The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

13 hours ago, davidg said:

Why would you “keep” a gun in your car?  Just asking to get it stolen IMO.  Get a vault that fits your center console if you actually have to leave a gun temporarily for some reason.

I don’t leave my pistol in the car, ever. But while driving I like to put it in the little covered compartment between the digital screen and the console. (Honda Accord).

When still working, I had my truck gun hidden from view in a floor mount behind the front seat. Said truck was parked 15’ away outside my portable classroom window on the street.

B1E3BD19-EE68-48AB-8E1F-5377C5AB098E.jpeg

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I appendix carry and am left handed, so if I'm driving, the belt crosses over and clicks on my right hip.  If I want to keep the pistol on my person, I have slide it forward, almost to the 11 o'clock position.  This isn't always a viable option wearing certain clothes, hence the consol cover (or driving long distances, etc).

If you are left handed and AIWB wouldn’t your holster be at 11:00 to begin with?  I’m right handed and run at 12:30-1:00. 

If you are really concerned with drawing in a car the key is to setup before you need to, move the seatbelt behind the pistol and under your cover garment. If you are alone or don’t care you can tuck the cover behind the pistol as well and then all you need to do is present the gun. 

There is a really good class in DFW over this material. 

23 minutes ago, Archer said:

If you are left handed and AIWB wouldn’t your holster be at 11:00 to begin with?  I’m right handed and run at 12:30-1:00. 

If you are really concerned with drawing in a car the key is to setup before you need to, move the seatbelt behind the pistol and under your cover garment. If you are alone or don’t care you can tuck the cover behind the pistol as well and then all you need to do is present the gun. 

There is a really good class in DFW over this material. 

Meh, more like 10-1030.  Agree with the pre setup, which is why I usually take mine off my belt and put in the consol sleeve most of the time for longer drives

26 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m left handed and carry at about 8:30 or 9:00. I can draw with the seatbelt on, but it ain’t quick.

I usually pants pocket carry the .380, so that’s why it rides in the dash compartment above the shifter.

My compact 9mm goes in my jacket pocket, so it is readily accessible while driving. 

On road trips The SP101 .357 rides in the console, then gets carried out of the car in the old leather fanny pack with long belt strap like a man bag/purse (not on my ample waist, to avoid the ensuing laughter & ridicule) 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

old leather fanny pack with long belt strap like a man bag/purse (not on my ample waist, to avoid the ensuing laughter & ridicule) 

Fanny pack making a comeback.  Don't hate.  Use mine on hikes, etc or when I'm running/rucking.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Point of order: I don't believe there are any records of any SAA's being made with a bird's head grip. Although it is possible the custom shop turned a few out, it was never a standard offering. There are, however, a few examples of them being converted after the fact. Also, I could be remembering completely wrong.

15 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Point of order: I don't believe there are any records of any SAA's being made with a bird's head grip. Although it is possible the custom shop turned a few out, it was never a standard offering. There are, however, a few examples of them being converted after the fact. Also, I could be remembering completely wrong.

The  double action 1877 thunderer had that style birdshead. Doc carried one.

The Cimarron in the pic is a cross between that model and a SAA

Yeah, the 1877 has pretty lines, especially for those of us who value concealability, but it was a little too delicate. Billy the Kid was also supposed have carried one as well. I don't think any of the Italian replicators want to mess with something so finicky, so they just use the SAA action in an 1877 looking frame. It would be cool if someone made a proper replica.

That said, I'm in the market for one of those birdshead SAA's in .357 with a 3 or 3 1/2 inch barrel. I'm a bit more partial to color case hardening, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

LaRue fanboys: is there a yearly sale or something like that? Thinking about buying two QD mounts and want to make it as painless as possible.

Lol yeah, around Black Friday and Xmas but it’s not much and it’s usually a mad rush to get something.

If you want savings buy it used in arf or tgt...

Otherwise buy it now and wait 1-8 weeks for it to get made and shipped

On 4/28/2021 at 8:43 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Those of you who keep a pistol in the car- where do you keep it? Under the seat, console, glove box?

in my holster

edit: I live in a nice neighborhood but kids and people from other areas have come through and broken into cars looking for guns. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I've been watching this guy for awhile now, and damn is it crazy how close he was to dying. Y'all be careful with your slap rounds.

Damn between him and whistlindiesel almost killing himself, April was a rough month for YouTubers and guns. 

Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse design for a single shot 50 than that screw on breach with two little tiny ears to shear off in the event of a catastrophic failure. 50 BMG is not the kind of round you want to use in an unconventional action that doesn't have any failsafes in the event of a kaboom.

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Constitutional Carry just passed by the Texas Senate 18-13.

Back to the House for concurrence, then to Abbott’s desk.

That crashing sound you just heard was the collapse of the whole CHL training industry in Texas.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

51 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That crashing sound you just heard was the collapse of the whole CHL training industry in Texas.

Or the sound of Abbott’s butt clinching up. He doesn’t really want to sign it. 

Awesome, about time! It's kind of a mixed feeling that we need to pass a law to reinforce a God-given right that the US Constitution already articulates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Awesome, about time! It's kind of a mixed feeling that we need to pass a law to reinforce a God-given right that the US Constitution already articulates.

It ain’t to Abbott’s desk yet for him to sign.

This is really cool.....would love to have one.   Not quite, but up there with a Korth. 

Beretta made big news Wednesday, formally announcing a new brand under its umbrella of companies. Beretta will begin importing Manurhin revolvers into the U.S. for commercial sale. The line officially launches this week at the 2021 USPSA LOCAP Nationals in Talladega, Ala. This is a huge win for U.S. consumers.

The Manurhin comes from French manufacturer Chapuis Armes. The company has produced the revolver for 20 years, serving everything from target shooters to law enforcement use. Now the Manurhin MR73 series of revolvers hits the U.S.

Chapuis Armes developed the variant specifically for the French Gendarmerie and special service units of the French Police and Military. The accurate, reliable pistols passed testing of tens of thousands of full-power .357 Mag ammo, Beretta said.

Edited by Reagan1k

I’ve hunted my whole life.  And I’m very serious about gun safety.  For me and others I’m around with guns. All my guns live in a safe unless they are on my person.  My pistol in my truck is in a console vault.  

I have a question about bolt action rifle safety.  I don’t ever use a safety.  I firmly believe the best safety is leaving the bolt up.  I never chamber a round unless about to fire.  I just don’t want to rely on a safety at all with a rifle.  I know it won’t fire with the bolt up. And like my over and under having the breach open it’s obvious to others the gun is not in a firing position.  Obviously no matter what I’m never pointing it at anything other than a safe direction unless I’m shooting. But I have a natural distrust of safeties from my dads model 70 that would shoot occasionally when the safety was flipped to the firing position. 

I do use the safety on my ARs since you can’t leave the breach open. And I never rack one unless I’m firing.  Anyone else do the same.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve hunted my whole life.  And I’m very serious about gun safety.  For me and others I’m around with guns. All my guns live in a safe unless they are on my person.  My pistol in my truck is in a console vault.  

I have a question about bolt action rifle safety.  I don’t ever use a safety.  I firmly believe the best safety is leaving the bolt up.  I never chamber a round unless about to fire.  I just don’t want to rely on a safety at all with a rifle.  I know it won’t fire with the bolt up. And like my over and under having the breach open it’s obvious to others the gun is not in a firing position.  Obviously no matter what I’m never pointing it at anything other than a safe direction unless I’m shooting. But I have a natural distrust of safeties from my dads model 70 that would shoot occasionally when the safety was flipped to the firing position. 

I do use the safety on my ARs since you can’t leave the breach open. And I never rack one unless I’m firing.  Anyone else do the same.  

tenor.gif?itemid=11970662

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:
23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Damn between him and whistlindiesel almost killing himself, April was a rough month for YouTubers and guns. 

What happened to that diesel guy? I've seen some of his yt videos, I think, if he is the one who drove his truck in some bay floating.

Same guy. Fucking around and just about found out. He bought a .50 cal awhile back and apparently was shooting at a plate from about 6’ and a portion of the bullet came back and got him in the forehead.  I understand it just split the skin, but didn’t crack his skull or anything.  There wasn’t a video, but that aggy in Boerne told the story and tried to replicate in one of his vids. WD has def settled down since then, young wife probably straightened him out quick. 

Put them on safe. Unloaded weapons are worthless in an emergency. Guns that I would carry or use if someone broke in aren’t in the safe. No reason to have guns laying around in the way.

You know there are rifles that you don’t work the bolt up on right?

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

On my bolt actions, I release the pressure on the firing pin (raise bolt pull trigger, slowly lower bolt). They stay that way until hunting, and are put back that way before leaving the stand, or high rack. Just raise and lower the bolt handle to fire.

CHIEF

• Like 1

I do the same with my bolt guns as Chief. Don’t even give it a thought at this point. Johnny, you have distrust of the lack of safety, because that’s what your dads gun had. Either a bad safety or something in the bolt/firing pin that should have been replaced. I wouldn’t base anything off of that.

In a blind or on my shoulder, a rifle stays on safe with a round in the chamber.

If I'm driving, and the rifle is stored away, it is unloaded.  If I'm driving and it's beside me for quick access, I'll tip up the bolt on a bolt action rifle, or open the bolt on an AR.

If I need to grab it for a quick shot on a coyote or hog, I tap down the bolt or hit the bolt release on a AR which chambers a round.  I do that when driving to prevent a safety from being bumped into fire position by knocking around.  Normally I slide a rifle between the console and the passenger's seat or my seat to hold it snug, and there can be contact with the safety so keeping the bolt open is a fail safe in that vulnerable position.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I don’t have any bolt action guns.... gave them all away.

A3C1D79F-4BBA-43D6-913E-BA8344B3131E.jpeg

I have 3 lever actions.  My favorite is a Model 94 John Wayne Commemorative 32-40 that was my dad’s.  It is 40 years old.  Here is an internet photo of what it looks like:

spacer.png 

• Hook 'Em 1