Scifi/Fantasy Book Recs

Hellraiser97

On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, TKthunder2 said:

I just finished the Bone Hunters and while you can follow it better the more you read, they keep throwing you into new characters and situations with little to no backstory.  Still it’s enjoyable, as long as you can work you’re way through it.  I bet it makes it a good series to re read.

I'm working on my first re-read of the first book.  It does help having background and recognizing references to things I didn't know anything about at the time.  I'll probably look at some kind of guide/notes at the end of each book as I'm sure there are things I'm still not connecting.   There are 10 main novels plus several side and prequel novels which have been released over the years too. If you count those, there are 21 books to read.  I thought a WoT back to back read was monumental, this would be epic.  Not sure if I can do it or even want to.

14 hours ago, Keflex said:

I'm working on my first re-read of the first book.  It does help having background and recognizing references to things I didn't know anything about at the time.  I'll probably look at some kind of guide/notes at the end of each book as I'm sure there are things I'm still not connecting.   There are 10 main novels plus several side and prequel novels which have been released over the years too. If you count those, there are 21 books to read.  I thought a WoT back to back read was monumental, this would be epic.  Not sure if I can do it or even want to.

Nice.  I’m reading them all for the first time in order of release date.  Yeah I expect it to take a while and have already had a pair of breaks (to read the new Magic 2.0 and Spells/Swords/Stealth books) 8 books in.  It’s good, but dense, and I think the author(s) realized it, which is why the focus/characters of each book shifts significantly a few times.

I just finished the Bone Hunters and while you can follow it better the more you read, they keep throwing you into new characters and situations with little to no backstory.  Still it’s enjoyable, as long as you can work you’re way through it.  I bet it makes it a good series to re read.

It may be a good read, but it makes for a terrible audiobook. It’s impossible to follow unless you just sit down and do nothing but listen, in which case you might as well just read it.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Grippe started the 1st Belgariad book yesterday and almost done.  Enjoying it and probably going to get the next book.  

Does the Mallorean books pick up where the last Belgariad ends, or is it a whole set of new characters set in the same world?

Picks up immediately after Enchanters End Game and goes on. Then there are two following tomes on Belgarath and Polgara respectively. Castle of Wizardry was prolly my favorite book out of all of them.

Edited by Grippe

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Thujone said:

Here's my book--it's officially up for preorder. Comes out 9/8/20. If any of you are inclined to read it, please consider the preorder as that has significant influence on whether or not distributors order the book. 

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Phlebotomist-Chris-Panatier/dp/0857668617/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1576195521&sr=8-10

Tor.com blog post: https://www.tor.com/2019/12/12/revealing-the-phlebotomist-and-the-rushs-edge-two-new-sf-novels-from-angry-robot-books/#more-528851

Here's the cover. Really excited because 1. Hot pink is actually relevant to the story and 2. The name plate will be in gold foil. 

The-Phlebotomist-Cover.jpg

Not that you control this - but I wish if you ordered a physical copy you could get a Kindle Copy for a deal. This is a book I'd probably want to have on the shelf, but the reality is I read most of my books on my Kindle these days. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:23 PM, Thujone said:

Honest answer is I don't know. That's really thoughtful of you to consider even asking. I appreciate that you're ordering it in the first place. So get what is better for you.

Edit- as a matter of interest, and I could talk forever on this, there are different percentages associated with the different formats as far as my royalty goes. That said, I don't know whether or not buying the physical copy "boosts" the amazon algorithm more than kindle or vice versa. So, you know. Still no answer but there are many ins-and-outs-and-what-have-yous.

I preordered the Kindle Version - are you planning to do hardback at all? I'm pretentious like that. 

On 12/12/2019 at 7:32 PM, Thujone said:

Here's my book--it's officially up for preorder. Comes out 9/8/20. If any of you are inclined to read it, please consider the preorder as that has significant influence on whether or not distributors order the book. 

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Phlebotomist-Chris-Panatier/dp/0857668617/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1576195521&sr=8-10

Tor.com blog post: https://www.tor.com/2019/12/12/revealing-the-phlebotomist-and-the-rushs-edge-two-new-sf-novels-from-angry-robot-books/#more-528851

Here's the cover. Really excited because 1. Hot pink is actually relevant to the story and 2. The name plate will be in gold foil. 

Like all of us aren't going to have long since drank ourselves to death by the time 9/8/20 rolls around.  Preordered anyway. 

Recently finished "Off to be the Wizard" -https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Kindle-Motion-Magic-Book-ebook/dp/B00EF8Z32I. It's a fun little series about a 23 year old computer guy who discovers that the world really is a simulation. The kindle version has a few motion illustrations that make it pretty neat. It's nothing too deep or dramatic but a pretty fun quick read.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, Viper said:

Recently finished "Off to be the Wizard" -https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Kindle-Motion-Magic-Book-ebook/dp/B00EF8Z32I. It's a fun little series about a 23 year old computer guy who discovers that the world really is a simulation. The kindle version has a few motion illustrations that make it pretty neat. It's nothing too deep or dramatic but a pretty fun quick read.

There are 6(?) books that are all nice quick reads that build on the original and dive a little deeper.  I’ve recommend them a few times along with the Swords, Spells, and Stealth series (what if a D&D game was real Jumanji style) and Peters Clines “14” series that are good, and relatively quick reads that I go to when I need a break while reading larger series like WOT, or Malazan Books of the Fallen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 5:32 PM, Thujone said:

Just pre-ordered kindle version. Best of luck my man. 

Just finished Spells, Swords and Stealth. Damnit! I thought it was a finished series since that’s the way it looked in Audible (described as a 4 book series). Upon further research, I guess it’s because Hayes doesn’t really say how long a series will go.

As to my thoughts, obviously enjoyed it or I wouldn’t be upset that I can’t finish it. It’s an interesting concept and it took me a bit to really grasp it, but it gets really fun if you can deal with some of the nerdiness. Never played any of those types of games, but if you can put yourself into the mindset of people who do, then I totally get why they’re so popular.

Although there doesn’t seem to be any word on when the next one will be released, Book 4 does at least leave off at a good transition point. Not where I would be OK with it being the final end, but it could’ve probably been the end of a quadrilogy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been steadily consuming the CJ Cherryh "Foreigner" series recommended earlier. Not hard science at all (quite the opposite, it really makes no attempt to explain why things are or how they work; the sci-fi is really just a setting for the plot), but is great for the social interactions between different alien civilizations. She's done a great job of really creating these very fleshed-out races of aliens, with detailed distinctly different societies and cultures, and showing how they work (or don't work) together. I find the series especially interesting as one of my side interests is anthropology, and my own life and work is a constant awareness exercise bridging many cultures and societies. I connect with Bren, the protagonist, a lot.

I'm up to book 7 so far. In the books I've finished so far, there have been a few segments that dragged, but most of the time I haven't been able to put the book down. There's a ton of action in there, whether it be relationship problems, government problems, violence (revolts and assassinations), or even social comedy. This would make a great "grand-epic" TV series like GOT. Must make mention of the character Ilisidi, she's wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, very enjoyable so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Just finished the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  It's a finished series and was really well done imo.  sword and magic (heavy on the magic).

normally I have stuck with Kindle Unlimited 'free' books but no problem buying these. 

His Night Angel trilogy is good too

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Just finished the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  It's a finished series and was really well done imo.  sword and magic (heavy on the magic).

normally I have stuck with Kindle Unlimited 'free' books but no problem buying these. 

Good to know. I liked Night Angel but was waiting for the full set to be finished before I picked up Lightbringer.

Kingkiller and GOT have stopped me from picking up most unfinished works not written by Sanderson (who by the way it about to start partnering with other writers to increase the number of books in the Cosmere, awesome news, also just picked up Sanderson’s White Sands vol 3 which I’ll read when I need a break from the Malazhan books).

Update for those who care: I’m currently on book 11 of the 21 Malazhan books about to finish the original set of 10 soon.  Just found out and am a little irritated that they didn’t finish out one of the trilogies and have it listed as on hold while they started a new set of books but at this point it’s a sunk cost for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, latest releases read this last month that didn't suck:

Tim Pratt - Axiom Trilogy

Django Wexler - Wells of Sorcery books 1 and 2

Chuck Wendig - Miriam Black series

Tamsyn Muir - Gideon the Ninth

Leigh Bardugo - Ninth House

Re-reads:

Kevin Hearne - Iron Druid Series

Books I wouldn't pollute a roaring fireplace with:

Jeff VanderMeer - Dead Astronauts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, Sam Lin said:

I've been steadily consuming the CJ Cherryh "Foreigner" series recommended earlier. 

I'm up to book 7 so far. 

Now I'm on book 20: Resurgence, and didn't realize the series was still being written, book 21 is on preorder. Furk. I don't like to read series still being written as I don't like to wait for the next book; didn't think to check on this series because I saw 20 books and figured how in hell could a series still be going at 20 books?

A few of the books did drag at times. Either she's a more engaging writer about certain topics, or she's too good a writer on other topics and they're so menially boring in real life that her portrayal is also boring. Somewhere around book 16 it seemed half the book was a just a summary recap of events of the previous books, that was the slowest point in the series.

The series does get a little repetitive once you read so many, she has a few general subplots that get rotated around, the names and settings change, but the plot and outcome is fairly predictable. Google calls it a Space Opera, and it does seem well written to translate to TV as an episodic production. You can see the subplots coming pretty early; this section will be someone's personal life/relationships/angst, next section will be politics, you'll intermix a transit/action scene where there's some high tech or low tech travel or maybe a battle, then some character development (dinner, characters meeting and talking), rinse, repeat.

That said, it has kept me quite entertained and I've gotten further into it than many other series/authors, and that says a lot about enjoyable this series is.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, Viper said:

yeah i was going to suggest John Scalzi. Redshirts, and possibly The Collapsing Empire are probably his most humor oriented.

I went to HS with him and am FB friends with him.  He was a nerd in Hs though.  Imagine that.

4 hours ago, Thujone said:

Just read Ken Liu's translation of Cixin Liu's THREE BODY PROBLEM. Tremendous. Hard fucking sci-fi. 

Loved this. Incredibly human story amidst all the sci-fi. And a few friends who are physics PHDs commented on how the physics in the sci-fi were mostly accurate.

In spirit of what others have done here is a dump from my Kindle orders with brief blurb

Scholar of Magic - (Art of the Adept Series Book 3) - Michael G Manning

Decent series (typical Hogwarts-esque school of wizardry), young man coming of age and into his powers etc etc. The series is a good "read on plane, read at beach - no thought necessary" one. It is enjoyable but nothing you will be blown away with.

The Girl and the Stars (The Book of Ice 1) - Mark Lawrence - Cool blend of technology and fantasy elements, civilization basically stranded and dying on a planet where the sun is decaying. Some people have latent powers that are used by a cabal of priests to delve into the depths of the ice to find iron and other tech. Really good cliffhanger. This is a good read

Case files of Henri Davenforth series - Honor Raconteur

Harmless series that is light hearted detective read with mish mash of modern detective thinking by a fish out of water FBI agent who has found herself in a steampunk/magic alternate universe where some things are ahead of what she is used to and some behind. Goes a little deep on the "misogny busting" side of things but again is a enjoyable read that won't cause you questioning the meaning of life or anything but will pass the time. Four books in series this far.

A Time of Courage (Blood & Bone Book 3) - John Gwynne

Final book in Blood & Bone trilogy. Excellent read, pretty dark at times with at its core a fight of light and dark "angels" that broke into another plane from their own, the light won, subjegated the rest of the plane's inhabitants and for hundreds of years the dark has been plotting their revenge in the shadows. For those of you looking for a "finished" series to start (I hear you on Rothfuss - classic hit it big, got distracted and hit the trade show circuit guy) this is a good one. Did I mention that all three books are already published

Dragonslayer series - Duncan Hamilton

Read all three of these like a month ago and literally cannot remember what they were about. I assume dragonslaying. Not saying they were bad and bonus there are three books published already but it just wasn't memorable. So many fantasy series have exact same arc (farm boy/girl grow up not knowing they are really scion of famous (warrior, wizard, emperor etc), they come into powers as the person raising them dies while finally revealing their lineage, they then hook up with plucky companion, and thrust into battle way over their hear succesfully overcome powers of evil once they finally embrace the mantle of their powers) so I am sure this series is similar to that

The Fifth Ward Series - Dale Lucas

Another police meets fantasy series that pairs up a disgraced human nobleman with a disgraced dwarf as partners in the night watch. I enjoyed this series a lot. Good action scenes, character development etc. Definitely worth a read

More to come

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Dragonslayer series - Duncan Hamilton

Read all three of these like a month ago and literally cannot remember what they were about. I assume dragonslaying. Not saying they were bad and bonus there are three books published already but it just wasn't memorable.

This reminds me, I read Jonathan Moeller's 'Frostborn' series because one of the series was a free book offer and I have a friend with the same name (yes, that was the reason), and it basically fits this description, it's a totally unmemorable cookie cutter series, every book effectively has the same plot, and the main character regularly has sections of internal angst that could literally be copy/pasted from book to book. Not recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Jim Butcher's "Death Masks", a Dresden Files series book, because it was free e-book. Its some wizard/demon/supernatural beings with supernatural powers detective series set in modern times. It reads like a B-movie, plot makes little sense, writing is sloppy, characters don't act remotely logically, is utterly unrealistic in every way, but is entertaining if you keep suspending disbelief. Has a 4.8/5 Google Books review score, I'd give it a solid 2.5. Read it if you have nothing else to read and it's free (that's why I read it).

If you want a better detective story series without the occult powers, the B+ movie series I'd recommend is Andrew Vachss, while if you want the A- movie series I'd recommend Le Carre.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:38 PM, Sam Lin said:

Just finished Jim Butcher's "Death Masks", a Dresden Files series book, because it was free e-book. Its some wizard/demon/supernatural beings with supernatural powers detective series set in modern times. It reads like a B-movie, plot makes little sense, writing is sloppy, characters don't act remotely logically, is utterly unrealistic in every way, but is entertaining if you keep suspending disbelief. Has a 4.8/5 Google Books review score, I'd give it a solid 2.5. Read it if you have nothing else to read and it's free (that's why I read it).

If you want a better detective story series without the occult powers, the B+ movie series I'd recommend is Andrew Vachss, while if you want the A- movie series I'd recommend Le Carre.

Great series, I've listened to all of them on Audible. Got book 16 and 17? on preorder already.  Definitely would help to start from the beginning, I think Death Masks is the fifth in the series.