The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yeah - I can still buy ammo directly from Lazzeroni.  I actually traded emails with John Lazzeroni last week and he's behind on his ammo production right now, but its available.

I'll probably just stockpile the brass for now in the event he ceases production.  I really don't want to start reloading at this point in my life.....maybe later.

It's an incredibly versatile short action round.

I've shot one of his "real" rifles (not a Sako version)  in 7.82 Warbird which is the long magnum and it was a damn death ray.

We'll see what happens.  

CARTRIDGE BULLET VELOCITY
in Feet per Second
ENERGY
in Foot-Pounds
PATH OF BULLET
Above or below line-of-sight of riflescopes mounted 2" above bore
Cartridge Weight
Grains
Muzzle 100
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Muzzle 100
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
Yards
(.284)
TOMAHAWK®
(.308)
PATRIOT®
150*
180*
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I actually traded emails with John Lazzeroni last week and he's behind on his ammo production right now,

That is super cool!  Honestly, it's not that far off price wise from those specialized Weatherby calibers that often run $70-$80/box.  I say dive in and have fun with it.  Assuming this is more for recreational long-range shooting?  What is the ballistic coefficient of the bullet?  Know any shooters that use the round?  Betting they would be a wealth of knowledge on the specifics and quirks of the round.  

Sorry. I have a life. Those prices are high, but I have found cheap ammo on ammoseek. If you NEED ammo, you can get it. If you want to go down to Red’s and poke holes in paper, then wait in line at Academy. I’d rather have .75 a pew ammo and not need it than not have .22 a round ammo and need it. 

So ammo on ammoseek is .75 per vs academy’s .22 per. That was my point.

Outside of a very rare offering by bass pro or cabelas for around .28 per (talking 9mm) that sell out immediately and sometimes don’t ship at all, ammoseek does not provide academy prices. Not on 9mm.

I check ammoseek every day. I have found some decent pricing on 6.5 grendel and 6.5 creedmoor as well as some .308, but those have been escalating in price too.

Academy has the best ammo prices in the country right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

686, great Wby.   The wood looks pretty fantastic from that one pic. 

Thanks; the wood has some nice things going on. It’s an older custom gun with an FN Mauser action. I bought it for around $8-900 a few years ago, which was a deal that gets more satisfying over time. Awesome trigger pull (1 1/2-2 lbs maybe) and very accurate (with lighter bullets) - I tried some heavier bullets that wouldn’t group, so it must be a 1:12 twist barrel. I’ve always been a heavy-for-caliber bullet guy, but I'm kinda enjoying the 150 grains at ~3400fps right now.

Here it is with the vintage leupold it came with and before I had the barrel threaded. I struggled with the decision to thread the barrel and run a brake, but the aesthetics don’t bother me now and it made it the gun easier on the shoulder than my 270.

98813ecde1f4315addc86c92ecb859fc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5

Great looking rifle, does the brake make it loud?

Probably; I always shoot it with ear protection so I don’t notice. If I was taking it on a guided hunt where somebody close might not have ear protection, I’d take the brake off and put the thread protector on. The unbraked recoil of my Magnum rifles when shooting off sticks isn’t a problem at all; but shooting hunched over off a bench or prone without a brake can wear me down quickly.

Probably; I always shoot it with ear protection so I don’t notice. If I was taking it on a guided hunt where somebody close might not have ear protection, I’d take the brake off and put the thread protector on. The unbraked recoil of my Magnum rifles when shooting off sticks isn’t a problem at all; but shooting hunched over off a bench or prone without a brake can wear me down quickly.

Put a suppressor on it you fucking savage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Put a suppressor on it you fucking savage

Yeah I just got more quick disconnects for my Sig suppressor that I could consider, but the juxtaposition of a battle rifle suppressor on a classic hunting rifle might short circuit my brain.

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Thanks; the wood has some nice things going on. It’s an older custom gun with an FN Mauser action. I bought it for around $8-900 a few years ago, which was a deal that gets more satisfying over time. Awesome trigger pull (1 1/2-2 lbs maybe) and very accurate (with lighter bullets) - I tried some heavier bullets that wouldn’t group, so it must be a 1:12 twist barrel. I’ve always been a heavy-for-caliber bullet guy, but I'm kinda enjoying the 150 grains at ~3400fps right now.

Here it is with the vintage leupold it came with and before I had the barrel threaded. I struggled with the decision to thread the barrel and run a brake, but the aesthetics don’t bother me now and it made it the gun easier on the shoulder than my 270.

98813ecde1f4315addc86c92ecb859fc.jpg

It reminds me of an old Flaigs rifle I picked up awhile back, but with better wood.  I couldn't tell in first pic if it was an old wby or a sporterized something.  Damn fine rifle though.  Don't sell it, unless it's to me.

• Like 1

It reminds me of an old Flaigs rifle I picked up awhile back, but with better wood.  I couldn't tell in first pic if it was an old wby or a sporterized something.  Damn fine rifle though.  Don't sell it, unless it's to me.

Ha! This rifle is a Flaig’s as well. Those old boys knew a few things.

Yeah I just got more quick disconnects for my Sig suppressor that I could consider, but the juxtaposition of a battle rifle suppressor on a classic hunting rifle might short circuit my brain.

I can’t bring myself to have the barrel on my hunting rifle threaded. It’s about the only pretty gun I own. One of the first rifles I bought new too. I figure fuck it, I’ll get a .308 with a threaded barrel and make it quiet.

50 minutes ago, 686 said:

Ha! This rifle is a Flaig’s as well. Those old boys knew a few things.

Nice.  Yes they did.  I have two.  I have an old Mauser with HEAVY 28" barrel in 6mm-06, forearm rail, and beavertail stock.  Also a Sako .243 Deluxe that had barrel and trigger work done by them.  Got both in the last year or so.  Love them.  Both have some really plus wood (like all my stuff) but that's a really nice one you got there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 686 said:

It's amazing the difference body position can make with regards to felt recoil. I have a .50 BMG bolt action (with a break of course, I'm not dumb) that isn't bad to shoot in any kind of stance where you can easily absorb the recoil, but try and shoot it prone...well let's just say I abandoned that experiment after about the third shot.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/6/2020 at 10:37 PM, Jkwellborn said:

I can’t bring myself to have the barrel on my hunting rifle threaded. It’s about the only pretty gun I own. One of the first rifles I bought new too. I figure fuck it, I’ll get a .308 with a threaded barrel and make it quiet.

I hear you. I can’t bring myself to do it either. I also haven’t put a single round through any of them since my first suppressor came home a couple years ago. 

33 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, for hunting I'm not sure a thread barrel makes sense. Though it didn't decrease accuracy, running a can changes things a good amount. 

It is great for being in the blind with younger/newer shooters (rifle with a can) so you can talk them through everything and not having to worry so much about excessive ear protection. 

*wish I had a range of that distance near me.  Long shots are so much fun.  Ranch used to have prairie dog towns on it.  I have friends that went to Tech that talk about taking their .223/22.250s out and really stretching their legs on towns @ 600yds+ in W.Texas. 

Yesterday I got a nice surprise.  My wife brought home a 1st edition of "The Winchester Book" by George Madis that she found at an estate sale.

Damn - that's an incredible book.  I spent all evening flipping through.  The level of detail and the photos are amazing.

Now she's pissed because I liked it so much and was so grateful that she wishes she had saved it for an Xmas present instead of just laying it on the counter and asking if I wanted it.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does anybody else watch the Hickok45 youtube channel?

I love this guy. He's like America's gun grandpa teaching you gun stuff with good advice, safety tips, corny jokes and stories. And he shoots stuff. 

I love how giddy he gets shooting a jar full of water for the 1000th time

Edited by BayouBill

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Yesterday I got a nice surprise.  My wife brought home a 1st edition of "The Winchester Book" by George Madis that she found at an estate sale.

Damn - that's an incredible book.  I spent all evening flipping through.  The level of detail and the photos are amazing.

Now she's pissed because I liked it so much and was so grateful that she wishes she had saved it for an Xmas present instead of just laying it on the counter and asking if I wanted it.

I’ve got a copy, but don’t recall if it is a 1st edition.

Back in the day, the two best gun history hardcover books were Madis’ Winchesters and James Serven’s Colt Firearms..

Your wife is awesome! The rep is for her.

Edited by Armybrat

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Guy can shoot.  I get the repetitive nature of his own range, but he can ring steel like no other.  I was watching him review the little P365 SAS and he was ringing that back gong over and over and over.  50 yds?  75+?  It's way back there.

And let’s try the cowboy ....  bam!     Ding!

On Friday in the mad dash to get ammo at Academy I mistakenly picked up 9mm in steel casing.  I did a quick check and saw the word "brass" so I grabbed it and headed to the counter.  It turns out that it is brass jacketed but steel casing.  What can I use this ammo for?  I don't have any land and live in Plano so the gun range is my only place to shoot.

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

How many rounds? Someone locally will buy it, especially if you don’t jack up the price too much. Or just take it to a small gun shop and trade it for something else.

I purchased 6 boxes of Winchester 9mm 150 rounds for $32.99 plus tax.  I would gladly part with the ammo at my cost.

ammo.jpg

Edited by TexasGary
pic
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sorry for the horrible picture.

Another buddy of mine found this old school Colt Woodsman in a box of crap his ex was going to take to the landfill. It had been her dad's. Texted this pic to one local gunsmith who suggested cerakote to look blued.

Lots of rust. No serial number that I could see and a wild looking Bakelite grip. bcfb5c625e3af9dfb75c7fd08a79ca5f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1