The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

23 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I'll do it for you. Fuck those vicious little bastards. 

Walk through a corn field at night and listen to two "bull' male raccoons fighting.  Jesus....it's terrifying.  I could have metaled at the Olympics running back to the truck (fishing, cut through field as it was faster). 

Then you sit in a blind and see those fat little turds eating corn and waddling around.    Maddening.

• Like 1

Yeah, had a friend that flipped one years back.  Bought the rifle, scope and a few hundred rounds for less than $1,200.  We played around with it.  Thing is, it's so heavy, it just pushes you back.  Not snappy at all.  The muzzle blast is nasty.  Stay behind that thing when it fires (spectators).  
Building on this: it may be a good time to unload stuff in your collection you aren't crazy about at ridiculous prices and then stock-up on what you want when shit gets back to normal.

a series of metal cylinders that screw together with flat circular pieces of aluminum within them, something like this, but even simpler
solvent-trap.png?w=584

I see this and form 1 talk. Any of y’all done this for real? I live my sdn6 and would love some extra weight in the front of my .22s that sank to the bottom of the lake.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, BabaYaga said:

I tried that once with a replica Colt 1851 Navy.  Because I'm borderline regarded, I didn't pack the cylinders properly and while it did fire out the barrel, it also cooked off the adjacent cylinder.  Thankfully it didn't explode or come apart,.  We (buddy and I) cast the balls and packed them down (like in the pic below), we did something wrong.  See how the cylinder sits off to the side, but is exposed and can clear next to the barrel.  That's what happened.  Loud noise.  Lots of smoke.  Nice little shot of adrenaline...and probably something else from the liquor cabinet.  That was the end of that....

Cap-and-ball-4.jpg

AB is right, that's not a Navy replica. My Dad had one and I'm damned luck it didn't blow my face off. Didn't seal off the shots well enough with bacon grease and it fired one down the barrel and the rounds on either side. HELLO!

• Like 1

I counted the other day and between 5.56, .308, 9mm, and .40 and 22lr I've got over 4200 rounds.  Mostly .40 and 5.56.  I have another 150 rounds of BMG coming in tomorrow.  I figure if I need it and I get through 4350 rounds of ammo and I'm not dead yet then that means I'm a god.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I have another 150 rounds of BMG coming in tomorrow

Dammit YouTube.  Started with a video about Bifen-XT for bugs are critters at the hunting cabin...

Which took me back to rat traps

Which took me to hunting rats

Which took me to guys using thermal night sights and air rifles hunting rats

Which took me to guys in S. Africa hunting monkeys with air rifles

Which took me to guys hunting baboons in Africa

Which took me to a guy in Africa shooting a baboon with a .50BMG......

God damn this quarantine nonsense and god damn your YouTube for taking me down a rabbit hole of shooting money with .50 cals.......(which I re watched three times)

• Like 1

Received my latest hoarding purchase today, made just under a month ago right before all of this panic buying started up.

1000 x 9mm 115gr, 1000 x 45 ACP 230gr, 1500 x .223 V-Max 55gr

Strangely enough, they called and said the .308 A-Max 168gr was on backorder but should be shipped this week. There really is a run on ammo. 

Mrs CL was joking over the weekend that she used to think my ammo habit was "kooky" but now she "understands it better". I'll take that. 

Also, Academy is still limiting online purchases to 3 boxes, so my 20 ga #9 AA skeet ammo source is still out of commission, but the slightly more expensive 4 cases I ordered from Grabagun showed up in just 2 days last week (sales tax + $12.99 flat shipping) and I learned today that Cabelas has a similar free shipping offer to Academy so I ordered 4 more cases. Still ~50 cents more per box, but even with sales tax the free shipping makes a huge difference compared to other places where the shipping adds another 40-80% to the cost of the ammo itself. 

(I have not tried just making multiple orders individual boxes from Academy. Probably should.)

IMG_3957.jpg.3f670a597e37d287c6680d43313dc7cb.jpg

Was surfing GrabaGun yesterday and noticed they had some 85 grain AE .327 Federal Magnum in stock at $23.39/box of 50, so I ordered 3 boxes. It has been impossible to find that caliber at any of the local stores. It’ll pad my .327 stash of mixed 85 & 100 grain to 650 rounds, plus 200 of S&W .32 Long for plinking.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

One of y’all needs to find me an H&K Mark 23 in good shape. I need an offensive handgun.

I still have many friends in Austin who drink only craft beer and IPAs and wear far too much flannel that find every gun offensive.......

I'll see myself out.....

MK23 with a can is huge.  And pricey.  Hell, for that scratch I'd get a KRISV Vector in 45acp and put a can on it.  Better overall platform, not 'that' much bigger.  

It’s a want gun though. Grail or whatever you wanna call it. The Vector does nothing for me. I’ve wanted a mark 23 since I was about 20.

Got one you wanna sell?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

One of y’all needs to find me an H&K Mark 23 in good shape. I need an offensive handgun.

gunbroker.com has quite a few H&K Mark 23's for sale, including at least 1 NIB.  There's a NIB pair with consecutive numbers.  I bought mine new through gunbroker 7 years ago for $1750.  I also have a Silencerco suppressor for it.  Shoots very, very nicely.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:02 AM, Jhawk said:

I couldn’t decide if having your body aligned behind the force would be better or worse. 

suggestions on glass? Was thinking about getting IR for it because it’s already the most expensive item I own, might as well be more expensive. I’ve heard IR isn’t really all that great though. Thoughts?

Watch this.  I enjoy this guy's channel.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

Just got the call on an AR i forgot I panic bought a month ago.  I already have a bunch of ARs in various calibers but I had a spot in my safe and it seemed like people were about to go crazy.  Thankfully I already panic bought enough ammo during the past and present administrations mass shootings to last me a life time.

Edited by krevo

I went to Cabelas the other day while there was no line and there is still plenty of ammo for your deer rifles and shotguns, etc.  I picked up some HSM 45-70 "Bear Loads"  430gr hard cast bullet doing 1800 fps / 3100lbs of energy for my shorty 1895GS

Edited by krevo

42 minutes ago, krevo said:

I went to Cabelas the other day while there was no line and there is still plenty of ammo for your deer rifles and shotguns, etc.  I picked up some HSM 45-70 "Bear Loads"  430gr hard cast bullet doing 1800 fps / 3100lbs of energy for my shorty 1895GS

You must be feeling better?

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

You must be feeling better?

Been a lot better the past week.  I updated the thread.  Yesterday was my first time out of my house to do anything since March 10th.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Looking to get something to teach my kids about guns and how to shoot. Thinking either a Ruger Bearcat or Sr22. Thoughts or suggestions? 10 and 12 years old.

I started my kids (albeit younger than yours, probably around 8-9) with a single shot rifle/shotgun .223/.20 gauge with a switchable barrel. Crack 'em open, put in a bullet or a shell, close it, take it off safety, shoot and eject.  Not much doubt about whether the gun was loaded and they learned to take a good shot the first time.  They graduated to a pump .20 gauge and a bolt .243 after a couple of years of practice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Looking to get something to teach my kids about guns and how to shoot. Thinking either a Ruger Bearcat or Sr22. Thoughts or suggestions? 10 and 12 years old.

Do you have any other firearms?  I don't like starting with handgun.  They are harder to shoot for a newb especially kids.

I started my kids with this progression at about 5:  BB Gun > Single shot 22 LR with red dot > 20 ga gas shotgun (1 shell at a time at first) > Centerfire rifle/ 12 gauge

Handguns were introduced somewhere along the line, 22lr at first, then centerfire.

Anyone that comes up to our place to shoot that hasn't fired a gun typically goes through the same progression.  BB Gun is used to demonstrate safe handling, how to form a sight picture and trigger squeeze.    The 22 SS at metallic spinners or stationary clay targets give immediate feedback on successful shot.  The 20 ga shotgun with target load has a very soft recoil and is easy to shoot and hit hand throw clays.  Between my kids friends growing up and friends from college that have came to our place to camp, fish and shoot, I have probably guided 20-25 kids taking their first shot with a gun to confidently shooting a centerfire handgun or busting a machine thrown clay.