The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Solid can collection. You like the bino?  I went mono on my Wendy as I couldn’t get used to the “adjustment” off NV when transitioning off. Felt blind. 

Yea the bino’s/quads are just what I’m used to.  With good autogated tunes you can go pretty bright and still keep the goggles on so I rarely transition.

Our shop is off W Alabama in between Buff Speedway and Edloe.  

• Like 1

Took my 8-yr old turkey hunting this morning, along with my late Grandad’s Marlin Model 120 Magnum. If you listed close, you just could hear a guitar playing Vivaldi’s Largo. 

Life is short, make the most of it.

GQqPmTo.jpg

• Like 2

That should’ve said “listened”, damnit.

It turned into an extra special day today, as my 8-yr old shot my late Great-Uncle’s Hi-Standard 22 for the first time. First time shooting a gun, she hit the steel 4/5 times, and really wants to shoot more. Hell yeah!

Edited by 686
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Picked up this spaghetti gun a couple days ago. It's an Uberti, and it is a much better gun than my Pietta clone. The action is smooth and the timing and lock up is excellent.

Nice! 45 LC?

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

.357, cheaper to shoot and plenty bang for what I'll use it for.

Yeah, that’s my preference too. It seemed like they didn’t make may 357’s years ago, do they make more now? I wanted a lever action 357 rifle years ago and they were so hard to find I just gave up.

Brat - School me on this wheel gun....  Was looking for something else and stumbled upon this for $850.  Seems to be several for sale in this range.  Anything wrong with this series of Super Blackhawks?  I like that look with the case hardened frame.  

RUGER® SUPER BLACKHAWK® 44MAG 7.5" CASE COLOR 

One of 1000 

rug00819_6.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Brat - School me on this wheel gun....  Was looking for something else and stumbled upon this for $850.  Seems to be several for sale in this range.  Anything wrong with this series of Super Blackhawks?  I like that look with the case hardened frame.  

RUGER® SUPER BLACKHAWK® 44MAG 7.5" CASE COLOR 

One of 1000 

Beautiful gun - It's a Talo Special Edition - color case by Turnbull. That's about an average price, but saw them for under $800 here:

http://elliscountyfirearms.com/product/ruger-super-blackhawk-turnbull-7-5-case-colored-44mag-0819-1of1000/

Also $798 (cash price) at Bud's guns.

I'd love one of those even if they run about $200 more than the standard production SBH magnums.

My Stainless 5.5" SBH .44 Magnum was an excellent wheelgun.  Gifted it (with a Triple K thumb break holster) to one of my sons for a trail/camp gun when he tours new Mexico & Colorado.

789_BA56_D_8_DBD_4_F86_9171_79_BFC79_DAF

Edited by Armybrat

23 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Pretty easy to find .357 with the Italian replicas. Not sure about the genuine Colts, though. This gun is really nice and was only $400 versus the Colt's price of at least three times that.

The most popular Colt caliber in recent times is of course the .45 Colt, followed by the .44 Special &  the .357. The new production SAA has gotten mighty scarce and the guys at the Colt forum are speculating that it is going out of production, as there is only one gunsmith assembling & finishing the final product. He's & old guy and on the verge of retirement - with no one being trained to replace him.  Just a handful of 2018 production guns have been reported on the Colt forum.

Of course the prices have gone up - MSRP is now about $1,800 for a standard model, but dealers on Gunbroker are asking a $600 or $700 premium. No custom shop orders are being accepted. Up until last year the shop said a customer would have a 2 year wait. I read last month of a fellow on the Colt forum who had just received his SAA that he had ordered from the Custom Shop over two years ago. Crazy, but they say good deals on new & used SAAs can be found if you look hard & long enough.

Be aware though, of Colts produced in the 1980s. The company had a lot of labor problems and a strike in 1986, so the quality of the fit & finish of  many SAAs was hit or miss. I have one made in 1985 which has some fitting issues between the "receiver" frame & grip frame. It's not too noticeable unless you know what to look for.

That Uberti SAA is a nice gun and a good replica of the original Colt. Lots of the Colt guys own Ubertis & Cimarrons (made by Uberti) and say they are excellent shooters with good quality. A nice & inexpensive substitute for the real thing.

Three years ago I was lucky to have traded my brother out of one of his three SAA Colts - he had two in .357, my preferred caliber and the 3rd is a .45. I Traded him a new Ruger New Vaquero (stainless .357), a new Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy percussion  .36 Caliber, and an old Hi-Standard Sentinel .22 revolver.... all together valued at $1,300 then. This NIB 1979 production .357 I got from him can now fetch upwards of $1,600 or more with box & papers.

d2925e8493df3139bb60e63b83a9264cca65f62.

Love that genuine Colt color case hardening....

3932593459ddb116b9f038a371a517085daabf2.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 4

This is from 300 to 500 yards on "My side" of the plate. Zero misses. We had a nice 5 mph tail wind. Shoot twice and cool down.

Moved back to 1125 yards and I was 1 for 3. My misses were slightly low on the backstop plywood so adjusted on the 3rd and hit the target.

Hornady Precision Hunter Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 162 Grain ELD-X

282380c36a553bbd3ce8b6eeba153c3d.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, markstanco said:

This is from 300 to 500 yards on "My side" of the plate. Zero misses. We had a nice 5 mph tail wind. Shoot twice and cool down.

Moved back to 1125 yards and I was 1 for 3. My misses were slightly low on the backstop plywood so adjusted on the 3rd and hit the target.

Hornady Precision Hunter Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 162 Grain ELD-X

282380c36a553bbd3ce8b6eeba153c3d.jpg

Out of rep.

I've always wanted to shoot 500+

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16 X 50 in Talley 2 piece rings. Bell and Carlson tactical stock.

That's great shooting with a light contour rifle. I have a T3 Lite in 270, but I don't shoot it anywhere close to that level of accuracy. Were you shooting prone or from the bench at 1125? Are the rings 20 moa? 

Was modifying the yardage presets for the ballistic turret on my Swaro tonight. I polished the action awhile back on this Sako and now it’s damn smooth. Just cycling the bolt gets my blood pumping like no other firearm ever has. The patina on the bolt handle is changing with more use, building more character. This old gun is becoming a favorite, can’t wait to take it hunting again.

uDtf3Sq.jpg

.375 H&H with .223 for scale:

m7JjmJm.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 686 said:

Was modifying the yardage presets for the ballistic turret on my Swaro tonight. I polished the action awhile back on this Sako and now it’s damn smooth. Just cycling the bolt gets my blood pumping like no other firearm ever has. The patina on the bolt handle is changing with more use, building more character. This old gun is becoming a favorite, can’t wait to take it hunting again.

uDtf3Sq.jpg

.375 H&H with .223 for scale:

m7JjmJm.jpg

That’s really nice

Thanks guys. The swaro really has made shooting more enjoyable for me: great eye relief, reduced eye strain, fast target acquisition, and the illuminated reticle and fine crosshairs help me focus more on a point of impact. I’m a very “aware” type and I tend to get too distracted while shooting, thinking about / noticing every little thing, and the minimalist sight picture is beneficial for me.

My dad asked me to shoot his 7mag for him to check the zero (I think he’s scared of it now), and it has a high end (albeit 25 year old) Leupold scope on it, and looking through it was just laughable compared to this new swaro. I told him to just shoot my gun.

I have Z5s with BTs on my 2 sakos and 1 Tikka. Makes long range shooting fun.

Sir, you basically just said that you’re dating an underwear model and then didn’t post pics. New website, still isn’t ‘Nam. : )

31 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Friends dad retired from owning a sheet metal business. Got him to build me a target for my kids Red Ryder training

How does the cowbell sound? Does it swing or is it rigid? I visualize this as part of the design discussion:

200w.gif

• Like 1

I'm picking up my first handgun tomorrow and have never even shot one. I plan on taking it to the range, but don't know what to expect. Can someone tell me if I'm better off taking it to an indoor range or outdoor range for a first time user? 

I wish I knew someone with some land to get used to it, but I don't. I've had shotguns and rifles, just not handguns, so don't really know much of anything about it. It's a 9MM. Thanks. 

I'm picking up my first handgun tomorrow and have never even shot one. I plan on taking it to the range, but don't know what to expect. Can someone tell me if I'm better off taking it to an indoor range or outdoor range for a first time user? 
I wish I knew someone with some land to get used to it, but I don't. I've had shotguns and rifles, just not handguns, so don't really know much of anything about it. It's a 9MM. Thanks. 
Seriously, ask for help from the range master.

Indoor vs Outdoor range shouldn’t matter. Like stanco said, get some help if you can. If no help is available, be very slow and deliberate and think through each step of what your doing. Keep the gun pointed down range at all times, don’t put your finger on the trigger unless you’re looking down the sights at the target (even if you are dry firing).

Make sure the palm of your support hand (left if you’re right-handed) is positioned under the magazine of the pistol, not on top of your shooting hand (the slide will come back and cut your support hand)

11 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'd try to go to an outdoor range.  The concussion/blast that you feel in an indoor range for a first timer will be pretty brutal, especially if there's a bunch of people shooting.  That concussion can lead to developing some bad habits when it comes to flinching/trigger pull.

• Like 1

I'd try to go to an outdoor range.  The concussion/blast that you feel in an indoor range for a first timer will be pretty brutal, especially if there's a bunch of people shooting.  That concussion can lead to developing some bad habits when it comes to flinching/trigger pull.

Good point. I always double up earplugs and muffs at indoor ranges.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:45 PM, williemackgarza said:

That gun collection would trigger a lot of idiots on the 2A thread on the politics board.  

FYI - I did create a simple poll in the Politics board on issue of gun control proposals.  I included the Hearing Protection Act in the poll too.  Anyway, I know many peeps avoid the Politics board, but if you have an interest in topic, adding your opinion/voice to the poll would help give the Surly left a better perspective on the true popularity of the current proposals floating around.

This SBH .44 Mag. was my last big bore Ruger. It was too much for casual shooting for me so I gave it to one of my sons as a trail gun when he's hiking/camping in New Mexico & Colorado.

Edited to remove pic - already had posted it near the top of the page.

Edited by Armybrat

12 hours ago, BrickTop said:

35af07c31e53958cb5562a576863c987.jpg also picked up a Vepr Ak, had planned on converting it out of the thumbhole stock configuration but it’s really growing on me, all Russian Built and super comfortable to shoot, has Rpk sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Zastava built like that in .308 - The thumbole grew on me too and I never thought I'd say that.  Curiously comfortable to shoot and feels very natural.