nylon 66. You need to do this for two reasons. The first reason is that there is a passel of hunters out there who grew up with one; it was the gun that made them Remington fans. Now, those old timers have disposable income and could use it to relive their past and introduce their grandkids to what it’s like to grow up with a good .22.

And that brings us to the second reason. A serious manufacturer of hunting rifles needs a reliable .22 rifle to help build brand loyalty. You know what brand loyalty is, don’t you? That’s what allowed Remington to stay in business for 200 years even when some of the guns they were making were crap.

Go Ahead and Ditch the Handguns

Oh, but what about handguns, you say? Look, I know that early on Remington made some fantastic handgun, ,like the 1875 revolver; Frederick Russel Burnham carried one during his long campaigns in Africa. And there was the Pedersen-designed Model 51; General George Patton had one of those. And yes, back in 1918 Remington made 1911s for the military. Today, no one cares about the 1875 or the Model 51, and the 1911 market is already overcrowded. Forget handguns; just let it go.

That’s it and it’s pretty darn simple: Make quality version of the great guns that made Remington famous. Prove you can do that without mucking it up, and then you can look to the future and introduce something new and exciting. If you can’t build the sort of guns that created Remington families in the first place, no one is going to buy anything from Remington that’s new and unproven anyway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Also, with older Remington 700s, the safety lever locked the bolt; get back to that and if the guy that got rid of that feature still works for Remington, fire him.

My only disagreement is this.  I hate having to (or knowing someone else around me has to) put a rifle on fire to unload it.

I get guys not wanting the bolt to open while hiking, etc. but that's why I'm a huge advocate of the 3-pos safety.  

I just believe that a rifle goes off safe only when intending to shoot, not when intending to shoot or unload.  Seems counter-intuitive to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

To get "Hollywood quiet" we're talking 22lb sub-sonics and a can.  Even 5.56/.300 subs and a can are not what they are portrayed to be in movies.  To operate with subs is also wildly specific.  It would have to be dedicated and known CQB action only.  Nothing at range.  

Yep. My dearly departed 300blk with sandman S and subsonics can get decently quiet if I dial my gas block down so it won’t cycle but it’s no where near Hollywood quiet and what’s the point in single shooting and having to charge it each time.

I’m fine with supers for hogs.

My drowned Sandman K has no chance of being quiet, that one is 100% about taking the bite outta whatever it is on.

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Drop a Nylon 66 in a river for a year you can pull it out and shoot it just fine.

An open letter to the new owners at Remington: Produce high-quality rifles or don't bother.

Reveal hidden contents

When I was young there were two kinds of families: Winchester families and Remington families. We were a Winchester family. My mother and father had matching Model 12s. Dad’s rifle was a Winchester model 100, and I had a Model 61 pump-action .22. My cousin lived in a Remington family. They had a couple 870s, a Model 121 pump .22, and a Model 700 in the fire-breathing 7mm RemingtonMagnum. Back then, brand loyalty was strong. So strong that at age 14 when I bought my first Remington Model 700, my mother refused to talk to me.

Times change. Winchesters are now made by Miroku in Japan and Fabrique Nationale d’Herstal (FN). Remington Outdoor Company filed bankruptcy in mid 2020, and as of right now Remington firearms are not being produced. However, with news of  an agreement worked out with the United Mine Workers, it looks like Remington may be making firearms in their Ilion, New York, factory again very soon. I’m not sure what the United Mine Workers should have to do with guns, and for the love of Elmer Keith, why would Remington remain in one of the most unfriendly states for gun owners? These early decisions do not inspire confidence, but I’m willing to wait and see what happens.

This is partly because, like many who’ve trusted Remington for years, I do not want to see the brand die. It’s also because I’m anxious to see what these new Remington guns will look like and how they’ll perform. I’m not much of a shotgun guy, so I’ll leave that to F&S shotguns editor Phil Bourjaily. My interest lies with rifles, and for more than a half a century I’ve used them to hunt all over the world. With that experience and a life-long appreciation for some of the fine guns Remington has produced, here’s some advice for the new suits running the company.

Dear Remington 2021,

This letter is addressed to the new team now driving the Big Green bus. I know some of your names, but I don’t know exactly who you are or if you know anything about guns or hunting. I suspect you’ve done your homework, though, and you’re aware that Remington has been making rifles since 1816, and that in those 200-plus years, they’ve made some great ones—most notably, the Model 700, which has been used and trusted all over the world by hunters and police and military snipers. If you stop making it, you are fools, but if you don’t slightly modify it, you’re still fools.

Remington Model 700 The author’s classic Remington Model 700 Anniversary Edition. Richard Mann

There’s no use trying to make an affordable hunting rifle, as there are plenty of those. Let the 700 be all it can be. For starters, get rid of that damned trigger that’s caused gun owners more problems than Bill Clinton, and replace it with a Timney and be done with it. Also, with older Remington 700s, the safety lever locked the bolt; get back to that and if the guy that got rid of that feature still works for Remington, fire him. The next thing to do is revise the stock so that the comb is a bit higher and will work better with a riflescope, while helping to dissipate recoil.

For many years Remington offered a Classic 700 chambered for a different classic cartridge each year. Bring that back and start with something cool like a .257 Roberts or a .264 Winchester Magnum. Use good wood and polish and nicely blue all the metal work or use stainless steel. Also, we don’t need 47 variations of the same rifle. Most who want a Remington 700 configured in a specific way look to the hordes of aftermarket stocks and accessories and customize their own. We need a classic-style hunting rifle, a varmint rifle, a long-range precision rifle, a lightweight mountain rifle, and maybe a dangerous-game rifle. For those who want to create their own, sell Model 700 actions. And while you’re at it, don’t cut corners to save money, build them right; at least make sure the damned barrel is screwed on straight.

The other rifle you need to manufacture is the Model Seven, which might be the best bolt-action hunting rifle ever offered by Remington. (And that’s saying something.) But here’s the thing, the Model Seven was supposed to be a compact, lightweight rifle, so don’t try to turn it into a 700. It too needs a good trigger, but also a thinly contoured barrel and a sturdy, lightweight stock. If you want to really get creative, offer it chambered for the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnums. Yes, these cartridges were good ideas in 1966 and still are. The Model Seven is also an excellent platform for a Scout Rifle. If you built it right, it would have mass appeal.

Richard Mann with Remington Model Seven The author, hunting in Texas with a Remington Custom Shop Model Seven. Richard Mann

While you’re at it, redesign the Model 541 rimfire rifle. It makes a great trainer for a centerfire hunting rifle, and there are still some serious small-game hunters among use. And why not introduce a modern version of the Nylon 66. You need to do this for two reasons. The first reason is that there is a passel of hunters out there who grew up with one; it was the gun that made them Remington fans. Now, those old timers have disposable income and could use it to relive their past and introduce their grandkids to what it’s like to grow up with a good .22.

And that brings us to the second reason. A serious manufacturer of hunting rifles needs a reliable .22 rifle to help build brand loyalty. You know what brand loyalty is, don’t you? That’s what allowed Remington to stay in business for 200 years even when some of the guns they were making were crap.

Oh, but what about handguns, you say? Look, I know that early on Remington made some fantastic handgun, ,like the 1875 revolver; Frederick Russel Burnham carried one during his long campaigns in Africa. And there was the Pedersen-designed Model 51; General George Patton had one of those. And yes, back in 1918 Remington made 1911s for the military. Today, no one cares about the 1875 or the Model 51, and the 1911 market is already overcrowded. Forget handguns; just let it go.

That’s it and it’s pretty darn simple: Make quality version of the great guns that made Remington famous. Prove you can do that without mucking it up, and then you can look to the future and introduce something new and exciting. If you can’t build the sort of guns that created Remington families in the first place, no one is going to buy anything from Remington that’s new and unproven anyway.

If I'm doing that I'd prefer to pull an HK91 out of the mud to put shit downrange.

Just personal preference.

Once watched a video of a 91 dropped from a helicopter into a stream, left for several months, dug out of the mud, cleared the barrell (but not the action), and then dude commenced to shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yrds w/open sights.

Edited by Cajun

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of - Have you seen what those things are selling for now?  They've been "rediscovered" or finally appreciated and are no longer languishing on pawn shop shelves.

Not uncommon to see a nice one go for +++$500 and even the one you pulled from the river will fetch north of $300 and then be cleaned up..

I've still got mine and those are slick little shooters.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Speaking of - Have you seen what those things are selling for now?  They've been "rediscovered" or finally appreciated and are no longer languishing on pawn shop shelves.

Not uncommon to see a nice one go for +++$500 and even the one you pulled from the river will fetch north of $300 and then be cleaned up..

I've still got mine and those are slick little shooters.

I love mine. It's the best and most practical gun I've ever had, and I'll never sell it.

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I love mine. It's the best and most practical gun I've ever had, and I'll never sell it.

Did you know the also made a Nylon 10 series? 

Bolt Action - smooth bore .22

Why? who knows....and they only made a handful, so if you ever see something looking like a frankengun with a nylon stock....grab it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Did you know the also made a Nylon 10 series? 
Bolt Action - smooth bore .22
Why? who knows....and they only made a handful, so if you ever see something looking like a frankengun with a nylon stock....grab it. 

Sounds like a "garden gun" you use with rat shot. For rats, snakes and such.

I am a big fan of rat shot from a 22 for descret snake elimination with low collateral damage. I also use rat shot in a 38 (357) for the same task where more noise and potential collateral damage can be accepted.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

Sounds like a "garden gun" you use with rat shot. For rats, snakes and such.

I am a big fan of rat shot from a 22 for descret snake elimination with low collateral damage. I also use rat shot in a 38 (357) for the same task where more noise and potential collateral damage can be accepted.

Henry makes a lever action smoothbore .22 garden gun that's a tad overpriced, but quiet with shotshells for city use. You could keep it in a golf bag in case coral snakes come out. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 4/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Hide contents

Dear Remington 2021,

Hard to argue about the model 7, one of my favorite rifles.  But he could have written the same article from about the mid-80’s on imo. 

The problem with that pistol is the group that respects it is small and probably spends most of their money on training. 

I’d love to own it but don’t see much appreciation like you would with a 1st Gen SAA or a gun with documentation to Al Capone or someone 

Edited by Archer

On 4/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, Jhawk said:

Shot the 300 blk integral. Damn that so quiet. And didn’t expect recoil that was the level of a 22lr. Best purchase I’ve ever made. Bar none 

Good friend.  He started out his son on his.  Great deer rifle for under 100yds and he can talk his kid through the process in the blind without ear pro.  

12 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Was finally able to find an MR920 in stock this weekend. New addition to the family. Optics is on backorder though 🙄

PXL_20210418_170849113.jpg

PXL_20210418_170922181.jpg

PXL_20210418_210841793.jpg

4.5 barrel?  Those are slick.  They take stock mags?  The black frame with gold is pretty clean as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

4.5 barrel?  Those are slick.  They take stock mags?  The black frame with gold is pretty clean as well.  

Yup.....comes with magpul pmag 15 magazines but glock 19 magazines work as well.  Basically a Gucci Glock but not as expensive as a Zev.  And supports a local company.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Yup.....comes with magpul pmag 15 magazines but glock 19 magazines work as well.  Basically a Gucci Glock but not as expensive as a Zev.  And supports a local company.

Attorney friend of mine has a Zev.  Replaced his Wilson 1911.  Rich friend problems.....;)

• Rage+1 1

Can one of you handgun gurus explain the Zev to me?   I see they are alittle spendy, but worth it because quality?   I’m not one to shy away from price especially with guns, *if* the quality deems it’s worth it.   I’ve been building my rifle and shotgun family up for decades now, but do not own but a few hand me down pistols from my brother.  Need to rectify that soon. 

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Can one of you handgun gurus explain the Zev to me?   I see they are alittle spendy, but worth it because quality?   I’m not one to shy away from price especially with guns, *if* the quality deems it’s worth it.   I’ve been building my rifle and shotgun family up for decades now, but do not own but a few hand me down pistols from my brother.  Need to rectify that soon. 

I carry Gen 5 19 on a daily basis.  I like the Zev Pro flat face trigger the best.  A little over 3 lbs on my gauge with great take-up and a predictable wall.  Like holsters, everyone is different in what they like.  I have drawer full of Gen 5 trigger systems that I do not like for one reason or another.   The other Zev parts don't help my shooting so I don't need them.

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

I carry Gen 5 19 on a daily basis.  I like the Zev Pro flat face trigger the best.  A little over 3 lbs on my gauge with great take-up and a predictable wall.  Like holsters, everyone is different in what they like.  I have drawer full of Gen 5 trigger systems that I do not like for one reason or another.   The other Zev parts don't help my shooting so I don't need them.

Tell me more about this. 

I don't *love* the trigger on my Gen 5 G19, but I don't hate it either, and I'm hesitant to swap it out. That's one of my two "if shit gets real" guns (the other is a S&W Governor) and when it comes to lives at risk, an aftermarket trigger on a famously well-engineered product seems like a wildcard. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

My background and training is with the 1911 platform.  Still love it, but like a mechanical watch, it needs care and maintenance.  Love the trigger.

Glocks don't need care or maintenance on a routine level and I have transitioned to them over the years for every day carry, training modules, etc...

My EDC is Gen 5 because of ambi slide release and I am a lefty.  I have 3 in my rotation and all have Dawson suppressor height fiber optic sights, Zev triggers + one Timney trigger.  All have RMR capability and I will go thru phases of dot and no dot.

Anyway, the stock trigger is advertised 5.5 lbs stock and has a two stage take-up.  My gauge typically measures them at 5.5 to 6 lbs.  There are a lot of after market systems that lighten both the take up and final stage.  Some will shorten the take up, speed up reset, etc....  You can get what you like.   Personally, I like a pronounced and light initial take up with a light, predictable wall.  My trigger pull is two stage.  Take up the slack, make the final pull.  I train like that and speeds are based on how fast I can put the combination together.  On mine, the Zev comes in at 3ish lbs(that is after 1000s of rounds).   Today, I shot a 5 shot string from concealed at 10 yards.  All within the 8 ring.   2.75 seconds total.  1.82 draw to first shot and 0.23 average splits.  At 5 yards, 1.94 total.  0.97 to first shot, 0.24 splits.  Not the fastest guy around, but pretty quick.  I think the trigger helps me with accuracy and I have found a platform I like.  I have 1/2 dozen platforms I don't like.

People are different.  I like fooling around with EDCs.  My 1911 is custom built and I baby it, change out the mag/recoil springs, load ammo to my feel of optimum recoil/slide function.  Same with the Glocks.  I change out the triggers and sights.  I also have a pair of 30S that I switch out to when I'm feeling .45ish.  They have Zev parts, fiber optic sights, etc...

My business partner wears a Gen 5 19 every day.  His is totally stock, including plastic sights.  He shoots lights out and is instructor level good.  He never changes anything, just shoots every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure what prompted the CMP to send out an advisory but they did.  Opinions on this topic vary, but the CMP is obviously as informed as anyone.

I'd have to go to my old CMP manuals to see what was added / changed, but for the most part, this appears to still be in line with conventional wisdom from the majority of the shooters and what they have published before - The change may be moving the bullet weight down from 180gr.....as that number has always been stuck in my mind, but I could be mistaken

S.gif

950d5fba-dbfb-4c63-91e2-1479fdff3736.png

S.gif

WARNING!

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Don't own one but have friends that do.  Apparently, the gas operating system can't take the higher operating pressures and are prone to failure.  My friends use specific M1 Garand ammo or load their own.  Typically 150 grain soft points running at a pedestrian 25-2600 fps.  

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

Don't own one but have friends that do.  Apparently, the gas operating system can't take the higher operating pressures and are prone to failure.  My friends use specific M1 Garand ammo or load their own.  Typically 150 grain soft points running at a pedestrian 25-2600 fps.  

Yep - that's always been their stance and the practice of most Garand owners.

The rifle was built to fire the M2 Ball (150gr FMJ at 2740fps) or equivalent and that's what they have always recommended.  That's what they have published in the past and referred any questions to their printed advisories.

Something must have happened for them to send out a special email to everyone in their system.  Maybe it's to reinforce the problems with heavier, higher pressure rounds to the newer owners, as their sales have been booming.  I hope its that and not another scenario where someone pushed the envelope and got hurt.

Some guys play with adjustable gas plugs to run higher pressure and try to prevent damage to the rifles, but that seems like a fools game considering the potential cost of a failure vs. the payoff of extra fps.

Yep - The Cheek article and the prior CMP disclaimer always pointed to 180 gr or less as a reliable safeguard to whatever risk there was (and the exact amount of risk is open for debate).

That's always been my benchmark.  Why they chose to now move their goal posts to 172-174 grain is curious.

In reality, even shooting heavier loads out of a well lubed M1 is not going to cause issues in the vast majority of rifles.

Plenty of gun show guys will bet their life that a single round of 200 grain ammo will instantly been the op rod of every Garand.  That's just not the case.

Something has happened somewhere that caused them to make this small but albeit significant change in their stated position. 

I don't really care other than the curiosity to know why.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I have a golden boy .22lr that is an absolute safe queen. I like shooting my rugers since aftermarket barrel, sparrow can, etc.

I have a guy who wants to give me 600 for it. Thoughts?

Unless its a less common variation, that's not a bad deal for either party.  It would cost him more new considering taxes, shipping, FFL etc. and you wouldn't be leaving anything on the table.  You probably have that or less in it I'd guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I have a golden boy .22lr that is an absolute safe queen. I like shooting my rugers since aftermarket barrel, sparrow can, etc.

I have a guy who wants to give me 600 for it. Thoughts?

Isn’t that more than a new one? I could have sworn I saw one in .22lr or .17HMR for like $550 recently.