The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Eh, good guns have more issues with .22lr than cheap guns. I’ve got a marlin mode 60 that’s 25 years old and never cleaned it. Only issues I’ve had were with underpowered ammo. Looking at you Colibri.

A lot of it is magazine design. I’ve mentioned this before, but I have an old tube fed (like your Marlin 60 and  @South Austin’s mom) Remington Nylon 66 that I’ve had since about 1980. It’s the first gun I ever owned. I have never cleaned it. Literally, never, and it has never failed to cycle. 
The quad stack magazine of the  KelTec CP33 is an engineering marvel and needs to be stripped, cleaned and lubricated every 300 hundred rounds or so to remove carbon buildup so it will feed properly.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

How is it any different than state legalizing weed and not allowing state and local law enforcement officers to enforce the federal law?

In theory it is not different, but in practice a lot more people smoke pot than care about suppressors and that will get reflected in law enforcement priorities. 

Then you've got public polarization around "silencers" and firearms in general - there are a lot more hardcore opponents of "gun culture" than drug culture at this point - and the fact that federal enforcement comes from two different agencies within the DOJ.

Bottom line is that the politics have changed for most drugs and the feds now care much more about gun laws than pot laws.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

{Feds issue subpoena to Texas seller of suppressors who violated Fed law by selling state legal suppressor}. Attached letter says:

“Respond or go to jail for 20 years”

Later:

Buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

Also buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

Simple to circumvent.  Include in the state law that the sellers are not allowed to keep records of suppressor buyers.  And have a practice of cash only like weed shops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

{Feds issue subpoena to Texas seller of suppressors who violated Fed law by selling state legal suppressor}. Attached letter says:

“Respond or go to jail for 20 years”

Later:

Buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

Also buyer of suppressor at home

giphy.gif

The ATF can eat a jumbo sized Bob Stoop's approved bag of dicks and then be force fed seconds.

Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest.

What a piece of shit worthless entity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't disagree.  But how will they enforce?  I buy a suppressor without a NFA stamp.  I use it for hunting.  How do they ever get the PC to get a search warrant?

They going to put undercover agents in retailers?  They really will care?  Much like weed being illegal suppressors requiring a NFA stamp is just a silly law.

I just cannot imagine there being much enforcement.  I don't care.  I am not going to test it.  I have a trust and all the suppressors I will ever need.  I see this no different than states legalizing weed.  It is still illegal federally.  

But look how much job security it delivers to the ATF Heroes.

Why do you hate America?

On 5/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, Fat Bastard said:

After years of fascination, have finally gotten into the world of firearms over the last 6 months.   Started off with buying the last 9mm Carter’s had at the start of covid.  Kimber ultra carry II. The collection has morphed into adding a Glock 21, Sig P226, and a Keltec PMR30. 

Grew up shooting skeet with the old man (never hunted and never shot a rifle).  A buddy of mine who’s way more into firearms than I am convinced me to get an AK47. So, I said, fuck it, why not. Got me a Krebs Custom AK. Shoots beautifully. 

Anyone here have any thoughts on a Daniel Defense MK18?   I just won a GunBroker auction on a new HK MR556 for way less than it’s worth. But I really want the MK18 in a bad way.  

Your tastes are exquisite.  Either your're really rich, or really poor.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

All this .22 talk. Dad sent me this pic yesterday. Went to help great uncle with some stuff. He’s getting older and his kids aren’t interested in being any help, so for the last few years my dad has picked up their slack. He came home from helping Uncle Paul with these

1dde883a29db5ecb03f01e79acfa8643.jpg

Henry Goldenboy, Heritage rough rider and Glock 22.

Love my Goldenboy

On 5/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Eh, good guns have more issues with .22lr than cheap guns. I’ve got a marlin mode 60 that’s 25 years old and never cleaned it. Only issues I’ve had were with underpowered ammo. Looking at you Colibri.

Yep, tighter tolerances.  Why all those $2-3K 1911's give me pause.  Tighter than a drum and not something you'd want outside of range/practice time.  To each their own.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Simple to circumvent.  Include in the state law that the sellers are not allowed to keep records of suppressor buyers.  And have a practice of cash only like weed shops.

Most crimes aren't caught because of a series of records documenting the crime. There are numerous ways people will get busted, and I wouldn't want to test the boundaries. 

Neighborly ATF guy rolls up to the shooting range and says, hey thats cool, can i see your Made in Texas can?

Jilted girlfriend calls the cops.

Guy gets picked up by a Marshall with a can and says, "hey johnny sack is making these in his garage".

Dude posts pictures on facebook, out shooting our made in texas cans with johnny sack.

And so on. 

Picked up a Zion Z15, IWI's take on a basic AR-15.  A little pricey for what it is, I paid $925 total.  Typical IWI build quality though and a pretty nice factory trigger.  Much nicer than the factory triggers on my Gen1 Ace and X95.  It might be years before I shoot it though.  Ammo still too steep for me and I want to hold what I have.

Edited by Hozz
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Picked up a Zion Z15, IWI's take on a basic AR-15.  A little pricey for what it is, I paid $925 total.  Typical IWI build quality though and a pretty nice factory trigger.  Much nicer than the factory triggers on my Gen1 Ace and X95.  It might be years before I shoot it though.  Ammo still too steep for me and I want to hold what I have.

What's the old adage about it being better to have and not need, then need and not have.  

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Other than the use of MIM parts, & casting (which are not negatives IMO), I don’t see much difference between the cheaper 1911s - Colt, SA, Remington - I’ve bought and given away. All have been good quality pistols for the money.

I actually want one of those Rock Island GI 1911s. It seems like the closest thing you could actually get to the WWII-Vietnam era sidearm: cheap, durable, reliable, not finicky with ammo once broken in and accurate enough. 

I actually want one of those Rock Island GI 1911s. It seems like the closest thing you could actually get to the WWII-Vietnam era sidearm: cheap, durable, reliable, not finicky with ammo once broken in and accurate enough. 

I’ve got one. I really like it. Paid like $150 or $200 for it 12 or 13 years ago. No issues with it. I used to carry it bow hunting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have now bought then sold then bought again a Rock Island 4 times. I like it enough to buy it. I enjoy shooting it but if I get in a “thinning the inventory” move I always keep the Colt and sell the RI 1911.

I currently have one in 9mm with VZ grips and love it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gonna buy here within the next week.
Anyone have any feedback on newer 2.0 vs. FS S&W .45 ACP?  Was gonna get the full size but have seen good reports on the slightly smaller one.  I'm leaning toward it plus it's $100 cheaper.

Nowadays a single .45 bullet is giving the entire gun a good run for its $ but I still like/want the big bore.
Thx.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Gonna buy here within the next week.
Anyone have any feedback on newer 2.0 vs. FS S&W .45 ACP?  Was gonna get the full size but have seen good reports on the slightly smaller one.  I'm leaning toward it plus it's $100 cheaper.

Nowadays a single .45 bullet is giving the entire gun a good run for its $ but I still like/want the big bore.
Thx.

Great platform.  Proven reliable over time.  Can't go wrong with it.

As for the caliber.  I do love me some ACP.  It is physically impossible to fire my 1911 and not have a giant grin on your face.  You'll have to weigh capacity concerns against terminal ballistics.  I carry a 365 for the size/capacity reasons and load 147gr Speer gold dots.  My 1911 by the bed is loaded with those old school "black talons".  I know a TON of guys that carry compact 1911's for this very reason.  They are 100% in love with the caliber.  You will have to manage the recoil a little.  Not snappy like the .40, but it pushes back so target re-acquisition drills would be worth investing in or practicing.  

Post pics!

Just now, BabaYaga said:

As for the caliber.  I do love me some ACP.  It is physically impossible to fire my 1911 and not have a giant grin on your face.  You'll have to weigh capacity concerns against terminal ballistics.  I carry a 365 for the size/capacity reasons and load 147gr Speer gold dots.  My 1911 by the bed is loaded with those old school "black talons".  I know a TON of guys that carry compact 1911's for this very reason.  They are 100% in love with the caliber.  You will have to manage the recoil a little.  Not snappy like the .40, but it pushes back so target re-acquisition drills would be worth investing in or practicing.  

Post pics!

I'm not sure what model 1911 you have by the bed, but those Black Talons in the magazine may be worth a good chunk of the gun's value.

I kid - sort of.  I recently stumbled upon some listings for original Black Talons and were shocked at what people were asking and paying.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug. 

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm not sure what model 1911 you have by the bed, but those Black Talons in the magazine may be worth a good chunk of the gun's value.

I kid - sort of.  I recently stumbled upon some listings for original Black Talons and were shocked at what people were asking and paying.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug. 

Sig 1911.  Not the best.  Far from the worst.  My first pistol ever so I'll die with it and pass it on.  Never failed me and more accurate than I am.  

Isn't it wild what ammo is doing right now.  It does suck as range time (all in) now exceeds a round of golf + beverages/food at a nice course.  Becoming a rich mans game.  

My second mag in the safe has hydra-shocks.  Those as nasty as well.  Gut punched a small pig with one a while back.  Opened her up with Jesse Ventura's chest in the Predator.  Nasty....

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Post pics!

Thx.  I love the recoil on the larger calibers, which is one draw for me.  (Does that sound weird?).  I've heard the 2nd+ shot on the 2.0 is a little tougher due to the recoil but I'd enjoy messing with that.  I'll def. post pix when I get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Thx.  I love the recoil on the larger calibers, which is one draw for me.  (Does that sound weird?).  I've heard the 2nd+ shot on the 2.0 is a little tougher due to the recoil but I'd enjoy messing with that.  I'll def. post pix when I get it.

Just takes time and repetition.  Load it light, maybe even look at reduced recoil loads at first (if you can find).  Even with the recoil, it's more of a "push" than a snap.  

My babies came in!!
Can’t believe how light the MK18 is. Now I need to dress them up.

07a6725d02e907deeeb131d8c73de72e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are pretty garbage purchases. Someone sold you some entry-level gear.

I guess I’d be willing to lead in a better direction, I guess I’d also take one or both of the off your hands. Like $6-700 each, mainly behaves if today’s inflated prices.

6 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

My babies came in!!
Can’t believe how light the MK18 is. Now I need to dress them up.

07a6725d02e907deeeb131d8c73de72e.jpg

They get heavy fast when you start adding lasers, lights, cans, Elcans, etc. Still, I love it. 

• Like 1

One of my dad’s policeman patients gave him this Smith & Wesson .357 Highway Patrolman model 30+ years ago. We went and shot it once when he got it and never again. Asked my mom to give it to me. Needs a good cleaning but excited to shoot it if I can find the ammo at Academy. Damn thing is heavy. As Boris the Blade said, “Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it”

3a407688b2436c9191a464ba2197701f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1