BigDHornfan

The Gun Owner’s thread

What oil are you guys using for your cans? My Saker 762 got stuck recently so I figured it might need a little lube.

A little goes a long way.

10ac32bd707358a97933057c1570357b.jpg

WTF is an "off roster" gun?

By FRED SHUSTER, City News Service

Two veteran Gardena Police Department officers participated in a scheme in which they purchased “off-roster” firearms not available to the general public and illegally resold the weapons for profit, a prosecutor told a downtown Los Angeles jury today, but a defense lawyer countered that at least one of the men didn’t realize he was doing anything illegal.

Carlos Miguel Fernandez, 43, of Norwalk, and Edward Yasushiro Arao, 48, of Eastvale face federal charges alleging they conspired to sell about 100 weapons — mostly Colt .38-caliber pistols — without a license.

“Their job was to uphold the law and keep communities safe,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Veronica Dragalin told the jury, alleging that instead, the two officers “used their status to break the law.”

Prosecutors allege Fernandez advertised guns offered by himself, Arao and others on his Instagram account. Arao, who was the CEO of Ronin Tactical Group, a federal firearms licensee, similarly advertised guns on his company’s account, the indictment alleges.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office also contends that both 17-year veterans of the Gardena police force marketed firearms at gun shows although neither defendant was licensed to engage in the business of firearms dealing at the time of the offenses alleged in the indictment.

“Off-roster” handguns are not available to the general public, but can be legally purchased by law enforcement officers.

In his opening statement, Arao’s attorney Ed Robinson alleged that evidence would prove his client innocent.

“He did not know or believe he was violating federal law,” Robinson said.

Attorneys for Fernandez reserved their opening statement for later in the trial.

RELATED ARTICLES

Through messages on Instagram and other means, Fernandez and Arao negotiated the prices and terms of the sales, and accepted payment for the guns once they were delivered, according to prosecutors.

The indictment also alleges that Oscar Morales Camacho Sr., 64, of Salinas, falsely certified that he was purchasing a firearm for himself in a 2017 private-party transfer, when he in fact was buying the gun for his son, Oscar Maravilla Camacho Jr., 35, also of Salinas.

Camacho Jr. has a prior criminal conviction that prohibits him from possessing firearms. The indictment alleges that Fernandez and both Camachos “well knew (that) defendant Camacho Sr. was not the actual buyer of the firearm.”

The indictment also alleges a second “straw purchaser” transaction in which a South Los Angeles woman purchased two firearms for her boyfriend. As in the other straw purchase alleged in the indictment, Bianca Elizabeth Ibarria, 24, and Adalberto deJesus Vasquez Pelayo Jr., 25, also of South Los Angeles, are charged with making a false statement in a federal firearm licensee’s records during purchase of a firearm.

Each count in the indictment carries a penalty of up to five years in federal prison. If convicted of all charges, Fernandez would face up to 15 years and Arao could be sentenced to as much as 10 years behind bars, prosecutors said.

When the officers were charged last year, the then-Gardena police chief said the two men were immediately placed on administrative leave, and the department cooperated fully during the investigation.

A call to the city’s interim police chief to check on the current status of Fernandez and Arao was not immediately returned.

I would guess they are department issued guns that were retired from use and stored.

The disposition policies for such firearms vary from city to city or state to state. Some departments trade them in to licensed dealers/distributors. Buds Guns sells a lot of them online, and so does GT Distributors to name a couple.

Could also be a model that isn’t available to the general public and is only sold to licensed LEO’s. 

But Brat’s probably closer to the truth seeing that they were “mostly 38’s”. Those are old school cop guns right there. 

Off roster gun is a Cali. term for non-approved guns out there.....they now have a roster of approved or Cali-compliant guns.

There are ways to buy/sell/trade  them legally in private party sales, especially for LEOs, but these guys turned it into a business and ran afoul of a lot of laws.

Edited by Reagan1k

Off roster gun is a Cali. term for non-approved guns out there.....they now have a roster of approved or Cali-compliant guns.
There are ways to buy/sell/trade  them legally in private party sales, especially for LEOs, but these guys turned it into a business and ran afoul of a lot of laws.

It’s commiefornia. This is the correct answer. Fuck California.

Yeah, california has wierd rules on which hand guns can be legally sold. Every model has to be approved and added to the roster, I think. A lot of times it doesn't make any sense which guns are and are not on the roster. But like said above, they turned it into a business.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Could also be a model that isn’t available to the general public and is only sold to licensed LEO’s. 

But Brat’s probably closer to the truth seeing that they were “mostly 38’s”. Those are old school cop guns right there. 

Yep.  It's an ever contracting list as the state makes it more and more difficult to remain on it.  Take the new micro-stamping requirements (new semi-automatic firearms sold in California must have the capability to permanently stamp shell casings fired through the gun with an identifying mark).  

It takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to pivot each time the state sends out more requirements.  Research and Development, Engineering, tooling, equipment changes, training, testing, etc. They have to redesign a gun to meet the CA "safety" requirements. You can also include having to manufacture (or source) neutered magazines if the non CA model holds more than 10 rounds. Once all this is done and they are ready to submit for testing, I believe they have to send 2 of each model which are not returned.  It's a giant shake down by the state.  A passive ban via unnecessary regulations.  Once it gets to zero.  Or the bio metric technology requirements that we know are coming are no longer cost effective....then there you go.  

My Gen 5 Glock 19 has a cutout in the grip. Why?

0727415645476091736537457e5f7285.jpg

The question is why? The answer is easier mag removal.

Is it a good design? No. No it isn’t.

Now the Ruger SR9 (17+1) is a really nice looking quality pistol that works just as well as the Glock.... and can be had at reduced prices of $280 - $300 lately. 😎

Scored a mint condition used Superior safe the other day from a guy moving out of state. It's the Master 40 model, 49 gun capacity.

This thing is a beast, weighs over 1000 lbs. I highly recommend it. Rock solid compared to the cheap cabinets sold at retail stores.
a2c66dcd7bd209a291e48c4b318d2124.jpg

I bought an Original brand gun safe from Houston Safe & Lock about 18 months ago. The quality (and weight) between that and the cheap one I bought at Sam's 15 years ago is substantial.

I moved my 48 gun Canon out of the office and into the garage so we could have the floors redone. Then back in yesterday without dinging the floors at all. That’s at 845#. I couldn’t imagine over 1000#.