2022 EDGE Ethan Burke

Hiphopopotamos

Ethan Burke is a Super Stud 4-star Top 50 Lacrosse recruit in the country.  He originally committed to Maryland to play lacrosse, de-committed and committed to play football at Michigan  His dad is the Westlake Lacrosse coach.  I am surprised he did not go to a D1 lacrosse/football school to play both ala Dante Trader at Maryland.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, UT Lax said:

Ethan Burke is a Super Stud 4-star Top 50 Lacrosse recruit in the country.  He originally committed to Maryland to play lacrosse, de-committed and committed to play football at Michigan  His dad is the Westlake Lacrosse coach.  I am surprised he did not go to a D1 lacrosse/football school to play both ala Dante Trader at Maryland.

He also played Middy and Attack.  Think about that how good of an athlete he has to be if he is a Top 50 player in the country playing Attack and Middy?  Attack is a position that requires a lot of quickness (typical attack is 5'9) and Middy requires a lot of speed/down hill running ability and he is listed at 6'7 225 (he is  really 6'5+).  He can put on a ton of muscle weight on his frame.  

He also played Middy and Attack.  Think about that how good of an athlete he has to be if he is a Top 50 player in the country playing Attack and Middy?  Attack is a position that requires a lot of quickness (typical attack is 5'9) and Middy requires a lot of speed/down hill running ability and he is listed at 6'7 225 (he is  really 6'5+).  He can put on a ton of muscle weight on his frame.  

Okay, whose sock is over here quoting its own posts four hours apart?

14 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

In these highlights, the second play is very instructive. That's Ollie Gordon, Euliss Trinity's star RB at QB. (dude is amazing-wish we had him). They played him at QB on certain plays just to optimize his abilities. He saw a skinny defensive lineman and thought he could get around him, but Ethan was quick enough to chase him down and make the tackle and actually hurt Ollie on the play. Burke is athletic. If he can add bulk and retain his athleticism, he might grow into a contributing player. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

In these highlights, the second play is very instructive. That's Ollie Gordon, Euliss Trinity's star RB at QB. (dude is amazing-wish we had him). They played him at QB on certain plays just to optimize his abilities. He saw a skinny defensive lineman and thought he could get around him, but Ethan was quick enough to chase him down and make the tackle and actually hurt Ollie on the play. Burke is athletic. If he can add bulk and retain his athleticism, he might grow into a contributing player. 

You need to start accepting the fact that no one thinks Westlake sucks or that they’re unathletic when they play them. Gordon had nowhere to go on that play and his only mistake was not giving up on passing it sooner. If he committed to running he probably would’ve gotten around the edge.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That’s the only time I saw this kid. His arm span is ridiculous. He’s built like a gorilla.

Burke was a force in that game. I was unimpressed with Vasek. 

Additionally, Burke looks good in Vasek's highlight film, but Vasek doesn't look as good in Burke's.

Then you consider Burke is still raw wrt what he's gonna become physically. Very excited about this guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

Burke was a force in that game. I was unimpressed with Vasek. 

Additionally, Burke looks good in Vasek's highlight film, but Vasek doesn't look as good in Burke's.

Then you consider Burke is still raw wrt what he's gonna become physically. Very excited about this guy.

Vasek had three sacks. What didn't you like about his film that game?

12 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Vasek had three sacks. What didn't you like about his film that game?

Watched all of the first and fourth quarters. Burke was constantly getting into the backfield or impacting the qb with his first step and length. He even had a play where he bulldozed the OL into the RB for a TFL. By the fourth quarter, they were giving him extra attention and he was still making an impact.

Vasek was relatively quiet, got washed out some, penetrated a few, can't recall any passes he knocked down. He also looked slower off the line. I can see why he's getting offers, and his D1 pedigree makes him more appealing, but I don't see Texas quality just yet.

Edited by Atticus

48 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Watched all of the first and fourth quarters. Burke was constantly getting into the backfield or impacting the qb with his first step and length. He even had a play where he bulldozed the OL into the RB for a TFL. By the fourth quarter, they were giving him extra attention and he was still making an impact.

Vasek was relatively quiet, got washed out some, penetrated a few, can't recall any passes he knocked down. He also looked slower off the line. I can see why he's getting offers, and his D1 pedigree makes him more appealing, but I don't see Texas quality just yet.

He was targeted in the first half. Burke consistently got upfield and left gaps for the offense. During the game I said he had some Ovie in him, based on the undisciplined rush upfield. Many times taking himself out of the play. There is literally no worse position for a DE to be than 2-3 yards behind the QB. I wonder if that is a side effect of playing for a team that was usually up 30 at half. As for Vasek he was the defensive MVP with 3 sacks and I believe a couple TFLs. I have no idea how you watched and thought the MVP was quiet

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

He was targeted in the first half. Burke consistently got upfield and left gaps for the offense. During the game I said he had some Ovie in him, based on the undisciplined rush upfield. Many times taking himself out of the play. There is literally no worse position for a DE to be than 2-3 yards behind the QB. I wonder if that is a side effect of playing for a team that was usually up 30 at half. As for Vasek he was the defensive MVP with 3 sacks and I believe a couple TFLs. I have no idea how you watched and thought the MVP was quiet

I agree with the undisciplined rush lane opening up opportunities for the offense, but they were both guilty of that at times. Burke more often in that regard. Vasek's impact plays must have been in the second and third quarters. I'll find time to go check it out later. 

The way someone produces is just as important as how productive they are, especially at the HS level. How is he getting those sacks?

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I agree with the undisciplined rush lane opening up opportunities for the offense, but they were both guilty of that at times. Burke more often in that regard. Vasek's impact plays must have been in the second and third quarters. I'll find time to go check it out later. 

The way someone produces is just as important as how productive they are, especially at the HS level. How is he getting those sacks?

Both dominated the tackles for Denton. To be honest the entire DL dominated. The DT, Wayans, had multiple sacks. Denton adjusted in the 2Q and put up some points, but once Westlake took the lead it was over. Denton OL was no match for the Westlake DL. 

From the parts of the game I watched, I actually thought Vasek looked a little better than Burke but they looked pretty similar for the most part. They both looked really good in that game.

Really glad to have him. Looks like he has a huge ceiling and he certainly dominated at the highest level of high school football in Texas. That’s usually a pretty good indicator of future success.

Edited by sunset87

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Both dominated the tackles for Denton. To be honest the entire DL dominated. The DT, Wayans, had multiple sacks. Denton adjusted in the 2Q and put up some points, but once Westlake took the lead it was over. Denton OL was no match for the Westlake DL. 

I agree with that. Arnold looked good for being under duress most of the game. Vasek made an impact in the 3rd quarter.

It will be interesting to see how they both develop over time. If Burke learns some actual pass rush moves, his natural traits and disposition are gonna make him very hard to deal with.