The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

These pictures are great. They remind me of my first case when I came back to Texas.

We had a african leopard who’s tag was from way back in the day and was permanently assigned to Texas. Yada yada yada, the defendant tried to say it was this old Dallas couples mount. We bring in the surviving widow and she provided photos of their highland park house which looked like that. She testified in court about her husbands hunts etc and was able to tell the court that this leopard was not her husbands and could go down each spot and ear etc listing the differences. When we asked her how she was sure, she said “I had to look at all those damned animals every day in my living room!”

It was funny.

Dallas Safari Club, HOLLA!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep, friend has one in .222

If I could find one with a vent-rib, in 6mm....all around perfect Texas game rifle.  

I could have that thing up and out the window slinging lead in a nanosecond.

All the while my Coors Light never leaving my left hand and nary a drop spilled even while working the bolt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyone familiar with Custom made Bench Rifles from the 60s or early 70s.

This Rifle has a Super Target Spot Scope and Custom Shilen Bull Barrel, stamped 222.7

Serial # on gun is 79. I believe this was built by RW Hart. Has a 222.7 Shilen stainless

I inherited this gun 20 years ago and it's always been stored in a rifle safe.

Also have another in 308 cal.

The 222.7 I expect is a custom caliber. Can it be redone for 223 or another caliber?

It weighs a ton.

0315152107(1).jpg

0315152115.jpg

0315152113.jpg

Edited by Alex Karev
More info
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

This Rifle has a Super Target Spot Scope and Custom Shilen Bull Barrel, stamped 222.7

Serial # on gun is 79. I believe this was built by RW Hart. Has a 222.7 Shilen stainless

The 222.7 I expect is a custom caliber. Can it be redone for 223 or another caliber?

It weighs a ton.

0315152107(1).jpg

0315152115.jpg

0315152113.jpg

Could probably be bored .003 to a .223, I've got a guy that can do it in Stephenville, he was an NHRA top fuel funny car guy. He does engines and wildcat calibers for fun. Full machine shop. I can't imagine what the custom rounds for that rifle would cost. There are guys that can do it around Austin as well, if that's where you live.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Like 1

Is anyone familiar with Gun’s Warehouse in Cedar Park? There was a strange scene there the other night. Not sure what was going on but a bunch of armed civilians outside it looking nervous. 

I’m in there all the time. Prob my favorite gun shop. They’re super nice and helpful and very respectful plus they always have 100 AR’s and a full stock of handguns. Always. It’s unbelievable.

Not sure what was going on but I would bet it was just some gathering of dudes. I would have heard about something if shit went down.

If you need a gun, go see Troy there. He’ll have it in stock most likely.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

It weighs a ton.

0315152107(1).jpg

0315152115.jpg

0315152113.jpg

cool Lyman scope.  I have an old Lyman Challenger on my FN 98 Mauser in .257 Roberts

It weighs a ton.
0315152107(1).thumb.jpg.e8378f931bf16accbb767e096c251e1a.jpg
0315152115.thumb.jpg.7d5104490ae6246d6a47935c19e3c6f8.jpg
0315152113.thumb.jpg.19d7707a80e2f800325bc039da81f3ce.jpg

Cool gun. If you want to be sure on caliber, have a reputable smith do a chamber casting and measure.

• Like 1

Sure - ATF Form 1 is an application to make and register a firearm. So, you file a Form 1, ATF approves it, and then you buy a set of parts and build yourself a gun or suppressor from a kit you can buy with an approved Form 1. The advantage, supposedly, is that the turnaround is much faster than the turnaround to file a Form 4 and take delivery of a completed suppressor, like a couple of weeks compared to as much as a year. 

Yes I believe you are correct, a form 1 is faster. Last I heard was 3 to 5 months vs 9 to 14. I was looking at a complete SBR but was advised to buy the lower and then buy the upper separately to form 1 it.

28 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

List of handguns just decertified by the state of California. How that is not an infringement on the 2nd?

It looks like the gun manufacturers have given up jumping through their hoops. 

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/de-certified-handguns

Because those guns are too effective, amirite?

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody have any idea what purpose one would use something like this? 1 1/4 is too heavy for any normal shooting sport I am familiar with and #9 is a weird choice for anything long range. The only thing I can remotely think is fast high flying live birds, but why not just use a tighter choke with a bigger shot to carry more energy?

The other use I can think of is if your shoulder isn't sore enough and you need more bruises on it. 

1943347351_ScreenShot2021-02-05at10_47_29.png.1322a0b8b3937e4cc516361355b9afdc.png

19 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Anybody have any idea what purpose one would use something like this? 1 1/4 is too heavy for any normal shooting sport I am familiar with and #9 is a weird choice for anything long range. The only thing I can remotely think is fast high flying live birds, but why not just use a tighter choke with a bigger shot to carry more energy?

The other use I can think of is if your shoulder isn't sore enough and you need more bruises on it. 

1943347351_ScreenShot2021-02-05at10_47_29.png.1322a0b8b3937e4cc516361355b9afdc.png

Lol, look at that brass.  With nine shot????

To quote the great movie 'Oh Brother where art thou".....that don't make no sense....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Trap is the only thing that remotely comes to mind but I have not shot trap very much.

48 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I thought so at first too, but 1 1/4 is too heavy for ATA and #9 is too small (too light) for the distances they shoot at. 

That's a really fucked up combination, honestly. 

"Maybe" for upland game like pheasant, grouse, or Chukar?  Hot loads firing a wide spread, but shot small enough to not damage the bird as much?  

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Holy shot. These just arrived from UPS. Trying to figure out how old they are. It's definitely the old packaging and hull color. (dull greenish, not bright yellow)

But hell, it's 20 gauge #9 skeet shells. I'm not complaining. 

IMG_5484.jpg.b3789d7a591636d8457a13acd4aca2e6.jpg

image.jpeg.19e27274f2d70d40bf3f4ae37eea8aa6.jpeg

I had a family member pass last year. I got all their hunting/shooting stuff. I got 2 banker boxes full of 12 & 20 guage in boxes that may be older than I am. I need to take some pics next time I am at the ranch.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

List of handguns just decertified by the state of California. How that is not an infringement on the 2nd?

a GP100 with a 4.5" barrel isn't certified?  Neither is a 6" Python?

I guess I don't have an understanding of what their requirements or disqualifiers are.

8 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Quail?  Small birds/small shot.  

It would obliterate the smaller quail.  Not that you "can't" use it, but it's literal overkill.  In the end, I think it's just a manufacturer making it available, regardless of functionality.  Sort of like the option to get a Derringer in 45-70.

Knock yourself out.....

34 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I guess I don't have an understanding of what their requirements or disqualifiers are.

in·cre·men·tal·ism

/ˌiNGkrəˈmen(t)lˌizəm/

noun

belief in or advocacy of change by degrees; gradualism.

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That list is dumb. DO the manufacturers have to do something to stay certified? It makes me wonder if they just let the certs expire because it wasn't worth it (as you say).  I don't think it makes sense to certify handguns at that granular level, and I'm not sure what "certification" denotes other than the ability to be transfered, but I don't live in California.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

It is my understanding that manufacturers have to submit guns to their bureaucrats to be evaluated for certification. I do not know if this required to be repeated at certain intervals or if it is a one time requirement. And I do not know if fees, or how much, are required to initiate the process. 
From what I do understand, some manufacturers no longer care to jump through the state’s bureaucratic entanglement and refuse to submit their products for review any more, even though the guns have essentially not changed.

I do not know what has happened in this unprecedentedly massive rejection.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That list is dumb. DO the manufacturers have to do something to stay certified? It makes me wonder if they just let the certs expire because it wasn't worth it (as you say).  I don't think it makes sense to certify handguns at that granular level, and I'm not sure what "certification" denotes other than the ability to be transfered, but I don't live in California.

Yeah, it is really unclear what the details of their process is. The only things that their policy clearly reflects is the state making it difficult to purchase a firearm of one’s choice by eliminating many models and increasing the cost for the law-abiding owner. The same goes for ammo.

Plus there is some kind of excess paperwork involved when ordering a firearm from out of state to be transferred at an instate FFL. As a result, many online dealers refuse to ship anything to licensed California dealers for transfer.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

It is my understanding that manufacturers have to submit guns to their bureaucrats to be evaluated for certification. I do not know if this required to be repeated at certain intervals or if it is a one time requirement. And I do not know if fees, or how much, are required to initiate the process. 
From what I do understand, some manufacturers no longer care to jump through the state’s bureaucratic entanglement and refuse to submit their products for review any more, even though the guns have essentially not changed.

Kinda looks like a manufacturer boycott to me. Like they are using inconvenience to encourage their owners/buyers to pressure the state leg. Good strategy if that’s what they are doing.

48 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Kinda looks like a manufacturer boycott to me. Like they are using inconvenience to encourage their owners/buyers to pressure the state leg. Good strategy if that’s what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You've heard of a sin tax.  California adds sin regulations.  

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, it is really unclear what the details of their process is. The only things that their policy clearly reflects is the state making it difficult to purchase a firearm of one’s choice by eliminating many models and increasing the cost for the law-abiding owner. The same goes for ammo.

Plus there is some kind of excess paperwork involved when ordering a firearm from out of state to be transferred at an instate FFL. As a result, many online dealers refuse to ship anything to licensed California dealers for transfer.

Shit man, technically you can't bring your own guns in from out of state. You have to transfer them to CA FFL and then literally buy them back but only if they meet all the requirements and hoops jumping as a new purchase. How that's not 2A violation - literally an infringement - I have no idea. 

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

All that being said, I'm 110% sure there are a shit ton of guns in state that never went through any of those procedures. Just don't get caught by the cops with one in your possession, I guess.