The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I am not the one looking at the Springfield that was moose. And I agree, Springfield is a great gun. If I didn’t buy a Colt when I did, I would have bought the a Springfield government style.

I did make up to Gun Warehouse. They have a Valor that I really want. I have to wait to lose a gunbroker bid on another pistol and I’ll be back for it. Either way I’ll be back with pictures of something today or in two weeks.

So…. I won the auction.

The waiting game begins. b9a692fdc8fcaf3d4e812858680a380c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

When I stopped by today he was deep into an AR build. The guy at the counter suggested I call back another time when he’s working the counter. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll reach out again some time.

Did you come in around 10:30? Short hair (almost no hair) and a light blue vest or sweater on? I thought about asking if you were from the internet.
  • Haha 1

Appreciate the responses. Dad had a 20ga SA that we used to shoot skeet with when I was younger (don’t recall the manufacturer as I was a teenager then and didn’t really care). 

setting my eyes on the Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III in 20 ga. What’s with the different barrel lengths from 28-32”? Figured a 28” was standard size for a regular sized dude. Put my name on the wait list at Briley’s. Can’t wait. Went looking for ammo at Academy today. Jack shit

9 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Appreciate the responses. Dad had a 20ga SA that we used to shoot skeet with when I was younger (don’t recall the manufacturer as I was a teenager then and didn’t really care). 

setting my eyes on the Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III in 20 ga. What’s with the different barrel lengths from 28-32”? Figured a 28” was standard size for a regular sized dude. Put my name on the wait list at Briley’s. Can’t wait. Went looking for ammo at Academy today. Jack shit

26/28 are geared towards the “field” models, with a few other things like different rib. Lighter, easier to swing is the idea.  32’s typically geared more towards “sporting”  like clays.  I like 28/30 personally for both.  But I’m not hardcore clay guy, just really, really enjoy it. 

If you haven’t, check out Joel Etchens guns. He takes lower grade and puts bad ass wood on them for just a bit more than what you’ll pay in store. One of these days I’m going to pull the trigger on a 20/28 combo of his. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Good call!  How long's the list?  My preference is short barrels, but I only shoot clays in preparation for hunting season. Favorite 20 has 26" barrels.

5 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Good call!  How long's the list?  My preference is short barrels, but I only shoot clays in preparation for hunting season. Favorite 20 has 26" barrels.

She didn’t give me an exact number. I’m not necessarily in any rush to buy, so just left my info with her. She said it could be 1-2 months for what it’s worth. 

Was it Rhea you talked to at Briley (long gray hair)? She is very honest and straightforward. All of them are pretty straightforward. They are good people. They'll get it for you as soon as they can.

686 is a good choice. The price point is low(ish) and the quality and service is very good compared to some of the other brands. The action is supposedly the same in all 68x models, the difference in price comes down to outside materials and finishes. 

On the shorter barrel, that's what you want for hunting. Generally speaking, if you don't know where the target is coming from and you have to see it and then move and mount the gun, shorter barrels are lighter and easier to move. 26-28" is just right. You don't want to be trying to mount and swing a heavy 32 inch barrel O/U in a dove field. Longer barrels are better for premounted games. 

FITASC is the only regular sporting game that requires low gun and although most people use the longer barrels, they all know (or are supposed to know) where the target is coming from. Upland hunting can be very surprising and fast paced in comparison. 

You made a good choice. The only comment I will make is that for an extra $1000 or so, you can upgrade to a 20/28 combo (as mentioned above) with an extra barrel. Hunting quail with a 28 is a lot of fun, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, Gladeite said:

120 grain Lehigh Defenders in .45 and 65 grain Lehigh Defenders in 9mm.  So much lighter than lead and can really tell the difference in weight.  The .45 zips along at 1400 fps and the little 9 runs 1700 fps out of my gun.

Oh damn.  Going super light and fast.  Out of a 1911, is there even much felt recoil?  I knew a guy that had a 1911 conversion to .22 TCM.  Basically a 9mm necked down to a 40gr 22.  It's actually based on a .223 case, so it's slightly longer than a nine.  

Talking 2,000 fps and could punch through quarter inch plate with ZERO muzzle flip of any kind.  Fireball out of the barrel at night was quite spectacular as well!

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Hunting quail with a 28 is a lot of fun, too. 

It has me in its grips and won’t let go. I’ve been using my little .410 all this year, until I can sneak a 28 past the wife.   But damn I was buying those 410 shells at $12-14 a box, and buying everything I could find. They are currently $40-50/box on gun broker. Might be finishing out quail season with my 20 this year. 

I use the .410, 2.5", 1/2 oz loads for quail, dove, chukker, etc...  1350 fps out of 30" barrel makes a great pattern and lots of pop down range.  I have no trouble knocking anything down in reasonable shotgun range.  Luckily, I had 25 boxes when the virus hit.  Not very many quail this year, so have some left for next year.  I have a pallet of 28 gauge, but just don't shoot it anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh damn.  Going super light and fast.  Out of a 1911, is there even much felt recoil?  I knew a guy that had a 1911 conversion to .22 TCM.  Basically a 9mm necked down to a 40gr 22.  It's actually based on a .223 case, so it's slightly longer than a nine.  

Talking 2,000 fps and could punch through quarter inch plate with ZERO muzzle flip of any kind.  Fireball out of the barrel at night was quite spectacular as well!

Very little recoil and 1/2 the total magazine weight.  It is enough weight for me to notice carrying all day.  I was doing a shooting class with Paul Howe and he commented about teaching all day and noticing the weight difference.  So I tried it and like it.  There appears to be some hydrostatic pressures at play with these rounds.  They penetrate well enough anyway that I will continue to carry them for the weight savings and less recoil.

• Hook 'Em 1

WOW, how'd those go?  Guys the real deal!  Rumor is he's the guy that "hoot" in Black Hawk Down was based on (vs Norman Hooten who shares the name)

I thought they had originally said he was a mashup of both Howe and Hooten. As were a lot of the soldiers since they said on the DVD that they had mashed up 100+ soldiers into 40 roles for the movie which was also why Ridley Scott didn’t bother trying to find actors that looked like any of the the real participants.

I might have that wrong, it’s been like 20 years since I deep dived that movie
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I thought they had originally said he was a mashup of both Howe and Hooten. As were a lot of the soldiers since they said on the DVD that they had mashed up 100+ soldiers into 40 roles for the movie which was also why Ridley Scott didn’t bother trying to find actors that looked like any of the the real participants.

I might have that wrong, it’s been like 20 years since I deep dived that movie

Yeah, who knows.  I'm still jealous about @Gladeite getting training from Howe.  Guy's a legend and form what I hear, one of the best trainers out there!

Howe is great.  Very dry, witty sense of humor with no bs.  He has a low tolerance for want to be gunfighters.  He has been there, done that and stacked up a lot of bodies.  He expects you to be good or put out the extra effort to learn quickly.   I was in a class with 12 enrollees. 8 never passed the class.  They stayed on the 7 yard range all 3 days and never passed his standards test.  We could hear him yelling at the class and instructors from a long way away.  I think now you have to prequalify to take certain classes or referred from someone he knows.  4 of us passed it the first afternoon/try and we went on to room clearing, multiple bad guys in buildings, engaging from vehicles and parking lots, medical and triage, force on force, and burned a lot of ammo.  I was exhausted after 3 full days.  Never saw the others except at beginning of day meetings.  Class started at 7:30 a.m.  HIs expectation is that 30 minutes early is being on time.  So we all were in our seat by 7.  We got to hear a lot of stories about Mogadishu. 

I can't say enough good things about him.  His techniques are solid, he is the hardest working person there and genuinely wants you to get better.  Will take all the time in the world to explain a technique or tactical problem.  He will come unglued if you question his method or do not put out 100% effort. All of his instructors are great and preach/teach the same way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Was it Rhea you talked to at Briley (long gray hair)? She is very honest and straightforward. All of them are pretty straightforward. They are good people. They'll get it for you as soon as they can.

686 is a good choice. The price point is low(ish) and the quality and service is very good compared to some of the other brands. The action is supposedly the same in all 68x models, the difference in price comes down to outside materials and finishes. 

On the shorter barrel, that's what you want for hunting. Generally speaking, if you don't know where the target is coming from and you have to see it and then move and mount the gun, shorter barrels are lighter and easier to move. 26-28" is just right. You don't want to be trying to mount and swing a heavy 32 inch barrel O/U in a dove field. Longer barrels are better for premounted games. 

FITASC is the only regular sporting game that requires low gun and although most people use the longer barrels, they all know (or are supposed to know) where the target is coming from. Upland hunting can be very surprising and fast paced in comparison. 

You made a good choice. The only comment I will make is that for an extra $1000 or so, you can upgrade to a 20/28 combo (as mentioned above) with an extra barrel. Hunting quail with a 28 is a lot of fun, too. 

I’d be lying if I told you I remember her name, but it was a female who sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Checked out those Etchen 687 referenced above. Sound very intriguing given the better wood and second barrel but from the inventory I saw, it looks like all they have available is the previous Gen Silver Pigeon 3 and not current. Can tell by the laser engraving of the wood. Don’t know if it really matters or not, tbh

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

Howe is great.  Very dry, witty sense of humor with no bs.  He has a low tolerance for want to be gunfighters.  He has been there, done that and stacked up a lot of bodies.  He expects you to be good or put out the extra effort to learn quickly.   I was in a class with 12 enrollees. 8 never passed the class.  They stayed on the 7 yard range all 3 days and never passed his standards test.  We could hear him yelling at the class and instructors from a long way away.  I think now you have to prequalify to take certain classes or referred from someone he knows.  4 of us passed it the first afternoon/try and we went on to room clearing, multiple bad guys in buildings, engaging from vehicles and parking lots, medical and triage, force on force, and burned a lot of ammo.  I was exhausted after 3 full days.  Never saw the others except at beginning of day meetings.  Class started at 7:30 a.m.  HIs expectation is that 30 minutes early is being on time.  So we all were in our seat by 7.  We got to hear a lot of stories about Mogadishu. 

I can't say enough good things about him.  His techniques are solid, he is the hardest working person there and genuinely wants you to get better.  Will take all the time in the world to explain a technique or tactical problem.  He will come unglued if you question his method or do not put out 100% effort. All of his instructors are great and preach/teach the same way.

Love it!

22 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I’d be lying if I told you I remember her name, but it was a female who sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Checked out those Etchen 687 referenced above. Sound very intriguing given the better wood and second barrel but from the inventory I saw, it looks like all they have available is the previous Gen Silver Pigeon 3 and not current. Can tell by the laser engraving of the wood. Don’t know if it really matters or not, tbh

Has something changed since the ‘20 release?  They used laser checkering there as well. This dude is a really good follow and knows his shit on all higher end shotguns. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Default Old Model 51 Remington .380

Inherited this pistol that belonged to my wife’s grandfather (a prominent builder in Taylor, Texas) who carried it almost daily starting 100 years ago. He passed away in 1962. It still has the original box with papers & cleaning tool, but the box has completely fallen into pieces.
It has only one original magazine, so in March of last year I ordered two repro mags from Triple K in San Diego. They advised me it would be on back order for 6 months.
Lo & behold, their supplier finally came through and they arrived today! Can’t wait to try them out. The followers do have a different contour, so we’ll see if that affects feeding. They insert in the magwell a bit stiffly, but that should smooth out with use & cleaning.
(original magazine on the left in top photo)

Does anyone know who could put the box back together & restore it properly?

0A22536C-4F05-4E4B-9AAC-DEE8E45973A1.jpeg

49BBE9F8-95DC-463B-8776-261BBEC2AF5B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got the email that my kids first “big” rifle shipped.  Ruger ranch rifle in 300 blackout.  Everything was priced pretty much within $10 of each other, but I found one that had one of the Crimson Trace scopes (3x9x50) on it for about $60 more.  I don’t know if it will be worth a crap (retails around $250), but figured it will be a good test to see if she takes proper care of it before I add something German to it.  Hell, I figured I’d save some $$ on ammo with it being boresighted, to boot. First synthetic stock gun Ive ever owned.  Trying to finalize the can situation, but this will give her something to practice on now, and maybe drop a few pigs this spring before it gets too hot.  Maybe by next season she’ll be ready for a doe. 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My nephew’s wife likes to use her Ranch Rifle for thinning out the pigs on their place near SanSaba.  
It’s a .223, like my old one that I gifted to one of my sons 10 years ago.

Yeah, that's like the ones I had growing up.  This is a little bolt action job.  I don't know.  Something like the linked below. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922836820

The original “Ranch” moniker was Ruger’s attempt to make the Mini-14 less A-Teamish and more utilitarian…. Which it really was.  Great knock around semi-auto that was very useful as a truck gun. 

I saw that they now call the carbine bolt actions Americans by the same name and all I can figure is they think all of us old fuckers are dead or can’t remember. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Has something changed since the ‘20 release?  They used laser checkering there as well. This dude is a really good follow and knows his shit on all higher end shotguns. 

I’ve watched about 10 of his videos. He knows his shit. If you look at the laser checkering on the both the stock and the handguard it’s rounded versus sharp (inverted triangle) on the previous Gen. Again, have no idea if there’s really any other technological advancements from their higher end lines that made it into this release. Just something I noticed about the available inventory of the Etchen guns

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I’ve watched about 10 of his videos. He knows his shit. If you look at the laser checkering on the both the stock and the handguard it’s rounded versus sharp (inverted triangle) on the previous Gen. Again, have no idea if there’s really any other technological advancements from their higher end lines that made it into this release. Just something I noticed about the available inventory of the Etchen guns

I gotcha.  Supposedly he has a direct line to Beretta, so if you wanted to piece something together, I bet it could be done.  The folks at Briley are top notch.  I'm just a bit over when it comes to the stocks.  I can't order it, have to see it.  

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

The original “Ranch” moniker was Ruger’s attempt to make the Mini-14 less A-Teamish and more utilitarian…. Which it really was.  Great knock around semi-auto that was very useful as a truck gun. 

I saw that they now call the carbine bolt actions Americans by the same name and all I can figure is they think all of us old fuckers are dead or can’t remember. 

Damn, I've wanted one of those Mini Ranch Rifles for a long time. This just reminds me. 

The problem is there is always something I decide I want more. 

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Mini 14's are loud, rattling messes that are damn hard to keep a scope zeroed in on.  And so much fun....

When they first came out, I converted a couple of them to 6mm-223 for a guy that used them in NRA High-Power matches to replace his Garands. He had some sucess but got tired of handloading and gave up on the experiment. Fun little guns for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

But they're so much fun!

GD bolt almost ate my hand when I first got mine.  They are solid and fun to shoot.  I like the rear peep sight.  Friend has one converted to 7.62 so ammo easier to find

There was kid, 13 or 14, at the Wichita Gun Club around that same time that shot a scoped Garand in the Hunter class Matches. Every fucking time that scope would bite his eyebrow and he would be a bloody mess by the end. And he won his share of the iron. I always imagined he would win all the time if he had a Mini. I can't imagine not flinching and getting punched every shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Benelli loves them some angles.  Seems like a cool, modular package.  Interested how you like it. 

Was about to say the same thing.  Very interesting looking rifle and I love the caliber in a short-action platform.  Perfect for most of Texas game.  

Picking up my Lupo .243 today, transfer from Macks PW thru Gunsplus in Gtown.
Looking for a stainless Colt Govt 1911 if anyone has any leads on one. 5” barrell. Plain jane

I know you said Colt, but gun warehouse had a brushed stainless Dan Wesson Valor that was really hard to leave in the store. Simple. No huge badging.

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Nice iron Brat.
When I was younger buddys dad had 1. I fell in live with that pistol.
Now Id like to get 1.
Ill take that 1 off your hands

Gifted it to my DIL after she saw it and had to have it.

I replaced it with a Remington R1,  which also wound up as a present to one of my sons

185492D5-33F3-42FC-AAA9-2531AC0BEAE4.thumb.jpeg.a91fa18476c22f42dc9456c15b5d6699.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1