The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I do the same with my bolt guns as Chief. Don’t even give it a thought at this point. Johnny, you have distrust of the lack of safety, because that’s what your dads gun had. Either a bad safety or something in the bolt/firing pin that should have been replaced. I wouldn’t base anything off of that.

Getting in the truck/ATV, walking to the blind and entering the blind - rifle is not chambered.  Once in, I load and place on safety and stand in the corner or scan with the scope.

If I'm doing a walk/stalk, it's of course chambered and on safe after I exit the vehicle.  Rigid muzzle discipline helps mitigate any safety concerns.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Getting in the truck/ATV, walking to the blind and entering the blind - rifle is not chambered.  Once in, I load and place on safety and stand in the corner or scan with the scope.

If I'm doing a walk/stalk, it's of course chambered and on safe after I exit the vehicle.  Rigid muzzle discipline helps mitigate any safety concerns.  

I keep my rifles unloaded and in a soft padded case with a sling until I get in the blind.  Then take it out, load the 4 shells I keep in the rifle sling, and chamber one round but leave the bolt up.  When leaving I put the 4 rounds back in the sling and put rifle back in case (I always keep a box of ammo in the rifle case side pocket in case I need extra or to top off the sling ammo if I use some).  So I always know my gun is not loaded because sling only holds 4 rounds and is visible.  I like keeping my bolt actions in a case so they stay clean.

For driving around, I use an AR.  I keep bolt open and do use the safety on that.  I wedge it in the seat if in my truck or it is in a rack if in the UTV.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm no stranger to the smoke pole (phrasing?). Kinda funny how it's easier to source ammo for a 200 year old gun than a 155 year old one.

Dunno, but both of these seem to be equally scarce...

29501356-0341-4BE6-B867-BCAD9B6E924E.jpeg

So I had been on a “I guess I need a 7.62x39 in my life” kick and started looking at AKs which has now led me to thinking i want to pick up a Galil ACE in 7.62x39...

Anyone have experience with them and maybe surprising them?

The Gen 2 is apparently coming out this spring and I’m thinking I should be patient for a gen 2 from a store rather than overpaying for a gen 1 used... but that might take a while I’m worried.

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I had been on a “I guess I need a 7.62x39 in my life” kick and started looking at AKs which has now led me to thinking i want to pick up a Galil ACE in 7.62x39...

The Gen 2 is apparently coming out this spring and I’m thinking I should be patient for a gen 2 from a store rather than overpaying for a gen 1 used... but that might take a while I’m worried.

They're sexy, and one can do worse than have something made by Israelis who are constantly having to defend themselves.  They know how to make shit like this work well - they have to.

That's all I got. 

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Robust.  reliable.  Proven platform.  One of those "can't go wrong" items - when used for what it was built to do:  mainly work all the time.  Accuracy typically underperformed when compared to most AR platforms, but more than adequate if you do your part.  That is in part due to the ballistics of the round when compared to the 5.56.

Yeah my thought is 300blk just isn’t coming back down on ammo prices so while it’s fun for my son and I to suppress it isn’t cost effective for hog control.

Nor is my .308 pistol as that ammo has never been cheap and my LEO discount thru federal is still about $.95 a round for fusion soft point.

My 5.56 does the job but for Sounders I’m getting quite a few runners that I’m pretty sure I hit in the heart area...

So hence my thought for a 7.62x39 with plentiful cheap ammo that is just as reliable as my 300blk at knocking hogs down fast.

And yeah the whole of it’s one things we know Israelis have been defending themselves forever. I’ve always liked the galil and the ACE 7.62x39 looks fun.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:31 PM, Speedtrucker said:

So hence my thought for a 7.62x39 with plentiful cheap ammo that is just as reliable as my 300blk at knocking hogs down fast.

More so probably.  Ballistics are on par with the old 30-30.  As most of the available ammo is military surplus ball ammo, penetration is not an issue either.  We used to wreck hogs with our old surplus SKS rifles with those top loading stripper clips and folding bayonets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Man I had a buddy that had a handful of those. Paid like $50 for them. Brand new. Lol

Right.  Ours were like $150+ and covered in grease.  What's the old saying about never sell an old gun as you will invariably regret it.....

21 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Sooo I decided this weekend to go ahead and put in on the IWI leo discount order for a galil Ace gen2 pistol in 7.62x39.

Hopefully this won’t take too long and I can start dropping hogs at $.40 a hog instead of my normal $1+ a hog

I have the Ace gen 1 rifle in 7.62x39.  It looks like the primary difference between gen 1 and 2 is an mlok foreend out of the box.  This was probably the most popular aftermarket part for the gen 1, that or the trigger.  I love IWI stuff and the Ace is no exception.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Right.  Ours were like $150+ and covered in grease.  What's the old saying about never sell an old gun as you will invariably regret it.....

Dad bought several WW1 Enfield bolt actions - new in cosmoline for 5 bucks each when he was in the Army in 50's. Never fired em for some reason and sold one for about 600 bucks around 2000.

23 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Dad bought several WW1 Enfield bolt actions - new in cosmoline for 5 bucks each when he was in the Army in 50's. Never fired em for some reason and sold one for about 600 bucks around 2000.

Wild.  You used to be able to buy M1 carbines from a catalog after there were massive surplus dumps after both WWII and Korea.  Wish I could fire up the DeLorean and pick up a dozen or so.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Wild.  You used to be able to buy M1 carbines from a catalog after there were massive surplus dumps after both WWII and Korea.  Wish I could fire up the DeLorean and pick up a dozen or so.

I remember in the late 80's you could pick and choose the manufacturer of them. Spent 30 years with IBM and wanted the IBM stamped version back then - just to carry it into the building and such

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

60 years ago my brother bought one through an NRA ad for $20. It was delivered to his door via the USPS, unissued in its cosmoline. He sold it a couple years later to a friend for $100.

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

I remember in the late 80's you could pick and choose the manufacturer of them. Spent 30 years with IBM and wanted the IBM stamped version back then - just to carry it into the building and such

I’ve got a General Motors one. As a big GM guy growing up, I always thought that was cool. 

4 hours ago, Hozz said:

I have the Ace gen 1 rifle in 7.62x39.  It looks like the primary difference between gen 1 and 2 is an mlok foreend out of the box.  This was probably the most popular aftermarket part for the gen 1, that or the trigger.  I love IWI stuff and the Ace is no exception.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

60 years ago my brother bought one through an NRA ad for $20. It was delivered to his door via the USPS, unissued in its cosmoline. He sold it a couple years later to a friend for $100.

Midway USA just announced that they scored a load of them and they'll hit the market shortly. 

Pricing is expected to be higher than that which Brat's brother paid.

After years of effort, our Supplier has been successful in securing a large lot of U.S. made M1 Carbines and MidwayUSA has purchased all of them! These M1 Carbines have not been arsenal refurbished.

This single lot of M1 Carbines includes guns from 9 manufacturers with serial number ranges indicating production years from 1942-1945. Conditions offered will be “Fine”, “Very Good to Fine”, “Good to Very Good” and “Fair to Good”. We used the NRA Firearm Condition Standards for guns of this era as our guide to grade these fantastic guns. Many different product numbers will be offered to indicate manufacturer and condition.

• Winchester
  • Rock-Ola
  • National Postal Meter
  • Quality Hardware
  • Standard Products
  • Saginaw
  • Underwood
  • Inland
  • IBM
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’ve got a General Motors one. As a big GM guy growing up, I always thought that was cool. 

Tangentially related, I had a high school history teacher that liberated a singer sewing .45 from somewhere back in the day. I don’t think he knows he’s rich now, or cares.

Jesus.  Had forgotten about this.  Came up in an old FB feed.  Buddy of mine bought this single-shot .50 BMG + scope + 500+ rounds for around $2,300.  This was maybe 7-8 years ago.

Talk about a "hold my beer moment".  We red-necked the shit out of this scenario.  You have to love the cinder blocks, cross ties, and old gun sleeve to get the height and eye relief right.

I'm taking pics.  Check out the muzzle break.  Milled from a a solid block and was maybe a pound by itself.  Also notice the direction of the baffles, and where I'm standing.  I did step back a little, but when he fired, I took most of the blast in the chest.  Fun times....

50 bmg.jpg

50 bmg2.PNG

• Like 1

Anyone know of a good gun smith in Houston?  I heard there was one out near City Centre that a couple people recommended but now cannot remember the name.  I just got another safe and have been kind of checking and inventorying what I have.  I have an A5 that needs a new buttstock and have a custom rifle that has a bolt I cannot close for some reason.  

On 11/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  Was on a quail hunt with a vendor and the sales guy that took me, shot me. I do not recommend.  Still quite a bit of lead in my forehead, chin, neck, hand, and thigh.   The hand is the only one the docs felt safe about getting back out (they sent me to Ben Taub instead) but I will probably push a doc to get the one out of my sinus above my eye at some point (that one and hand are bothersome at times).  The two in my neck, one landed 2mm from my artery, so they said safer to leave it (and hurry up and finish having kids).  I was lucky that it was cold and a carhart stopped a bunch in my chest/stomach area (went into jacket but not me) and one side of the stock took a bunch too.  Pretty heavy starched jeans took a beating but only 4 got thru (2 each in an identical pattern BEHIND my scrote, somehow). I was able to dig 2 out with a knife but not the other two.   I also had one in each ear but worked those out within a day or two.  Tremendously lucky with my eyes, I wear glass lenses Costas so wouldn’t have been much help there.  

The following few days, we had our annual management/senior ops meeting where they bring in a motivational speaker to talk about safety.  The particular guy they brought in was a guy who was fully blinded by his son on a quail hunt. Im certain you could see the goosebumps I had during his story from across the room. 

As a final insult, I mobilized to Singapore a few days later.  It’s hard to describe how sore I was during that flight.  Everywhere a pellet hit left a ~2” diameter bruise.  I knew it was going to suck because I had went to watch a Lyle concert a few days before the flight, and it was tight quarters.   I went from spending several million a year with that company to never using them again. Not because he shot me, because I never even got a fucking phone call about it afterwards.  

I told my wife I about the accident about 15 mins before I returned home.  Went straight to the bathroom and started trying to remove some. Got two out of left thigh (iirc) but the right were deep and was very painful/bloody trying to get them out. She flipped out when she saw that and made me go to Methodist in Katy.  They listed me as a multiple gun shot victim, and listed it as buckshot, even though I told them 100 times it was 7 shot.  Anyhow, tons of xrays thru the night. They find the ones in my neck, and that gets me a speeding amberlamps ride to Ben Taub.  “Multiple gun shot victim”.  The EMS guy must have been the only one who hunted, because he came in and said “I had to meet the guy who took 12 buckshot and lived”.  We laughed and I asked him to slow the ambulance down.  They monitored my blood pressure on my ankles because the stuff in my thighs.  A cute Hispanic nurse gave me a mini handy to make sure I didn’t have blood in my garbage - it was cold af and I was not representin :(     Also, an old high school classmate who works there came in and said hello, he had seen my name in the charts and wanted to see if it was me.  

Aside from the young nurse/doc handy, I recommend none of it.  Make sure you know who you are hunting with.   Oh, and I still don’t know how it happened because I hit the bird at 0*, and was hit from 90* off to my right.  Boom, feathers, then...whap. Laid gun down and took a knee and blood was dripping out of my face. Knew it was going to be bad. 

Little late to the party (as always), but DAYUM DUDE, that sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:43 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Those of you who keep a pistol in the car- where do you keep it? Under the seat, console, glove box?

In my car, I have a holster that fits between the seat and the console. It's hidden from the outside and my car is parked in the garage at night, so I'm not too worried about someone getting to it. 

In my old beat up farm truck, I have a hidden compartment under the arm rest in the split bench seat (i.e. there is a second compartment on the bottom half of the arm rest), so I keep a pistol in there, too. 

I'll never draw either one particularly quickly, but if I ever decide I need a gun, I can still get to one fairly easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone know of a good gun smith in Houston?  I heard there was one out near City Centre that a couple people recommended but now cannot remember the name.  I just got another safe and have been kind of checking and inventorying what I have.  I have an A5 that needs a new buttstock and have a custom rifle that has a bolt I cannot close for some reason.  

Larry Feland in Cypress is my guy. He is known more for shotguns but he does fine work on rifles too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Omar Alonzo in Pasadena.  

504CAED1-0030-4944-AD96-96AEE4504F79.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, you might want to try Jameson Smith at Gun Cleaners of Houston off of TC Jester.

He has repaired a few issues I’ve had with shotguns and rifles.  Also, you can kick your firearm through the mud all the way to his place and he will completely disassemble it, clean every part and reassemble it in perfectly clean and working order.     

(281) 378-3000

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:44 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

In my car, I have a holster that fits between the seat and the console. It's hidden from the outside and my car is parked in the garage at night, so I'm not too worried about someone getting to it. 

In my old beat up farm truck, I have a hidden compartment under the arm rest in the split bench seat (i.e. there is a second compartment on the bottom half of the arm rest), so I keep a pistol in there, too. 

I'll never draw either one particularly quickly, but if I ever decide I need a gun, I can still get to one fairly easily. 

Funny enough, I got pulled over earlier this week for the first time since I got my LTC. 43 in a 35 - I'm glad I could help the nice officer meet his quota this month. (literally I drove past the same spot 5 minutes later and he had someone else pulled over)

Anyway, he asked for my DL and I gave it to him and offered that I had "two firearms" in the car. He asked if either were accessible. I pointed at the one under my seat and he said, "Just don't go for yours and I won't go for mine."

Was very laid back. I expected him to make me get out so he could secure it during the stop but he didn't. 

Feel bad for him that after all of that now he's going to have to go to court and eventually the city won't get a dime out of me in the end, but I guess at the end of the day a guy's gotta eat and go collect revenue for the suburbs. 

• Hook 'Em 2