RIP Dave Campbell

mdleast

Started reading his magazine in the late 80's.  I have every issue going back to 96.

The passion he had for the game shown through in his work.  That kept me coming back.  He is a true treasure to the State of Texas.

RIP.

An unequivocal legend. In its heyday, the “magazine” (more appropriately “catalogue”) was literally readable for 7 months every year. March to July were the dry months.

From pre-season, to in-season and then recruiting season. Almost something to read most every day.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football was the Alpha, the Omega and the true precursor of the Internet of pre-season publications.

• Hook 'Em 5

i used to collect the annual DCTF like Playboys…nice little pristine stack of them in the back of the closet.  

GREAT guy…saw him out and about one evening, introduced myself to say thanks for making me a happy kid, and for 1.5 hours was regaled with inside stories from over the years.  when i told him where i played and who my head coach was, he proceeded to tell me stories that even i had never heard. the man was a living history of TXHSFB.  

RIP…

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

One of the highlights of my not so esteemed high school football career was seeing my name in print in his magazine.

Always look forward to getting my DCTF each year.

Same

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

Always looked forward to that time of year when his magazine hit the shelves.  I was just looking through some old boxes and came across 20+ years worth and they are definitely collectors items.  

I ruined the collector value of all of mine but it was worth it. I'd follow recruiting like a hawk in the local paper, and then I'd write in their school on that big double page with all the recruits listed by rank and position. And then also on the page with the Super Team. I started this hobby in 1984, continued through '88, and then after living elsewhere for nine years, picked back up in '97 and kept that run alive until 2011. It was depressing as fuck writing "AM" and "Colo" and "MIA" and "ND" and on and on next to so many of the names of the five-stars, and such a genuine honest-to-god thrill when the Good Mack came in and enabled me to put UT there instead. 

I continue buying one for my dad every year for Father's Day. As he lives in Nashville and Internets suboptimally, it is still a solid resource for him

I wish more places ran that feature they'd do grading recruiting classes four or five years down the line. It was a cool little stroll down memory lane remembering all the busts (you remembered the stars w/o having to be reminded) and also teaches a valuable lesson. Winning NSD or coming close to it was no guarantee of future success,  and Gary Patterson proved star rankings meant a shit-ton less than most people think . 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 4

DCTF wa responsible for my life-long identification as Texan (as opposed ton American). We weren in Passau living on the German-Cjech side, and my Grandma in Dallas mailed me a copy of the DCTF. The postman asked me about the cover, and when he asked if we were from Texas and was told yes, he opined that Texas was the best country in the world. I accepted his characterization and ever since, when asked if I were from X (America, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, etc.) I have responded, "No, I'm from Texas", and proceeded to explain that we pretend to be part of the US, and almost never tell yankees and other lower forms the truth, so they tend to believe, or at least pretend to believe we are Americans. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3