BigDHornfan

The Gun Owner’s thread

I've got hunting rifles in 7x57 and 8mm on WWII actions.  Beautiful guns.  I need to either re-scope them and start shooting them or sell them.  Natural selection has moved them farther back in my safe than they deserve and someone (maybe me) needs to enjoy them.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:10 PM, NYTransplant said:

Nowhere near Surly level of collecting, but I just gave my dad my CZ SP-01 and upgraded to a Shadow 2. Last 4 guns have been CZ variants (Dan Wesson Valor, SP-01, SP-01 Tactical, Shadow 2) and other than an STI, I can't think of anything outside the CZ range that I want.

This guys fucks. CZ and in particular Dan Wesson are very underrated. That’s quite a lime up

Speaking of old firearms I have a Gartman custom 270, WW2 Mauser action, with attached brake.it has to be almost 70 years old. Still with the original 4x scope. Did some research on it, apparently Gartman was quite a skilled barrel maker in the 40s and 50s

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/dc565c78-ea12-41b1-a535-b54f4817d1ab/downloads/1c42iem45_581230.pdf

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6444523/Re_Gartman_Arms_custom_rifle_b

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/gartman-rifle-johnson-gartman.117404/

Edited by 4th and 5

34 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I'd start every hunting story with......."So, I was hunting with Jack O'Conner's .270 and......."

If rather tell stories about how I was using the Colt SAA to shoot cowboy and for plinking to watch the Safe queen hoarder fan Bois shit themselves in stress and hate. I am Surly after all.

Meh, most Colt Single Action Army Commemoratives (except mine 😘) are not really worth a premium.  In fact a lot of the 2nd generation ones like that auction piece above are usually valued much less than a standard model in equal condition.

Quite a few are being bought at good prices, then the owners removing some of the gaudy embellishments to use them as shooters. However, the 2nd gen SAAs are quality Colts and considered better than the early 3rd generation production. The serious Colt collectors do not chase after them as collectables, but a lot of us may like certain issues because of sentimental reasons.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

my old 270 I mentioned above has the same scope as the Jack O'Connor 270

My old .270 looks very similar to that one.  Pre-64 Model 70 featherweight that was my g-fathers, my fathers, and now mine.  Rocked a fixed x4 Weaver scope for most of it's life.  Still have the scope in the original box when I finally replaced with a modern Leo scope.  

My new Pre-64 .270 has a Norman-Ford "Texan" 6x. 

The finest scope ever made.... ever made in Tyler, TX that is.

Edited by Reagan1k

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Meh, most Colt Single Action Army Commemoratives (except mine 😘) are not really worth a premium.  In fact a lot of the 2nd generation ones like that auction piece above are usually valued much less than a standard model in equal condition.

Quite a few are being bought at good prices, then the owners removing some of the gaudy embellishments to use them as shooters. However, the 2nd gen SAAs are quality Colts and considered better than the early 3rd generation production. The serious Colt collectors do not chase after them as collectables, but a lot of us may like certain issues because of sentimental reasons.

Obligatory reposting of first gen SAA. I have posted before on other forum. still haven't had it worked on though

003a.jpg

On 1/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Armybrat said:

You will find that the SR45 is a pretty soft shooting .45. I gave mine to one of my sons for Christmas, then bought two SR9 pistols. I paid $430 for my SR45 about 7 years ago, so the current prices are just about giveaways. Nice value for a quality Underrated plastic gun, IMO. Ergonomics are very comfortable.

Finally got to shoot it this afternoon and yessir, it is the most soft shooting 45 I've ever shot. Much softer than my P320 or my XDS and a whole lot more pleasant than the Colt 1911, too. Thank you again for the tip. 

Glad to hear you like it so far.

One thing a lot of the owners do with their new SR pistol is to remove the magazine disconnect, as it is a negative feature to them. It is supposed to be a very easy 5 minute job and you can clean out the striker channel while the slide is off. There’s several Youtube how-to videos online. Never have done it with any of mine though.

Buddy in the process of booking an Alaska trip.  Primarily fishing, but will be in remote areas.  So naturally I'm getting in his head as much as I can that he's 100% going to wind up as bear scat and to go ahead and give me all his remaining guns to save the famliy anguish from having to sell them.

In order to go out a Spartan's death and go down swinging as the bear eats him arse-first, I'm trying to see if he'll get one of these (in lieu of a 45-70 rifle).  I'm going with the "it's so much lighter" andgle, and adrenalin > felt recoil.

'Cuz I just want to shoot it....

ttpMt24B6wRjgaZ8BLxMUvRixpVGFU8njpSr7MCa

That thing will take three days to clear the holster, I would get a snubby something or other. 

Just read a review on shooting that short one - BFR by Magnum Research.   May have been some general BFR discussion in pages back.

The design for that snubbie started with...."Hey, hold my beer....."  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Buddy in the process of booking an Alaska trip.  Primarily fishing, but will be in remote areas.  So naturally I'm getting in his head as much as I can that he's 100% going to wind up as bear scat and to go ahead and give me all his remaining guns to save the famliy anguish from having to sell them.

In order to go out a Spartan's death and go down swinging as the bear eats him arse-first, I'm trying to see if he'll get one of these (in lieu of a 45-70 rifle).  I'm going with the "it's so much lighter" andgle, and adrenalin > felt recoil.

'Cuz I just want to shoot it....

ttpMt24B6wRjgaZ8BLxMUvRixpVGFU8njpSr7MCa

Where are the wheels & trailer hitch?

The good news is, if you ever want to get rid of it - hold it out with one hand, with your back to a large body of water, and pull the trigger, ducking as it whistles over your head....

b4W9UCrB6yhuPMWyFKlCjx53qvu40325JP9EwTki

Yeah I’m thinking the only thing that sucks worse than getting eating by that grizzly is getting eaten whilst having broken, floppy wrists. 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

842A388F-07C1-4EFE-BF68-BFC38E178EBC.jpeg

My Dad had one of those. He originally bought it for my Mom. I forget the story but it was his conceal carry for a number of years. He switched to a snub nose Ruger 38 Special in the mid 70's. When he died, my stepmother kept all his guns. The ones she didn't sell, she gave to her kin. One of them got this pistol, the Ruger 38 Special and a Marlin .30-30 saddle gun. He was going to clean them up and give them to me, but his wife decided to leave him that week and took the guns. Lord knows who has them now. That was a sweet firing little .32

Edited by RPM

9 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

de1e5834b3897f67e2c107689e6fa426.jpg
Picked up this 686 today.
Sweet rig

No Hillary hole.... nice find. /cr

My Dad had one of those. He originally bought it for my Mom. I forget the story but it was his conceal carry for a number of years. He switched to a snub nose Ruger 38 Special in the mid 70's. When he died, my stepmother kept all his guns. The ones she didn't sell, she gave to her kin. One of them got this pistol, the Ruger 38 Special and a Marlin .30-30 saddle gun. He was going to clean them up and give them to me, but his wife decided to leave him that week and took the guns. Lord knows who has them now. That was a sweet firing little .32

She took his guns? Wow that's savage. And save some "F you" for the kids who actually accepted that gift. Shitty people, them.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Shitty people, them.

Yeah that's a fucked up story, @RPM

I don't sell guns, I just don't.   Someone down the line is going to get some cool shit.

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

d628eb04f6f1398127826e730a273342.jpg

Had a LOT of fun in Vegas last weekend...

The MG-42 is not to be missed.

Let's see how good I am sans the help of Google:  left to right

• 20mm anti-tank on skis
  • 81 & 60mm mortars
  • MG34
  • Ma Deuece (M2)
  • Browning
  • Bren
  • Vickers
  • Maxim
  • RPG-7

A perusal of my parts bin says I can build a beater AR15 with everything but an upper, BCG and barrel. Budget uppers and BCG's I know, but not barrels.

What are my good (enough) barrel options?

So, way upthread I asked for recommendations for a 9mm based on features I wanted. They are:

1) metal, not plastic

2) hammer not striker

3) "real" safety

4) American made

The choice seemed to be Sig, but those fuckers are expensive.  I've discovered that the Beretta M9 meets all of my criteria.  So, gun guys, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy that gun?

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, way upthread I asked for recommendations for a 9mm based on features I wanted. They are:

1) metal, not plastic

2) hammer not striker

3) "real" safety

4) American made

The choice seemed to be Sig, but those fuckers are expensive.  I've discovered that the Beretta M9 meets all of my criteria.  So, gun guys, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy that gun?

I have to tell you, your post seems super trolly.

fucking $400 higher than the M9.  
I'm a complete jerkoff, and I doubt I'll shoot 500 rounds in a year, and 400 of those will be aimed at bud light cans. Does it even matter to me?

36 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

fucking $400 higher than the M9.  
I'm a complete jerkoff, and I doubt I'll shoot 500 rounds in a year, and 400 of those will be aimed at bud light cans. Does it even matter to me?

Aren’t you limited in magazine capacity out there?

But the M9 is a fine gun. Grabagun has the M9 California approved 10 rounder for as low as $553.48 plus $7.99 shipping.

Edited by Armybrat

32 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get your son to “borrow” one from his .mil unit.

He's a Drill Sgt. these days. 

And, thanks for the opportunity to fucking BRAG.

He's applied for, and been accepted to Aviation.  He heads to Warrant Officer school in October, and once that is done, he's off to Ft. Rucker for 2 years of flight training.  He wants to fly Apaches.  We'll see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Thanks Brat.  Your opinion means a lot to me. 

But personally I’d prefer the CZ 75 - either compact or full size (both 10 rounds) $549 or $562 at Grabagun. Alloy or steel frames.