The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

The CMP just put out an email saying they are going to release the 1st batch of 1911's for sale in a lottery format.  There is more info on their site, but it looks like the website has crashed.

Here's the text from the email for those interested......

CMP 1911s Update - 5/9/2018:

While the National Defense Authorization Act granted transfer of a maximum of 10,000 1911s per year to the CMP, the Secretary of the Army allowed only 8,000 1911s to be transferred to the CMP for sale and distribution this fiscal year. Some of those are anticipated to be unusual and worthy of being auctioned. The remaining number will be sold based on a computerized Random Number Generator. 

The CMP does not know what next year's allotment might be.

The CMP has additional details regarding the 1911s for sale through CMP 1911. Please visit our website at www.TheCMP.org/1911/ to view updated Sales Information.

Mark Johnson

Chief Operating Officer

Civilian Marksmanship Program

www.thecmp.org

Site is back up intermittently -  Here's the text in case it crashes again.

The latest information on the 1911's will be posted on this page. 

If you would like to sign up for our Sales Email Updates, please visit thecmp.org/email/.

MAY 9, 2018

While the National Defense Authorization Act granted transfer of a maximum of 10,000 1911s per year to the CMP, the Secretary of the Army allowed only 8,000 1911s to be transferred to the CMP for sale and distribution this fiscal year. Some of those are anticipated to be unusual and worthy of being auctioned. The remaining number will be sold based on a computerized Random Number Generator.

The CMP does not know what next year’s allotment might be.

THE PROCEDURES FOR PURCHASING 1911 TYPE PISTOLS FROM CMP 1911

Every applicant will be treated as a new customer to CMP.  

Previous purchases or relationships with CMP create no advantage or disadvantage to the customer.  

CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has its own record keeping operation with no ties to the existing CMP records.  

CMP 1911 CUSTOMER PURCHASE DETAILS:

1. CMP 1911 order form packet will be posted on the CMP website thecmp.org on 4 June 2018 for download – click on CMP 1911 icon.
  2. CMP 1911 customer service number is 256-835-8455 extension 461.
  3. CMP 1911 customer service email address cmp1911@thecmp.org.
  4. Only ONE CMP 1911 order form packet per customer may be submitted.
  5. CMP 1911 order form packet must be mailed to the following address. This includes USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. Orders must be postmarked NOT PRIOR TO 4 September 2018 and NOT AFTER 4 October 2018.  Any orders received postmarked prior to September 4 will not be accepted.  Hand delivered, emailed and faxed orders will not be accepted. Only orders sent to the following CMP 1911 address will be accepted:     

CMP 1911
1800 Roberts Drive
Anniston, AL 36207

1. Customer names from complete CMP 1911 order form packets will be fed into a computerized Random Number Generator on 5 October 2018. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequential order through the random picking process. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator. The CMP 1911 customers will select their grade of pistol (Service, Field or Rack) from available inventory at the time of order notification. Customers with higher numbers may have fewer grades from which to choose. When this year’s allotment of 1911s is exhausted, the remaining orders will be held in the existing sequence for all future allotments of 1911s. The CMP does not know what future allotments might be.

CMP 1911 FFL CONTACT INFORMATION DETAILS:

All 1911’s will be shipped to a 01, 02 or 07 Federal Firearms License. Customers MUST provide a signed copy of the 01, 02 or 07 FFL.

1. CMP 1911 dedicated fax number 256-831-2354 for FFL dealers to fax their FFLs with the customer’s name attached.
  2. CMP 1911 dedicated email address cmp1911FFL@thecmp.org to send their FFLs with customer's name attached.
  3. CMP 1911 is currently accepting FFL contacts pursuant to FFL requirements.

CMP 1911 PRICING:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation. 

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.

ADDITIONAL CMP 1911 DETAILS:

1. Potential purchasers will have to provide CMP with a set of CMP 1911 documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a completed 1911 order form, including a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, or 02, or 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.  All qualifying documents must be included in your order packet. No qualifying documents, other than the FFL, will be accepted without an order packet. Note: The signed copy of the FFL may be faxed or emailed to CMP 1911 with the customer name attached. CMP Eligibility Requirements for ordering may be viewed on the CMP website at http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/.
  2. A NICS background check on each customer will be performed by the FBI to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
  3. The CMP customer will be required to complete a Form 4473 in person at the FFL dealer’s place of business and successfully pass a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer. Note: The FFL licensed dealer in which the pistol is retrieved from will have to follow all federal, state, and local laws.
  4. All orders by customers will have to be filled prior to any customer getting the opportunity to purchase a second CMP 1911.
  5. No 1911s will be available in the CMP stores, or on-line. Only mail order sales will be accepted.  All 1911 orders must be delivered via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc. to the CMP 1911 address listed above.  No in store or at the door drop off orders will be accepted.
  6. CMP will stop accepting orders at the end of business on 4 October 2018. Customer’s names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator. The sequenced order for customers will be established and each time CMP receives 1911s, customer orders will be filled in the originally established sequence. No one will be allowed to repeat purchase until all orders are filled.
  7. The customer’s sequence number will be sent to the individual via email once such sequence number is established.
  8. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
  9. Pistol grade and payment arrangement will be established when the customer is contacted by CMP sales staff at time of purchase. DO NOT send payment with your 1911 order. Customers will have 5 days to submit payment once notified.
  10. 1911s from CMP will be allowed in California because they meet the California definition of Curio and Relic. They will ship to 01, or 02, or 07 FFLs in California. At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow the sale of the 1911/1911A1 pistol.  
  11. All required information is included in this release. If you have questions, please email the address listed above. If you choose to call the number listed, please be prepared for a long wait time.

REASONS FOR THE TWO NICS CHECKS:

First Reason:  The first NICS conducted by the FBI for the CMP makes sure the customer can legally possess the 1911 type pistol prior to shipping it to the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL dealer. The CMP, Congress, and the United States Army do not want the 1911 to have to be returned to CMP 1911 if the purchaser is not legal to possess. The more time the pistol is in transit, the more likely it is that it could be lost or stolen. The second NICS check is performed by the FBI for the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL in accordance with their standard transfer procedures and all federal, state, and local laws.   

Second Reason:  CMP’s enabling legislation mandated by Congress specifies that the purchaser “successfully pass a thorough and complete background check”, i.e. NICS.  CMP cannot turn any firearm over to the purchaser until it receives a “proceed” from NICS; the local FFL can turn the pistol over after 72 business hours have elapsed if they have not heard back from NICS. Turning the pistol over after 72 hours and not getting a “proceed” does not satisfy CMP’s enabling legislation mandated by Congress. This leaves CMP no choice but to have a NICS check performed by the FBI and to get a “proceed” to satisfy its enabling legislation, before shipping to the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL dealer.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license holders. CMP’s legislation contained in the 2018 NDAA specifies FFL licensed dealers. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by the FBI on an FFL licensed dealer’s premises.   

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program

Very interesting stuff, but there ain't any elephants or rhinos in West Texas though.
What bullet weights & brand?

Yeah, but if a 150 grain bullet at 2900 FPS is good, then a 270 grain bullet at 2900 FPS is good-er.

All shots were Barnes LRX 270 grain.

9 hours ago, 686 said:

The last couple loads were compressed, and the bolt handle seemed just a little tighter when I opened it after the highest load 

Any signs of pressure on the primer? Not a definitive check, given different primers and different pockets, but it's one additional data point.

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:
Any signs of pressure on the primer? Not a definitive check, given different primers and different pockets, but it's one additional data point.

The 90 grain load looks like it flattened the primer a little, but no cratering around any of the firing pin indentations

4294e513f6c855c8e4fc1bb0decb76e3.jpg

Edited by 686

Isn't the 375 Wby basically an improved 375 H&H?  Why not use 375 H&H as starting loads vs extrapolating from a 30.06?  I haven't compare the specs on both 375s but one would think that almost any 375 H&H load would be within maximum of the Wby.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:10 AM, Armybrat said:

Well, the ones that survived probably are. Maybe the one in question here could be, if not already, rebuilt into something like this Springer....

43766_1.tif&wid=1000&cvt=jpeg

Almost an identical twin of the one I have in 400 Cor Bon.  One of the sweetest, most accurate 1911's I've ever shot.   I bought it as a stainless mil-spec and Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision "bring it up" to basically what you see here.  That man is one hell of a talented gunsmith/gun builder.

22 minutes ago, davidg said:

Isn't the 375 Wby basically an improved 375 H&H?  Why not use 375 H&H as starting loads vs extrapolating from a 30.06?  I haven't compare the specs on both 375s but one would think that almost any 375 H&H load would be within maximum of the Wby.

No reference has published 375 H&H data for the newer slow burning powders that I wanted to try (Superformance, Reloader 26). Regarding both Superformance and Reloader 26, Hodgdon and Alliant only have 12 chamberings of published loads for each. This doesn't really make sense if you're a powder maker trying to get more information out there to help folks select powder. I think its probably for several business reasons:

• Corporate attorneys want to limit published data to limit liability.
  • There is seemingly a lot more profit margin in Magnum ammunition than small stuff, so it wouldn't surprize me at all if the major ammo manufacturers in the Magnum market contract with their powder suppliers to not publish load data for the powders/chamberings they are making.
  • Specifically, I read somewhere that Hornady had an agreement with Hodgdon to limit published load data of Superformance. Hornady sells "Superformance" 375 H&H Ammo, so I imagine Hornady doesn't want their recipe published. (Reloading the exact Hornady Superformance 375 H&H load would cost you around $35/box, versus buying their ammo @ $70 per box)

There is a guy in College Station that has 20 handguns he’s going to need to sell because he’s moving into assisted living and they won’t let him bring his guns. If interested in buying it as a lot, pm me and I will connect you with the seller.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Hi-Point has now joined Springfield and Mossburg in not selling guns to Disk's Sporting Goods.  Absolutely more to follow....

Picture of the CEO of Dick's just released: giphy.gif

High Point.  The burner-phone of weaponry.  

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Hi-Point has now joined Springfield and Mossburg in not selling guns to Disk's Sporting Goods.  Absolutely more to follow....

Picture of the CEO of Dick's just released: giphy.gif

I don't want to cloak this thread so I'm going to do a little dance with some commentary.

I'm surprised to see that these CEOs are so tone deaf.  Pick the company, any company.  When the CEO either states or takes action that is contrary to the leanings of one side of the political spectrum or the other their company has ALWAYS suffered.  Starbucks, Dicks, etc.. Companies don't have to be activists.  They provide a good/service and that is all they provide and all they should want to be seen as providing.  When they step into the political arena they have very consistently limped out of the arena worse off than they were previously.  I just don't get it.  The CEO of dicks should be fired.  His only job is to maximize shareholder value.  Now he can't do that because they don't have any vendors who cater to a large part of the outdoor industry.  What an idiot.

30 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The CEO of dicks ... an idiot.

I think the CEO is the son of Dick (founder). I don't know how much stock the family owns, but it may effectively be "his" company to run into the ground, which, yes, he is doing. Somewhat related: Chick-fil-A is by my estimates shaving close to a billion in revenue by not opening on Sundays. The patrons would be lined up out the door at that place at 12:30 on Sundays. We should have a "Stupid Business Decisions and Idiot CEOs" thread. 

I think the CEO is the son of Dick (founder). I don't know how much stock the family owns, but it may effectively be "his" company to run into the ground, which, yes, he is doing. Somewhat related: Chick-fil-A is by my estimates shaving close to a billion in revenue by not opening on Sundays. The patrons would be lined up out the door at that place at 12:30 on Sundays. We should have a "Stupid Business Decisions and Idiot CEOs" thread. 
That's the same

Friday night reloading recap; say hello to my lil friends:

99cb7d0fdd4400ecd1ad834f20138b2c.jpg

That’s about 50,000 ft-lbs of potential energy. Kinda wild. Discretion being the better part of valor, I dialed back to an 86.5 grain load for this batch, which should give me about 2840 FPS MV. My rifle has liked that velocity with other ammo, so just need to get some time to shoot some groups.

• Like 4

Christmas, 1947 - in front of our Infantry Post quarters, Fort Sam Houston. This is about the time when I first developed an interest in firearms, but evidently had not mastered any skills with the art of the Lariat. (me on the left)

95_E51_DBC_E4_A4_4588_8556_2_EB675_CB424

• Like 3

Fehner and sons firearms in Gonzalez is pretty kick ass. Fairly new place.

He’s stocking Some CZ comp stuff (like the shadow 2 and Target 2 from cz custom shop).

Worth a trip over there. His inventory is the best I’ve ever seen in a family store. He’s got 1mm+ worth of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Looked up Fehner.
Couldnt find a list of mfg they carry.
Pics look impressive. I like the mom and pop shops like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, looks like a nice shop with extensive inventory...

https://www.storemoreguns.com/blogs/gun-storage-solutions/fehner-son-gun-shop-pictures

• Like 1

Looked up Fehner.
Couldnt find a list of mfg they carry.
Pics look impressive. I like the mom and pop shops like that.

Cz, H&K, Springfield, Glock, sig, etc for pistols
Lots of options on shotguns and rifles (not my thing)

It’s a really nice place.

375 WBY Reloading update:

Shot my 86.5 gr loads today, and the velocity was a little better than I expected, about 2850 FPS. My standard deviation was about 11, so not great, but I can live with it. Here’s the data:

67b6564e55a8793ed4198d1a47126a91.jpg

Worked on dialing in the scope, and took some shots at 200 and 300 yards, but the ballistic turret application calculated values over-compensated for the drop and my shots were a little high, so will need to figure that out empirically. Conversely, maybe I just wasn’t shooting straight. To be honest, I don’t like shooting from a lead sled, next time I go out I’m putting a bipod on and getting prone and seeing if things get better.

Also of note: had a gusty 90 degree crosswind of 10+ mph and it didn’t affect the POI much at all at 300 yards.

I think the load will work, I just need to work on shooting skills more at this point.

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Cz, H&K, Springfield, Glock, sig, etc for pistols
Lots of options on shotguns and rifles (not my thing)

It’s a really nice place.

Looked like a number of wheel guns too.

Altamont grips.
They actually are Ruger's supplier

Orderd me some super rosewood snakeskins for my gp100. They emailed asking if a 4 week wait was ok. Im fine with it and impressed they gave me an option. .
Wish they made some similar for my king cobra. Looks like they only had wood options for the colt.

• Like 1

Do it!

I have one and love it.  Mine has a Sage EBR stock/chassis on it right now.

I've considered getting another one or swapping back to a standard stock, but either way it is a great gun.

Depending on your needs, also look at the Scout Squad version - it's an 18" barrel vs. the 16" on the SOCOM.  

Similar feel but a bit more performance at longer ranges.  Either way - Buy it!

PS - They are now offering their standard 22" M1A in 6.5 CM which is as natural a combo as peanut butter and jelly.  

Do it!
I've considered getting another one or swapping back to a standard stock, but either way it is a great gun.
Depending on your needs, also look at the Scout Squad version - it's an 18" barrel vs. the 16" on the SOCOM.  
PS - They are now offering their standard 22" M1A in 6.5 CM which is as natural a combo as peanut butter and jelly.  

Come on bro, you know the rules! Pics gawdamnit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Do it!

nice

MP9820C65_Feature.png

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Come on bro, you know the rules! Pics gawdamnit

M1A set up for CDI use:

eIsEIU8OrauB0_MRrUwlWUVP0bmkfG5j8Xvychg6

In seriousness, great gun, fits their "bring enough gun" marketing tagline perfectly. BUT, if you're looking for a "bench-able" rifle, I'd steer you away. for a couple reasons:

Building an accurate M1A is effing expensive, and the final results are never as accurate as a built AR platform, and certainly not as accurate as a built bolt gun platform.

The M1A platform is an ergonomic nightmare when you try to put an optic on, cheekweld is nonexistent, sight axis to barrel axis cannot be reduced by much, and good mounts are expensive and awkward. The one above is a Troy chassis, I have another in the Sage EBR chassis, and it's even worse ergonomically, but wins Call of Duty cred every time (and looks absolutely badass with a suppressor mounted on it).

That reminds me, mounting a suppressor is a bit of a hassle on these, esp the SOCOM due to the short gas system integrating barrel clamp and front sight. Not difficult, just a hassle of special components (and extra money).

As mentioned above, look at the Scout Squad. The gas system for the SOCOM is shortened, and based on empirical testing on various forums, seems to be inherently less accurate. The Scout is a full length gas system and seems to not have the issue, only trading off some velocity from the full size.