The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Best friend was an Abrams driver in the 24th Mechanized.  He used to send me range pics all the time.  Nothing like a 120mm smoothbore at night to raise the hair on the back of your neck.....especially from the drivers cupola that is more of less right under the main gun.

They'd park.  His ass would tutle into that tank as far down as he could.  Hunker down and enjoy the show.  

So, way upthread I asked for recommendations for a 9mm based on features I wanted. They are:
1) metal, not plastic
2) hammer not striker
3) "real" safety
4) American made
The choice seemed to be Sig, but those fuckers are expensive.  I've discovered that the Beretta M9 meets all of my criteria.  So, gun guys, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy that gun?
M9 would be a great purchase. Had two. No issues.

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:
On 2/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, BabaYaga said:
Bet that is a loud little SOB...sexy as hell!

It's not so much the noise (and it's loud a fuck) but the concussion from the blast. Feels like someone is slapping you upside the head everytime the trigger is pulled. Hurts so good.

My brother has a little short barreled AR that does the exact same thing.  Pretty cool, while also very annoying at the same time. 

• Like 1

18d8d557047455f45ba54dc9b628a142.jpg

12.5” .308 pistol, she’s fun to shoot and whenever my cam gets outta jail The concussive blast won’t be as bad.

She still isn’t as loud as a Sbr/pistol ar-15 with a brake, which is what I usually see at the ranges for some crazy reason...

I realized I don’t have many pictures of her, this was basically right after I put her together and put glass on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

Do not do that. AMHIK

ETA

I have an AR15 pistol (in 223) with a 7.5" barrel. Wearing ballistic shooting glasses, it still literally hurts my eyeballs.

I once made the mistake of standing off to the side of a buddy who picked up a bolt-action .50 BMG from a guy who was down on his luck.  The muzzle-break on that thing must have alone weighed a pound.  The blast hit me square in the chest/face.  Wearing sunglasses thankfully as the cloud of dust it kicked up was impressive.  Kind of like this, but from a sitting position, fired from a shooting bench.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Then start taking training. (The CHL doesn't not count. Consider it another intro to firearms class) Practice draw stroke, shooting on the move, failure drills, multiple targets, and various shooting positions/styles. Do it more often. Do it some more. Reassess, and buy a new gun and gear. Train more.

Best advice you can give someone.  It's a tool.  Nothing more.  Learn how to use it.  If you aren't going to carry, that doesn't mean you won't have to possibly use it under duress - typically when it's dark and hard to see, and the adrenaline dump you experience causes all your fine motor skills to go to shit.  Anyone can be a hero plinking coke cans with his buddies with a resting heart rate.   

• Like 1

Friend of mine picked this up on a basement sale a few weeks ago. Breaking it in has been going well... Switched over to his hunting ammo and said he is now putting 3 into a dime consistently. Going to mess with some 5 shot groups in the coming days but is happier than a pig in shit with his 3’s, using hunting ammo. Not often your soft points are outshooting your fancy Hornadys, but what a problem to have. Once his barrel is broke in, he’ll get it bedded. So now I need a 6.5CM. Great.
bfa120aab81bdd814b1abae994b08974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Cut and paste from the self defense thread....

What is the right gun and caliber for me, or what gun should I buy for my wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/cousin/whoever:

Rules of thumb for the "right' SD pistol

1) Which firearm(s) are you most comfortable with operationally. Loading, cleaning, shooting.

2) Which firearm do you shoot most accurately

3) Which firearm are you most comfortable carrying

Nobody can answer any of those questions for you. Find a range with lots of different pistols and run them. Then start looking at holsters. (Feel free to ask) Then start taking training. (The CHL doesn't not count. Consider it another intro to firearms class) Practice draw stroke, shooting on the move, failure drills, multiple targets, and various shooting positions/styles. Do it more often. Do it some more. Reassess, and buy a new gun and gear. Train more.

If it is for someone else, take THEM to the range and follow the same procedure. I strongly suggest intro to firearms classes for all of them, particularly significant others. There are plenty of places that offer lady's only classes. Let them take ownership of the process. Allow them to discover what weapon works best for them given the steps above. It's a process not a single answer as there is an entire world of subjectivity and personal preference involved. 

Finally, which caliber is best. : Again, see 1-3 above. 380 (9 kurtz), 9mm, 40 SW, 38 Spc, 357 mag, 45 ACP are the most common and all function from a ballistics stand point. There are upsides and downside to each. Find what works for you, in a caliber you're comfortable shooting, that you shoot most accurately, in the gun that you prefer. Stick with that gun and caliber. 

but but but BE, I don't want to go through all that process just tell me what to get.

Get a Glock in 9mm, put it in a safe at home, and carry some mace. 

All good advice, thanks..

I won't be carrying, ever.  I won't be using this for home defense.  I will stay unloaded when I'm not out in the desert/at the range (mostly the desert).  I've got a shotgun.  It's also unloaded, but ammo is easily and quickly accessed.   I want something bigger than the 22s just "because".  That's the only reason.  A little louder pop.  

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Uh... See man, that is information we could have used.

So you want something

1) Hammer not striker fired

2) US Made

3) With a manual safety

4) That will never be carried or used for home defense

5) That is budget minded

6) with a little more Pop

.... Umm

It misses one of your qualifications but:

0306.jpg.173bc35c68f507910f061722d8aebff1.jpg

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Blued Single-Action Revolver Model 0306
https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/0306.html

+1,000.

Ruger also makes those in a convertible - two cylinders so you can shoot .357 Magnum, .38 Special, and 9mm. They make them in stainless steel too.

Every gun friendly guy should own a single action. Fun to shoot and doesn’t blaze up a lot of ammo too fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Oh man, I fucking thought about it.

I surely did!

But I went honest when a Hi point and this was my other thought:

5165451067-Magnum-Research-50AE-Desert-Eagle-Titanium-Gold-DE50TG_2.jpg.aa59b98064dfb9271754916beb85a5ec.jpg

34262069_1.thumb.jpg.69ed60e90905a7009c57880bdc65d366.jpg

I had a .25 raven that I bought new, at a pawn shop, for $75.  That was in 1984.  Something, something, the cops took it when I was 21 and I haven't seen it since.   I consider myself lucky to not own it anymore. 

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

+1,000.

Ruger also makes those in a convertible - two cylinders so you can shoot .357 Magnum, .38 Special, and 9mm. They make them in stainless steel too.

Every gun friendly guy should own a single action. Fun to shoot and doesn’t blaze up a lot of ammo too fast.

My dad has a blackhawk that's probably 40 years old.  It's mine  when he passes...or anytime I want it I suppose.  He hasn't fired it in years. It has the extra cyl. for 9mm.   And, as I proudly posted a while back, my kid bought me the 22 Wrangler for xmas.  It's a ton of fun. 

Edited by Gil Bang

SA revolvers will breed in your safe like rabbits.  They also lead to pairings with lever-action rifles to accompany them.  In a perfect, post-powerball winning world - I'd have matching pistol/rifle combo's in .357/38, 44Mag, and 45LC.  Lever-action rifles are just so much fun to shoot and the performance of the round from that longer barrel is significant.  You can easily take deer/hogs with a .357 rifle.  All day when within range.  

Hunting buddy has a Chiappa 45-70.  Good lord that thing is fun to shoot.  Recoil is relatively tame considering what I was expecting.  Took a small doe with it a few years back.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 5:36 PM, Parliament said:

The 6.0 PPC, is the 6.5 PPC necked down I imagine? That thing must be a lightning bolt.

ETA

NVM. I see it's entirely different.

It’s built off of the .220 Russian. I have competed with it for years. Unfortunately it was during Tony Boyer’s run. 

Nothing comes close to the 6ppc at 200 yards. I have seen scores in the 0.02 aggregate. If you can master the necking process of the case, which is a very difficult experience. You will not find a more accurate cartridge. 

• Like 3

You can buy the gun, but it comes with wood grips. The owner of that one made those fake MoP grips himself from a slab of some kind of epoxy/plastic.

On January 14, he posted a cool video of the entire project in the revolver section on The High Road forum - His handle is Viper1357, IIRC. 
Then he made another set of grips from the same material for his plow handle Colt clone to complete his Doc Holliday set.

Edited by Armybrat

The two suppressors I ordered last APRIL had the NFA paperwork finally come through yesterday (technically one came in last Monday but I wanted to wait until both were in and just do one 4473) and I picked them up today.  Exciting.  I went through the Silencer Shop website and did the 1 off trust for both of them and a local place with their kiosk for the transfer.

Both of them are from Griffin, a Recce 5 that will go on an X95 for mostly tacticool and a Revolution 9 that may split time between various handguns and a PSA AK-V.  I got various 150gr stuff that should be subsonic, but we'll see. My company bonuses in April and these were impulse buys, I would have normally done a lot more research before pulling the trigger on something like this.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

It’s built off of the .220 Russian. I have competed with it for years. Unfortunately it was during Tony Boyer’s run. 

Nothing comes close to the 6ppc at 200 yards. I have seen scores in the 0.02 aggregate. If you can master the necking process of the case, which is a very difficult experience. You will not find a more accurate cartridge. 

LV, HV or Unlimited?  Can we haz a pic or two of BR gun(s)?

Just in time for my boys spring break. We’ll spend Saturday doing the lpk on my cmmg loser swap out some pieces on my ar15 and take this 300blk pistol out to go hog harvesting on our land.

Still waiting on my sandman k to get outta jail, thinking I’m probably gonna start the clock on a sandman s this spring to go on this and keep the K for my 308 pistol

56c6d28babec2cb1dddf05ab5635d72c.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davidg said:

LV, HV or Unlimited?  Can we haz a pic or two of BR gun(s)?

I had all my rifles built (Speedy Gonzalez smith’d all of mine, he is in San Antonio) to the 10.5 weight of LV using use Kelby stocks and Krieger medium contour barrels (I use BAT actions). The adjustability of the Kelby stock allows me to shoot the same rifle in both LV and HV simply by adding weight, and/or a Nightforce scope. 

I use a rail gun for unlimited. Which is very similar to firing a howitzer. Get the POI right and feed the shit out of it before the wind changes. 

They are attention getting rig’s when on the line. Unlike most guys I tend to prefer a simple gloss black paint job with multiple coats of clear sanded with 1500 grit and buffed out. That seems to go well against the highly polished actions and barrels. I’ll post a couple of pic’s.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I want one of those Ruger 5.7 pistols so bad. I just haven't talked myself into paying $800 for one yet. 

Scratch your itch with a Kel Tec PMR 30 for the time being for $350 and buy you some time.  I'm with you.  The ballistics on that 5.7 are NASTY.