The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

6 hours ago, krevo said:

New pistol, appendix holster and optic.  Great setup.  Will never carry a G19 again. 

8F5F869B-B88D-4551-B666-DE90152F5DD9.jpeg

94A2D688-947F-456F-A8AF-D2FC8D5B9217.jpeg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....hate you so much right now.  I want that exact pistol.  Spent the weekend searching for it.  Dang it.  Do/did you also have the smaller version?  Curious about the size comparison.  Any issues carrying?  Comparing size-wise, I've heard it's more in line with a G48 than a G19?

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's a great shot with the shell in flight. I've been thinking about one of those.  Also I dig that sight. 

They are hella' fun.  Used to have it's pappy, the PC9.  They are great truck guns.  9mm out of a longer barrel has a lot more range and velocity.  Have a few friends with 9mm carbines and they are so much fun to shoot and teach small framed shooters.  

So I started watching AMC's The Son on Hulu, which I definitely recommend if you like history and old guns. It follows the McCullogh family in south Texas switching back and forth between 1849 when the patriarch of the family was abducted by Apaches and the early 1900's when he has established a large ranch in South Texas. Anyhow, it's got me jonesing for a winchester 1907.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So I started watching AMC's The Son on Hulu, which I definitely recommend if you like history and old guns. It follows the McCullogh family in south Texas switching back and forth between 1849 when the patriarch of the family was abducted by Apaches and the early 1900's when he has established a large ranch in South Texas. Anyhow, it's got me jonesing for a winchester 1907.

spacer.png

Minor quibble:  Comanches, not Apaches.  

Saw a show a while back on firearms used in WWI, and they talked some about the 1907.  Sounds like it was a real trench sweeper.

14 hours ago, Coyote said:

Link to holster? I'm with you, really really enjoying this pistol. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WF96JGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has a bunch of rigs for this pistol and they're all cheap w/ good reviews.  I'm buying a TXC "Aloha Now" appendix holster w/ mag carrier as soon as they start taking orders again.

LIMITED EDITION - ALOHA NOW - ALLY (SOUTHPAW) - TXC Holsters

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....hate you so much right now.  I want that exact pistol.  Spent the weekend searching for it.  Dang it.  Do/did you also have the smaller version?  Curious about the size comparison.  Any issues carrying?  Comparing size-wise, I've heard it's more in line with a G48 than a G19?

Its basically a G43 with a slightly longer slide and grip.  1" thick.  Could fit in a big pocket but sits next to my dick like its not even there.  I've carried it SOB and right hip with no issues.  I love the flat trigger (breaks right after 90 degrees) and I love the fact that the XL comes factory red dot ready.  I had to track down the Romeo Zero as all the Covid-19 / China manufacturing is delayed as fuck right now.  

I'll say it again.  Owned the G42, G43, G26, G19, etc.  I shot this gun and then immediately went and bought one.  I run mine with hot ammo I've had sitting around and it chews through it.  Pretty sure most of the 365 woes were corrected after the first gen and 2nd gens were released.  Seems like anything that was wrong with the original 365 was corrected on the XL (imho)

• Like 1

Just re-read Empire of the Summer Moon for the second time now.  I can't recommend this book enough to anyone interested in the history of the Comanches, especially here in Texas.  It's crazy to think that Mexico ceded so much land to the fledgling US, knowing settlers would be sent and act as a human buffer shield to keep the warring Comanches from decimating Mexico.  They knew the settlers would be slaughtered....and they were.  At one point, Texas has one of the most dangerous places to live in the world!  Or how 'Comancheria' (their territory) was one of the largest in the US.

Not until the Texas Rangers and their adoption of the Colt (earlier dismissed by the US Army) were the odds tipped back.  The US Army and Cavalry was utterly ineffective against them...often dismounting to fight (utter suicide).  Only Rangers, who saw the Comanches push the frontier back more than 150 miles during the Civil War, were able to fight them effectively....utilizing their tactics and now armed with a weapon that finally allowed them to fight from horseback (this is what facilitated the tipping point).  

The author describes them as Spartans.  Born and bred solely for war.  No art.  No permanent encampments.  No settlements.  Appearing and disappearing in the vastness of the plains.  Able to navigate the endless stretches as Polynesians can navigate at sea with no instruments.  All this.....one very, very old person ago.... 

They were so masterful at war and so skillful with their arrows and lances that they stopped the northern drive of colonial Spain from Mexico and halted the French expansion westward from Louisiana. White settlers arriving in Texas from the eastern United States were surprised to find the frontier being rolled backward by Comanches incensed by the invasion of their tribal lands. So effective were the Comanches that they forced the creation of the Texas Rangers and account for the advent of the new weapon specifically designed to fight them: the six-gun.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Minor quibble:  Comanches, not Apaches.  

Saw a show a while back on firearms used in WWI, and they talked some about the 1907.  Sounds like it was a real trench sweeper.

The Winchester Model 1897 12 ga. 20” barrel pump was called the Trench Gun for a reason.

52EACB24-1234-47E8-80BC-00735E28CFC7.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Just re-read Empire of the Summer Moon for the second time now.  I can't recommend this book enough to anyone interested in the history of the Comanches, especially here in Texas.  It's crazy to think that Mexico ceded so much land to the fledgling US, knowing settlers would be sent and act as a human buffer shield to keep the warring Comanches from decimating Mexico.  They knew the settlers would be slaughtered....and they were.  At one point, Texas has one of the most dangerous places to live in the world!  Or how 'Comancheria' (their territory) was one of the largest in the US.

Not until the Texas Rangers and their adoption of the Colt (earlier dismissed by the US Army) were the odds tipped back.  The US Army and Cavalry was utterly ineffective against them...often dismounting to fight (utter suicide).  Only Rangers, who saw the Comanches push the frontier back more than 150 miles during the Civil War, were able to fight them effectively....utilizing their tactics and now armed with a weapon that finally allowed them to fight from horseback (this is what facilitated the tipping point).  

The author describes them as Spartans.  Born and bred solely for war.  No art.  No permanent encampments.  No settlements.  Appearing and disappearing in the vastness of the plains.  Able to navigate the endless stretches as Polynesians can navigate at sea with no instruments.  All this.....one very, very old person ago.... 

One of my favorite books. So much Commanche history in central Texas. Savages in every sense of the word. If you were a settler and came across Comanches, you were screwed. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The Winchester Model 1897 12 ga. 20” barrel pump was called the Trench Gun for a reason.

52EACB24-1234-47E8-80BC-00735E28CFC7.jpeg

Yeah, the knuckle buster was another devastating trench warfare weapon.  That's the shotgun that was so effective the Germans complained about it and said that any Allied personnel caught with one would face harsh treatment.  Mustard gas?  No problem.  Tanks?  Bring 'em on.  Machine guns?  The more, the merrier.  Short-barreled shotgun?  Now *that's* crossing the line, fella!  Lulz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

spacer.png

I love those guns.  I bought a 1905 (.32) and a 1907 (.351) at auction last year and turned around and sold them with the hopes of reinvesting the gains into more pristine models.

I haven't found ones to re-buy yet but I'm always looking.  I tapped out of an auction a few months ago on a 1907 that was marked as "Property of Folsom Prison".  It got too rich for my blood but I would have loved to have it.  Those rifles were mainstays for prison guards and railroad security, among other LEO types of the era.

Such a cool look and simple action.  I need to get re-energized on my search.

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

One of my favorite books. So much Commanche history in central Texas. Savages in every sense of the word. If you were a settler and came across Comanches, you were screwed. 

One takeaway for me were their weapons (to tie back to this thread).  How they could fire dozens of arrows a minute from horseback that were lethal at 30+ yds.  Often from under a galloping horses neck.  Similar to the Mongols, they would fire when a galloping horse had all four hooves off the ground.  The timing and accuracy was incredible.  How US infantry weapons geared for Napoleonic tactics were utterly worthless against them.  Cannons and single-shot rifles.  Lol.  Like trying to swat an attacking wasp with a wooden board.  If you tried to use cavalry, they'd just disappear like a whisp of smoke.  They wanted you to follow them.  They'd out ride and out last you, then circle back and wipe you out.  Fascinating.  

Another big takeaway was how savage they were to each other.  Capture on the plains was a horrible, slow death sentence prior to the european incursions.  It was no different.  White or another tribe.  So what "they did" to settlers was no different than what they do to other tribes.  US settlers just could not wrap their heads around this.  

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Nail polish

The biggest thing seems to be that unset threadlocker or acrylic hardener (nail polish) acts as a lubricant and you end up torquing the screws down too much because the friction is lessened. 
i would think that a dot of blue loctite on the threads and left to cure before use would alleviate that issue. 

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11120714

After looking, I decided to go with this. It's right in my range, it's pretty, and doesn't look "scary". 

The tapered case of the .44-40 will help seal the chamber and keep fouling out of the action if you ever want to shoot real black powder boom pills out of it. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly if you do. BP residue will rust a gun in no time.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, krevo said:

New pistol, appendix holster and optic.  Great setup.  Will never carry a G19 again. 

Nice setup.  I've got one of these and got one for each of my kids.  What holster is that?  I can make out the word "Romeo" on the optic, so I know it's a Sig, what model exactly?

On 6/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, krevo said:

That sure is a pretty set up you have there. I need to get an XL with optic to go with my usual every day carry P365. 

Somedays it stays home and I go old school though. Today was one of those days. 

CE043CF5-D6EE-462D-A4EC-02672037F066.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

That sure is a pretty set up you have there. I need to get an XL with optic to go with my usual every day carry P365. 

Somedays it stays home and I go old school though. Today was one of those days. 

CE043CF5-D6EE-462D-A4EC-02672037F066.jpeg

Bravo D.W.

Just took delivery of 250 rounds of Magtech (Brazil) 9mm 115 gr. fmj to pad my range stash a little bit more. Thought the $14.95 for each box(50) was kinds outrageous. So am done there until things loosen up in a few years.

You could also look at ammoseek.com to see who has what.

Edited by Armybrat

Anmoseek and gunbot.net are great .  Use them a lot, but in this environment their data has been a little off.  Lots of searches showing as in stock are coming up as dry holes on the click through.  Stuffs going so fast their data isn’t keeping up. 

After having camped and hiked with my 9mm at my side this weekend as bear protection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a Glock 40 10mm. 
ive also seen where people put harder barrels in them and fire hot loads. Not sure how necessary that might be. Also not sure that the double stacked mag is necessary. Bear won’t be giving me a chance to shoot 15(16). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After having camped and hiked with my 9mm at my side this weekend as bear protection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a Glock 40 10mm. 
ive also seen where people put harder barrels in them and fire hot loads. Not sure how necessary that might be. Also not sure that the double stacked mag is necessary. Bear won’t be giving me a chance to shoot 15(16). 

I wouldn't like my odds against a bear with a 9mm. 45 ACP or 10mm would definitely be the best alternative. Course, I would probably shit myself either way.

26 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

I wouldn't like my odds against a bear with a 9mm. 45 ACP or 10mm would definitely be the best alternative. Course, I would probably shit myself either way.

I know but I figured a 9 was better than nothing. Loud noise, maybe some level of pain. There are some success stories with them though. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

nervous steve carell GIF

• Like 1