The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Selected scenes from the Rodeo Austin shoot-out yesterday @ the Texas Disposal Systems Exotic Game Ranch in Buda / Creedmore.

Always a good time & it's been a few years (like, maybe 6 or 7?) since we were back out there for this event.

Only one flight this go, but still a lot of fun. The Fiocchi did well, even if I didn't. Lots of comments on how loud my 12 was.

Had one team that shot 100%, across all stations. Don't know how they did on the flurry.3e54f083004b816e743088b2539c438d.jpgcdcb0821a05ba81a229561cef3a223a2.jpgf057ea7762d0eda7c6746d7d96116c30.jpgfaa4c8da01ef1a7c06649b87f4fb8687.jpgd10edc9fd8bdbf586ee96681153b0ee0.jpgfbac17940c1e9aa5841610b04c5618c6.jpg91f6206396b9726a97f235d2da8968b5.jpgc543ba27b46fe8556013f15bce1cf12c.jpg2ddb055d8e31e171b14982e3c5c36284.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 hours ago, davidg said:

Very surprised they let you shoot those waterfowl loads at clays. No wonder they were saying it was loud.

Nobody asked me what it was I brought & I only had one person @ one of the stations who was confused by me having my own ammo.  I always loaded my own racks except for the 1st station where I was 1st to shoot & our # 2 guy simply handed me shells.

9-247943.jpg?sw=800&sh=800

Another fella on a different team brought his own shells; was popping a 28 ga.

I will readily admit that I don't know a lot about the difference between these rounds & a common dove or clay shot.  So... hep meh, kind sirs.

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

Nobody asked me what it was I brought & I only had one person @ one of the stations who was confused by me having my own ammo.  I always loaded my own racks except for the 1st station where I was 1st to shoot & our # 2 guy simply handed me shells.

9-247943.jpg?sw=800&sh=800

Another fella on a different team brought his own shells; was popping a 28 ga.

I will readily admit that I don't know a lot about the difference between these rounds & a common dove or clay shot.  So... hep meh, kind sirs.

More powder.  Most trap/skeet loads are light.  Lots of shots.  Less powder.  Less recoil.  Less noise.  

28's are neat. A "gentlemanly" caliber.  You see a guy whip out a 28, eye him with the same suspicion with a guy joining your foursome suggesting "friendly bets" with a dark tan and a two-iron.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I hate the flurry.  

I have done it before, but only when the "team" had already purchased it & nobody else wanted to participate / had to leave early, etc.  The Fast & The Furious... that's for sure.  This is one of my favorite events for the Rodeo Austin schedule (outside of our Q cookoff & the rodeo 'season' itself).

I keep dropping hints to my wife that I really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want an O/U 12 ga. (& not in some shitty brand, used is OK provided it's in good cond.) but so far she hasn't even remotely picked up on that.

Guess I'll have to drop the $ 500+ on my own & see if she notices it.  Having 10+ longarms that she doesn't look @ too often kinda makes it easy to slip in new guns while she's not looking.  :D 

If I get that gun cab. / safe that I mentioned might make that a bit easier as well.

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I covet that dock and feeder over the tank.  Been eyeing a built for one for a while now to get out past the weeds and cows tearing up the waterline.  

Yeah, their entire facility is balls deep.  Love going out there except when the wind is blowing from the wrong direction (which it did pretty much the entire time we were outside).  The only thing missing from that pond is a good sized cluster of tall trees to provide shade for early or late fishing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have done it before, but only when the "team" had already purchased it & nobody else wanted to participate / had to leave early, etc.  The Fast & The Furious... that's for sure.  This is one of my favorite events for the Rodeo Austin schedule (outside of our Q cookoff & the rodeo 'season' itself).

I keep dropping hints to my wife that I really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want an O/U 12 ga. (& not in some shitty brand, used is OK provided it's in good cond.) but so far she hasn't even remotely picked up on that.

Guess I'll have to drop the $ 500+ on my own & see if she notices it.  Having 10+ longarms that she doesn't look @ too often kinda makes it easy to slip in new guns while she's not looking.  :D 

If I get that gun cab. / safe that I mentioned might make that a bit easier as well.

In that price range, check out the CZ Drake

Speaking of O/U, my uncle recently gave me an old gun that belonged to my grandfather (his father in law, who died in 1995 when I was in college). He said his son (my cousin) isn't into guns like I am so I would appreciate it more. Yes, yes I do. 

It's a Browning Superposed Lightning model, 26 inch barrels. Serial number says 1959. My grandfather found it at a garage sale sometime in the 80's for $50 and had it completely refinished and rebuilt with custom Briley choke tubes. There is a tiny crack on the forend wood but other than that it's in great shape. 

Internet says this was the last gun model designed by John Browning before he died and that it was manufactured until the 1960's. You can tell it's old because the forend and the lugs are kind of funky and more cumbersome than most O/U's that I'm used to seeing. 

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - not sure if I really want to. It's definitely a hunting gun - points beautifully and swings very naturally. I'll probably take it to the skeet range someday and then put it in the safe and leave it there.

Probably need to go have it appraised, too, although I don't think there's a lot of monetary value compared to the sentimental value. 

spacer.png

Browning_2.JPG

Browning_3.JPG

Browning_4.jpg

Browning_5.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Speaking of O/U, my uncle recently gave me an old gun that belonged to my grandfather (his father in law, who died in 1995 when I was in college). He said his son (my cousin) isn't into guns like I am so I would appreciate it more. Yes, yes I do. 

It's a Browning Superposed Lightning model, 26 inch barrels. Serial number says 1959. My grandfather found it at a garage sale sometime in the 80's for $50 and had it completely refinished and rebuilt with custom Briley choke tubes. There is a tiny crack on the forend wood but other than that it's in great shape. 

Internet says this was the last gun model designed by John Browning before he died and that it was manufactured until the 1960's. You can tell it's old because the forend and the lugs are kind of funky and more cumbersome than most O/U's that I'm used to seeing. 

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - not sure if I really want to. It's definitely a hunting gun - points beautifully and swings very naturally. I'll probably take it to the skeet range someday and then put it in the safe and leave it there.

Probably need to go have it appraised, too, although I don't think there's a lot of monetary value compared to the sentimental value. 

spacer.png

Browning_2.JPG

Browning_3.JPG

Browning_4.jpg

Browning_5.jpg

Gun like that needs to be used.  Don't make a safe-queen out of her.  Give her a makeover and get her back in the game!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, BabaYaga said:

28's are neat. A "gentlemanly" caliber.  You see a guy whip out a 28, eye him with the same suspicion with a guy joining your foursome suggesting "friendly bets" with a dark tan and a two-iron. 

All of this. I shot next to an old (rich) man at an industry shoot awhile back with a 28 sxs.  He was smoking them. Made me want to go buy one in a bad way.  I think I eventually will. 

@crimsonlonghorn I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think those were right in the saltwood years. That one doesn’t look affected though, I could be off. The Superposed is the only Browning shotgun I care for.   I respect others, I just don’t care for them.  Except that one.  That’s nice. What a cool story. 

3 hours ago, baboso said:

Anybody own or have shot one of these?  Are they worth a shit?

52695_Remington-870-DM-12-Gauge-Tactical

https://palmettostatearmory.com/remington-870-dm-12-gauge-tactical-shotgun-81360.html

Worth it?  As a SD platform?  Recreational?  Agree on the simple 870-type solutions.  Don't overthink it.  Best advice I've had using a pump-action shotgun as a SD platform is to get nights sights, realize that the "pattern" inside a house is about the size of a golf ball (you have to aim), the recoil and report will be deafening and disorienting, and learn about how to avoid "short-stroking" a pump (SA's MOM FIFY'd).  Happens all the time.  

Best advice I've had using a pump-action shotgun as a SD platform is to mount a high lumen tactical flashlight that co-witnesses with a 30' distance pattern. Realize that what you light up will die if you pull the trigger. Use #4 buckshot. YadayadaShort strokeyadayada.

Fixed it.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:43 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

spacer.png

Browning_2.JPG

Browning_3.JPG

Browning_4.jpg

Browning_5.jpg

Browning Superposed is one of the finest shotguns ever made. It's not going to be worth very much because it's been refinished and has aftermarket choke tubes in it. 

Rechambered this platform to a 300 RUM...new barrel is a Lilja 3 groove 1:10 squared to the action and bedded to the McMillan, a Calvin Elite Timney breaking at 1.75, switched to a PTG beefier recoil lug....need to test some 196 gr Hammer Hunters thru it. It's now wearing a Swaro Z3 3.5x10x50 in Talley one piece light weights.

48685578183_09eee5e106_c.jpg  

• Like 2

Starting to make some comparisons & will look in around 3 weeks to see what price drops are out there.  I imagine in this price point there's probably gonna be max $ 75.00 off.

As noted before, I've got enough longarms for this size, a 16 & under.

1st up is the Stack-On Steel, pricing is around $ 370 to $ 400.... Academy is the lower price @ the moment.  The Academy site says "Ships for $ 149" (let's call it $ 150) & I don't know if that's an added cost to every safe or if you want a direct 3rd party consignee they add the one-fitty.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/shooting/gun-storage--safety/gun--safes/gun-safes?facet=ads_f37009_ntk_cs%3A"Under+24"&facet=product_prc_facet%3A"6"

stack-on-gun-safes-ss-16-mb-b-64_1000.jpSS-16-MB-C_RF-Open_1024x1024.jpg?v=15623

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next we have a Winchester 12 gun for $ 400.00.

Tractor Supply:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30

1360472?$456$

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Didn't find this as an "in store" from the Cabela's site, but it does show up on the Bass Pro page, another $ 400 product.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-mechanical-lock-10-gun-safe

s7_231183_imageset_01?wid=300&hei=230&op

15113d58-6b1a-555b-b9ed-5aa348614a94

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, discussion?

Take the number of guns you want to store and double it. Maybe triple it. The number they advertise is best case scenario if you spend half an hour organizing it every time you open it and none of your guns have any sort of bulky action. Also, look on amazon. Sometimes you can find a closeout model with free shipping. And they usually discount the ones in the stores pretty well on black friday.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Starting to make some comparisons & will look in around 3 weeks to see what price drops are out there.  I imagine in this price point there's probably gonna be max $ 75.00 off.

As noted before, I've got enough longarms for this size, a 16 & under.

1st up is the Stack-On Steel, pricing is around $ 370 to $ 400.... Academy is the lower price @ the moment.  The Academy site says "Ships for $ 149" (let's call it $ 150) & I don't know if that's an added cost to every safe or if you want a direct 3rd party consignee they add the one-fitty.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/shooting/gun-storage--safety/gun--safes/gun-safes?facet=ads_f37009_ntk_cs%3A"Under+24"&facet=product_prc_facet%3A"6"

stack-on-gun-safes-ss-16-mb-b-64_1000.jpSS-16-MB-C_RF-Open_1024x1024.jpg?v=15623

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next we have a Winchester 12 gun for $ 400.00.

Tractor Supply:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30

1360472?$456$

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Didn't find this as an "in store" from the Cabela's site, but it does show up on the Bass Pro page, another $ 400 product.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-mechanical-lock-10-gun-safe

s7_231183_imageset_01?wid=300&hei=230&op

15113d58-6b1a-555b-b9ed-5aa348614a94

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, discussion?

Got mine at Costco (Bighorn) for roughly the same price ($499) you are looking at (24 gun).  As stated before, you'll get half of the stated capacity.  So a 12 gun safe will fit 6, etc.  Factor that in to the decision and always err on the side of larger capacity.  I wish I'd gone bigger already.  

Yeah, they really do stuff 'em in tight.  I have 4 scoped; Marlin .22 mag, bolt (stainless), Remington .243 bolt, 30-30 lever & .308 bolt.

2 full sized shotguns (.20 & .12), one yute 20 & one .22 plinker.  If I was really concerned, I'd also include my Gamo pellets (2 of 'em).

They're also not that hard to move, provided you have a friend.  We just used a furniture dolly, then is slid on the carpet in the bedroom closet easily. 

It's the massive ones that bolt to the floor that you need help with.  We have two smaller kids, so the "sell" with my wife was keeping prying eyes/hands safe and locking up documents (passports, wills, etc.).  

Like this.  Super easy.  

63098_W3.jpg

38 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Does bird shot mess up the rifling on a 22?

Doesn't mess up anything, including whatever you shoot with it.  You need to be real close to kill anything and that includes bumblebees or ritz crackers tossed up over head.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Doesn't mess up anything, including whatever you shoot with it.  You need to be real close to kill anything and that includes bumblebees or ritz crackers tossed up over head.

I carry a revolver in in the glovebox of my Mule loaded with 22 ratshot. Need to be within 5-6 feet for it to really be effective on snakes and squirrels, which isn't often.