The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Give me the "why" on Century...  I get the same feedback about Taurus handguns (I have five that run great and have never had a problem...)

From my venture down that rabbit hole.

The Century imports were gtg, the Century Arms American made were very shoddy and in the AK world users were having them shoot themselves apart after low round counts for AKs.

They are cast instead of forged.

So you can see earlier problems with the trunnion, bulging, sheared lugs etc.

Again, I started going cross eyed and the prices were going up even for the “avoid” brand AK and I went the Galil 7.62x39 route.

11 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

From my venture down that rabbit hole.

The Century imports were gtg, the Century Arms American made were very shoddy and in the AK world users were having them shoot themselves apart after low round counts for AKs.

They are cast instead of forged.

So you can see earlier problems with the trunnion, bulging, sheared lugs etc.

Again, I started going cross eyed and the prices were going up even for the “avoid” brand AK and I went the Galil 7.62x39 route.

Makes sense... I may have had mine imported with a booklet written in Russian.

Man, for all the "Made in America" talk, we sure seem to not like the outputs (not just guns).

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Cosmoline.  Read all kind of crazy ways to remove it.  Some boiled the rifle!  Cleaned mine out with a can of carburetor cleaner.

Yup.  Thats the stuff.  It's all cleaned out now.   Should shoot much much better

My son and I have bought him multiple WWII era rifles during the past 8+ years, most of his Mauser date to around the turn of the Century, some around 1903 and others later.

They were all less than around 300 at purchase, but the ammo is what’s getting expensive. Most of his Mosin Nagant’s require 54R’s for ammo and that’s even getting hard to find. The Russian MN is like a “Glock” in that you can use/abuse it and it’ll still go bang.

Lol to be fair, back in the day when HK contracted with Wilcox to assemble in the US it was still German made but bypassingbthose pesky import laws and they used to only be HK45s I believe.

Now the HK USA is still an HK facility and it is supposed to always have German AND American engineers for that “No compromise” excellence in everything they make here. Including my P2000.

HK is not Century Arms! Heh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After four months of searching, I finally found a left-handed Browning X-Bolt 300 Win-Mag.  Will post pics when I get the glass on it.  Still trying to figure out which scope I go with.  Leaning towards Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44.  This will be used for elk hunting and potentially a pronghorn hunt in the next few years.  Any thoughts?  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

After four months of searching, I finally found a left-handed Browning X-Bolt 300 Win-Mag.  Will post pics when I get the glass on it.  Still trying to figure out which scope I go with.  Leaning towards Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44.  This will be used for elk hunting and potentially a pronghorn hunt in the next few years.  Any thoughts?  

Check out "Maven" as well.  I'm eyeing a few of their options for binos and a new scope.  They do both stock and custom optics work.  Price point is better as they don't have any marketing margins to bake in (direct to consumer).  That they have a nice burnt orange accent is a plus

Maven Built

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Lol to be fair, back in the day when HK contracted with Wilcox to assemble in the US it was still German made but bypassingbthose pesky import laws and they used to only be HK45s I believe.

Now the HK USA is still an HK facility and it is supposed to always have German AND American engineers for that “No compromise” excellence in everything they make here. Including my P2000.

I did not know that.  Good info.  I take back my snarky comment.

My H&K says Made in Germany on it.

Do you use a rangefinder and are you planning on dialing turrets / holding over with mil dots, etc.?

On 4/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

We'll be using a rangefinder on this hunt.  I'd like to spend some time this summer once I have the scope on working on shooting at varying distances.  

Varying distances and at varying elevations if you can manage it.  Lots of really good ballistic aps for phones now a day that help a lot as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Where are the pics? Anything left handed is a bitch. I am left handed due to being blind in my right eye so I shoot left even though I'm right. Hard because my son is right so we have to share. Always interested in left stuff

11 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I have a Zenith Z5P which is that same gun. I SBR'd mine and run it with an Omega 9k. Also replaced the lower for one without the thumb groove or whatever its called.

11957226ea2c9c81ef31fe86332fd603.jpg

Yea I'm already looking at pistol grip replacements and trying to decide on which one.  Already ordered a new selector switch and will probably order an m-lok handguard.  

Is that the stock claw mount rail?  How does that sight cowitness with the stock sights?  Is it much higher?

22 hours ago, midtown said:

Where are the pics? Anything left handed is a bitch. I am left handed due to being blind in my right eye so I shoot left even though I'm right. Hard because my son is right so we have to share. Always interested in left stuff

Not much compromise left vs right with leverguns. I'm cross-dominant (right hand, left eye). LH bolts and leverguns for me, but my leverguns have always outnumbered my bolts. Growing up I shot right handed until I finally shot a rifle that kicked hard enough with too little drop at heel and comb 😀.

Edited by sith_horn

Cross-posting this, and @Armybrat they had stuff going back to the 1700s/1600s:

Camp Mabry is doing their living history weekend this weekend, and it's still going on tomorrow - free, and events throughout the day (check the link below)

https://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/?tribe_events=camp-mabry-living-history-weekend

And if you go, make sure and go by the 18th and 19th century camps/tents, because the guys doing the 1700s/1800s stuff had some awesome equipment, and the guy doing the Texas Rangers tent had several nice Colt Walkers (replicas), etc.  The Civil War guy (there was just one when we were there) was extremely patient with my kids, answering all of their questions, etc.

And if you have little kids, they will love all of the tanks, etc., but the actual re-enactments are loud as hell, so bring ear protection.  They maybe shooting blanks, but they were fucking loud.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cross-posting this, and @Armybrat they had stuff going back to the 1700s/1600s:

Camp Mabry is doing their living history weekend this weekend, and it's still going on tomorrow - free, and events throughout the day (check the link below)

https://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/?tribe_events=camp-mabry-living-history-weekend

And if you go, make sure and go by the 18th and 19th century camps/tents, because the guys doing the 1700s/1800s stuff had some awesome equipment, and the guy doing the Texas Rangers tent had several nice Colt Walkers (replicas), etc.  The Civil War guy (there was just one when we were there) was extremely patient with my kids, answering all of their questions, etc.

And if you have little kids, they will love all of the tanks, etc., but the actual re-enactments are loud as hell, so bring ear protection.  They maybe shooting blanks, but they were fucking loud.

"First, I'm gonna kick your ass.  Then, I'm going to re-enact kicking your ass".

Hank Hill

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:48 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Did the Pacific Campaign reenactments at the museum in Fredericksburg.  Loud as sin, but worth every penny.