The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

16 hours ago, TexasGary said:

.260 for the longest time was the bell of the ball for long distance shooters.  Still is for many.  It's a long bullet, like the 6.5CM (with higher powder capacity), so as long as the twist rate is correct, it will stabilize quite well and the ballistic coefficient is fantastic.  Earlier production rifles never really dialed in the best TR for the .260, so outside of the mentioned shooting professionals, it never really gained traction as stock rifles were not able to optimize its performance.  

Round 2 of the CMP 1911 sales are about to begin.  (editorial - it is NOT hard to qualify for CMP purchase requirements)
 · 
CMP 1911 Update!

Round 2 of CMP 1911 orders will officially reopen from January 4, 2021 through March 4, 2021.

Every applicant will be treated as a new customer to CMP 1911!

Only mail orders will be accepted and customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the random number generator.

Only ONE CMP 1911 order form packet per customer, per envelope, may be submitted!

If you have already purchased a 1911 whether from the RGN system or the Auction Site, you are not eligible to purchase another 1911.

Find ALL details and information here: https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-sales-information/

I've heard a majority of ammo shortages have to do with primer shortages (apparently most of the factories have been slowed to a crawl with Covid or they are imported)

Most of the industry commercial ammo manufacturers have statements on their website saying that they have everything they need to load ammo except primers.  

Meanwhile, I just traded ammo for two more guns today (Sig P320 XCompact and a Beretta 21A in 22LR lol)  Thanks Obama.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, krevo said:

I've heard a majority of ammo shortages have to do with primer shortages (apparently most of the factories have been slowed to a crawl with Covid or they are imported)

Most of the industry commercial ammo manufacturers have statements on their website saying that they have everything they need to load ammo except primers.  

Meanwhile, I just traded ammo for two more guns today (Sig P320 XCompact and a Beretta 21A in 22LR lol)  Thanks Obama.

That's brilliant. Trading something you won't need for something you can keep forever is brilliant.

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Woot! Wife finally agreed to get her ltc which means I’ve gotta buy a couple more handguns.

I mean she needs to be able to test fire them and pick out her favorite.

I’m a great husband for being so considerate of her needs.

image.jpeg.577f84341295bb5e65f4315259dbb31b.jpeg
From the Simpsons gun owners episode, so appropriate. 

Edited by Al Czervik

If anyone is local to the Austin area and in desperate need for some hunting ammo - I can likely help out.  My suggestion is to hop on over to ammoseek and just spend the money on 200+ rounds of hunting ammo in bulk so you don't have to go through this shit again after the next school shooting.  

I happen to luckily catch Federal on a rare night when their law enforcement section actually had ammo in stock. Was able to snag 6 boxes of Fusion 180gr .308 ammo.

Now day 14 of this 15-20 estimated wait is annoying. Despite having enough to last me this season I keep fearing the email that they oversold or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, Armybrat said:

If you ever get a chance to acquire one of these little Winchester 9422 rifles at a reasonable price, do it. The action is butter smooth and fit & finish is high quality.

C4CBE2E5-26B2-48D9-AF05-496BB31F95BC.jpeg

Went the Henry Golden Boy route.  Arguably one of my favorite guns and both kids fight over who gets to shoot it.  They are a blast to have.  

• Like 1

Brat, mine looks exactly like the one you have pictured. Wonder what year they stopped with the full checkering? I went to some of the online auctions and very few of the 9422’s they show have the checkering. Huge difference in appearance in the models with and without. Thanks mom and dad for the awesome .22!

7 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I feel @BurntEyes would like this guy on how thorough he is with teaching people how to better shoot.

I give the guy pos rep for the old school Jones style camo hat.  Girlfriend in 9th grade gave me one with the folddown earflaps for Christmas 1979.  Still hangs on the hat rack in the garage.  

23 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Nice! Academy mornings are the way to go. How is the 320?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 320 is the smoothest thing I have ever shot.  The sights were calibrated out of the box and I hammered the center target at 14 yards.  Very little recoil and a dream to shoot.  I also invested in a Maglula as the new magazines were tough to load.  I highly recommend a Maglula.

• Like 1

The 320 is the smoothest thing I have ever shot.  The sights were calibrated out of the box and I hammered the center target at 14 yards.  Very little recoil and a dream to shoot.  I also invested in a Maglula as the new magazines were tough to load.  I highly recommend a Maglula.

They are pretty smooth. Ive really liked my VTAC.

Next up is a hellfire or 365. Not sure which. Then a 320X carry after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I also invested in a Maglula as the new magazines were tough to load.  I highly recommend a Maglula.

Yep.  Did the same with my little 365.  Sub-compact mags are a nightmare.  I sat at my desk on ZOOM calls with the camera off just loading and uploading them to loosen up the springs.  

So I've been thinking a lot more than I should lately about what the perfect varmint/critter ranch rifle/pistol combo would look like lately, and I think I've stumbled upon a pretty good idea.

Bar-sto (and maybe some other companies) make conversion barrels for Glocks to shoot .30 Luger (rated for about 34,000 psi), which fits in your standard 9mm magazines and maybe only requires a lighter spring in addition to the barrel to cycle correctly. With a 55 or 60 grain projectile, I've seen where guys are pushing it up to almost 2000 fps. Now, if you take a 9x23 Winchester case (rated for 55,000) you can run it through a die for for the .30 Luger that has been offset a bit to allow for the extra length and neck it down to .30 fairly easily. Then all you need is to ream out the shoulder a few thousandths so your new round fits and you can load it with short light bullets that will fit in your standard Glock magazine. And then you should easily be able to push a light bullet over 2000 fps for shooting varmints and critters at the ranch. Build out a carbine for it and it should be a handy relatively flat shooting gun that uses the same magazines as your pistol.

At least that is an idea I've been toying around with. Would be a fun project if nothing else and a relatively simple entry into the world of wildcatting.

27 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Looks like this weekend is going to be a good opportunity to purchase a light for my new 320.  Do you guys prefer Streamlight, OLight, or some other brand?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082298RWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put this on my 250 (same body as the 320) and love it. Cheap too.

IMG_20201124_164515.jpg

Edited by BayouBill
  • Like 1

Buying a scope for mi Mini-14. Any thoughts on Vortex crossfire vs Diamondback?

The vortex tiers from top to bottom are

Razor
Golden eagle
Viper
Strike eagle
Diamondback tactical
Diamondback
Crossfire
Sonora
Copperhead

So the crossfire and diamondback are close and depending on the scope can be better quality and/or features but close on price also. I think the diamondback tactical is the lowest level you can get a FFP though, maybe...

The insustry has gun owners over a barrel. Not to cloak this thread up but certain current events are fake but the ammo shortage is real? Among gun owners who generally keep shit on hand for a crisis?

This is from a Florida Panhandle outdoor shop where I buy fishing stuff and NO GUNS because it's a Fn ripoff under normal circumstances. c34d32ba7f37b2e92b684f53993486fe.jpg

3 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

The insustry has gun owners over a barrel. Not to cloak this thread up but certain current events are fake but the ammo shortage is real? Among gun owners who generally keep shit on hand for a crisis?

This is from a Florida Panhandle outdoor shop where I buy fishing stuff and NO GUNS because it's a Fn ripoff under normal circumstances. c34d32ba7f37b2e92b684f53993486fe.jpg

Trade war + Gun owners being easy marks = shortages/high ammo prices 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do t know what a FN five seven is but my local place just got one and threw it up on Facebook. Nice looking but spendy. 

That’s what the shitbag Hasan shot up the Ft Hood processing center with (have they fried this pos yet?).   Deadly little round designed to defeat soft body armor.

• Like 1

The FN 5.7x28mm is what got me thinking about a possible wildcat that would have a little bit more diameter for varmints and critters that could also be shot in a carbine. Was thinking something flat shooting, but with a small enough case to cramp a bunch in a standard pistol magazine. Originally, I was thinking a .30 carbine trimmed back and necked down to .25 caliber, but the .30 carbine case just can't take that much pressure. Then I stumbled upon some posts on Glock Talk about a .30 luger conversion for Glocks. Guy was getting almost 2000 fps with like 55 grain bullets. But if you take 9x23 Winchester, you can use the .30 luger dies with a little set back for the extra length to make basically the same round but just a tad longer and out of a case that's rated for an extra 20,000 psi. With the right bullets, they should fit in a standard 9mm pistol mag. So a barrel(s) swap, a few twists with a reamer, and a little reloading should be able to get you a round that gets close to the same velocity, but is .30 cal instead of .22 and fits in a standard magazine for both common pistols and the carbines that accept their magazines.