Are We GDPR Compliant?

After all, might have posters living in the EU, and Surly could get fined by the EU for non-compliance.

I'm kidding, I don't think that would be an issue for Surly, but I've been having to deal with this shit on a few websites (or fielding questions) for the past few months, so I'm going to bitch since the deadline is this week.

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

To my limited understanding, it's going to be an issue for any site that wants to monetize traffic with an ad network.

In which case, Surly is not collecting the personal data, but Google/whoever the ad company is, is the entity collecting the data.

Surly technically isn't doing business in the EU, and they probably already have the proper privacy policies in place.

For a site to reach a point where there are fines, etc., requires a lengthy process with plenty of warnings along the way.

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

My point was that ad companies (Google/whoever) might require GDPR compliance in order to use their ad networks.

surly doesn't require any of the information that would make it run afoul of GDPR (from my understanding of GDPR, which is admittedly limited), so GDPR really doesn't apply. 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

surly doesn't require any of the information that would make it run afoul of GDPR (from my understanding of GDPR, which is admittedly limited), so GDPR really doesn't apply. 

Surly uses and stores emails and probably collects IP history on some level. GDPR is in the mix if there are European users and/or Surly has any revenue from Europe (advertising), but it's very doubtful since Surly is such a localized/niche site.

GDPR is mainly about transparency though, both in making it clear what personal info you collect and what you do with it, and whether you share it (and with whom) and what you must do in the case of a data breach.  Decent privacy policies cover a lot of that, but there is an issue about users being able to download their info/activity (this is a problem for a lot of sites). 

Many companies put it off until recently. 

The good news is that it’s a long and complicated/convoluted process if a site is flagged. And more importantly, you can’t have individuals running around filing lawsuits because some Hello Kitty fan site requires their email address or whatever.  And even more importantly, most 'Mercan websites don't have business operations in Europe and/or have a significant EU presence (if any).

Be thankful you aren't dealing with an e-commerce site that gets a few EU orders every month.

edit: for clarity, and it's actually not that bad of a thing - would be interesting if American companies had to face hefty fines for playing fast and loose with our data.

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I got a compliance email from a place we ate breakfast at in London that I had made a reservation at through Open Table.

That means they intend on contacting you in the future, or they have your personal information.  Starting on the 25th, a lot of places can't just contact you out of the blue unless you've already opted into their email lists.  Those sites where you submit an email with no confirmation can't contact you going forward.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

The Gotdamm Puerto Ricans are ruining this place.

I know right. Once while waiting in a hall for a call from a girl, the phone rang and it was just some friends telling me they were going to come around at 12 with some Puerto Rican girls that dying to meet me.

That girl never called and I really did miss her. It's tough hanging on the phone and sleeping all alone with the consolation prize being a couple of Puerto Rican girls that look like a fat Rosie Perez.

Watching this play out, there are actual American companies, larger companies - some famous newspapers/media conglomerates, etc. who are blocking access to the Europeans because they are not GDPR-compliant.

I see a lot of people basically saying "this is just shitty Europeans trying to dictate what American companies do and they didn't give them enough time and it's too expensive."  

A few problems with that.  We've actually had two years to prepare for this, and technically, even longer, since it's been clear that this was going to happen at some point over the past 5 years.  Also, It's actually some pretty fucking common sense stuff, things like notifying within 72 hours of a data breech, being transparent about the data being collected, etc.  Things that should already be a part of these companies' policies.

I think the real reason why these companies are blocking European traffic and claiming they can't do GDPR is one of two things:

1. Shitty infrastructure that they don't want to update, or rather don't want to pay to update.  I can buy this to an extent, although I think having shitty infrastructure will bite them in the ass at some point, but yeah, I can see plenty of companies looking at the revenue from European traffic and not wanting to bother with spending more to update the software.

2. I think some of these companies do not want to openly post what they do with customer's data.  Nobody wants the public to know they are selling user information to advertisers and marketing agencies.

• 3 weeks later...