The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL.  "Minni-balls" is what you mean (named after the French inventor Claude-Étienne Minié).  Pronounced min-yay, Americanized to "mini".

They revolutionized modern warfare.  Specifically the American Civil War.  Before, ammunition was round.  As any baseball fan knows, air passing over and around a round object causes it to curve and yaw.  Hence the Napoleonic and Revolutionary war tactics of soldiers clustered together.  Ready.  Aim.  FIRE!  Essentially a giant shotgun blast because the effective ranges of those rifles were not more than a few hundred yards.  Now fast forward to the Civil War and the advent of the mini-ball.  Cylindrical, able to be fired accurately up to 500 yards.  In the hands of skilled woodsmen firing at antiquated tactics of clustered soldiers.  Combined with cannon (grape-shot in particular) fire, the slaughter was predictable.  The base of the round was hollow/concave.  It flattened upon impact.  The precursor to the modern expanding hunting round we've all seen mushroomed in a deer or other animal.  Truley gruesome to read some of the accounts from battles.  

Maxi Balls are an actual type of front stuffer bullet, so it's likely that that is actually what he meant.

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Maxi Balls are an actual type of front stuffer bullet, so it's likely that that is actually what he meant.

spacer.png

True.  Good catch.  *can you tell I've been reading on the Civil War lately.  As well as the history of the Comanches.  

Edited by BabaYaga

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

spacer.png

Yep. That's the one that I had the mold for.   I had a contractor buddy that gave me all the lead pipes from the old houses he worked on, and I melted those down. 

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and a modest tax  refund since forever, I have decided to invest in a Tavor 7. I’ll be deploying it suppressed with a thermal against wild swine. Any reason why I should not make this purchase?

200.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Last week I added 9000 rounds of various calibers to my inventory using some specials.

The ammo mfgs have been slammed with slow markets since the last election and I have no doubt they'll use the coming cycle to try and bump prices to induce/ make it seem like there is some more panic buying like pre-'16.  I think as soon as we see some price increases, the buying will start.  Right now shooters and preppers have been lulled into some complacency.

Stuff's still hovering around 12 year lows but I don't think that will last.

• Like 1

Well shit, just discovered I’m almost out of 9mm. Haven’t checked the stash for a while even after giving quite a few boxes to family members to go with the Christmas & birthday pistols in recent years. Only have 150 rounds of the shitty WWB 115 grain fmj range stuff left. I like to keep at least 500 rounds of range ammo and about 200 of decent SD boolets on hand for each caliber handgun.

That’s after buying two new Ruger SR9 guns late last year, and would like to run 100 or so rounds of range stuff thru each one for function check then half that much SD. Feel kinda naked. Any recs for an online store since I haven’t bought any for months?

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well shit, just discovered I’m almost out of 9mm. Haven’t checked the stash for a while even after giving quite a few boxes to family members to go with the Christmas & birthday pistols in recent years. Only have 150 rounds of the shitty WWB 115 grain fmj range stuff left. I like to keep at least 500 rounds of range ammo and about 200 of decent SD boolets on hand for each caliber handgun.

That’s after buying two new Ruger SR9 guns late last year, and would like to run 100 or so rounds of range stuff thru each one for function check then half that much SD. Feel kinda naked. Any recs for an online store since I haven’t bought any for months?

I love SGAmmo.com, primarily because the shipping is extremely reasonable and they ship your order almost immediately.... except now that I look at the website they are saying it might be Friday the 20th for orders placed today. 

Guess errbody's prepping right now. 

Just go to gt tomorrow and buy the 50 packs of federal sd ammo (the good stuff) for $18.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get an automatic shotgun. If she isn’t used to a pump, she will short strock that thing worse than she does your dick.

I’d get something in 20ga for her. I’ve got not recommendations for a pistol. It needs to be something that fits her hand. The shotgun needs to fit her as well.

Shotty would not be for her. Handgun ideally would work well for both of us, but if that’s not likely then better for her. 

My point stands about getting an auto vs a pump.

I’ve got a mossberg 590 in the safe with a 20” bbl or so, but I’ve never owned an auto shotgun.

Yeah that’s tough. Just have to get a safe.

Teach them not to be retards. That works, even though a lot of people don’t believe it.

I’m a fan of mossberg shotguns since I’m left handed and the safety is at the top of the grip. Really easy to access. I’ve been meaning to swap the stock out for a magpul one that I can fit to me better and put a light on the thing.

It’s no longer my go to for HD so it’s not a priority.

Place down the road from me has a gen 4 Glock 17 for 525 and a mossberg maverick 88 for 220 so I think that’s my shopping tomorrow...plus some bottles of grain alcohol for antiviral spray. 

Academy routinely has that maverick for 189

It kicks like a fucking mule. Very unpleasant to shoot. Ive owned 2 and sold both. But if someone breaks in........they’re toast.

I’d elect for the 19 over the 17. I’ll always have a 19 in my collection. It would be the last gun I ever sold if I had to liquidate. Not my favorite, but I trust it more than any other, tons of upgrades and parts floating around, and not horrible to carry if you have to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now officially fielding recs for home defense shotgun, and handgun that the mrs could wield.  Say $400 or less for each. I’d rather have more than 6 shots in the handgun, but make your case for a wheel gun if you have one. 

The mention of short-stroking the shotgun is great advice.  The only benefit of a scatter gun is the familiarity and longer sight radius.  Inside a home, the pattern spread is negligible.  You have over-penetration issues on interior walls, and a limited capacity.  Coupled with the excessive noise and muzzle report, they can stun the user.  Still better than a pistol.  

Pistols are also notoriously difficult to operate under duress.  You get a case of the shaky-hands and you can't hit  damn thing with them.  Get night sights at the very least.  A light is even better.  If you're not carrying, get a full-size due to extended mag capacity.  

Practice with each.  Something to consider, a pistol-caliber carbine (PCC).  If this is primarily a HD option, you get every benefit of a pistol + many more: 

• zero recoil.  Easy for you and wife to operate
  • Negligible muzzle blast
  • Longe rsight radius
  • Large mag capacity
  • Can mount optics, like a red dot and/or flashlight
  • Inexpensive compared to AR
  • Pistol round, inside a house has less over-penetration issues compared to a 5.56 or buckshot
  • Fun a hell to shoot....

Don't scoff at the Kel Tec 2000 or Ruger PC9.  Both are rugged and reliable.  

1200px-Ruger_PC4.jpgkel-tec-sub-2000-semi-auto-rifle-1426827

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The mention of short-stroking the shotgun is great advice.  The only benefit of a scatter gun is the familiarity and longer sight radius.  Inside a home, the pattern spread is negligible.  You have over-penetration issues on interior walls, and a limited capacity.  Coupled with the excessive noise and muzzle report, they can stun the user.  Still better than a pistol.  

Pistols are also notoriously difficult to operate under duress.  You get a case of the shaky-hands and you can't hit  damn thing with them.  Get night sights at the very least.  A light is even better.  If you're not carrying, get a full-size due to extended mag capacity.  

Practice with each.  Something to consider, a pistol-caliber carbine (PCC).  If this is primarily a HD option, you get every benefit of a pistol + many more: 

• zero recoil.  Easy for you and wife to operate
  • Negligible muzzle blast
  • Longe rsight radius
  • Large mag capacity
  • Can mount optics, like a red dot and/or flashlight
  • Inexpensive compared to AR
  • Pistol round, inside a house has less over-penetration issues compared to a 5.56 or buckshot
  • Fun a hell to shoot....

Don't scoff at the Kel Tec 2000 or Ruger PC9.  Both are rugged and reliable.  

1200px-Ruger_PC4.jpgkel-tec-sub-2000-semi-auto-rifle-1426827

I've been eyeing the ruger pc9 and now seems like a good excuse to take the plunge. Should I expect to pay a high markup at local gun store vs online/big box store?

Just now, elguapo said:

I've been eyeing the ruger pc9 and now seems like a good excuse to take the plunge. Should I expect to pay a high markup at local gun store vs online/big box store?

Good question.  I wouldn' think so, as they're not as "known" as ARs, etc.  CZ Scorpion, SIGs, I think those are marked up.  The irony of course is they operate almost identical to the Ruger that "looks" benign.  Same with the Mini-14s.  

• Like 1

Added bonus of each is they accept Glock Mags.  From a continuity standpoint, this is huge (17 & 19 specifically).  They will eat almost anything perfectly well.  From 95gr frangible to 147gr +P defensive rounds.  My wife won't touch a shotgun.  Too loud.  Too heavy.  And too much recoil.  She'll shoot the AR all day.  

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about a PC9 since last year to compliment the SR9 handguns I bought. Have 6 of the 17 round mags altogether (had ordered two extra from Grabagun). If I take the plunge, then will order at least 4 more and a bunch of the 124 or 147 grain Gold Dots.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I love SGAmmo.com, primarily because the shipping is extremely reasonable and they ship your order almost immediately.... except now that I look at the website they are saying it might be Friday the 20th for orders placed today. 

Guess errbody's prepping right now. 

Another vote for SGAmmo.  They manage expectations on their website and always beat their time to ship.

Those 9k rounds ordered Sunday night arrived at my office about an hour ago, even though their website said it would take up to a week to ship.

54 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve been thinking about a PC9 since last year to compliment the SR9 handguns I bought. Have 6 of the 17 round mags altogether (had ordered two extra from Grabagun). If I take the plunge, then will order at least 4 more and a bunch of the 124 or 147 grain Gold Dots.

I have friend with the beretta PCC - the CX4 Storm.  It's so ridiculously easy and fun to shoot.  Accurate enough to whomp tutles at the stock tanks and take rabbits/varmints < 100yds with the attached red dot.  Recoil is almost nonexistent.  Nor is it as loud as those damn AR's

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Place down the road from me has a gen 4 Glock 17 for 525 and a mossberg maverick 88 for 220 so I think that’s my shopping tomorrow...plus some bottles of grain alcohol for antiviral spray. 

I was gonna recommend a S&W M&P 9 for the handgun.  S&W runs lots of promotions during the summer time too w/ auto loaders, extra mags and complimentary ammo.

Also, I have a Mossberg 930 Snow Goose, but you can get the standard one w/o the extended mag tube.  Pretty nice shotgun, imo.

11 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Just bought a 590 Shockwave for home defense.  Had not owned a gun since I was 18.  I’ve shoot skeet and target rifle but nothing in many years.

I took a look at that thing, but didn’t like the stock.

ended up with a moss500(synthetic stuff, from a pawn shop) and a gen5 glock17. 

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and a modest tax  refund since forever, I have decided to invest in a Tavor 7. I’ll be deploying it suppressed with a thermal against wild swine. Any reason why I should not make this purchase?
So long as you don't pay a exorbitant price. I've seen them on the rack listed at over $3k.

I refuse to cloak this thread but I can't let a post which is anti-safe go unchecked.
So as not to cloak: 
I couldn't disagree more. If you have children and want a gun you must have a safe, AND teach them gun safety.
Why?
Most parents are stupid, therefore most kids are stupid. If they aren't stupid they might suffer from depression. If they don't suffer from depression and aren't stupid they may just be insane.
The vast majority of gun deaths in the US are from suicide or "accidental discharge".
I will say no on the topic in this thread.

I agree people are idiots. A lot of them are stupid with their firearms too. I’m not gonna argue with people about putting guns in a safe, but don’t get it twisted, a home defense weapon that isn’t ready to go immediately and where you can get it quickly will get you killed. I feel better about my stuff being locked up because of other people’s kids.
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, Gil Bang said:

hey gun nuts, tell me about dry firing.  

I was told as a kid that dry firing was bad.  But, the book for this sweet little ruger says it can be dry fired without damaging the gun.  What's the deal?

Dry firing is bad for most rimfires because the firing pin strikes the chamber edge and eventually deforms it.  And that can pose an accuracy and operation issue (for extractors/autoloaders).

A wheelgun, and that one in particular, probably has the edge of the chamber sufficiently far from the firing pin/hammer that it won't hit.  And even if it did, it would be less of an issue for accuracy and operation because of the nature of the wheelgun (the chamber isn't part of the barrel, no extractors or automatic-type operation).

It's not an inherent issue with a centerfire weapon, but depending on the hammer/firing pin arrangement, could accelerate wear/breakage on some components.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
On 3/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, cabowabo said:

So long as you don't pay a exorbitant price. I've seen them on the rack listed at over $3k.

Got one on GB. Paid below MSRP, but they’ll be lower in a few months. Got a little wild and went with an OD green one. Already have too much FDE.  Should have next week.