Scifi/Fantasy Book Recs

Hellraiser97

Just finished Dune.  Was inspired to finally pick it up by the forthcoming movie ... I was not disappointed.  I've resisted picking up the Foundation because I was worried it would feel dated.  After enjoying Dune though, I think I'm gonna dive in.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:30 PM, BTW said:

Just finished Dune.  Was inspired to finally pick it up by the forthcoming movie ... I was not disappointed.  I've resisted picking up the Foundation because I was worried it would feel dated.  After enjoying Dune though, I think I'm gonna dive in.

I'm reading Ringworld, and for a novel written in the '60s (came out in 1970), it's held up very well, and does not feel dated.

The thing I love about Dune, Ringworld, Foundation, and other classic sci-fi of the 60s/70s, etc., and I'm not going to reference Foundation because I don't want to spoil it,  is that, for the most part, they didn't try and get into the weeds as far as the technology, and so things don't feel as dated.  A lot of the technology was described in vague-enough terms, that you don't fixate on it.

They knew Big Things were on the horizon, but they didn't know what it would look like, and so they kind of were just like "this space ship will get you from point A to point B using whatever drive, but we are just going to act like you know what it is, because the characters in the story know what it is and accept it, and explaining it to you would mean explaining it to the characters in the story and I'm not going to do that, so let's move on."  And some of them had computers that interacted via voice, because that worked both with the aesthetic the future (and established in 2001) with the benefit of not having to explain a lot.

I have a large bookshelf of sci-fi I bought in the 80s and 90s (and some 70s), and a lot of it is very dated, because they were trying to guess what technology would look like within 20 years, based on the technology they were currently using at the time, or that was really futuristic and based on the movies and TV shows (Star Trek:TNG, Star Wars, etc.).   Some authors during that time, such as Kim Stanley Robinson and his Mars trilogy, Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash, even William Gibson, etc. have held up pretty well because they followed the classic route for the most part, and they picked technology/interfaces that were natural and more "what should be" and not "what could be", or that seemed like they would still be useful in the future (command lines, etc.).

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen.  I enjoyed the series, and it’s very ambitious and vast, but I’ll have a hard time recommending this to anyone because it’s just so dense and the payoff isn’t all that great (unlike the WOT).  Add in that you have to also read the companion series to know what happens the important side characters and it’s just not the best experience.  I’ll keep reading the companion series to completion but I think I’m done after that (they’ve added 3 more series to the universe).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 9:05 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Just finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen.  I enjoyed the series, and it’s very ambitious and vast, but I’ll have a hard time recommending this to anyone because it’s just so dense and the payoff isn’t all that great (unlike the WOT).  Add in that you have to also read the companion series to know what happens the important side characters and it’s just not the best experience.  I’ll keep reading the companion series to completion but I think I’m done after that (they’ve added 3 more series to the universe).

I enjoyed it, but it ran out of gas near the end.  I really loved Tehol and Karsa characters.

Edited by Yuk

15 minutes ago, Yuk said:

I enjoyed it, but it ran out of gas near the end.  I really loved Tehol and Karsa characters.

Same, but yeah I felt like it’s how I would have described the WOT it just ended before Sanderson wrote those final three books.  That made it all worth it, and the Book of the Fallen set just kinda ended and wasn’t nearly as satisfying as the build up was.  If you’re still keeping up they are coming out with a Karsa trilogy, first box in 2021 https://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Willing-Witness-Book-ebook/dp/B07GVBKC1N/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=god+is+not+willing&qid=1605578652&sprefix=god+is+not+w&sr=8-3

• Hook 'Em 1

Ware Tetrology, all Neil Asher, Dune, and Starship troopers all must reads to me.

Forever war was pretty crazy too just read it.

Also recently read quarantine by Greg Egan which has nothing to do with a virus, it's the entire solar system that gets quarantined. Pretty good

I'm going to dig through these posts and find some good ones, thanks guys!

• Hook 'Em 2

Stormlight Book 4 drops tomorrow.  I will certainly be reading this.  I hate starting unfinished series, but I make an exception for Sanderson.
Just started it last night and i realize i don't remember anything about the previous books. Might put this one down and do a re read first.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 11/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, Yuk said:
Stormlight Book 4 drops tomorrow.  I will certainly be reading this.  I hate starting unfinished series, but I make an exception for Sanderson.

Just started it last night and i realize i don't remember anything about the previous books. Might put this one down and do a re read first.

Yeah the Stormlight books are pretty in depth I’d do a reread if you have the time. I read 3 immediately last time and then reread 1-3 again and got so much out of it the second time through.  But I already have my copy of rhythm of war in my library just waiting for some good down time coming up to get started since historically I have a hard time putting these down.

Yeah the Stormlight books are pretty in depth I’d do a reread if you have the time. I read 3 immediately last time and then reread 1-3 again and got so much out of it the second time through.  But I already have my copy of rhythm of war in my library just waiting for some good down time coming up to get started since historically I have a hard time putting these down.
Agreed. That's why i need to stop now, before i get too far into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently reading Peter Cline’s Terminus (part of his Threshold series that started with “14”) and am really enjoying it.

I still have Bone and Bone and Assail left to read in the 2nd Malazan series but I needed another break since I just read book 8-14.  I’ll pick up the next two trilogies at some point but will jump back into my re-read of the Stormlight Archives and Rhythm of War next.

PS I bought @THUJONE’s Phlebotomist book which I’ll also squeeze in at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, THUJONE said:

I finished the first book of the Bobiverse Trilogy by Dennis Taylor. Very quick, smart, pretty funny. Will eventually get to the other two. 

Very much enjoyed it - looking forward to a new book from him in this series.  Cannot recommend 'The Singularity Trap' from him though, not nearly as entertaining.

After the fat piece of shit bailed on GOT I swore I wouldn't ever start a book series that wasn't complete.  I read the first book because it wasn't labeled as part of a series.  Once I found out it was a series I kept going.  It's not complete, but the author seems reliable (unlike some other fat douchebag).  I have really liked it.  It's military sci-fi about an interstellar war.

image.thumb.png.7c956a54117d8eff103d342bb70f1290.png

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

After the fat piece of shit bailed on GOT I swore I wouldn't ever start a book series that wasn't complete.  I read the first book because it wasn't labeled as part of a series.  Once I found out it was a series I kept going.  It's not complete, but the author seems reliable (unlike some other fat douchebag).  I have really liked it.  It's military sci-fi about an interstellar war.

image.thumb.png.7c956a54117d8eff103d342bb70f1290.png

NMAS, I swore I was going to back off of making as many recommendations as I used to in this forum but just last night I was thinking "I really need to recommend the Frontlines series to Thujone" after his post on the Bobiverse - great call here Sir.

Also, if you like Marko Kloos I DEFINITELY recommend the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson - fun, fun, FUN reading.

(and look into the different series by Rob J. Hayes, second plug in this thread for his works)

• Hook 'Em 1

It's more in the vein of Heinlein and mebbe Scalzi - even Jones (Thin Red Line).  It explores the impacts war has on mental states, ethics and relationships.  It does it in a sci-fi environment and does it extremely well (like Corey).

The recco I put in for Alanson isn't as deep, it's purely fun - Galaxy Quest type fun.

Hayes is fantasy, great reading fantasy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
Finished Rhythm of War just now. It sprawls a bit much. At this point, he might as well release books in 200-page novella form. Keeps things tighter. 
I just finished Oathbringer for the second time. Bought Rhythm of War, started reading it, and realized i didn't remember anything going on. So now on to ROW for real this time.

• 4 weeks later...

@Modessit Thanks for reading mate. Plans yes. For sequel and a prequel, actually--a distant past origin story for the Ichorwulves (1800s Gold Rush California). But as I've learned now, publishers want standalone for new authors, not series. Usually because there's a 50% drop-off from book 1 to 2. So it's mostly authors with wide and established readership that will get a series deal. The Phlebotomist has been one of AR's best selling books since it came out, yet they are not super into a sequel. 

I may yet publish sequel/prequel for The Phlebotomist, but not in the near future. I sold my next book to Angry Robot on Spec, but it's a humorous space sci-fi. If that and subsequent projects go well, I'll dip back into Willa's world. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:41 PM, Keflex said:

I love Feist's  Midkemia books and enjoyed all of them.  Definitely the Riftwar and Serpentwar series are the best.  Have you read The Empire Triology?  I'd rate that just as good and it's from the perspective of the other side which is great.

Just finished the entir series (30 books, I think, maybe 28). Greatest fantasy series that I have ever read and that includes Lord of the Rings. But you must really read them in the suggested reading order on the Feist website. 

Just finished the entir series (30 books, I think, maybe 28). Greatest fantasy series that I have ever read and that includes Lord of the Rings. But you must really read them in the suggested reading order on the Feist website. 
I thought it went downhill after Serpentwar. About the time he got divorced. Tried to read some of his later stuff but thought he got too caught up in the Conclave of Shadows stuff where everything was about immortal wizards and the latest all-powerful enemy. I enjoyed the characters like Jimmy, Erik, and Rupert much more. Pug and Nakor were great in the earlier books though.

And the Empire series with Janny Wurts is awesome, too.

Anyone read Warhamemr 40k?  I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books which I loved.  I'm not into the table top games, but love many of the computer games that have come out over the years based on the IP.

Currently reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. 

A friend is reading R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books (Dungeons and Dragons stuff) starting with the Dark Elf trilogy (and not Icewind Dale) and is passing them along to me as he finishes, as he knows I'm playing some D&D games with friends.

I had really not read any of those novels (had read a few other D&D novels), but I'm actually pretty impressed, given that those books were some of Salvatore's earliest, they move along at a pleasant pace with fantastic world-building with solid characters.

I guess I was a bit biased - I just assumed most of those novels were extremely pulpy/mass-market.  I can't speak for his other work though, and it definitely helps that I'm into D&D - there's things here and there that were definitely meant for the tabletop fans.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Keflex said:

Anyone read Warhamemr 40k?  I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books which I loved.  I'm not into the table top games, but love many of the computer games that have come out over the years based on the IP.

Can't speak for the books or series, but holy shit, they have 18 Warhammer games coming out between last year and this year.

And 11 of those are Warhammer 40K games.

blink-182 wtf GIF

Salvation sequence from Peter Hamilton was amazing. Some weird futuristic drug/sex parts that weren't the best for audiobook in the truck with the wife and 1 year old, but man I was listening and reading that third book because I wanted to see what happens so badly.

I'm worried his previous work sounds too similar and he's just perfecting the same general story - and this one is the latest.

Anyway, anyone have recommendations?

Going to take a stab here at one of them I haven't read yet

https://www.literature-map.com/peter+f+hamilton

22 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Andy Weir, the author of The Martian, has a new book out called Hail Mary.  It's a combination end of the Earth and first contact.  I thought it was good, but not as good as The Martian.  No potato farming in it, but lots of sciencey stuff.  Quite a bit more far fetched than The Martian.

Well it couldn't be worse than fucking Artemis, because that was a shitty book.

• Hook 'Em 3

Somebody has speculated that Weir is trying to write more books that will get picked up for a TV series or movie option, but I don't know about that.

Meanwhile, Hugh Howey's Wool has been picked up by Apple TV, with Rebecca Ferguson as the female lead.

I'm insanely curious how they take the Wool books and put those on TV.

Then again, they are filming Isaac Asimov's Foundation series as we speak, and I never thought that would happen

Edited by atomheartbevo

I saw those Howey books in the bookstore a while ago and was curious but didn't pull the trigger. Anybody recommend them? I'm a big Abercrombie and Steven Brust fan for fantasy stuff and Alastair Reynolds and Kim Stanley Robinson for harder sci fi stuff if that gives an indication of whether I'd like it.

8 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I saw those Howey books in the bookstore a while ago and was curious but didn't pull the trigger. Anybody recommend them? I'm a big Abercrombie and Steven Brust fan for fantasy stuff and Alastair Reynolds and Kim Stanley Robinson for harder sci fi stuff if that gives an indication of whether I'd like it.

They are an easy read. Nothing groundbreaking. I liked them, but wouldn't re-read.