Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
BigDHornfan

The Gun Owner’s thread

Recommended Posts


Like the joke goes, my greatest fear is my wife selling my firearms for what I told her I paid...


I said this around my wife the other day (I’m an idiot, right?) and got the tone look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, davidg said:

 


I said this around my wife the other day (I’m an idiot, right?) and got the tone look.

 

My wife would have waited until we were in bed with the lights off for the night before saying, "So.... tell me more about how much you paid for those guns."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t ask what about her shoes and she doesn’t ask about my guns.  
 

Blissful ignorance can be a good thing for all parties.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, but you have to practice with the gun you intend to hunt with. I guess you could weigh it down on a lead sled, but you still should practice shooting from positions like you would in the field.

 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Sorry to burst bubbles, but friend is selling me his savage 30-06 with a case and some ammo for $400. I shall take my savings and invest in an optic. 

I think you'll be happy with .30-06

I second the practice with what you intend to shoot in the positions you're going to shoot from in the field.  If you're hunting from a box blind practice from sitting, but if you are stalking figure that out now.  Do you need a bi-pod, shooting stick, prone blanket? Are you going to sit, stand, etc. 

It galls me to hear of or see a wounded animal that should have gone down except the "hunter" couldn't bother to practice. 

Edited by TexasEd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Or get on of those AR-10's chambered for .45-70 rounds that have had the rim on the base turned down to make it a rimless cartridge. 

Go big or go home - 458 Win Mag!

zkrzolvxh8aa.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, BabaYaga said:

Go big or go home - 458 Win Mag!

zkrzolvxh8aa.jpg

 

Those aren’t rifle cartridges, those are artillery shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

15798fe2fa8d3af1b535859700f02942.jpg
I saw it today.. .300 blk integral suppression. 274ish days until she’s home safe. Then I shall sacrifice her to the lady of the lake. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Then I shall sacrifice her to the lady of the lake. 

That B has a bunch of mine....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, BabaYaga said:

Go big or go home - 458 Win Mag!

zkrzolvxh8aa.jpg

 

I see you've already got some snippy comments about this purchase.

It's clear those people have never had to deal with pesky invasive elephants. Let them come face to face with one of those or pissed off hippo next time they're out and about or let a rhino fuck up their tool shed, then let's ask them what they think about your perfectly reasonable 458 win mag rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jhawk said:

15798fe2fa8d3af1b535859700f02942.jpg
I saw it today.. .300 blk integral suppression. 274ish days until she’s home safe. Then I shall sacrifice her to the lady of the lake. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was peeping one of those from Daniel Defense. Perhaps after my PCC and before my .300 can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used the Silencer Shop offering to setup their trust? Seems like the easiest way to set one up, but figured I’d ping the pros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I see you've already got some snippy comments about this purchase.

It's clear those people have never had to deal with pesky invasive elephants. Let them come face to face with one of those or pissed off hippo next time they're out and about or let a rhino fuck up their tool shed, then let's ask them what they think about your perfectly reasonable 458 win mag rifle.

Or a piggy.  Jesus, let me have this gun and stumble across a sounder under a feeder with good cover and short range!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=7327426

Edited by BabaYaga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

 Then I shall sacrifice her to the lady of the lake. 

 

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That B has a bunch of mine....

She's a watery tart for sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Was peeping one of those from Daniel Defense. Perhaps after my PCC and before my .300 can. 

I got the titanium version. Was expensive but the thing is LIGHT. I’m going to love having this if I can get it before the entire country falls apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I’m going to love having this if I can get it before the entire country falls apart. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7398796

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Or a piggy.  Jesus, let me have this gun and stumble across a sounder under a feeder with good cover and short range!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=7327426

Maybe if you lined up 3 or 4 in a row.

I looked that ammo up at buffalobore. Heh, the Barnes tip runs $6 per shot. 

Won't be plinking much with that, not that your shoulder would have it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Maybe if you lined up 3 or 4 in a row.

I looked that ammo up at buffalobore. Heh, the Barnes tip runs $6 per shot. 

Won't be plinking much with that, not that your shoulder would have it anyway.

LOL, it's worse than .50BMG ammo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone used the Silencer Shop offering to setup their trust? Seems like the easiest way to set one up, but figured I’d ping the pros.

I’ve used their kiosks and app to handle the finger prints and photo. Never messed with the trust though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dirtonia said:

Anyone used the Silencer Shop offering to setup their trust? Seems like the easiest way to set one up, but figured I’d ping the pros.

Super easy and works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at that DD ISR in 300 but opted to get a 300 and can instead. I did that because I wanted the option to put that can on other rifles like my 6.8.

It’s a sweet looking gun though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dirtonia said:

Anyone used the Silencer Shop offering to setup their trust? Seems like the easiest way to set one up, but figured I’d ping the pros.

Yes. Easy as it gets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I looked at that DD ISR in 300 but opted to get a 300 and can instead. I did that because I wanted the option to put that can on other rifles like my 6.8.

It’s a sweet looking gun though.

I thought a lot about this set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck you money gets the ISR. I have an sdn6 that would fit on several of my guns if they weren’t already in a watery grave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I've always wanted to shoot a pig with my 45-70 Govt.

 

Me too....

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 7:46 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I've always wanted to shoot a pig with my 45-70 Govt.

Never had the opportunity yet because I always seem to chose choose my AR-10 308. 

Shot a doe with one.  Meh.  Passed through both shoulders.  Seen worse with much smaller calibers.  Betting a larger pig stops the round and it dumps all that kinetic energy inside the big turd and makes for a more impressive port mortem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a pair of Sig P365s last week for my twin sons.  They turn 21 later this year and are taking the LTC course this weekend before going back to their apartment in West Campus.  Found 1 in Austin Academy and 1 in San Antonio Academy, 2-tone gray slide models with manual safety.  Between UT tuition, room and board, insurance, student tickets, and now firearms and LTC classes for these guys, I'm never going to be able to retire.

Edited by Zone Read
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Picked up a pair of Sig P365s last week for my twin sons.  They turn 21 later this year and are taking the LTC course this weekend before going back to their apartment in West Campus.  Found 1 in Austin Academy and 1 in San Antonio Academy, 2-tone gray slide models with manual safety.  Between UT tuition, room and board, insurance, student tickets, and now firearms and LTC classes for these guys, I'm never going to be able to retire.

Awesome. I love mine. Been my EDC for 18 months now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Awesome. I love mine. Been my EDC for 18 months now 

I've been carrying mine for about that long also.  It is an awesome CCW.  My twins fell in love with it.  One pulled a 4.0 this semester, the other just barely missed it but made the cut for the Texas Creative program (humblebrag) so I figured they deserved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, tx 3 putt said:

 

any pics or videos ?

I haven't killed anything impressive, but that is by design.  I go after the young ones.  The meat is the most important thing to me.  I don't really give a shit about antlers.  The older "trophy bulls" are fairly gamey tasting, plus a large bull can net you close to 800 or 900 pounds of meat.  That's too much for me and my wife to eat in a year.  Up here most people consider a trophy bull to have at least a 60" spread.  The biggest moose I've shot was 32".  About 2 1/2 years old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, Fondren & Main said:

So, what I’m hearing is that I should go ahead and put an order in for a Wilson Combat .458 SOCOM that I don’t need.

Hope you ordered 2, I can always use one.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, Armybrat said:
Me too....
043-A333-B-0-AED-40-CA-81-DD-6-D91-E78-DC3-B3.jpg

Nice... here's my old faithful shoulder blaster.5d6e0fd8ae3719fc0f4157961706439a.jpg

 

Edited by SHOOTER12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Hope you ordered 2, I can always use one.😁

I’m trying to keep my purchases down to one a year lol.  I bought 2 ESD slings though and 2 angled foregrips.  I’m not gonna limit myself on accessories. 🤭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

I’m trying to keep my purchases down to one a year lol.  I bought 2 ESD slings though and 2 angled foregrips.  I’m not gonna limit myself on accessories. 🤭

Damned straight, a man has to know his limitations and stick to his guns (pun intended).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One a year? WTF?

Just gifted the little Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper to my grandson for his 10th birthday yesterday. Had intended to do it on his 13th, but time is drawing short and I’d like to see him enjoy it.

So, there is another empty spot in the safe. Hmmmmmm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know surly is big on its guns. I'm not really a gun guy but I'm going to get a shotgun strictly for home protection. I've got a buddy who is helping me pick something out and get the right accessories, but he is single and doesn't have the same needs that I do to keep everything secure. My kids are getting older, and I don't care if they know that there's a gun in the house, but I absolutely want to make sure it's secure. I know what I was like when I was a teenager, and I remember picking the lock to my dad's drawer to get his .38 just so we could go out into a field and shoot it into the ground. I have to remember that my kid shares my genes and I don't want this to be an option for him. I also don't have a ton of room for storage for a huge safe. I'm not terribly concerned about ultra quick access, I doubt this gun will ever be fired. But I guess in the even that something did ever happen I don't want to be fumbling around with a ton of combinations and keylocks. My current thought process is that I would keep the gun in a locked closet (not secure) with a biometric trigger lock like this and I would keep the shells somewhere separate but close-by in a small biometric safe like this . Do these seem like decent options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you're gonna get through all those security devices when someone is breaking into your house? Buy a pistol, keep it loaded with a round in the pipe, and you can keep that in a small biometric pistol safe. And, go out and shoot the thing so you know how to use it when the need arises. My .02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I know surly is big on its guns. I'm not really a gun guy but I'm going to get a shotgun strictly for home protection. I've got a buddy who is helping me pick something out and get the right accessories, but he is single and doesn't have the same needs that I do to keep everything secure. My kids are getting older, and I don't care if they know that there's a gun in the house, but I absolutely want to make sure it's secure. I know what I was like when I was a teenager, and I remember picking the lock to my dad's drawer to get his .38 just so we could go out into a field and shoot it into the ground. I have to remember that my kid shares my genes and I don't want this to be an option for him. I also don't have a ton of room for storage for a huge safe. I'm not terribly concerned about ultra quick access, I doubt this gun will ever be fired. But I guess in the even that something did ever happen I don't want to be fumbling around with a ton of combinations and keylocks. My current thought process is that I would keep the gun in a locked closet (not secure) with a biometric trigger lock like this and I would keep the shells somewhere separate but close-by in a small biometric safe like this . Do these seem like decent options?

There are some smaller (less quantity) long arm safes, for not much money.  Not stack-on type crap, but heavy duty stuff.  I assume you can spare 18"x18" of closet floor space for something as important as keeping a gun away from children.  Good deals around the holidays, under $500.  Also, you can store ammo and any other thing you need to keep safe in there.  Titles/deeds/jewelry/nudes of wife.  That would be the way I'd approach it, and likely will at some point.  

Something like this.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30

 

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

but time is drawing short

After several centuries, now time is short?

 

19 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I’m trying to keep my purchases down to one a year quarter lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not getting a hand gun. I'm not getting anything that's going to shoot through walls. I do not think the likelihood of someone breaking into my house is a large piece of the puzzle in why I'm looking for an extra layer of home protection. That said it's definitely a component of "home protection" and the point about having to go through extra layers of security in such an event is a good one. Perhaps a single safe would be a better option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not getting a hand gun. I'm not getting anything that's going to shoot through walls. I do not think the likelihood of someone breaking into my house is a large piece of the puzzle in why I'm looking for an extra layer of home protection. That said it's definitely a component of "home protection" and the point about having to go through extra layers of security in such an event is a good one. Perhaps a single safe would be a better option. 

Anything that makes a decent defensive weapon (and a lot that won't) is going to go through interior walls.  Including a 12 gauge.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One good thing of about a shotgun, at least a pump, is that the sound of racking one has to tremendously frightening to someone on the other end.    I'm completely leaving out the discussion of short stroking them, jamming them up, etc. because I don't necessarily agree with it, and you should research all that.  But that sound, every single person knows what it is, like a rattlesnake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not getting a hand gun. I'm not getting anything that's going to shoot through walls. I do not think the likelihood of someone breaking into my house is a large piece of the puzzle in why I'm looking for an extra layer of home protection. That said it's definitely a component of "home protection" and the point about having to go through extra layers of security in such an event is a good one. Perhaps a single safe would be a better option. 

Perhaps you should not buy a gun at all if you are not going to take the responsibility to get proper training and sufficient practice to attain a modicum of proficiency. Not to mention educating your kids about firearms.

You probably would be safe enough with your big dog, a secured house, and plenty of pepper spray.

JMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

One good thing of about a shotgun, at least a pump, is that the sound of racking one has to tremendously frightening to someone on the other end.    I'm completely leaving out the discussion of short stroking them, jamming them up, etc. because I don't necessarily agree with it, and you should research all that.  But that sound, every single person knows what it is, like a rattlesnake.

I think that old meme is probably overstated. 
I say that even with my Winchester Defender 20” barrel 12 gauge pump loaded with 8 rounds of 00 Buck within arm’s reach of my side of the bed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I think that old meme is probably overstated. 
I say that even with my Winchester Defender 20” barrel 12 gauge pump loaded with 8 rounds of 00 Buck within arm’s reach of my side of the bed. 

Maybe so.  I know it would make me reevaluate my situation if I was doing something I shouldn't be and heard it.  By reevaluate, I mean gtfo and in a hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

One good thing of about a shotgun, at least a pump, is that the sound of racking one has to tremendously frightening to someone on the other end.    I'm completely leaving out the discussion of short stroking them, jamming them up, etc. because I don't necessarily agree with it, and you should research all that.  But that sound, every single person knows what it is, like a rattlesnake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...