The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Grandfather clause is a boon to manufacturers once again. Sales and prices gonna go through the roof.

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What a cunt. Then again she always has been. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

So my brother and sister-in-law just moved back from Cali and he’s decided to sell one of his pistols.

Any DFW peeps interested in a Beretta PX4, 2 17rd mags, 4 10rd commiefornia mags, Langdon tactical trigger job, surefire TLR7.

Less than 200rds down the pipe, it was her HD gun so it’s sat in a safe for most of its life.

Told him I’d put it up here before he lists it on TGT or at the LGS consignment cabinet.

He’s asking $900 on here.

Talk me out of this Ruger 556 pistol ($999.99 plus tax, shipping & transfer). It is the only (im)practical thing I can think of for the free government Covid stimulus money Biden just deposited in my bank account.
I have no use for it, but one of my descendants might appreciate the thing... and the dozen Pmags I’ll order to go with it. Ammo & red dot will be their problem.

084404E2-FFE4-48EF-80D7-578A4F88734F.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Talk me out of this Ruger 556 pistol ($999.99 plus tax, shipping & transfer). It is the only (im)practical thing I can think of for the free government Covid stimulus money Biden just deposited in my bank account.
I have no use for it, but one of my descendants might appreciate the thing... and the dozen Pmags I’ll order to go with it. Ammo & red dot will be their problem.

Following.  I don’t know where Ruger falls in line in the AR world, but I’ve liked everything but one I’ve ever bought from them (old school LC9 - not a fan). 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Following.  I don’t know where Ruger falls in line in the AR world, but I’ve liked everything but one I’ve ever bought from them (old school LC9 - not a fan). 

Yeah, the LC9 trigger had a poor reputation after it was introduced, so Ruger improved the mechanics and relabeled it the LCS... with a price increase of course. My brother bought two of them.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Do it. I have the 556 sig AR pistol and absolutely love shooting it. Something fun about giving your AR a little bit of kick for once

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Easy peasy. Buy the same gun, except in 300 BLK. Much more versatile.

Going to get my soon to be 8 yr old a shotgun for his birthday.  I'd rather get him a 20 ga just thinking long term but he's a little guy and is really really wanting a .410 so we'll probably go with that (and I do think a .410 can be a fun gun to hold on to).  He's also really wanting a side by side and I see that there's a .410 side by side Yildiz at Academy.  Any thoughts on this brand?  The reviews seem pretty good but there aren't a ton of them out there.  Any thoughts on / experience with Yildiz?

A side by side will be heavy relative to the overall size but he’ll grow in to it.  The Turks make good guns.  Nothing fancy and fit / finish isn’t perfect but for a 1st gun that will be used you won’t go wrong with it.  Just be prepared that he “might” shoot as if it’s too heavy in the very shot term. 

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Damn. Gorgeous. 

new gun day

51033301567_84f6a21d8e_b.jpg

Good buy. I’m sure all here are following the actions in the house and senate right now and I don’t want to cloak room this thread so I’ll just say one thing. If you have been on the fence about a new caliber or an AR I would STRONGLY suggest buying ASAP. I’ve read the senate bill that is being proposed and it has dozens of pages of specifically named guns you can and can’t buy. 

Based on how many DD guns are listed in the bill I’d say they’re about to be out of business if this bill gets the votes it needs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

A side by side will be heavy relative to the overall size but he’ll grow in to it.  The Turks make good guns.  Nothing fancy and fit / finish isn’t perfect but for a 1st gun that will be used you won’t go wrong with it.  Just be prepared that he “might” shoot as if it’s too heavy in the very shot term. 

Spring in Oklahoma has a lot of my friends going out to shoot clays. I have a pump action 20 gauge (Winchester) that I got at age 11 or 12. I think it’s time to go get a new 12 gauge. Growing up I shot 410s and 20s and they were always single shot. I loved the simplicity of them. I think I’m going to pick up a side by side 12 before the next shoot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Spring in Oklahoma has a lot of my friends going out to shoot clays. I have a pump action 20 gauge (Winchester) that I got at age 11 or 12. I think it’s time to go get a new 12 gauge. Growing up I shot 410s and 20s and they were always single shot. I loved the simplicity of them. I think I’m going to pick up a side by side 12 before the next shoot. 

4 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Going to get my soon to be 8 yr old a shotgun for his birthday.  I'd rather get him a 20 ga just thinking long term but he's a little guy and is really really wanting a .410 so we'll probably go with that (and I do think a .410 can be a fun gun to hold on to).  He's also really wanting a side by side and I see that there's a .410 side by side Yildiz at Academy.  Any thoughts on this brand?  The reviews seem pretty good but there aren't a ton of them out there.  Any thoughts on / experience with Yildiz?

I’ve stacked up so much .410 when nothing else was available that I’m in the same boat. Oldest will be learning on a .410 this year and maybe moving to an auto 20, next. Need a bit smaller 410 for her though, my only .410 is an adult sized pump.  I need to break down and get her a youth model I guess.  Was trying to avoid a single shot as I think there is a lot of value to learning with a follow up shot, once you can see “why” you missed (behind, in front, etc)   

Y’all looking at kid guns take a close look at the Tristar Viper G2. 26” 20ga. For really small kids have a smith cut down the stock and fit a good pad. Supposedly a pretty decent buy fir a field gun. Go ahead and get yourself a 28 ga while your at it.

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Y’all looking at kid guns take a close look at the Tristar Viper G2. 26” 20ga. For really small kids have a smith cut down the stock and fit a good pad. Supposedly a pretty decent buy fir a field gun. Go ahead and get yourself a 28 ga while your at it.

28 ga is on the shortlist, but it won’t be a Tristar. I don’t know anything them, but I’ve got the one I want picked out.  

Wasn’t able to find much in the 410 front on gunbroker tonight.  Will continue to search. She’s growing like a weed, might not be as big a deal as I originally thought. 

I’ve stacked up so much .410 when nothing else was available that I’m in the same boat. Oldest will be learning on a .410 this year and maybe moving to an auto 20, next. Need a bit smaller 410 for her though, my only .410 is an adult sized pump.  I need to break down and get her a youth model I guess.  Was trying to avoid a single shot as I think there is a lot of value to learning with a follow up shot, once you can see “why” you missed (behind, in front, etc)   

Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam. Really, the spacer system will allow her to grow with it better than almost any other choice.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, Armybrat said:

I bought two.

• Hook 'Em 2

Here's all I know about Tristar.  Several years ago I bought a 28" 12 synthetic autoloader just to have as a guest gun or spare for me.  My son came in to town and unexpectedly was invited to go shoot.  He used it, and it miraculously went back home with him.  He really likes it. 

Says it's a great gun.....shoots well, nice balance, he doesn't have to worry about it functioning, or ruining it if he has to use it as a boat oar.  Of course he doesn't...I paid for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Speedtrucker said:

So my brother and sister-in-law just moved back from Cali and he’s decided to sell one of his pistols.

Any DFW peeps interested in a Beretta PX4, 2 17rd mags, 4 10rd commiefornia mags, Langdon tactical trigger job, surefire TLR7.

Less than 200rds down the pipe, it was her HD gun so it’s sat in a safe for most of its life.

Told him I’d put it up here before he lists it on TGT or at the LGS consignment cabinet.

He’s asking $900 on here.

Holy shit, I should sell both of mine.

Edited by TexasEd

I used to participate in “Cowboy Action” shooting competitions and they have over a thousand rounds through them. Having lived in Louisiana during their first couple years of those pistols life, I only used them on “non-wet/sweaty” days, so that only gave me about 3-4 months of the year. I mainly used and abused my Ruger Vaqueros the remainder of the year, so that helped keep the decent looks of the Colts.

Of course, like a “good soldier” they were cleaned the day of shooting, prior to be putting safely away.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

Army Brat - I know the Colt handles are ivory, but what is the stock on the ‘66 rifle stock?
That is impressive!

Elephant ivory also, according to the OP.

I have seen a couple of antique Winchester presentation rifles with ivory stocks, but never carved like this modern one.

Your brace of SAA are beautiful. I have never fired mine (made in 1979).... just haven’t gotten around to it since trading my brother out of it. He bought it new in 1980 and just put it in his safe with another one.

D8FEC9C0-FC16-4CEA-87C5-00E761D4E9CD.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I have a yildiz sxs 12. Beautiful gun. Don't know what it is but I don't shoot well with it. Don't want to get rid of it though because I love the walnut grain on it.

Armybrat that’s an awesome one, especially never fired! The value on that one has definitely increased, especially in today’s times. I’ve had a recent offer of 5K for both of mine, especially since I have the original Colt paper sleeves/boxes for them. Hard No!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Have you patterned it?  I've found Yildiz chokes are...less than par sometimes.  Took awhile to get mine all sorted out. 

Never patterned it, but I did switch out the stock chokes for some binellis.

Could be the stock. Be interesting to see how it patterns.