Halo: The Series (Live Action, Paramount, 2022)

atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Meanwhile, Marvel has cranked out 25 movies and half-a-dozen shows, and for the most part, the movies just take bits and pieces of the comics and throw them together in whatever way that Feige and Co. see fit to put together in this tapestry they are weaving, and the outcry is fairly muted compared to the above franchises.

Granted, because they are comic book characters, they've been killed off and brought back half-a-dozen times, with different looks, different names, different genders, different attitudes, etc. since the 1960s, and so hardcore fans are used to these characters being slightly different from something they read 25 years ago.

Younger generations don't really read comic books though. For us the Marvel universe is pretty much the movies. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'd bet a kidney that more males under 40 have played Halo than purchased a Marvel or DC comic book. And I'd guess it isn't close (I mean I pretty much know it isn't close).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I think it's sort of that. Like the jaded/cynical outlook and respective treatment of pop culture. But that isn't really anything all that new. 

I'm also trying to highlight this phenomenon of making everything about something else. Like "this show/album/movie needs to align with my politics and previously held opinions" instead of judging artistic expressions based on their individual merit. 

The Trekkies are THE WORST of what you said. The amount of people calling NuTrek “woke” as if ST’s history is not a post-nuclear war, post-scarcity utopia that also featured the first interracial kiss on TV in the 60s lol

People cannot enjoy anything 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

that also featured the first interracial kiss on TV in the 60s lol

And a gay cast member that pretty much everyone knew was gay for years... 

(And that was extremely active in the LGBTQ community forever)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Trekkies are THE WORST of what you said.

I think Lord of the Rings fans maybe the worst in that group, but the Game of Thrones fans (who are probably pissed I omitted them) would challenge them for the throne.

And maybe the LOTR/GOT fans have a little more of somewhat rational  claim to that, simply because their source material is very limited, whereas things like Halo, Star Trek, etc., were meant to be expanded and continuously added to.

With that said, maybe the Trekkies are the worst, simply because they've been shit upon the most, with the Chris Pine movies being a JJ Abrams "Star Wars as Star Trek" fever dream and then Discovery and Picard being the "LET'S FUCKING DRAG EVERYBODY DOWN AND BE ALL NIHILISTIC AND DOOM AND GLOOM AND LET'S DECONSTRUCT BELOVED CHARACTERS AND INVENT FAMILIAL RELATIONSHIPS THAT MAKE NO SENSE BECAUSE WE DON'T THINK THESE SERIES CAN STAND ON THEIR OWN".

I can only imagine what social media would have been like in the 1980s when Star Trek: TNG came out.

'OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY HAD A 130 YEAR-OLD DOCTOR MCCOY WALK AROUND THE ENTERPRISE BECAUSE THEY DON'T THINK TNG CAN STAND ON ITS OWN!!!"

and then the mid-1990s and Star Trek: Generations

"OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY DIDN'T THINK THE TNG CAST COULD CARRY A MOVIE SO THEY HAD TO BRING IN KIRK!"

I'm not a big ST guy but I'd like to like it. I like the Abrams movies (well... the first one was great at least. I think one of the others was pretty good) and have nothing against TNG or the original and have watched a decent amount of both. I did a few episodes of Picard and thought it was pretty good and want to get back into it. 

I will say - the Trekkies as far as being the "worst" are also kind of the best in that they all seem so passionate and knowledgeable and really care a lot. And it feels like with ST there's some stuff worth preserving, whereas with Halo it's like - hey, hot shots - it's a fucking video game. And not a narrative-based video game. Maybe relax and if you don't like something just ignore it. Which is sort of how I feel about all of the expanded universe stuff. I mean I really, really dig Star Wars. But I don't dig ALL of the bullshit that's out there. I just kind of pick and choose and ignore the stuff that I think is silly or shouldn't have been produced. I love LOTR. I don't love the Hobbit movies (although they're... okay). So I just haven't rewatched them much if at all. Seems like a pretty easy solution to me. 

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Younger generations don't really read comic books though. For us the Marvel universe is pretty much the movies. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'd bet a kidney that more males under 40 have played Halo than purchased a Marvel or DC comic book. And I'd guess it isn't close (I mean I pretty much know it isn't close).

Bingo. I've never seen a physical comic book in person. Literally. I don't know or care what story lines and characters that Marvel is potentially butchering.

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I will say - the Trekkies as far as being the "worst" are also kind of the best in that they all seem so passionate and knowledgeable and really care a lot. And it feels like with ST there's some stuff worth preserving, whereas with Halo it's like - hey, hot shots - it's a fucking video game.

And to be fair, Star Trek has a 50+ year history, while Halo has been around for 20.  Halo early on did the world building thing (I think they released a novel around the time of the game's release), but it's still much more limited in scope.

Halo benefits from not taking on the scope of ST, in that people literally grew up with Star Trek and watched the characters literally age over time, only to see them rebooted in the Chris Pine movies, and then saw them rebooted on the screen again.

And Halo is probably more grounded, because at its core it has always been a video game where you are (usually) the hero.  Star Trek evolved from a more classic, literary-based sci-fi from the 1960s up through 2005, and then turned into a show driven by movie people.

And there was honestly no way that Halo as a TV series could have been done without disappointing a lot of people, but I've enjoyed this series so far.

After preventing 10 years of fucking, the Halo tried to right its wrongs with 5 minutes of PG-13 fucking. 

Also did John almost certainly bang his sister? I believe their DNA match was 1 in a billion. That’s some cross eyed level, royal family, incest. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

After preventing 10 years of fucking, the Halo tried to right its wrongs with 5 minutes of PG-13 fucking. 

“We’re going to disintegrate all kinds of living things and be as gory as possible, but keep the sheets on when you fuck”

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Also did John almost certainly bang his sister? I believe their DNA match was 1 in a billion. That’s some cross eyed level, royal family, incest. 

Yeah I know it was pretty hot. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Holy shit. The latest episode is awesome. 

(So yeah - getting back to discussing the actual show)

Yeah I was a fan. I thought ep 6 was awesome too. 

Like I said - some of it is fucking stupid but I'll be damned if it isn't some well-done TV that's given itself some legs at this point. 

Spoiler

Halsey has turned into such a bitch and they've left it in this place where it looks like Maake is flipping back and Chief is going to have to save everyone's ass with maybe a full-circle moment later on where he saves her or some shit. I mean for me it seems like they're trending towards a fairly classic Halo-style narrative but of course the neck-beards can't be patient with it. I'm also standing by my assertions that overall this thing is well-acted and pretty well written and will likely peak in a later season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Best post-episode review headline was "Master Chief loses his virginity while his mom watches" 

• Haha 2

Wish we had at least another episode with that same amount of action.  I get they wanted to get all deep with characters n shit. Whatever.  But they still could have done that and show more action by eliminating Kwan. 

The toe to toe fighting was awesome. Just wanted some other weapons introduced.  Vanik should be rolling with rockets in that situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Wish we had at least another episode with that same amount of action.  I get they wanted to get all deep with characters n shit. Whatever.  But they still could have done that and show more action by eliminating Kwan. 
The toe to toe fighting was awesome. Just wanted some other weapons introduced.  Vanik should be rolling with rockets in that situation. 

Agreed.

I'll stay spoiler free, but based on how this last episode went down, and what they haven't shown us in the show, I'm guessing that S2 is going to come swinging out of the gate.

• Hook 'Em 2

Alright... obviously I'm a week late here. So apologies. (just don't read if you're worried about spoilers)

Where to start. I guess I'll start by saying the CGI on the alien planet was suspect at best and honestly distracting. Really killed a bit of my boner for this series. I think it's probably been an issue in earlier episodes but just wasn't magnified as much. 

That said... they're doing a lot of stuff really well. And I guess I'll keep watching. The Cortana/Chief interaction is cool. I liked the Spartan team up. They're obviously leaving the Halsey door open. There's some decent political give and take when it comes to the chain of command back home. I understand they're hardening the Chief persona but ironically I really like Schreiber and think he was carrying the show at points. Maake better not be dead but I doubt she is. Charlie Murphy is looking increasingly sexy in that role. 

I just take it back to that battle scene because I thought it looked corny as fuck, especially with all of the FPS HUD shots that serve as an ad for Halo games I guess. None of the wide shots looked any better than what a high-end rig could produce while playing a game and that's sort of problematic when it comes to immersion and world building. 

I mean... it's not their fault I guess. We're living in a post Avengers world. I just think there's a way to make that stuff look better. The 2nd and 3rd Star Wars prequels looked considerably better and those were over a decade ago. Maybe they need more money. Or maybe (I really fucking hope not) they're trying to make it look like a Halo game. 

Someone could have made a better Halo TV series. Even through just 9 episodes. But it's a bitch of a project to take on and I'll give everyone involved credit. Especially the cast. It could have been waaaay fucking worse. 

---

Oh, by the way - I think most TV is fucking garbage and if left to my own devices something has to be pretty great for me to sit through more than a season - so - you know - keep that in mind. Granted I'm a huge fan of the games so I have a bit more interest in this one. 

Edited by ztejas

• 4 weeks later...

my only issue with the show... and right now everything on Paramount plus, is the god damned volume has to be turned up to listen to any show (like level 19- when I am quite happy at level 12 on most shows, maybe13).

yet the fucking commercials have no fucking problem running at volume 19

every single commercial, I have to fucking mute the volume or I get blasted by the sound of whatever bullshit commercial is playing. its fucking ridiculous

• Rage+1 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finally finished show and thread.

agreed on the kwan shyt.. so who the fuck is she and why is madrigal important? - i was thinking after ep 1 she was gonna be recruited to be a badass spartan... but i guess not?

my only knowledge of halo is from 2004 okinawa - linking up xboxs in the barracks and playing halo- i was never a fan of the controllers. im a PS guy..

love me some john and master chief.

and when cortana took over MC body... holy cow, she was a badass... 

is that the MC we get in the games? i was hella confused. 

will look forward to season 2... but its a much better binge watch... 

not sure how yall folks went two whole weeks to get the action back

image.png

ranking of the episodes.. 

looks like we all agree- that kwan only episode was ass

image.png.2c1819508d0d2e21a4a2a5eef01582a9.png

Edited by kingkoopa6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2023 at 2:22 PM, Captainant said:

The action scenes are allsome.

About to get crazy since we will see the Fall of Reach.  I’m guessing they open with it this Thursday.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, Gizmodo has a decent little refresher with links to books etc.

https://gizmodo.com/halo-fall-of-reach-explained-tv-show-season-2-paramount-1851217499

• Drool 1

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

About to get crazy since we will see the Fall of Reach.  I’m guessing they open with it this Thursday.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, Gizmodo has a decent little refresher with links to books etc.

https://gizmodo.com/halo-fall-of-reach-explained-tv-show-season-2-paramount-1851217499

Halo: Reach is the last of the "good" Halo games IMO, the story is so damn good and the books are 100% pulp

Can they just make a series that follows the games/book as cannon and be done with it.  The story lines and plot are phenomenal.  How hard is this?  It's all laid out in front of you.  If you want a few liberties fine, but the GOT script to making a great series is right there for the taking.    

57 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Can they just make a series that follows the games/book as cannon and be done with it.  The story lines and plot are phenomenal.  How hard is this?  It's all laid out in front of you.  If you want a few liberties fine, but the GOT script to making a great series is right there for the taking.    

Have you watched the first season? The problem isn't with the story they're setting up.

41 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Rewatching S1 E9 now 

Yeah I may rewatch a couple.

Does anyone know if they're doing a season dump for S2 or releasing one or two every week?

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Have you watched the first season? The problem isn't with the story they're setting up.

Yeah I may rewatch a couple.

Does anyone know if they're doing a season dump for S2 or releasing one or two every week?

P+ never dumps them all