Big Hits of the Past: Targeting or Not? Your Be the Ref!

MaybeACoordinator

Basically an offseason excuse to show a bunch of your favorite hits from years gone by.

I think this would be called targeting even though it isn't just because the hit was so incredibly violent...Sometimes I think force of the blow gets the penalty whether or not the letter of the rule was violated.

Clearly leads with the crown, but it is not head to head, and the concussion seems to come from the back of poor Joe Ferguson's head bouncing off the Silverdome Astroturf.

Targeting, 

or not?

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

This was the hardest hit I ever saw and one of the worst calls ever. OU/Nebraska. The Nebraska guy get a 40 yard sprint and destroys Kelly Phelps. You can see his back bow out it shape of a helmet.  The worst call is they said it wasn't a fumble - forward progress had stopped. The forward progress part was correct.

Got to the 1:25 mark to start

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

This was the hardest hit I ever saw and one of the worst calls ever. OU/Nebraska. The Nebraska guy get a 40 yard sprint and destroys Kelly Phelps. You can see his back bow out it shape of a helmet.  The worst call is they said it wasn't a fumble - forward progress had stopped. The forward progress part was correct.

Got to the 1:25 mark to start

Damn. Hardest hit I’ve ever seen was similar to this. The Colts were playing someone and a dude just absolutely killed the returner. It was so violent.

Props to anyone that knows what I’m talking about and can find it.

3 minutes ago, tfoolry said:

Middle school on kickoff team I kept knocking the shit out of the guy who was blocking me so on the last kickoff the game he kind of backpedaled ten yards and then came charging at me. My friend's dad told me I knocked the chinstrap buttons out of his helmet....some hillbilly team in Tennessee so it was probably just a cheapass Rawlings helmet. 

A few years later I would try to repeat that feat against a linebacker for CE King....did not go so well for me, but at least I held on to the ball, lol. 

The first game I played after i moved back to Texas was against Channelview, whose freshman QB was like a slow Tim Tebow. He ran an option keeper and I came flying over from LB and took him on head to head....He had about 40 pounds on me but he went down and stayed down. And so did I. I was stuck in deja vu, laying there in the grass smelling the refinery stench, thinking I remembered that same exact moment...or was it in my future? That would happen to me again and again when I'd crack my heaad badly, once in bicyle accident but mostly in football. Somebody told me once deja vu is caused by a hitch between what you take in with your senses and your brain's ability to process it, and that makes sense. (But I used to also get it without a violent crack to my dome.)

We played in a game like the one above -- little White kids against bigger Black kids in junior high -- and that happened to our star RB. That was the first severe concussion I was ever around. Our RB was just addled out of his mind on the sidelines for most of the second half. Looking back, I am surprised they didn't put him back in the game; today, he would have been hospitalized.   

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of Tony Brackens, have a friend who swears that he saw him at some little rodeo or something several years ago, that Brackens was doing team roping.  I don't think the friend would lie, but it was just an odd-as-hell thing to hear.

Didn't he grow up on a farm in East Texas?

• Hook 'Em 1