The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

4 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

5b55aba3152d17a39bda8794c88604cf.jpg

I can tell this pluck and pull foam will be a problem with repeated manipulation. Need to get a polyethylene foam custom cut for this case. Anyone know or use people in Houston for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omni Case is 2 blocks north of Karbach Brewing.  I have bought a bunch of SKB equipment case and other stuff from them for many years.  

http://omnicase.com/custom-gun-cases/custom-gun-foam-cases.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Omni Case is 2 blocks north of Karbach Brewing.  I have bought a bunch of SKB equipment case and other stuff from them for many years.  

http://omnicase.com/custom-gun-cases/custom-gun-foam-cases.html

I wish I could rep this more than once.  I feel like I'm about to spend ALOT of $$$.

With all this humidity, make sure your dehumidifiers are working. I say this because yesterday I opened my safe to find mold growing on some of my long guns and leather straps. Negligence on my part and overpowering humidity on Mother Nature's. My safe doesn't accommodate an electrical cord, at least for now.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Rage+1 2

Form 4s look to be on a 160-180 day turn-around time as per Reddit’s mega thread. That thread was dead-on accurate for both of my cans. When I started seeing forms that were submitted the same week as mine coming back, I started calling and both times it was with 7 days.

Although I did have the annoyance of them not sending my stamp back for over 4 weeks. After 20 days I emailed the nfa properly requesting a certified copy of my stamp and magically my LGS had a stamp received the next week at the exact same time that I received a cert copy of it in my mailbox…. Thieves

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, they've been "tripping" them in the street and letting them flail around as a deterrent to other rioters for years.

I'd imagine IDF also has enough covert kills on leadership targets over the years using those integrally suppressed 10/22's to fill a small town phonebook.

20 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Fascinating.   Thanks for posting that.yes that was cool.    Andrew Camarrata’s YouTube channel has a couple of videos of him boating on the Hudson and he pokes around that island a bit.  Didn’t know this part of the story though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7822623002
Law in San Jose requiring gun owners to have liability insurance to help cover costs of gun violence.  I’ve heard it said that it’ll never stand up in court but who knows.  By their logic beer and fatty food consumers should have to carry insurance to cover the costs to society incurred through drunk driving and coronary artery disease. 
Not sure how that would work.  Ones insurance kicks in when violence occurs with that owners gun?  Wonder what percentage of gun violence will be occurring with legally purchased, registered and insured firearms?  The topic came up recently about whether there was reason to be hesitant to register a fire arm in California….. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Welp, my P- skeet barrel set showed up late last week from Italy. Right at about 10 months from the order to the delivery. 

Thus far the fit is perfect and all four barrels have busted a lot of clays in the few days I have had it. So much better than a tube set, IMO. All four barrels weigh the same and it's much easier to switch between gauges without having to hammer and clean and hammer and clean over and over. 

In my brief time of having it so far, I can tell it's a lot more "pointable" than any other gun I've owned. Without the tubes in the barrels, there is less weight in front and I can find wayward targets more easily. I anticipate this being the case with the other High-Tech that I bought now that I can remove some of the barrel weight and dedicate it solely to sporting clays. 

Going to do a .410-only shoot at the end of this month and then my first four (5) gun event with it will be in Dallas at the end of August.

IMG_6171.thumb.jpg.af42db9dce3a68d8d29a1b95c3f4ae21.jpgIMG_6197.thumb.jpg.486dbbe14a65fa6139ebf53d570671e1.jpg

Every game has "levels".  Amazing pieces!  

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@crimsonlonghorn that is an absolute dream of mine. To order a bespoke Perazzi.  Absolutely stunning wood.  Well done. 

Thank you. They talked me into upgrading the wood at the very end and I'm glad they did.

Sent me pictures of blanks via email and I just picked the one I liked the best. It was easy to tell the difference between "SC1" base-level wood and "SC3" wood. 

My only regret is that I had intended to go to Italy to get fitted in person and pick out the wood but the travel restrictions right now prevented that.... I still wanted the gun so I just sent them my measurements from Larry Feland and they seem to have converted OK into metric because the gun fits pretty much perfectly. 

I sold my company a year ago and made a little coin, so this was my "trophy" from that experience. I'll probably never buy another gun as expensive. But this one is pretty cool. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

It was easy to tell the difference between "SC1" base-level wood and "SC3" wood. 

Agreed.  For as nice a gun as they are, seems they only recently stepped up on their stocks (I peruse pre-owned all the time). 

8 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I sold my company a year ago and made a little coin, so this was my "trophy" from that experience. I'll probably never buy another gun as expensive. But this one is pretty cool. 

Well deserved.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched some of this show the other night and had a lot of these thoughts. It was kinda like idiocracy from a armorer’s perspective. The only time anything made sense is when the girl got on the truck mounted 50 cal.

2 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Gun shows near Austin?  I see Dripping Springs, Taylor and Belton.  Any input on which are good and which suck?  I got the buying itch.

I haven’t been to a gun show in years, but it looks like the next one in the area will be in Taylor August 7&8.

My .300WSM is absolutely filthy. It's all synthetic/stainless. Our less roads turn it from black/silver to brown, I can't even clean the dirt out from the foreshock and barrel. I have a friend the pressure washes his without getting too close, then cleans it with diesel, wipes it down, and then oils it. Anyone heard of cleaning a stainless gun that way? His gun looks fine.

CHIEF

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

My .300WSM is absolutely filthy. It's all synthetic/stainless. Our less roads turn it from black/silver to brown, I can't even clean the dirt out from the foreshock and barrel. I have a friend the pressure washes his without getting too close, then cleans it with diesel, wipes it down, and then oils it. Anyone heard of cleaning a stainless gun that way? His gun looks fine.

CHIEF

While that seems to work for him…whew.  I couldn’t imagine.  But I’m team #AAAclaro. All mine ride in case until it’s go time. But I’m OCD about it.  If it’s free floated you should be able to get a wipe/cloth between the barrel and foreend. I’ve used vehicle detailing brushes and high end paint brushes to get dust from other areas.  

40 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I haven’t been to a gun show in years, but it looks like the next one in the area will be in Taylor August 7&8.

Went to the SAXET one here in SA about 6mos ago.

I regretted it the moment I walked in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Went to the SAXET one here in SA about 6mos ago.

I regretted it the moment I walked in.

What, you couldn’t make up your mind about the big selection of costume jewelry, old scrap iron implements, jerky, or books?

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

I'll never forget being at a SAXET about 20yrs ago and watching some old dude arguing at the gate to get his money back yelling loudly - "I didn't drive in from out of town to look at a bunch of fucking feather dusters!!!"

And that was a "good" SAXET compared to the last one I went to.

• Haha 2