The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Wheelguns are the best guns. Now you just need to go down the historical rabbit hole and pick up a couple SAA's, which then leads to cap n ball revolvers and black powder guns in general, ultimately culminating in a nice replica of an American Longrifle. 

tumblr_mh27m2KPDR1rvcjd7o3_500.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Funny enough, I got pulled over earlier this week for the first time since I got my LTC. 43 in a 35 - I'm glad I could help the nice officer meet his quota this month. (literally I drove past the same spot 5 minutes later and he had someone else pulled over)

Anyway, he asked for my DL and I gave it to him and offered that I had "two firearms" in the car. He asked if either were accessible. I pointed at the one under my seat and he said, "Just don't go for yours and I won't go for mine."

Was very laid back. I expected him to make me get out so he could secure it during the stop but he didn't. 

Feel bad for him that after all of that now he's going to have to go to court and eventually the city won't get a dime out of me in the end, but I guess at the end of the day a guy's gotta eat and go collect revenue for the suburbs. 

Followup on this one because I feel like it and this is where I posted it on Surly to start. 

My strategy on nuisance traffic tickets is to always go to court and force the judge and the prosecutor to "play court" and do their jobs. While it is called "municipal court" or "justice court" what it really is is a collections agency designed to use the force of law to intimidate you into paying them money. They don't actually want to have an actual court proceeding, they just want to scare you enough to make you pay them some extra tax revenue that in turn goes to pay the salary of the prosecutor and the judge doing the collecting. (There is a massive conflict of interest when you get down to it.)  

My strategy is always just to file a bunch of motions and ask for discovery and request multiple rulings from the judge and while they might play along at first, eventually the prosecutor (and usually the judge) will dismiss the case and say "GTFO and quit wasting my time."

Most people just give up and pay because going to court is inconvenient, but it works exactly the same way for the court itself. They don't like being inconvenienced. 

I've never had to pay a speeding ticket or do defensive driving since I started doing it this way 20 years ago. Yes, it can take a lot of time, but I find it to be kind of fun, too. 

On this one, I was ready to go to court and instead they called me last week and wanted to set up a fucking zoom pretrial hearing. I said I wanted to do it in person and they said, "Nope, we are only doing zoom right now." Which, is contrary to my strategy. The flunky prosecutor isn't going to be inconvenienced if he never has to get out of his fucking chair. 

So I went down there last Friday and filed a continuance motion and asked them to delay everything until we could do it in person, including the pretrial hearing. I cited all the ways that zoom hearings are detrimental to a defendant's 6th Amendment rights and that the Texas supreme court has now stated that in-person proceedings can start up again or be delayed until at least August 1. And finally I told them that agreeing to do a pretrial hearing via zoom would bias the judge against my motion, so I needed a ruling on my motion before I could do anything at all via zoom. 

Got this via email today. 

1444909174_ScreenShot2021-06-03at10_20.30copy.png.b12b514af7af4a18a905e9f9e043d0af.png

Fuck those guys. People should never put up with this nonsense. All you have to do is push back and they'll roll over. They just want your money and they don't want to do anything to earn it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Followup on this one because I feel like it and this is where I posted it on Surly to start. 

My strategy on nuisance traffic tickets is to always go to court and force the judge and the prosecutor to "play court" and do their jobs. While it is called "municipal court" or "justice court" what it really is is a collections agency designed to use the force of law to intimidate you into paying them money. They don't actually want to have an actual court proceeding, they just want to scare you enough to make you pay them some extra tax revenue that in turn goes to pay the salary of the prosecutor and the judge doing the collecting. (There is a massive conflict of interest when you get down to it.)  

My strategy is always just to file a bunch of motions and ask for discovery and request multiple rulings from the judge and while they might play along at first, eventually the prosecutor (and usually the judge) will dismiss the case and say "GTFO and quit wasting my time."

Most people just give up and pay because going to court is inconvenient, but it works exactly the same way for the court itself. They don't like being inconvenienced. 

I've never had to pay a speeding ticket or do defensive driving since I started doing it this way 20 years ago. Yes, it can take a lot of time, but I find it to be kind of fun, too. 

On this one, I was ready to go to court and instead they called me last week and wanted to set up a fucking zoom pretrial hearing. I said I wanted to do it in person and they said, "Nope, we are only doing zoom right now." Which, is contrary to my strategy. The flunky prosecutor isn't going to be inconvenienced if he never has to get out of his fucking chair. 

So I went down there last Friday and filed a continuance motion and asked them to delay everything until we could do it in person, including the pretrial hearing. I cited all the ways that zoom hearings are detrimental to a defendant's 6th Amendment rights and that the Texas supreme court has now stated that in-person proceedings can start up again or be delayed until at least August 1. And finally I told them that agreeing to do a pretrial hearing via zoom would bias the judge against my motion, so I needed a ruling on my motion before I could do anything at all via zoom. 

1444909174_ScreenShot2021-06-03at10_20.30copy.png.b12b514af7af4a18a905e9f9e043d0af.png

Fuck those guys. People should never put up with this nonsense. All you have to do is push back and they'll roll over. They just want your money and they don't want to do anything to earn it. 

I like this- what do you do when it’s out of county, far away?

36 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Your newsletter. I wish to subscribe to it. 

Fuck these tax collectors with guns. 

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I like this- what do you do when it’s out of county, far away?

The furthest I have ever had to go from Houston was Brenham, which wasn't so bad. Just had to budget the time and I realize that being self-employed gives me flexibility others don't have. Not sure what I would do if I ever got one further away.

One advantage I have is that I don't typically drive excessively fast on surface streets (i.e. 43 in a 35 is as fast as I go and I typically get ignored) and I always make an effort not to be the fastest guy on the freeway.

On rural highways I have a pretty good radar detector that does a very good job as well that allows me to slow down before the cop can see me. 

I suspect that I'd probably just do DD if I got one that was more than 2-3 hours away from home, but luckily I haven't had to make that choice yet. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

17 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Your newsletter. I wish to subscribe to it. 

Fuck these tax collectors with guns. 

My neighborhood was only annexed a couple of years ago before by the city next door. Before that we had contracted patrols with the constable and the sheriff's dept and they very rarely ticketed people for minor infractions (like 43 in a 35) who had an HOA sticker on their car. They were mostly looking for outsiders and they'd only really go after local people doing 25 or 30 over the limit or blasting through the school zone or whatever. 

After we got annexed, our new municipal overlords terminated the other contracts and started routine police patrols and pretty much went wild writing tickets for EVERYTHING, including minor speeding and rolling through stop signs and failure to signal. Doesn't matter if you have a decal. Neighborhood people have been pissed now for a couple of years. Most of them moved in here because it WASN'T in the city limits and then the city moved in anyway. (They also fucked up our trash service, the bastards, and also give citations to homeowners whose trees were too far out over the street... I mean, fuck those guys - nobody asked for their bullshit)

So no, I don't feel much compunction pushing back on their tax collectors. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just hand the officer my DL and LTC at the same time.  If I have a pistol, I tell him. Haven't received a single ticket in over 20 years.  Of course, I also wave at black cows so that might have something to do with it.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I do the same and the worst that happens is they reduce the ticket by half when not outright dismissing it.  In DC, you can get a ticket without a sign because it's "zoned" so you're supposed to automatically know there's a two hour limit--will park for a game or to take the train somewhere for a few hours.  Also, less than 25 feet from a stop sign (was 17'), more than 12" away from the curb, 37 on a 25 reduced speed main road which is 40 mostly (will reduce highway speeds to 40 in places), more than 25 on a service road between an on ramp and off ramp (speedtrap that brings in tens of millions), just whatever daring you to challenge it.  But I like your strategy.  

Edited by Mdhorn

6 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Congrats to all you poor bastards who live in Kalifornia. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/california-assault-weapons-ban.html

“In a statement late Friday, Gov. Gavin Newsom called the ruling “a direct threat to public safety and the lives of innocent Californians.”

Mr. Newsom also criticized the opening lines of Judge Benitez’s decision, in which he wrote that, like a Swiss Army knife, the AR-15 assault rifle “is a perfect combination of home defense weapon and homeland defense equipment.”

Judge Benitez is correct. Of course that clueless French Laundry Newsome is unaware that the DHS defines AR15 rifles as “personal defense” weapons when they are procuring them for its various government agencies.

Edited by Armybrat

On 6/5/2021 at 12:18 PM, Armybrat said:

“In a statement late Friday, Gov. Gavin Newsom called the ruling “a direct threat to public safety and the lives of innocent Californians.”

Mr. Newsom also criticized the opening lines of Judge Benitez’s decision, in which he wrote that, like a Swiss Army knife, the AR-15 assault rifle “is a perfect combination of home defense weapon and homeland defense equipment.”

Judge Benitez is correct. Of course that clueless French Laundry Newsome is unaware that the DHS defines AR15 rifles as “personal defense” weapons when they are procuring them for its various government agencies.

I think it was the FBI or another agency year back proclaimed the AR to be THE single best HD platform you can buy.  Period.  

• Low recoil
  • The round itself (excluding green tips) offers much less interior concerns of over-penetration with walls (00-buck among the worst)
  • Mag capacity
  • Longer sight radius - much easier to fire accurately than a pistol.  This can't be stated enough for novice shooters to stabilize
  • Ability to manage with two hands and mount a bevvy of options such as optics and light to it
  • Modular components - easy to customize (uppers/lowers, chassis and caliber)
  • Compact enough to utilize indoors and out effectively, even with a can

I'm sure there are more, but you get the point.  It's the modern day musket.  Which at the time, BTW, was THE premier weapons platform in the world.  Most people forget the military tends to model their items after civilian designed/inspired platforms, not the other way around (infantry items obviously).

• Like 1

So the ATF released it's proposal for whether or not a braced pistol is classified as an SBR or not. A few notes:

-Anything over 26 inches OAL is to unwieldy to shoot one handed even with a brace, so no more braced "firearms." They are now SBR's. It appears that having just a buffer tube and being over 26 inches is still fine, however.

-Anything under 64 ounces is too light to need a brace. SBR.

-Most nonfixed braces are going to make it an SBR with a few possible exceptions.

-Having rifle style flip up BUIS's or no sights at all count negatively towards its designation and could easily put you in SBR territory.

-Scopes or FTS magnifiers with eye relief not suitable for shooting at arms length pretty much make it an SBR.

-If you have a bipod that means you only ever intend to shoot it using the bipod, and therefore the addition of a brace makes it an SBR.

-Hand stops likely indicate a design intended for shooting with two hands and it is no longer a pistol. SBR.

-Over 120 ounces, too heavy. SBR.

Also, they estimate between 3 and 7 million braces have been sold, but this rule will only affect 1.3 million people. Of course they go with the low end to try and avoid any common use arguments.

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh. This is actually a relatively polite / accommodating example of enforcement following an attempted end run around federal regulations.

We lived and owned guns for years knowing what a SBR / SBS was. End runs were made and, over time, encouraged by the industry. It started on the fringes but eventually came straight from the mainstream manufacturers.

Uncle Sam has a long and storied history of not just letting shit slide. Anyone who grew up in this country should be aware of this. Anyone who moved here as an adult and even occasionally read a newspaper should be aware of this.

The tax man cometh. It's not a surprise.

While I agree that a day of reckoning has been coming, I do think that they have done their best to overreach while still maintaining appearances of fairness. Stuff like BUIS's are just as useful on a true pistol as they are on a rifle. As noted, the presence of a bipod does not mean that it can only be shot with a bipod. Or the idea that a pistol over 26 inches is to unwieldy to be used as a pistol regardless of weight or balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Midway USA acquired a bunch of WW2 surplus M1A Carbines from storage in Italy.

They have been selling them at these highly inflated prices...

https://www.midwayusa.com/military-surplus-guns/br?cid=24008&utm_source=general-promotion&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=m1-carbine-shop-now

Yeah I looked a week or two back when I first saw that and you coulD pretty easily do better on the auction sites. I’m sure this will fuck with that for a bit tho.  I thought briefly about picking another up but love the one I have already.  Probably going to be a custody battle over that one when it “officially” gets handed down. 

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I looked a week or two back when I first saw that and you coulD pretty easily do better on the auction sites. I’m sure this will fuck with that for a bit tho.  I thought briefly about picking another up but love the one I have already.  Probably going to be a custody battle over that one when it “officially” gets handed down. 

I watch the non-Gunbroker auction sites with a pretty thorough eye, and you could see this coming a mile away.  I'd have agreed with you a 18 months ago, but in the last several months, the prices on carbines have gotten pretty elevated.  Once the buyers premium and shipping is paid, it's been damn near impossible to buy one that doesn't have a comma in the final net cost.   The Garand demand has filtered down into the carbines and since the CMP has no more carbines, the prices have risen dramatically.

Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

While I agree that a day of reckoning has been coming, I do think that they have done their best to overreach while still maintaining appearances of fairness. Stuff like BUIS's are just as useful on a true pistol as they are on a rifle. As noted, the presence of a bipod does not mean that it can only be shot with a bipod. Or the idea that a pistol over 26 inches is to unwieldy to be used as a pistol regardless of weight or balance.

Hey everyone, look at my new sbr ...

NOSLER.21-958x638.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Meh. This is actually a relatively polite / accommodating example of enforcement following an attempted end run around federal regulations.

We lived and owned guns for years knowing what a SBR / SBS was. End runs were made and, over time, encouraged by the industry. It started on the fringes but eventually came straight from the mainstream manufacturers.

Uncle Sam has a long and storied history of not just letting shit slide. Anyone who grew up in this country should be aware of this. Anyone who moved here as an adult and even occasionally read a newspaper should be aware of this.

The tax man cometh. It's not a surprise.

SBRs and SBSs are illegal because some dipshits in the 30s were scared of them.

Like was posted, plenty of people have TC pistols the would qualify as an sbr now. It’s stupid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Once the buyers premium and shipping is paid, it's been damn near impossible to buy one that doesn't have a comma in the final net cost. 

I don’t disagree with that. But if you look at the Midway ones, you are looking at ~$1200 for a trashed out piece, and up to $1900 for a “fine” example.   I was seeing .30’s in good-very good condition for about $1200, with some great examples starting at $1500 and going up from there.   But you could find a nice one around 1k a few months ago still.   I keep an eye on them all the time because eventually I’ll have to “buy out” my brother, I think.  One of the few out of 2 dozen that we are both pretty passionate about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

Hey everyone, look at my new sbr ...

NOSLER.21-958x638.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

SBRs and SBSs are illegal because some dipshits in the 30s were scared of them.

Like was posted, plenty of people have TC pistols the would qualify as an sbr now. It’s stupid.

The worksheet is only for braced pistols. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, Fat Bastard said:

Any of you run offset red dots? Putting the Vortex LPVO on the HK 556. Already have some offset Troy sights coming in for that. Was considering putting an offset red dot as well. What do y’all think? Overkill?

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, TexasGary said:

The Senate passed the House version of the bill on Saturday.  It is on the way to Abbott's desk to be signed.

It establishes and legalizes a class of made-in-Texas suppressors that must be manufactured and/or sold within the state from Texas-made parts. The silencer must be stamped “Made In Texas” and must remain in the state. It would then be exempt from NFA regulation. That means no forms, background checks, $200 tax stamps or year-long waits for government permission.

Here is a short article disusing the bill and what it means to Texans.

HB 957 Passed

Abbott signed HB 957 into law along with six other gun bills.

Abbott 7 signs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1