The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 4/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, Armybrat said:

The most popular Colt caliber in recent times is of course the .45 Colt, followed by the .44 Special &  the .357. The new production SAA has gotten mighty scarce and the guys at the Colt forum are speculating that it is going out of production, as there is only one gunsmith assembling & finishing the final product. He's & old guy and on the verge of retirement - with no one being trained to replace him.  Just a handful of 2018 production guns have been reported on the Colt forum.

Of course the prices have gone up - MSRP is now about $1,800 for a standard model, but dealers on Gunbroker are asking a $600 or $700 premium. No custom shop orders are being accepted. Up until last year the shop said a customer would have a 2 year wait. I read last month of a fellow on the Colt forum who had just received his SAA that he had ordered from the Custom Shop over two years ago. Crazy, but they say good deals on new & used SAAs can be found if you look hard & long enough...

...Love that genuine Colt color case hardening....

Posting this again because new thread, new site and all.

A NIB Colt SAA blue/color case hardened 4.75" barrel in .45 Colt was my Holy Grail for years.  Last summer I finally won a bid for one, thankfully - as Brat indicated, I was running out of time.  Brat was instrumental in helping me understand what to look for, what to avoid, and how to operate the revolver without damaging it.  Thanks again, Brat!

I still have to get a holster and belt rig made for it...

40542842294_e1da9c2864_c.jpg

41213865452_45bd6dbe0c_c.jpg

41213870032_f576db10b9_c.jpg

Edited by solamente73
forgot to put in the length
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

FYI - I did create a simple poll in the Politics board on issue of gun control proposals.  I included the Hearing Protection Act in the poll too.  Anyway, I know many peeps avoid the Politics board, but if you have an interest in topic, adding your opinion/voice to the poll would help give the Surly left a better perspective on the true popularity of the current proposals floating around.

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1127-gun-control-proposals-poll/

Too bad there weren’t options to lower the age to purchase guns. I’d have voted on that. I voted to modernize the atf because it’s bullshit that it takes 6 months to get a suppressor (took 8 on mine) and I’ve got to mail fingerprint cards for my sbr.

16 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Too bad there weren’t options to lower the age to purchase guns. I’d have voted on that. I voted to modernize the atf because it’s bullshit that it takes 6 months to get a suppressor (took 8 on mine) and I’ve got to mail fingerprint cards for my sbr.

If you live in Houston, I have a digital fingerprint reader at my shop.  Once you come in and do it once, I’ll take your prints/photos and then you don’t even have to come in for future purchases.  Everything is digitized and we send out the forms to you via DocuSign.  

Example:  Guy who is a good customer of mine emailed me this morning wanting 3 cans.  30 min later had the forms e-signed ready to go and the cards printed without him having to leave his house.  Easy.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:53 PM, markstanco said:
On 4/4/2018 at 9:56 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:
I'm picking up my first handgun tomorrow and have never even shot one. I plan on taking it to the range, but don't know what to expect. Can someone tell me if I'm better off taking it to an indoor range or outdoor range for a first time user? 
I wish I knew someone with some land to get used to it, but I don't. I've had shotguns and rifles, just not handguns, so don't really know much of anything about it. It's a 9MM. Thanks. 

Seriously, ask for help from the range master.

I will. I'll be going with a buddy who's experienced, also, just wanted to know what to expect. I'm safe by nature. I won't even drink before.

Thanks, all. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Nice sneks fellas.

On a tangent: LOL at Colt for making nice guns that guys covet and pay premiums for and still having to file for bankruptcy every year or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Colt first went bankrupt in 1842. Their management has sucked starting with Sam himself.

Edited by Armybrat

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:
2 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:
I will. I'll be going with a buddy who's experienced, also, just wanted to know what to expect. I'm safe by nature. I won't even drink before.
Thanks, all. 

Only other advice would be to start saving up for your next gun purchase.

And buy a big ass safe - at least twice as big as you think you'll ever need.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 1:29 PM, BabaYaga said:

Remington was too slow to capitalize on the growing AR market.  Their 1911 flopped.  No other pistol options to fall back on.  Their shotguns are uninspiring and far down the pecking order.  I only buy Core-Locks when there are no other ammo options.  Their rifles are fine.  They are "ok".  They rested on their laurels for way too long on their vulnerable 700 action.  Problem is, the market passed them by.  On the low end, If I"m entering the market, I'm thinking Savage (probably Axis), Mossberg, or the new Ruger Ranch/Predator lines (which I"m probably going to be getting for the boy - Ranch in 762x39).  Start ratcheting up the price, then I'm looking at Howa, CZ, or Tikka first.  Get into four figures, then it's Weatherby, Sako (A7), Browning Hell's Canyon, or the new Bergara 14R in 6.5C.  Then throw in Kimber and the multitude of custom and semi-custom options.  Layer on the chassis-rifles systems and long-range AR's.  Not a good time to be leveraged in debt.  

Well, while I am an unapologetic Benelli homer, I just purchased my first turkey gun in the Remington 870 express. $389 on sale at Carter’s. At that price, I need it to shoot maybe two to three times a year. And if i get 7-9 years out of it, that’s $15 a bird. 

Mossberg sights were not good at that price point. Do not like. 

And Remington has been in financial trouble before.  Once being when the Bolsheviks welched in a big contract.  Not sure if they got out of it every time, or if someone bought their name and tradmarks; and made all their stuff their own.

More recently, they had "support" from Cerebus Capital and went on a buying binge; Bushmaster, DPMS and others.  Cerebus bailed on all that after Sandy Hook whilst Remington moved their plants to one location and suffered QC problems as a result.  

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Well-  shows for me on laptop.  I’m old and certainly doing something wrong.  I’ll figure it out after my nap. 

Imgur has blocked hotlinking from Surly.  You need to use a different image hosting site. There is a thread in the Board Discussion forum about it.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:28 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Thanks, all. 

Take things slow.  And please observe proper muzzle etiquette.  If you have a FTF or FTE, have your friend close to remedy.  Keep the barrel down-range.  Then after, if your friend has the inclination, have him show you how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble each firearm you take.   Practice your stance.  Slow and steady.  Read up (or watch video) on the Isoceles Stance.  Chances are the range master will start here.  At home, there are a wealth of dry-firing training tips you can practice.  

What's the old motto:  slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Parliament said:
23 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
AD0E4451-6792-40EF-93F7-D75EA8E3B800_zpsahn8wbsn.jpg

Took this out today, thinking about switching out to an ACOG since I’m not going much more than 400 meters.

Read more  

Get one with a ballistic reticle.

I’m leaning green crosshairs.  I have one for the .223 with the red triangle.  

Yeah, I have carry guns and evil black rifles that suit my needs just fine, so I find myself lusting over historic guns more and more these days. From both single action and double action revolvers to old school interwar automatics. I would really love to find a British Bulldog or one of the many copies made in a caliber that is relatively easy to find or reload. Maybe I just need to get a C&R License. My wife would hate me though.

270, 30 06, 30 06

Beautiful stuff. That Model 70 is something very special, I am salivating. An heirloom piece or did you find it yourself?

Did you order the Montana rifle or find it built? What’s your experience been with them/it? I’ve heard things all over the map regarding MRC.

Castle Keeps; Kimber Super Carry Pro .45, Sig P-229 .born as a 357 Sig, now a .40..lazer grips, 19 lb spring, mercury tubed guide rod...sweet shooter

Semi ‘s

Partscaster 5.56 Ballistic specific ball plex 3x9x40 Nikon, Streamlight, great trigger...shoots hogs, yotes, zombies way out yonder. Mossberg 590 A1...Magpul furniture, streamlight, extended magazine

Castle Keep