The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/15/2019 at 3:32 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Poll time:

1. How old were you when you received (or purchased) your 1st real firearm (whether longarm or handgun, not a pellet or BB gun)?

2. How old were your kids when... [same as # 1].

?

If it draws blood, it's a real firearm.  So I'm counting the Benjamin 342 I saved up for in .177 in the 5th grade.  Slaughtered countless rabbits, sparrows, lizards, etc with it.  You got ONE shot.  It had to count.  Then the RWS break-action pellet rifle I purchased upstairs at McBrides with a wad of assorted bills from my Crown Royal bag. 

First powdered rifle.  G-fathers Winchester Model 52 (.22lr).  Same rifle my dad learned to shoot with.  I still have it.  It's priceless to me.  

First scatter gun: 

H&R single-shot .410.  I was 11-12?

Then H&R .20 gauge.  14-15, maybe?  Again - one shot.  Make it count

Then I graduated to a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge with poly-chokes.  My aunt has that one.  I didn't even handle a semi until after HS, I think?  Browning A-5 and Browning B80.  Both in 20gauge.  

First center-fire rifle I used my the old .257 Roberts.  14-15yrs maybe?

Poll time:

1. How old were you when you received (or purchased) your 1st real firearm (whether longarm or handgun, not a pellet or BB gun)?

2. How old were your kids when... [same as # 1].

?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1. 7 years old, bolt action 22 handed down from my dad, and his dad.

2. 9 years old (girl), same said 22. Going on 4th generation now.

Age isn't really the best judge. IMO, the kid needs to show me they can comfortably handle a BB gun, observing all safety rules (muzzle discipline, etc.). Then move up to 22. Then to a hunting caliber (22-250, 243, etc).

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was probably 8 or 9. Dad got me a New Wngland Firearms 20 ga. Thing kicked like a mule. Still got it.

You aren’t lying.  I’ve got some deer rifles that punish me less than my old NE firearm 20 ga. tomato stick. Mine is relegated to barn duty for the last decade or better but it’ll kill the hell out of a moccasin. 

At age 8 in 1952, my first BB gun was a Daisy Pal, then got a Benjamin .22  pellet pump at 10. 

My first real firearm is the Winchester Model 42 .410 pump shotgun gifted to me by my grandpa in 1956 for my 12th birthday.It is still in my safe, in 98% condition. My youngest grandson will inherit it. That same year my parents gave me a Ruger Standard .22lr semiauto pistol for Christmas.

The very first real firearm I bought for myself is this Ruger Single Six. I, with my Dad, walked into Petmecky's Sporting Goods on Congress Avenue in the summer of 1959 and bought it new with money I had earned mowing yards. After untold thousands of rounds through its pipe it still locks up tight as a tick and shoots straight, even though the finish has all worn off the grip frame. My older grandson will inherit it one of these days.

spacer.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

Wow, this guy knocked it out of the park. I wanted over the jeans with some "stays" at four points on my jean belt so that I dont bust a sag on my left side (lefty). Lots of attention to detail as well. He puts some coating where your body salts wont discolor the leather over time. I am very pleased with it.

He used to do those quick draw revolver contests when he was young, never found a store bought model he liked so he bought some leather and a sewing machine and learned. He also makes some kickass wallets as well. Hes a cass county sheriff deputy these days, and this is his side hussle. 595e0d2d63dcec405e9139ee364329ec.jpgfb5a766e23bb13182350348fe323f99e.jpg988ee24ecc360dae8bae4537605a6f89.jpg1feb5da0ebe90a4a81a037fd72c6b909.jpg780b488b06f2bf906e970b3a22397036.jpg

giphy.gif

On 12/12/2019 at 12:24 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

FYI, I have a Radical Firearms 300 BLK pistol I bought a few years ago for something obscenely cheap. It has no problems cycling through ammunition or anything like that, but trying to zero that rifle(pistol) has been a huge pain. It shoots to the left substantially. Bore sight it and line the iron sights up and then go to shoot it... 

It shoots nowhere near. Far enough off that I'm not even sure the iron sights have enough adjustment. Maybe it needs a new barrel, or maybe the flash suppressor is knocking things off. But it has proved enough of a pain that I've never bothered to get it properly sighted in.

If you inspect the flash hider, do you notice anything unusual?  if you unscrew the hider do you notice issues with the crown of the barrel?  Do the rounds that are going left keyhole on the paper or punch clean holes?  Considering the quality of those Radical pistols - I wouldn't honestly be shocked if the barrel wasn't true lol

Edited by krevo

The one linked to says 1 in 8. I don't think it's a problem stabilizing the bullets because they are consistently off. It doesn't group poorly, it's just off of center. That's why I lean towards there being something like a canted barrel or the handguard not being straight. I need to pull it out when I have more time and bore sight it to see.

Interesting bit of family drama this week... (No CR)

One family member of mine intends to gift a low-end AR-15 to another family member and a third member of the family found out about it and basically went crazy and lost her shit to everyone else about how "inappropriate"a gift it would be, especially if it were given in the presence of other family members. Others have joined the dispute and now basically it appears the family is split into two groups: one wondering what the big deal is and the other worried that the mere presence of a black rifle in the same house as themselves is a mortal danger to everyone's safety.

I tried asking a few questions of the anti-gun side and it literally seems to be the case that they are scared of the gun itself and find its mere presence alone to be offensive, even if it's just a piece of metal in a box. A couple of them have said how they are "deeply opposed to gun violence" so therefore..... something something.... "people shouldn't be allowed to possess military weapons". 

"Are you worried that it's going to just start randomly shooting people inside the house?" No. 

"Are you worried that Uncle _______ is going to unwrap the gun and start randomly shooting family members inside the house?" No. 

"Have you ever been shot at by someone with a gun like this or any other gun?" No. 

"Have you ever fired a gun like this yourself? Do you know how it operates or how big the bullets are?" No. 

"Do you know that this gun might look scary but it's actually not a military weapon?" Doesn't matter. 

"So why are you so upset about it?" WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE AND MASS SHOOTINGS!!!

I like to think that even if I don't agree with certain opinions, I can at least usually understand them and explain how they are different than mine, but this one really has me puzzled. It's like willful ignorance and exaggeration are the point and the idea is to be as sanctimonious and irrational as possible. 

Like I said, no CR intended and not trying to start a debate, I just found it to be a rather fascinating (and frustrating) interaction and wanted to share with this thread. 

• Like 2

Bought myself a Christmas present because I've been a good boy. New AR complete upper from PSA marked down $180. This one is a flat top and more optics friendly than my stock M&P. The idea of having a spare upper doesn't hurt my feelings and the price was right.

PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 NITRIDE 13.5" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER WITH NICKEL BORON BCG & CH

5165448422_1.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Half of your family is full of dip shit regards. Sorry. Tell them to get fucked and give that gun. Then you can remove them from future gatherings.

Pretty sure my brother is even more determined to give it now. 

I also asked one of the offended parties if they were also afraid to walk through Home Depot since after all, a gun is just a tool and a hammer or a screwdriver or whatever could also be misused to "kill people" and they'd be in the presence of these "dangerous" tools in the store. 

The response was not very polite. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

"people shouldn't be allowed to possess military weapons". 

This is the tip-off that you are dealing with someone that really doesn't understand the nuances of the conversation.  Like getting into a conversation about economics and they lead with "trickle down".  The "evils" of beef with a vegan.  The "superiority" kipping with a cross-fitter.

There's a point they have.  I get that.  We should all strive to better articulate where we stand, but you are also tipped to the fact that the conversation you are about to engage in is going to start down an emotional roller coaster of platitudes and talking points...and it's up to you as to whether you want to go any further.   

On 12/14/2019 at 2:12 PM, Armybrat said:

I missed that part. Mine is being shipped to GT Distributors in Austin, which was on their preferred list.

By the way, I went ahead and ordered the chrome SR45 this morning and will just drive 45 minutes to Cypress to pick it up. They never responded to my inquiry about adding a FFL closer to me and the deal was too good to pass up since I've been wanting another 45 auto pistol anyway. 

The price had gone up to $250, but that was still $80-100 cheaper than anywhere else. 

You mean the stainless SR45 (two tone)? They do not offer a chrome plated finish, just the stainless steel slide or black alloy.slide.

Two years ago there were no snowflake outcries of fear, nor wadded panties when I gave my two ARs (Colt LE 6920 and S&W MP15) to my sons, plus 8 Magpul magazines each (both 20 & 30 rounders):

spacer.png

• Like 1

About the same amount of time for the numerous handguns I have gifted them over the years. Chilling, ain’t it?

btw - I am gifting my “old” SR45 to one of those sons next week. The other is getting my Remington R1 1911 .45. (He needed a companion for the Springfield Armory 1911 I gave him several years ago). The first son got the old SR9 that I had bought when they were first introduced 10 years ago.

The new SR9  I bought three months ago will now serve as my nightstand gun. Am “downsizing” calibers from .45 to 9mm because of arthritis issues. The newest SR9 Just ordered last week and has yet to be shipped will be gifted at a later date.

my dad bought me a Marlin model 25 when I was 10 or so.  It's in my kid's safe now, and it is still the most accurate rifle I've ever fired.

I bought an 870 Wingmaster when I was 18.

Meanwhile, I posted a few months back that I was thinking about buying a 9mm, and got some recommendations based on my wants (metal not plastic, hammer not striker, real safety, and made in US if possible). Sig was the main recommendation.

What's the board's opinion on Kimber guns?  I saw a couple and I liked them.   Sigs are fucking expensive. 

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

my dad bought me a Marlin model 25 when I was 10 or so.  It's in my kid's safe now, and it is still the most accurate rifle I've ever fired.

I bought an 870 Wingmaster when I was 18.

Meanwhile, I posted a few months back that I was thinking about buying a 9mm, and got some recommendations based on my wants (metal not plastic, hammer not striker, real safety, and made in US if possible). Sig was the main recommendation.

What's the board's opinion on Kimber guns?  I saw a couple and I liked them.   Sigs are fucking expensive. 

The first handgun I ever bought for myself was a Sig P226 9mm and I still think it's a great gun, even if my current 9mm preferences have shifted to lighter and smaller models that are easier to conceal. Very heavy all metal construction and hammer fired. The standard model doesn't have a manual safety but I think they do make a version with a safety lever if you want one. 

And yes, expensive as hell compared to similar handguns. $1000 at Academy for crying out loud. 

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Depends on the intended use.  If it's for EDC, there a ton of affordable options.  OTW carry?  Range queen?  3-gun competiton?

I'd take a long, hard look at CZ 75 line.  Specifically the CZ 75 SP-01 if you want a larger frame or the compact options for a smaller option

If I could only buy products from ONE manufacturer:  rifles, shotguns, ARs, pistols.  It would be CZ (and this is coming from a Sig fanboy with a Sig 1911, P220, and P938)

CZ_75_SP-01%20(1).jpg?itok=o-qYItyQo18p30dq21dz.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I will never carry.   And it's highly unlikely that I will ever shoot competitively. 

Just something do blast beer cans with out in the desert, mostly.   And I'll do that with the 22's most of the time. 

Longer sight radius makes sense then (longer barrel).  Metal frame gives it more weight for stability.  SA/DA hammer fired gives you better accuracy with your follow up shots.  Full size frame for better ergonomics and mag capacity.  So as a target/practice pistol, CZ 75 SP-01 is tough to beat.  Shadow Target if you really want to ball out.  

*all the above also apply to home defense, where weight and 'concealability' are less of a concern.  My only suggestion would be to add (or buy with) night sights.  Pistols are notoriously difficult to operate effectively under duress.  Not being able to quickly acquire your sights just compounds this.  

Buds Gun Shop

$609 @ Buds (whom I've purchased from multiple times.  Great to work with).  Just get an FFL dealer to ship to.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Damn, Baba..... you are gonna be the death of my wallet. Especially with that 75 Compact.

Don’t those also come in aluminum and plastic frames?

But I don’t think those CZs are California approved with those standard capacity magazines. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Damn, Baba..... you are gonna be the death of my wallet. Especially with that 75 Compact.

Don’t those also come in aluminum and plastic frames?

But I don’t think those CZs are California approved with those standard capacity magazines. Could be wrong though.

That's correct.  Anything with a 10+ mag capacity won't be on the approved list. 

Several CZ pistols are on the approved list, including the 75 Compact, but the approved CA version has a 10-shot mag rather than 14.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Opps, you are correct.  Yes, CA still has those antiquated mag restrictions.  

@NotActuallyALonghorn, great advise not enough people follow.  It's a tool.  Nothing more.  The basic design is relatively unchanged (other than construction materials) going back decades.  Almost a hundred years.  So the cosmetic changes are innumerable (along with the revolving list of "new" calibers).  

I remember I was at a 3-gun and this crusty old veteran had a Browning High-Power.  Not his comp gun, rather him seeing what he could do with the old workhorse.  Didn't do too bad.  Slower reload times (no mag wells).  Sights are tiny.  But she ran just fine.  Goes to show you - it's the indian, not the arrow.  

My dad let me take home his old Remington Nylon 66 over Thanksgiving. 1st gun I ever shot growing up and it's still fun as hell for me to shoot. Told me he bought it with his dad in '66 or '67. Got it home and cleaned it for the first time....ever? Anyway, just feels good to have the 1st gun I ever shot back in my safe. 

20191129-160048.jpg

• Like 8

I was super close to buying a CZ P-07 but the only reason I didn’t was the slide is smaller in height and wasn’t as comfortable to rack as I’d expected/hoped.

Also along the lines of if I had never ending play money and could only pick one line of firearms... give me HK. I’d take one of every line the have and had, including the VP70

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Those Nylon 66s are worth a lot more now than what he paid for it.

The first gun you shot = keeper.

Correct.  Big market for those now. 

If you can catch one in a pawn shop for $200 it is a STEAL.  $300-400 is the going rate and more for NIB or LNIB.