The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

• 2 weeks later...

After a few years of putting it off, finally got one of these hot cakes, going faster than crab salve after a Bangkok night:sw.png.e595c0b0c5e814370f5380a92f34a251.png

2.0 'posed to be nice, trigger issues improved.

Also, the longish barrel is 'posed to make the kick more like a push.  Hope so would be awesome if so.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

After a few years of putting it off, finally got one of these hot cakes, going faster than crab salve after a Bangkok night:sw.png.e595c0b0c5e814370f5380a92f34a251.png

Also, the longish barrel is 'posed to make the kick more like a push.  Hope so would be awesome if so.

The "push" is not unlike that of a 1911, so you are correct.  My BF is an officer in AL and on the SWAT team.  His EDC in uniform is this gun, and he has access to essentially anything he wants (especially SIG, as they are a sponsored unit by them)

On 11/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, Parliament said:

Mr. Stoner is a legend.  Of course.  But with respect, he can't carry Kalashnakov's jock strap.

Different guns designed for different armies and different styles of fighting.  But in terms of decades of global influence, there are nations with flags with the AK on them.  That is wild.  

• Like 2

Was walking out to the blind on my FIL's back side (it's only like 16 acres, but some genuine East Texas hardwood bottom wetland type stuff) with my BIL and FIL yesterday evening and heard a few gunshots going off nearby. And then a big boom. Either somebody has a cannon or a 50 BMG. My BIL looked at me like "is that what the neighbors feel like when we shoot your 50?"

Was walking out to the blind on my FIL's back side (it's only like 16 acres, but some genuine East Texas hardwood bottom wetland type stuff) with my BIL and FIL yesterday evening and heard a few gunshots going off nearby. And then a big boom. Either somebody has a cannon or a 50 BMG. My BIL looked at me like "is that what the neighbors feel like when we shoot your 50?"

Could have been a meth explosion too.
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, phdhorn said:

Nice, my EDC is a long slide MP40 in FDE.

In the spirit of this thread, I am a new gun owner. My Father who is approaching 80 gave me his 300 Weatherby tonight for my birthday. I have been sighting it in for him for years back in the day. He bought it around 1978.

My text to him:

So I haven’t seen this gun in I bet 20 years. Maybe 15. The scope is a 30mm and today they use 50mm for big bore. In comparison a 30mm is now used for pellet guns. This is going to be a super fun project gun for me. First, I’m going to clean up the leather case which is beautiful. Saddle soap, May look at some darker brown cream as well to make it look more weathered.

Then I am going to re-blue the metal. It is in excellent shape but I like that kind of stuff. I found online a really nice scope for only 800 made for this cal that should be awesome.

Thank you again for the gun and tonight. Love you and this was a better present than if you would have gave me 50 grand! It was your rifle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, markstanco said:

In the spirit of this thread, I am a new gun owner. My Father who is approaching 80 gave me his 300 Weatherby tonight for my birthday. I have been sighting it in for him for years back in the day. He bought it around 1978.

My text to him:

So I haven’t seen this gun in I bet 20 years. Maybe 15. The scope is a 30mm and today they use 50mm for big bore. In comparison a 30mm is now used for pellet guns. This is going to be a super fun project gun for me. First, I’m going to clean up the leather case which is beautiful. Saddle soap, May look at some darker brown cream as well to make it look more weathered.

Then I am going to re-blue the metal. It is in excellent shape but I like that kind of stuff. I found online a really nice scope for only 800 made for this cal that should be awesome.

Thank you again for the gun and tonight. Love you and this was a better present than if you would have gave me 50 grand! It was your rifle.

1 Pics not showing

2 Shoot it a while before you change the scope.  Sometimes having period correct stuff is cool.  I think it is anyway.

3. Don't mess with the bluing unless really bad and if it is get a gunsmith/restorer to do it

Congratulations, cool gift.

I have a Weatherby Mk V in 270 Wby Mag my dad owned.  Shot a pronghorn with it in Colorado. Probably the same timeframe I think mid 70s.

IMG_1306_zps5707fe62.jpg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I love mine. 

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

6c2d64f3ce6ab720778febb4cfd01950.jpg
b794f303a9e68b3742caabd6a410b0c3.jpg
9a93db84f3e703c36272ec7457bee821.jpg
41f992fecc33c94e5475c3248ce5debc.jpg

That is beautiful. If the scope is still functional, there is no reason at all for you to change anything.

Honestly, I am jealous of all of you guys whose dads give you this cool older stuff. My dad was never into guns so aside from a few odd pieces I've received from other family members, I'm having to build my collection from scratch to have something to pass on to my own kids someday. 

Everyone should own a 300wby, 270wby, and 257wby at a minimum.  Very cool present from the old man.  I usually switch out the old optics for modern, but keep them. I’ve got ALOT of stuff from the 60’s just lying around. 
I have a left handed Wby 7mm Mag. It goes boom.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

6c2d64f3ce6ab720778febb4cfd01950.jpg

9a93db84f3e703c36272ec7457bee821.jpg

Nice Leupold VX scope on it I can't tell if it is a II or III.  Regardless it was when they still used Roman instead of Arabic numbers.  Try that out for a while, you might just like it.

The other thing you will notice is that it fits very tight to the receiver a larger objective lens may mean you have to change out the mount/rings for it too.  If you decide to sell the scope I'm interested.

Edit: I almost forgot the most important advice for a Weatherby owner.  Save all the brass, get as much empty brass from your dad as you can.  Expensive ammo, There is a guy in the metroplx that can reload for you for much less than factory ammo.  (At least before the shortages)

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 2

I got an M&P 45 for free, hadn't even bothered to shoot it for months, took it to the range and found it was damn fine handgun. 

16 hours ago, markstanco said:

My text to him:

I love Weatherby, but please hold up on any re-bluing.  That looks to be in great shape and their blueing is incredibly hard to improve on.  Also chill on the scope, but maybe look at getting that stock refinished.   

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Seconded.  It's really hard to improve on Wby or Colt Sauer bluing.  Looks like a deep clean and oil would revive it immediately. 

I have a still new in the factory box Colt Sauer .270 from the late 70’s my father bought and never got around to shooting.  Action is so smooth it is almost silent and as mentioned, the bluing is incredible.  Beautiful rifle.  

A ballistol wipe down of the wood and metal will do wonders for the Weatherby!!  Try that before doing any work to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I have a still new in the factory box Colt Sauer .270 from the late 70’s my father bought and never got around to shooting.  Action is so smooth it is almost silent and as mentioned, the bluing is incredible.  Beautiful rifle.

I don't have a whole bunch that got away, but one of them was a 7mm Sauer.  It was impeccable.  I had just purchased a 300WM, and the wife would have shit with a few grand leaving the account for the second time that month or so.  I mean it was perfect.  Stunning.  Ugh. 

54 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Ok, bought a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .270 Win for S Texas whitetail and hogs mostly with the occasional W Texas/ New Mexico hunt. Help me pick out some mid range glass.  Partial to Leupold but not totally set on it. 

I’m have not been the biggest Leupold fan (Swaro fanboi) but they just replaced one of my lease mates 10-12 yo $500 spotting scope with a $3k model under warranty. They bumped his up because it took longer to replace than they told him. Just bam, top of the line for your inconvenience.

So, I’m ordering one of their VX5HD 4-20x52 to go on a 270 I recently acquired.  They obviously make good stuff, I’ve just preferred Swaro. I don’t know what you are calling “mid-range” but that’s $1500 and it’s definitely not their low or high end, but closer to high I guess.   I’m a spend as much or more on your glass as you did rifle guy tho so, ymmv. 

Ok, bought a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .270 Win for S Texas whitetail and hogs mostly with the occasional W Texas/ New Mexico hunt. Help me pick out some mid range glass.  Partial to Leupold but not totally set on it. 

Do you use/want to use a rangefinder or not?
How far do you want to shoot? With the right loads, you can stretch out past 500 yards, but good glass and ballistic solution will be needed.

19 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

South Texas / Hill Country shots are not longer than 250 yards usually so that’s really the range I’m looking for (and my skill level is good for).  Thought the Vortex stuff was made in China. 

The Vortex stuff ramps up at a certain point to pretty quality stuff, as I understand it.  I do not own any. 

FWIW, we have several of our senderos down south that run out past 1100 yds.  I don't utilize them but we have one guy who loves that long distance shit. 

Deeper digging on Vortex I believe their lower end stuff is imported and higher end made in USA. 

That’s correct. Their Japanese and Filipino stuff is better than their Chinese stuff from what I’ve heard.

Swarovski Z3 or Zeiss might be a good fit; great glass for Dawn and Dusk.

94ec22f744b46736e75912f691d23c08.png

0809eae27dc137fb7ed2e4a4f83c427c.png

The Swarovski Z3s are assembled in the US with European glass I believe. The Zeiss Conquest is Japanese I believe.

That’s correct. Their Japanese and Filipino stuff is better than their Chinese stuff from what I’ve heard.

Right
Vortex goes:
Strike eagle, diamondback, crossfire, copperhead, sonora all made in China.

Viper models are all from the Philippines

Golden eagle and Razors are Japanese.
The Razor AMG (tippy top scope) is Japanese glass but assembled in USA.

I found all this out when I mistakenly thought the strike eagles were Philippines after I bought it
  • Like 1

The Vortex stuff ramps up at a certain point to pretty quality stuff, as I understand it.  I do not own any. 
FWIW, we have several of our senderos down south that run out past 1100 yds.  I don't utilize them but we have one guy who loves that long distance shit. 

The only problem with Vortex is that by the time you get to their higher quality stuff, you are in the range with Leupold and other scopes.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If you’re regularly sending it past 500+ then you absolutely need to invest in a top tier optic like the above mentioned Zeiss or a Nightforce. But if you’re like 98% of the shooters out there and never go beyond 250 yards then I have no idea why you would spend the money on anything besides a Vortex unless you just like to spend money.

5 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

has their excellent replacement warranty.

Extremely legit. I posted above one of our members just went from bottom tier to top tier because they couldn’t get him a replacement in time. +2500 upgrade.  Not a bad deal. It put them in competition vs my usual euro preference on that alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gents,

I have returned, and I will have a bounty of pictures loaded up later tonight, but to catch your appetite I have two things to offer;

1. I recently came into possession of an International Harvester M1 Garand

2.I also recently came into possession of a 338 lapua

I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve later as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2