The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I need to update the trustees and beneficiaries in my form 4 NFA trust.
Is it as simple as a notarized amendment and restatement?
I believe you are correct. I named about 20 people in mine. Friends and family.

A notarized amendment with the original should be fine and legal, there was nothing you sent in with names originally.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:16 PM, markstanco said:

I have a golden boy .22lr that is an absolute safe queen. I like shooting my rugers since aftermarket barrel, sparrow can, etc.

I have a guy who wants to give me 600 for it. Thoughts?

My Golden Boy is both kids favorite rifle.  It's solid, accurate, and has a "heft" I like with that big octagonal barrel.  Keep it and pass it on.  

30 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My Golden Boy is both kids favorite rifle.  It's solid, accurate, and has a "heft" I like with that big octagonal barrel.  Keep it and pass it on.  

That IS who I bought it for.  But they prefer the red dot and silencer on my main Ruger I like to shoot. It is really just in the way now. 

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That IS who I bought it for.  But they prefer the red dot and silencer on my main Ruger I like to shoot. It is really just in the way now. 

I went through that with my tricked out 10/22.  Maybe a product of age, but I now have regressed back to level actions.  

I was today's year old when I learned about Nesika Firearms and Actions.

Stumbled across a complete gun on the used rack chambered in .300 Win Mag with a very nice composite stock.

Rifle appeared LNIB and was well balanced.  That action is a beast.

I don't recall ever hearing about this outfit from Sturgis, but they appear to make some qualify stuff.

After getting home I think either the shop doesn't know what they have, or they've had it a while and want to get rid of it.

Anyone have one?  Anyone want one?  

Nesika Firearms

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

What was the price and what glass did it have?

No glass.  No pics.  They had the rifle with an original ask of $1800, but it appeared it had been marked down from there.

I couldn't tell that it had ever been used and the action alone sells for 70% of that.

MSRP on new production complete rifles shows to be around $3500 based on what I could gather, but I don't know who did what to that specific one.

May not be a lot of demand for a long range thumper in Hoover, AL.

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sure, let's give this guy our money. That'll show the gun grabbers. 

20 feet away and missed the spot 3 times.  4 shots in and the elephant is still suffering.  Finally brought in a pinch shooter to finish the animal with the 5th shot.  His first shot was when the guide was saying to wait.

This does not even account for why he was hunting an elephant.

Then they line his wife up to kill another one. She is a better shot than Wayne.

40 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

20 feet away and missed the spot 3 times.  4 shots in and the elephant is still suffering.  Finally brought in a pinch shooter to finish the animal with the 5th shot.  His first shot was when the guide was saying to wait.

Then they line his wife up to kill another one. She is a better shot than Wayne.

You hush! The only thing standing between you and being vaccinated for Covid and forcibly gay married to transgendered MS-13 satanists while George Soros takes your Pappy’s old .243 is Wayne LaPierre.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TexasEd said:

That makes me ragey.

19 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Certain parts of Africa are overrun with them.  Some of the old bulls learn they can intrude upon and destroy villages for food and cause mass chaos and have to be put down, so instead they "auction" them off for tons of money that goes back into habitat and conservation measures (how most are funded actually, by hunters)

What happened with that old, black giraffe everyone was so up in arms about.  It was an old, sterile bull that was killing other, younger males and was going to be put down, but instead outsourced the task for a ton of money that went back into maintaining the park.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

That makes me ragey.

It's infuriating. I try to explain this to my anti-gun friends: in any online discussion of rifle cartridges in Texas, pigs will invariably come up, and with it, the ethics of using various rounds and techniques for shooting them. In other words, Texas hunters and ranchers speak about the right way to shoot adults of an invasive, destructive species with the same seriousness they do trophy animals. Not saying they all agree or that they are all ethical, but it's a thing people care about. 

And then at the other end of the spectrum, is this gross, flabby, incompetent, phony pussy motherfucker. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's infuriating. I try to explain this to my anti-gun friends: in any online discussion of rifle cartridges in Texas, pigs will invariably come up, and with the, the ethics of using various rounds and techniques. In other words, Texas hunters and ranchers speak about the right way to shoot adults of an invasive, destructive species with the same seriousness they do trophy animals. Not saying they all agree or that they are all ethical, but it's a thing people care about. 

And then at the other end of the spectrum, is this gross, phony motherfucker. 

Every rancher I know would beat pigs to death nailed down to a board with a ball peen hammer if it meant getting rid of them.  The "ethics" is pretty far down the list and is only introduced as a side note to efficiency of killing as many as you can as quickly as you can.  

Saw somewhere you'd have to kill upwards of 70% of ALL the pigs in the state to make a dent in their numbers, and that is year over year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Certain parts of Africa are overrun with them.  Some of the old bulls learn they can intrude upon and destroy villages for food and cause mass chaos and have to be put down, so instead they "auction" them off for tons of money that goes back into habitat and conservation measures (how most are funded actually, by hunters)

What happened with that old, black giraffe everyone was so up in arms about.  It was an old, sterile bull that was killing other, younger males and was going to be put down, but instead outsourced the task for a ton of money that went back into maintaining the park.  

Fine with all the above. Not fine with cruelty, incompetence or indifference. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Every rancher I know would beat pigs to death nailed down to a board with a ball peen hammer if it meant getting rid of them.  The "ethics" is pretty far down the list and is only introduced as a side note to efficiency of killing as many as you can as quickly as you can.  

Saw somewhere you'd have to kill upwards of 70% of ALL the pigs in the state to make a dent in their numbers, and that is year over year.

Sure, and yet, people still talk about it. Are you saying they don't? 

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Used to guide in college at the Choctaw Game Ranch.  The owner Vic Lattimore's son went to Texas before transferring out.  Anyway, the cock-bags we'd get trying to take down fenced in animals was appalling.  To their credit, they'd never tried to kill a Bison, etc with a rifle and didn't know what load to use, where to aim, any of it.  

For an elephant, I'd think a little prep work would be in order and advice from the guide heeded.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sure, and yet, people still talk about it. Are you saying they don't? 

Not at all.  Mostly from a detached viewpoint.  When they can no longer get their frappa-lamma-ding dong bullshit coffee because all the sow bean crops are destroyed, they might start changing their tunes a little.  

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yep.  I'm well aware there are circumstances in which elephants can or should be subject to culling/hunting, so I've got no issues with that part of it.  It was the manner in which that douchenozzle went about it that pissed me off.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yep.  I'm well aware there are circumstances in which elephants can or should be subject to culling/hunting, so I've got no issues with that part of it.  It was the manner in which that douchenozzle went about it that pissed me off.

Never a good idea as a public person to post any manner of trophy hunting - ever.  First of all, nobody really cares who understands what you are doing and everyone else that doesn't feigns outrage and starts hurling rocks.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Used to guide in college at the Choctaw Game Ranch.  The owner Vic Lattimore's son went to Texas before transferring out.  Anyway, the cock-bags we'd get trying to take down fenced in animals was appalling.  To their credit, they'd never tried to kill a Bison, etc with a rifle and didn't know what load to use, where to aim, any of it.  

For an elephant, I'd think a little prep work would be in order and advice from the guide heeded.  

A friend of mine in South Texas briefly ran canned hunts on his ranch and shut it down because he got too disgusted watching LARPer assholes gut shoot semi-tame animals from short range and laugh about it.

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A friend of mine in South Texas briefly ran canned hunts on his ranch and shut it down because he got too disgusted watching LARPer assholes gut shoot semi-tame animals from short range and laugh about it.

It's a tough gig.  Friend of mine.  His FIL had a family friend that ran the Twisted-5 near San Angelo and had to shut it down.  I get the laughing part.  People who don't really get many chances to hunt don't have the reverence.  The "act like you've been there before" respect.  Because they haven't. 

Choctaw was about 7K acres, so these were essentially wild animals.  Many deer die within a few miles of where they are born.  Not all range that far, even with low fences.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

It's a tough gig.  Friend of mine.  His FIL had a family friend that ran the Twisted-5 near San Angelo and had to shut it down.  I get the laughing part.  People who don't really get many chances to hunt don't have the reverence.  The "act like you've been there before" respect.  Because they haven't. 

Choctaw was about 7K acres, so these were essentially wild animals.  Many deer die within a few miles of where they are born.  Not all range that far, even with low fences.

Got no problem with high fences.  Hell we have a 650 acre pasture that is high fenced off the rest of our high fenced place because my granddad put red deer in there 30 years ago.  Normally have around 20 mature stags, some younger stags, and maybe 30 or so hinds.  We try and keep it at that level.  There is plenty of cover and let me tell you what, you go sit by a feeder and you might have a one in five chance of seeing one.  You can drive all over that pasture and not see shit.  Had it happen a hundred times.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Got no problem with high fences.  Hell we have a 650 acre pasture that is high fenced off the rest of our high fenced place because my granddad put red deer in there 30 years ago.  Normally have around 20 mature stags, some younger stags, and maybe 30 or so hinds.  We try and keep it at that level.  There is plenty of cover and let me tell you what, you go sit by a feeder and you might have a one in five chance of seeing one.  You can drive all over that pasture and not see shit.  Had it happen a hundred times.

Same for that very reason.  It's far from a guarantee, especially when you get into the thousands of acres.  Allows you to better manage and segregate certain breeds that compete for many of the same resources (like Axis and White tail)

red deer

Damn Commie traitor deers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGbLuqutW2q7tiavjm0tP

Edited by BabaYaga

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If I have a gun in the car, it’s on me or in the console where I can get it. It doesn’t spend the night in the vehicle.

Yep.  Drive a Tundra now, and the center consol had a cutout for keys, phone etc.  Works damn well for a small P365 as well covered with a cloth cover with pockets in it.  Slips in and is out of sight.  Like this.  

Seat Armour® - Black Cotton/Terry Velour Console Cover

• Hook 'Em 1

Clearing your holster from a seated position in your car is hard.  Been to classes on it.  It's a fairly advanced series of movements that I am in no way proficient at.  

I appendix carry and am left handed, so if I'm driving, the belt crosses over and clicks on my right hip.  If I want to keep the pistol on my person, I have slide it forward, almost to the 11 o'clock position.  This isn't always a viable option wearing certain clothes, hence the consol cover (or driving long distances, etc).

If you want, they make magnets that attach under the dash, next to the steering column that the metal slide attaches to and can be easily popped off.  They are kind of cool, just never got around to getting and if this is your carry gun, what do you do with the holster?  Put in consol maybe?

s-l400.jpg

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I recall just after the 1960 election when LBJ invited JFK out to his ranch for a bbq and to shoot some whitetails from his blinds. It was pretty much canned, as it leaked out later that the ranch hands had previously corralled a bunch of the critters, then drove them out in front of the “hunters” less than 60 or 70 yards away.

• Rage+1 1