The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Anyone local have a compact 380, 9mm or 45 handgun for sale?  I've got some stuff to trade.  I'm looking for a G42/43, P365 or 365XL, or a compact 1911, etc.  PM me.

Mp shield 9. Not on your list but I don’t carry it anymore.

25 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

where is everybody buying bullets these days?

If you mean ammo, I have a few boxes laying around.  I have not been to the range so I don't need to replace any now, but in general I keep a stash and I buy 2 boxes for every 1 box a shoot.  Allows you to spread it out over time but if you shoot a lot you could be buying a 1000 rounds to replace the 500 you shot.

Sorry I don't have a more practical answer but ArmyBrat and others mentioned sites you can order from.  Academy is shipping free but limited to 3 boxes.

All good suggestions. Getting two red ryders for some backyard plinking. Leaning towards a Savage Rascal for the next step up.

Also picked something up for myself. 8a5e16e2785ebc554414c48a066c8451.jpg

Get you some Pearce grip extension baseplates for your compact size mags.

It allows your pinky to rest on the end of the mag which adds grip control without reducing concealment.

056-B21-CE-60-CB-437-D-9-F57-EF36-B17-C14-E5.jpg

All good suggestions. Getting two red ryders for some backyard plinking. Leaning towards a Savage Rascal for the next step up.

Also picked something up for myself. 8a5e16e2785ebc554414c48a066c8451.jpg
I carry the same. I like being able to switch between a compact and full side magazine, depending on if I'm carrying concealed or open.

Christopher George suffered multiple injuries, including a heart contusion, and Gary Raymond suffered a broken ankle when a jeep overturned on them during filming of episode 27, "Take Me To Your Leader Raid", in January 1967. George's injury contributed to his 1983 death.

debbie-downer.jpg

But the SAS had some badass setups.

b5142150ba00e83f4ab3bbf0587849a6.jpg

92a56wi9tqs11.jpg

I really hope those Jerry cans up front are water.

Edited by RPM

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Christopher George suffered multiple injuries, including a heart contusion, and Gary Raymond suffered a broken ankle when a jeep overturned on them during filming of episode 27, "Take Me To Your Leader Raid", in January 1967. George's injury contributed to his 1983 death.

debbie-downer.jpg

But the SAS had some badass setups.

b5142150ba00e83f4ab3bbf0587849a6.jpg

92a56wi9tqs11.jpg

I really hope those Jerry cans up front are water.

Tea and milk

4 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

What are you guys thoughts on the 10mm?  I've really had the itch lately, ma go with 1911 platform.  Thoughts/opinions?

Fuck yeah.  Ballistic similar to the .41 Mag.  It's a hot round, especially if you reload.  Heard many of the manufacturers ammo is a little watered down to allow the round to be more easily handled.  It's snappy.  1911 is a great platform for the round due to the weight of the frame.  Heck of a sidearm when you think you might run across large game like pigs, lions, bears, etc.  

39 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fuck yeah.  Ballistic similar to the .41 Mag.  It's a hot round, especially if you reload.  Heard many of the manufacturers ammo is a little watered down to allow the round to be more easily handled.  It's snappy.  1911 is a great platform for the round due to the weight of the frame.  Heck of a sidearm when you think you might run across large game like pigs, lions, bears, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve got a buddy with several. Most factory rounds are underpowered. You can make reloads do work.

Thanks, I'm currently packing a 1911 chambered in 400 CorBon which also a great round and incredibly accurate.  I guess it's time to start shopping boys...

• Like 1

Huge fan.  Got on the 10mm bandwagon in the 80's with Jeff Cooper and his Bren Ten.  I've loved to see it coming back in popularity.

Since I don't have the time to practice with my bow as much as I deem responsible / ethical, I've been pistol hunting my bow stands with a 10mm for the last few years in lieu of rifle hunting.

My current hunting rig is the G40 MOS with a Vortex Venom and it's hell on deer, hogs, and Aoudad.  Easy to shoot.

Also love to shoot my Blackhawk 10mm that comes with a .40 cylinder as well.  Hell, I use the HiPoint 10mm carbine as a everyday truck gun and to knock around the lease.  It goes bang and isn't something I care if it gets beat around.  A 10mm out of a carbine length barrel is a helluva pill.  Sooner or later I'm going to pull the trigger and get a 10mm AR - probably the CMMG.  They've been working out the kinks.

A 1911 is a great platform for the round obviously....especially if you already shoot and love them.  Plenty to chose from.  There's an original Delta Elite in the safe not far from where I sit.

Another one to look at would be the CZ or the EAA Tangfolio Witness (CZ clone).

I hunt with Underwood Ammo 150gr Xtreme Hunter (Lehigh Defense's bullet) and it's very effective.....if you are considering hunting.  I buy Sellier and Bellot FMJ's from SG Ammo and they run great on the range.

Do it!!!!

• Like 1

If you want to hunt with a 10mm, as mentioned above I can't recommend the G40 MOS more highly.

It's not pretty, but that MOS works like a champ and the long slide make it easy to shoot and the recoil is pretty tame -  not snappy at all.

I also don't mind it getting scuffed up if I have to set it on the floor of a metal tripod or similarly abuse it.

Forgot to mention I also have one of the original S&W 610's no-dash.  Still new in the box with not even a cylinder turn mark on it.  I might shoot it one day but for now its just a show piece for my own enjoyment.  I haven't paid much attention to the new iteration they rolled out but I might grab up one of those as a shooter soon.

I've owned two desert eagles - one 50AE and one 44mag.  They are awesome guns to take to the range, or even to hunt with if you're into that kind of thing but they are not really practical for anything else.  Mags arent cheap, and every caliber other than 357 is expensive as shit to feed them.   They do run really well though, and recoil is not as bad as most people would think (because they're beefy as shit.)

If you look around you can find them for 1k plus or minus a hundred bucks for a basic model.  I like the older ones more than the new ones personally and I've always opted for brushed stainless models instead of parkerized/blued/cerakoted ones.  

Edited by krevo

Actually my dad bought it as surplus from the Missouri National Guard in 1925 for $1.25, along with two others at the same price. Those are now owned by my brothers. Mine came with an original bayonet. Not a bad deal.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 5

c2e08693ea9184d9eb11d319f011c15d.jpg

c301667c8af5a5089d41ea44eaf3e58c.jpg

cc3258c10d680d34f9e52bc5d29dda75.jpg

Anyone with personal experience w this M&P Shield?

Thoughts on the thumb safety vs no thumb safety? Anyone own it in the flat dark earth color? I’ve seen pics of it where it looks green and others where it looks more like a sand color.

Just looking at getting my first 9mm compact (that I hope to not lose in a boating accident like I did with my .45).

Looked at glock 26s and 43s as well, but the price point and reviews for the shield seem a little better.