The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The backup for my nightstand pistol is this old Winchester 1200 Defender 12 ga. Eight shot pump. I have a pistol grip for it, but when installed, the recoil from a standard 00 2&3/4 was just too much. So back on went the original wood buttstock.

Now I see they make “tactical” stocks with a pistol grip. This one is $95 in stock at Brownell’s. Am very interested, so what say you, Surly?

927DCE8A-2399-4D6A-8E2E-82A5E027C3FF.jpeg

5EA59299-7A51-4866-A61A-0B79735FE5CB.jpeg

...as is.

2 minutes ago, fluff said:

Looking to buy a .22 pistol for plinking, what is the latest and greatest?

I was gifted a Ruger Mark I many years ago.  Very accurate and fun pistol.  Not sure how the latest in the line (Mark IV I think?) compares, but I'd suspect it's largely the same or better.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yes, I'm a big dude, so fitting would be a definite requirement. My current (tubed) 682 has a ton of cast off and an extra inch and a half on the stock and an adjustable comb, which would have to be done (is done) for any new gun I buy. Larry Feland could do it for me, but then I'm taking this beautiful wood and fucking it up as soon as I buy the gun. I'm cool doing that to my $2k Beretta and a couple of 1100's that I use to hunt. Much less cool cutting up the stock on something this nice and expensive. 

Seems as if I' going to spend $40k on a gun, I could spend that money on myself and order one from Italy that's made to fit from the start. And I could get slightly less nice engraving and instead fly to Italy and get it fitted and pick it up at the factory. 

You guys and the talk of $40K Perazzi.  I thought I was dreaming big with Ceasar Guerini (The Austin rep fitted my Beretta if you're interested in his contact info).  I "settled for a used Silver pigeon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

You guys and the talk of $40K Perazzi.  I thought I was dreaming big with Ceasar Guerini (The Austin rep fitted my Beretta if you're interested in his contact info).  I "settled for a used Silver pigeon. 

On 7/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, fattyflattie said:

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. One of those Etchen 20/28 combos with fantastic wood and will continue to lust after my P.  Or split the middle and grab a CG. 

Sir, you are not alone on the CG.  I assume you are talking about Mr. Crocker?  He's typically got quite a few on gunbroker.  I got VERY close on a Maxum once but chickened out.  

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sir, you are not alone on the CG.  I assume you are talking about Mr. Crocker?  He's typically got quite a few on gunbroker.  I got VERY close on a Maxum once but chickened out.  

Yes, August Crocker is a good guy.  Taught me a lot about the fit of a shotgun and took a production model I could not shoot and fixed the LOP and drop angle for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fluff said:

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

I was gifted a Ruger Mark I many years ago.  Very accurate and fun pistol.  Not sure how the latest in the line (Mark IV I think?) compares, but I'd suspect it's largely the same or better.

My Mark II is ridiculously accurate and easy to shoot with open sights. 

It has put down a lot of pigs (mini mags) and dillos (SSS)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fluff said:

As far as “latest” - read some reviews on the CP-33 from Keltec .  Guns and Ammo mag just did a review and it sounds kind of cool.  33 stands for 33 round capacity which is great for plinking with a 22. 
Accuracy was exceptional based on their trials. 

Edited by Reagan1k

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

As far as “latest” - read some reviews on the CP-33 from Keltec .  Guns and Ammo mag just did a review and it sounds kind of cool.  33 stands for 33 round capacity which is great for plinking with a 22. 
Accuracy was exceptional based on their trials. 

that thing looks like a hoot. 

6 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

She decided to come home with me.  Wouldn't take no for an answer

IMG_20200713_164633.jpg

Alright, where did you find one and do they have another? 

I should add that I really love my XDM and am on the fence with a hellcat. 

Edited by castolon

Since I gifted both my ARs to sons a couple of years ago, I decided to acquire another social distancing device. This Ruger PC Carbine  is a 9mm takedown, and uses the same 17 round magazines as my Ruger SR9. It also comes with a magwell adapter so it can take all Glock doublestack 9mm mags, even the 33 round sticks.

503BE339-5B14-41F2-888C-4BC18081B448.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Since I gifted both my ARs to sons a couple of years ago, I decided to acquire another social distancing device. This Ruger PC Carbine  is a 9mm takedown, and uses the same 17 round magazines as my Ruger SR9. It also comes with a magwell adapter so it can take all Glock doublestack 9mm mags, even the 33 round sticks.

503BE339-5B14-41F2-888C-4BC18081B448.jpeg

I think I'm about to order one of these.  Been debating it for a few weeks now.  Bad timing but whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

They are hard to find. Sportsman’s Warehouse might still have some.

Got mine from GrabaGun, but they are out of stock now, and their prices are creeping up like everybody else’s.
just have to keep looking around.

Brat, what was the pre-spike price?  There were tons on gunbroker a week or two ago.

• Like 1

Six months ago GrabaGun had the standard model like mine listed for $470. In March that was bumped to $500 as the panic buying started, then in May it went up to $520. Of course they were in stock/out of stock/in stock several times.

When I got my last email notification July 8th, they were up to $530. But I jumped on it anyway, as they were not to be found at any of the major online retailers. One hour after I made the purchase, they were out of stock again.... but now listed at $550. Shipments seem to be very sporadic, so am guessing they will undoubtedly show up at other sites at almost any price. 
Of course there are several versions with fancier handguards at higher prices.

I never looked at Gunbroker. What have they been asking for them over there?

GT Distributors has them listed for $520, but currently out of stock.

At GrabaGun you can register an account and sign up for email notifications for any model you want.

(I did that for a Colt Single Action Army .45 about 3 years ago. Didn’t hear anything for two years, then all of a sudden inthe space of three moths early last year I got two notifications that some were in stock. However I was too late to react and... snooze/lose).

Edited by Armybrat

Quick glance shows they are almost all gone, but there are a few pre-owned for 500-550.       I'll keep my eyes on it, but looks like someone grabbed a bunch of them, as they were pretty readily available.  I was trying to figure out 9 vs 40 and missed it.  

eta: found a few new ones for $700-ish.  

Edited by fattyflattie

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I think I'm about to order one of these.  Been debating it for a few weeks now.  Bad timing but whatever.

Funny, so am I.  They are just fantastic.  Great fun for kids/wife.  Accurate.  Reliable.  Make a great, great home defense option that is arguably better in every way than a pistol or shotgun.  Hell of a great truck gun as well.  

Anyone else installed a Romeo Zero on their 365XL?  Bought one last week and stripped the shit out of one of the screws trying to get the rear sight and plate off to install the Zero.  Had to send it off to Sig to get the screw removed and am awaiting its return. Apparently, it's a common occurrence, at least according to the inter web.  

On 7/12/2020 at 2:53 PM, Armybrat said:

The backup for my nightstand pistol is this old Winchester 1200 Defender 12 ga. Eight shot pump. I have a pistol grip for it, but when installed, the recoil from a standard 00 2&3/4 was just too much. So back on went the original wood buttstock.

Now I see they make “tactical” stocks with a pistol grip. This one is $95 in stock at Brownell’s. Am very interested, so what say you, Surly?

927DCE8A-2399-4D6A-8E2E-82A5E027C3FF.jpeg

5EA59299-7A51-4866-A61A-0B79735FE5CB.jpeg

I have something like this on an 870.  I'd say it reduces felt recoil by at least half.  Well worth it IMO.  Mine is the Blackhawk SpecOps Gen 2.

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

I have something like this on an 870.  I'd say it reduces felt recoil by at least half.  Well worth it IMO.  Mine is the Blackhawk SpecOps Gen 2.

My back-up defense strategy involves an 870 as well, but I'm not going to shoot the perp with it.  I'm going to offer it to him and when I hand him my extended tube Marine Magnum he'll buckle at the knees due to the weight and then I'll have the upper hand.  Damn that's a heavy gun!!!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Anyone else installed a Romeo Zero on their 365XL?  Bought one last week and stripped the shit out of one of the screws trying to get the rear sight and plate off to install the Zero.  Had to send it off to Sig to get the screw removed and am awaiting its return. Apparently, it's a common occurrence, at least according to the inter web.  

Obligatory

vk0wjyv40uf11.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

My back-up defense strategy involves an 870 as well, but I'm not going to shoot the perp with it.  I'm going to offer it to him and when I hand him my extended tube Marine Magnum he'll buckle at the knees due to the weight and then I'll have the upper hand.  Damn that's a heavy gun!!!!!

You really think an 870 is “heavy”? 
Gus McRae is rolling over in his grave.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

You really think an 870 is “heavy”? 
Gus McRae is rolling over in his grave.

Yeah, well he’s Gus and I’m a not- plus after handling them for decades it still surprises me how heavy that sucker feels compared to a standard 870.  

• Like 1

I just bought 2 ARs, one LWRC mid carbine NATO 556 and a Colt LE6940 .  Looking for a suppressor.  Anybody have experience with Texas Silencer Company suppressors out of Weatherford TX?

What did that Colt run? I’ve been wanting one for a while. Never can make myself spend my the money.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

What did that Colt run? I’ve been wanting one for a while. Never can make myself spend my the money.

I got it at Spring guns & ammo (Houston area) for $1050.  Colt just started making a few of them again for the public and I happened to be there when they got it in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

I got it at Spring guns & ammo (Houston area) for $1050.  Colt just started making a few of them again for the public and I happened to be there when they got it in.

Interesting - I did not read that Colt had re-entered the commercial market after their public pull-out.  I need to check that out.

9 hours ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Dammit. I’d pay that for one.

Damn good deal, as many outlets are asking $1,800.

• Like 1